|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Mrs. Zajac eat lunch every day and with whom?
(a) In her car where there was peace and quiet.
(b) Outside on a picnic table in the playground.
(c) In the teachers' room with her friend Mary Ann.
(d) In the cafeteria at the teachers' table.
2. What quality did Mrs. Zajac think Pam displayed that was most important for a new teacher?
(a) Her determination to get through her assigned work.
(b) The sense of order she wanted to have.
(c) Her detachment from the children.
(d) The emotion she brought to the job.
3. What is "dual captivity?"
(a) A student has to be in school, and the teacher has to teach them.
(b) A parent must send their children to school and school must keep them.
(c) A teacher may not leave the room unless the students do too.
(d) A students cannot leave the classroom without the teacher's permission.
4. What was the first social studies question Mrs. Zajac asked her class?
(a) "What planet do we live on?"
(b) "What is the name of the country to the north of us?"
(c) "What country is to the south of us?"
(d) "What is the name of our country?"
5. What different kinds of reports did Mrs Zajac assign to her students monthly?
(a) Book, science, social studies reports, and several stories.
(b) Book, ancient history, and biology reports.
(c) Book, current events and general science reports.
(d) Book and history reports and creative writing.
6. What was one thing Mrs. Zajac expected from her students?
(a) That they raised their hand.
(b) That they knew the Pledge of Allegiance.
(c) That they remained quiet in class.
(d) That they did their best.
7. What were the other subjects students had in the afternoons in Mrs. Zajac's class?
(a) Creative writing and science.
(b) English and history.
(c) Social studies and math.
(d) Math and social studies.
8. About how many "personal interactions" does a teacher need to manage successfully in order for students to feel secure?
(a) About fifty.
(b) About two hundred.
(c) About three hundred.
(d) About one hundred.
9. What were the two smells in Mrs. Zajac's class at the beginning of the school year?
(a) Construction paper, and roach and rodent spray.
(b) Flowers from outside and bologna sandwiches.
(c) Crayons and new books.
(d) Floor cleaner and rubber cement.
10. What did Judith tell Mrs. Zajac she wanted to do when she got older?
(a) Get married and have children.
(b) Learn to be a fashion designer.
(c) Live in New York and become an actress.
(d) Go to college.
11. What did Mrs. Zajac say about Judith when comparing the child with herself?
(a) Judith was as smart as she was.
(b) Judith was about as mature as she was.
(c) Judith was as tired as she was.
(d) Judith was as outgoing as she was.
12. What did Pedro's mother write on the bottom of his permission slip for the core evaluation?
(a) "I am afraid Pedro will not sit still for all of the tests."
(b) "I think it is kind of you to do this for my son."
(c) "I am sick with high blood pressure. I want to die."
(d) "Do not bother my son Pedro, everything is fine."
13. When she canceled science for a day, what did Mrs. Zajac substitute in its stead?
(a) Independent reading.
(b) Creative writing.
(c) An informal art lesson.
14. What was the name of the bilingual teacher next door to Mrs. Zajac's classroom?
(a) Victor Hernandez.
(b) Vincent Garcia.
(c) Vincent Pena.
(d) Victor Guevara.
15. What book did Mrs. Zajac read at the end of her summer break?
(a) "How to Teach."
(b) "The Art of Teaching Writing."
(c) "The Art of Creative Writing."
(d) "How Children Learn."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Zajac tell her students to think when they hand in their work to her?
2. What did Mrs. Zajac worry about after asking Jimmy why he was so tired?
3. What was the last sharp ethnic division left in Holyoke when Mrs. Zajac was teaching?
4. Where had Mrs. Zajac done her student teaching?
5. What was unusual about Pedro's uncle who lived with him?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)