|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charles Boyer's wife named?
2. Fulghum states that inspiration for brevity came from a particular place. What was this place?
3. Charles Boyer sat by his wife's bedside to provide her with hope and cheer day and night for how long?
4. Fulghum says that the neighbor lady thinks the spider is as big as what?
5. According to Fulghum, where is all the software needed to run an abacus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fulghum think we learn from the song "The Eensy-Weensy Spider"?
2. Describe what the gummy lump box looks like.
3. Describe Fulghum's Crayola bomb idea.
4. How many places does Fulghum rank for their chicken fried steak, and who receives the most stars and why?
5. When Fulghum was younger what was his list or credo like?
6. What happened after Fulghum's washer died on him in the middle of a load of laundry?
7. In Chapter 6, why did the soldiers and priests set out for a spot on the San Saba River?
8. What does Fulghum think of the way Charles Boyer ended his life?
9. In the Solomon Islands what is some villagers' special way of logging?
10. In Chapter 6, why does Fulghum say that goat roping is some entertainment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 32, Fulghum discusses the clay tablet in the British Museum that contains a census. Discuss some of the facts that Fulghum talks about concerning the earth's mass and people as they relate to each other. Why do you think Fulghum discusses the mass of the earth versus people and the quality of people in the first place? What is Locard's Exchange Principle, and how does it play a role in Fulghum's story? What does Fulghum mean when he says, "We are the stuff of stars"?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Robert Fulghum talks about his wife and a little bit about their relationship. Describe Robert Fulghum and his wife's relationship. Would you consider Fulghum and his wife's relationships a good one? Why or why not? How does Fulghum feel about his wife? How do you think Fulghum's wife feels about him? Why? What kind of dynamic does this bring to Fulghum's stories? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Fulghum speaks of his lawyer friend who says that we should just be and that life is all crap and it's all lies. Why do you think his friend feels this way? Why do you think someone who has been through so many experiences in life still thinks that his philosophy on life is wrong? Do you think Fulghum believes that life is "all crap" and that we should "just be"? Why or why not? Do you think Fulghum's lawyer friend is being cynical about life, or is he being more skeptical? Explain your answers, and use specific examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)