|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Fulghum claim he thinks about every morning as he dresses?
2. In the story of San Saba, Fulghum tells us that two thousand people from a certain tribe showed up to fight the soldiers and priests. What tribe did they come from?
3. In the story of the town of San Saba, Fulghum tells of something that is creating a big excitement in town. Who creates this excitement?
4. In the story of San Saba, the men had come in search of treasure. Where was this treasure supposedly located?
5. What does Fulghum claim the spider is thinking about having for breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the name of Charles Boyer's wife? What happened to her?
2. What does Fulghum think we learn from the song "The Eensy-Weensy Spider"?
3. Describe Fulghum's experience of buying Tony Lama boots at Harry's Store in San Saba.
4. What happened after Fulghum's washer died on him in the middle of a load of laundry?
5. What were some of the reasons that Fulghum gives for visiting the town of San Saba?
6. How many places does Fulghum rank for their chicken fried steak, and who receives the most stars and why?
7. What is the purpose of the larval form of the Cassida Rubignosa carrying a small sack of garbage on its back?
8. In Chapter 6, why did the soldiers and priests set out for a spot on the San Saba River?
9. When Fulghum was younger what was his list or credo like?
10. Why does Fulghum decide to tell the reader about his favorite place for chicken fried steak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is your favorite person in the book? Why did this person appeal to you? What characteristics did you like about this person? Were there any characteristics you didn't like about this person? Why? What does this person add to the particular story that he or she is featured in? How would the story be different if this person did not exist? Would anything remain the same in the story if this person was absent? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Of all the stories that Fulghum tells in his book, what are your three favorite stories and why? Explain the reason for picking each one of these stories and why you are drawn to it. How do you think these three favorite stories of yours changed Fulghum's life? Do you think Fulghum changed at all during the events of these stories, or did he ponder and change afterward? If so, how and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Donnie's character from Chapter 30. Which of Donnie's qualities makes it hard for Fulghum to turn down his raking inquiry? What was Donnie's work ethic like? Even though Robert Fulghum didn't really want his leaves raked, do you think he was glad that he hired Donnie to help? If so, in what ways? Why do you think Donnie didn't charge Fulghum more money than his normal rate even though Fulghum's yard was abnormally full of leaves? What does this say about Donnie's character and desire to work? Explain your answers.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)