|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Clarence was particularly nasty to Pam, what did Judith say to him?
(a) "Just get out if you don't want to learn."
(b) "Get out of her face."
(c) "You have the brain of a caterpillar."
(d) "Miss Hunt is a good teacher."
2. When was the one time Mrs. Zajac cried in class?
(a) When her students hurt her feelings.
(b) When the Viet Nam war was over.
(c) When the space shuttle exploded and a teacher was killed.
(d) When the planes flew into the Twin Towers.
3. What happened to the Flats in the 1980's?
(a) Michelin Tire Co. opened a factory there.
(b) Rehab companies built high rises.
(c) People set fire to abandoned buildings.
(d) The city turned it into green space.
4. What did Mrs. Zajac say was the important thing Judith and Alice had in common?
(a) They both knew Spanish and English.
(b) They both had two parents who took care of, and cared for them.
(c) They were both in Girl Scouts troops.
(d) They both were church going young girls.
5. What did Mrs. Zajac put on her classroom door before the children arrived?
(a) A red paper schoolhouse.
(b) A picture of herself.
(c) A red paper apple.
(d) A room number.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the two smells in Mrs. Zajac's class at the beginning of the school year?
2. What word did Manny call out in class that caused Mrs. Zajac to bop him on the top of his head with paper?
3. About how many pieces of paper did Mrs. Zajac handle daily at school
4. What were the other subjects students had in the afternoons in Mrs. Zajac's class?
5. Where was Old Ward Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Clarence continued to be a concern in Mrs. Zajac's class. What kinds of things did Clarence do that were of concern to Mrs. Zajac? How did these behaviors contrast with others in the classroom?
2. What are some of the frustrations teachers teaching today face?
3. Where was Mrs. Zajac born, and where did she grow up? What did her father do for a living? What was a unique quality about the town in which she was born?
4. What was math class like for Mrs. Zajac? Why did they provide a particular challenge for her? How did she meet the challenge?
5. What is the subject of Kidder's story? Is it fiction or non-fiction? How does he go about learning about his subject?
6. Why did Clarence immediately catch Mrs. Zajac's eye? What were some of his behaviors in the classroom? What did she and her student teacher Miss Hunt notice about Clarence?
7. How did the fifth grade class celebrate the Christmas break? What did Mrs. Zajac give each child as a Christmas gift?
8. What subject did Mrs. Zajac's students have on Wednesday afternoons? How was the behavior in the classroom different from other times as the students prepared their Halloween project?
9. What were the demographics of Kelly School? Were they in line with the demographics of the community? What else do we know about the families attending Kelly School?
10. In the first chapter, what does the reader learn about Mrs. Zajac? How old is she? How long has she been a teacher? Does she have a family?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)