|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word did the author use to describe Mrs. Zajac's style in the classroom?
2. What two things happened in Kelly School during the early winter that affected Mrs. Zajac deeply?
(a) Blanca's sudden departure and Lil's death.
(b) Mr. Laudato's leaving and Mary Ann's retirement.
(c) Al's retirement and her husband's transfer.
(d) Mary Ann's retirement and the fire at Kelly School.
3. What did Mrs. Zajac admit she saw more clearly now that Clarence was gone?
(a) She was certain to lose her job.
(b) She was able to see the other children's needs more clearly.
(c) She was a very good teacher.
(d) She was wrong about Clarence.
4. Where did Mrs. Zajac go on St Patrick's Day?
(a) To New York City for the parade.
(b) To the St. Patrick's Day parade.
(c) She stayed home with her children and husband.
(d) To Providence for the weekend.
5. Who was Jim Padden?
(a) Mrs.Zajac's father.
(b) Mrs. Zajac's uncle.
(c) The Alpha teacher.
(d) The sixth grade teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Zajac decide to work on with Claude for the rest of the year?
2. What was one thing Father Joyce noticed about the English speakers during mass?
3. On what did Claude build his model river?
4. With whom did the new student Juanita live?
5. Where had Alice's father taken Alice, Judith, and Margaret to help then with their Science Fair project?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Mrs. Zajac take her class on a field trip? Why did she choose this place for the children to see? Why was this trip especially important to Judith and Arabella?
2. How did Kelly Schools fare on the standardized tees the sixth grade took? How did Principal Laudato respond to this news? How did Mrs. Zajac respond?
3. To what church did Mrs. Zajac belong for all of her life? Why was this? What did Mrs. Zajac enjoy about her church?
4. What is the history of Puerto Ricans in the town of Holyoke? How were they treated in the second half of the twentieth century?
5. What was the Alpha class? Who decided whether a child was appropriate for the Alpha class?
6. What were some of the changes January brought to Mrs. Zajac's class and her students?
7. When was the science fair at Kelly School? Why was this event important to the students and their families?
8. Who were the four students Mrs. Zajac thought would probably fail the sixth grade standardized tests the following year and why? How did she think her other students would perform on the test?
9. How did some of the teachers at Kelly School speak about the Puerto Rican students at Kelly School? Why did they respond this way to them?
10. As the class approached spring break, how did Mrs. Zajac feel about her class? About herself? What were her parting words to Jimmy as the children leave for a week's break?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)