September, Chapters 1-3, (pg 1-24)
• "Among Schoolchildren" is a book about a fifth grade class in Holyoke, Massachusetts.
• The author spent a year observing the Kelly School classroom of Christine Zajac.
• The author explains the difficulties Mrs. Zajac faces in a poor neighborhood school.
• The experiences in Mrs. Zajac's classroom serve as a comment on American schools in general.
• The chapter begins with Mrs. Zajac, who has been teaching for fourteen years, meeting her new students.
• Mrs. Zajac, who is thirty-four, dresses in skirt or dress daily.
• She dresses formally in order to show her students she is serious about her work.
• The majority of children in Mrs. Zajac's class are Puerto Rican, and there are African American and white students.
• Mrs. Zajac's mantra with the children is "If you don't do your best, Mrs. Zajac will make you do it again."
• Mrs. Zajac allows the students to...
This section contains 2,795 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)