|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kinds of things appeared around Robert's desk during the school week?
(a) Pencils, erasers, staples, newspapers, comic books.
(b) Books, magazines, comic books, newspapers.
(c) Old candy wrappers, apple cores, pencils, undone homework sheets.
(d) Staples, bits of paper, spiral wires from notebooks, candy wrappers.
2. Whom did Mrs. Zajac ask to clean out Clarence's desk?
3. What question did Clarence ask Mrs. Zajac while he was filling out an application for the Boy Scouts?
(a) "What is my zip code?"
(b) "Where do I put my name?"
(c) "Do I have to be a Boy Scout?"
(d) "What does 'address' mean?"
4. How did Father Joyce define a "cultural Catholic?"
(a) Someone who did not attend mass but still called himself a Catholic.
(b) A second generation Puerto Rican.
(c) A Catholic who lived and breathed the religion.
(d) Someone who was not Catholic but raised children as Catholics.
5. What was one thing Father Joyce noticed about the English speakers during mass?
(a) People stopped talking when they entered the church.
(b) People talked throughout the mass.
(c) People often slept through mass.
(d) People gave generously of their money.
6. Which two girls in Mrs. Zajac's class stayed close together during the field trip?
(a) Judith and Arabella.
(b) Jennifer and Judith.
(c) Ashley and Andrea.
(d) Judith and Ashley.
7. What was a Puerto Rican name for a hypocrite?
8. Where did Felipe live?
(a) In the neighborhood behind the interstate.
(b) In the apartment building across from the school.
(c) In the factory area behind the Flats.
(d) In the renovated northern section of the Flats.
9. What are the two adjectives Mrs. Zajac used to describe her childhood?
(a) Lonely and anxious.
(b) Very happy but constrained.
(c) Confused and anxious.
(d) Happy but very lonely.
10. Where did Mrs. Zajac go on St Patrick's Day?
(a) To New York City for the parade.
(b) To Providence for the weekend.
(c) She stayed home with her children and husband.
(d) To the St. Patrick's Day parade.
11. When did the first five Puerto Rican families arrive in Holyoke?
12. What was printed on the tee shirts Holyoke's assistant superintendent brought as gifts for their Puerto Rican hosts?
(a) "Holyoke, not just another school district."
(b) "Holyoke, birthplace of volleyball."
(c) "Holyoke, home of the Flats."
(d) "Holyoke, home of dedicated educators."
13. What is the name of the alternative junior high school in Holyoke?
(a) Lincoln Square.
(d) Church Square.
14. What did Mrs. Zajac's class smell like in the spring?
(a) Cedar wood chips.
(b) Flowers from the class garden.
(c) Construction paper.
(d) The sour smell of sneakers.
15. What song did the girls sing on the bus ride from their field trip back to school?
(a) "Five Little Monkeys."
(b) "Miss Merry Mac-Mac-Mac."
(c) "Miss Suzie."
(d) "School Days, School Days."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the chief disciplinarian and organizer in Mrs. Zajac's family?
2. With what fictional character did Mrs. Zajac compare herself to as she led her students in the halls?
3. On what did Claude build his model river?
4. How did Kelly School children score on the standardized tests whose results arrived that year?
5. What did Irish immigrants bring to America with them as keepsakes of their home?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)