|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the military units who have entered Angola encounter the Russian soldiers, how many Russian soldiers were killed?
2. What especially does Fulghum say we yell at besides bills and banks and traffic and umpires?
3. Fulghum says that no matter how old you are, when you go out in the world it is best to do what?
4. In its larval form, what does the Cassida Rubignosa beetle carry on it's back?
5. When the remnants from the fight with the Indian tribe left San Saba, where did they head back to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the larval form of the Cassida Rubignosa carrying a small sack of garbage on its back?
2. In Chapter 13, Fulghum talks about introducing his godchild to the good things in life. What are some of those things that Fulghum says he'll introduce to his godchild?
3. Describe Fulghum's Crayola bomb idea.
4. When Fulghum is reading the historical marker in the town square in San Saba in Chapter 6, what do a pair of elderly gentlemen tell him?
5. Describe what the gummy lump box looks like.
6. What are some things that Fulghum enjoys about doing laundry?
7. Why does Fulghum decide to tell the reader about his favorite place for chicken fried steak?
8. What does Fulghum think we learn from the song "The Eensy-Weensy Spider"?
9. What happened after Fulghum's washer died on him in the middle of a load of laundry?
10. Who is Charles Boyer? Why does Fulghum mention his story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though Fulghum jumps from story to story and doesn't really go in any type of chronological order, does the book still seem to flow when you read it? Why or why not? After reading only short stories about so many different times, places, and individuals, was there enough to interest you as a reader and keep you wanting more as you read the book? If so, how does Fulghum create this in his writing? If not, why were you not interested or involved with the book and people? Why do you think Robert Fulghum wrote the book the way he did with short stories and short chapters? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Of all the stories that Fulghum tells in his book, what are your three favorite stories and why? Explain the reason for picking each one of these stories and why you are drawn to it. How do you think these three favorite stories of yours changed Fulghum's life? Do you think Fulghum changed at all during the events of these stories, or did he ponder and change afterward? If so, how and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Donnie's character from Chapter 30. Which of Donnie's qualities makes it hard for Fulghum to turn down his raking inquiry? What was Donnie's work ethic like? Even though Robert Fulghum didn't really want his leaves raked, do you think he was glad that he hired Donnie to help? If so, in what ways? Why do you think Donnie didn't charge Fulghum more money than his normal rate even though Fulghum's yard was abnormally full of leaves? What does this say about Donnie's character and desire to work? Explain your answers.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)