|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month of the year did the Indians that the soldiers were waiting for finally show up?
2. Where does Fulghum claim wisdom is found?
3. How many years was Charles Boyer married to his wife?
4. When Fulghum is at the laundromat he sees an old woman folding what type of clothing?
5. Fulghum tells the reader that goats are really cheap in San Saba and you can buy one for about how much?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Fulghum is reading the historical marker in the town square in San Saba in Chapter 6, what do a pair of elderly gentlemen tell him?
2. Describe how Fulghum listens to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.
3. In Chapter 44, why does a man go to his rabbi, and why does the rabbi refer the man to The New York Times Almanac?
4. What does Fulghum think of the way Charles Boyer ended his life?
5. In Chapter 33, what does Fulghum say is his first clue that Elias Schwartz is the new Haiho Lama?
6. What were some of the reasons that Fulghum gives for visiting the town of San Saba?
7. What is the purpose of the larval form of the Cassida Rubignosa carrying a small sack of garbage on its back?
8. At the end of his book, what are some of the other stories that Fulghum says he will tell the next time?
9. What was the name of Charles Boyer's wife? What happened to her?
10. In Chapter 36, what happens when Fulghum stops to help a couple that has a dead car battery and he and the stranded man try to find the battery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, there are places when readers can learn interesting facts that they might not have known about previously. What things in the book are educational? What new things did you learn from the book? Was there anything you learned about that you had never heard of or known about? If so, what was it ?
Essay Topic 2
Who is your favorite person in the book? Why did this person appeal to you? What characteristics did you like about this person? Were there any characteristics you didn't like about this person? Why? What does this person add to the particular story that he or she is featured in? How would the story be different if this person did not exist? Would anything remain the same in the story if this person was absent? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Donnie's character from Chapter 30. Which of Donnie's qualities makes it hard for Fulghum to turn down his raking inquiry? What was Donnie's work ethic like? Even though Robert Fulghum didn't really want his leaves raked, do you think he was glad that he hired Donnie to help? If so, in what ways? Why do you think Donnie didn't charge Fulghum more money than his normal rate even though Fulghum's yard was abnormally full of leaves? What does this say about Donnie's character and desire to work? Explain your answers.
This section contains 2,711 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)