|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a Puerto Rican name for a hypocrite?
2. Where had Alice's father taken Alice, Judith, and Margaret to help then with their Science Fair project?
(a) The Holyoke water power plant.
(b) The Holyoke library.
(c) The Holyoke city hall.
(d) The Holyoke electric power plant.
3. What did Mrs. Zajac think about the Science Fair while resting in the center of the gym?
(a) This was the worst fair she could remember.
(b) This was much too difficult for the children to understand.
(c) This was the best fair she could remember.
(d) The school needed a full time science teacher.
4. Where did Mrs. Zajac go on St Patrick's Day?
(a) She stayed home with her children and husband.
(b) To Providence for the weekend.
(c) To the St. Patrick's Day parade.
(d) To New York City for the parade.
5. What was the person who arranged the trip to Puerto Rico over spring break?
(a) A teacher at Kelly School.
(b) Felipe's father.
(c) Alphonse Laudato.
(d) Mrs. Zajac.
6. What important thing happened to Judith in January?
(a) She got a new puppy.
(b) She got braces.
(c) She got glasses.
(d) She was promoted to sixth grade.
7. What did Felipe see out of the field trip bus window?
(d) Burger King.
8. What did Mrs. Zajac decide to work on with Claude for the rest of the year?
(a) His organizational skills.
(b) His use of proper English.
(c) His need to run around the classroom screaming?
(d) His attitude toward his classmates.
9. When she returned from February vacation, what does Mrs. Zajac think about Clarence?
(a) "There is no end to his arrogance."
(b) "I am controlling him a lot and teaching him little."
(c) "I do not think I can pass him into sixth grade."
(d) "That child needs more attention."
10. What was the name of the newspaper Felipe bought and brought home to his father and a resident of his building?
(d) Puerto Rican-Telegram.
11. What did Judith say to Mrs. Zajac as the class looked out on the open field and pastureland?
(a) "I want to live here."
(b) "Is it quiet like this in Puerto Rico?"
(c) "I am ready to go home now."
(d) "My father would love this."
12. What did Mrs. Zajac dread telling Clarence before spring break?
(a) That he was being expelled from school.
(b) That she was placing his desk in the hall for the rest of the year.
(c) That he was being moved to a special class.
(d) That she was moving to the sixth grade.
13. What did Mrs. Zajac's class smell like in the spring?
(a) Flowers from the class garden.
(b) Cedar wood chips.
(c) The sour smell of sneakers.
(d) Construction paper.
14. How did Kelly School children score on the standardized tests whose results arrived that year?
(a) Holyoke students had some of the lowest test scores in the state.
(b) Holyoke students improved their scores by over fifty percent.
(c) Holyoke students were in the middle third with their scores.
(d) Holyoke students had some of the highest scores in the state.
15. What word did the author use to describe Mrs. Zajac's style in the classroom?
Short Answer Questions
1. With what fictional character did Mrs. Zajac compare herself to as she led her students in the halls?
2. What was one thing Father Joyce noticed about the English speakers during mass?
3. What was the topic for Claude's Science Fair project?
4. When did the first five Puerto Rican families arrive in Holyoke?
5. Which students worked with Claude on a Science Fair project?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)