|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what did Mrs. Zajac compare her Irish ancestors' immigration?
(a) To German immigration.
(b) To the Jews entering Israel.
(c) To the gold rush in California.
(d) To the Puerto Rican immigration.
2. While Robert was in time-out isolation, and Mrs. Zajac accidentally left him with a penny, what did he do with it?
(a) Robert threw it across the room to Dick.
(b) Robert put the penny on Mrs. Zajac's desk
(c) Robert swallowed the penny and began to choke.
(d) Robert scratched the back of his hand open until it bled.
3. What was the topic for Claude's Science Fair project?
(a) A laser beam.
(b) Formation of the oceans.
(c) A water wheel.
(d) The formation of rivers and streams.
4. What question did Clarence ask Mrs. Zajac while he was filling out an application for the Boy Scouts?
(a) "Where do I put my name?"
(b) "What does 'address' mean?"
(c) "Do I have to be a Boy Scout?"
(d) "What is my zip code?"
5. What was one thing Father Joyce noticed about the Hispanic parishioners during the Spanish mass?
(a) They liked to sit together in the front pews.
(b) They left their young children at home.
(c) They liked to interrupt mass with questions.
(d) They gave generously to the church.
6. Where did Mrs. Zajac meet her husband Billy?
(b) Grammar school.
(d) High school.
7. What did Mrs. Zajac see that Robert had tried to create for his Science Fair project?
(a) A camera.
(b) A robot.
(c) An electric light.
(d) A battery.
8. What was the person who arranged the trip to Puerto Rico over spring break?
(a) A teacher at Kelly School.
(b) Alphonse Laudato.
(c) Mrs. Zajac.
(d) Felipe's father.
9. Who was Jim Padden?
(a) Mrs. Zajac's uncle.
(b) Mrs.Zajac's father.
(c) The sixth grade teacher.
(d) The Alpha teacher.
10. What did Mrs. Zajac realize was the reason she was unable to sleep?
(a) She was burned out and did not want to go back to school.
(b) She was asked to be the new principal of Kelly School.
(c) She wanted a divorce from her husband.
(d) She did nothing to prevent Clarence moving out of her classroom.
11. What response did one of Al's critics give after he made a suggestion to the teachers at a meeting?
(b) "The Lord blesses you, Al."
(c) "You can't make me quit, Al."
(d) "What makes you think I can do more than I am?"
12. On what did Claude build his model river?
(a) A piece of plywood.
(b) A piece or cardboard covered in foil.
(c) A metal serving tray.
(d) A wooden crate.
13. What statistic applied to Holyoke School about their standardized test scores?
(a) Almost all students who failed were Mexican American.
(b) Almost all students who failed were sixth graders.
(c) Almost all students who failed were African American.
(d) Almost all students who failed came from impoverished families.
14. What suggestion did Al give the teachers at Kelly School during their staff meeting in March?
(a) "If you want better students, be better disciplinarians."
(b) "If you do not want to be a teacher, find something else to do."
(c) "If you are not happy, think about leaving."
(d) "If you are not teaching, get with it."
15. What was printed on the tee shirts Holyoke's assistant superintendent brought as gifts for their Puerto Rican hosts?
(a) "Holyoke, home of dedicated educators."
(b) "Holyoke, home of the Flats."
(c) "Holyoke, not just another school district."
(d) "Holyoke, birthplace of volleyball."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who left Mrs. Zajac's class in April of the school year?
2. What two things happened in Kelly School during the early winter that affected Mrs. Zajac deeply?
3. Whom did Mrs. Zajac ask to clean out Clarence's desk?
4. How did Kelly School children score on the standardized tests whose results arrived that year?
5. With whom did the new student Juanita live?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)