|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Fulghum speaks of the gummy lump, he states that there are three colors of construction paper that are used: pink, red, and what?
2. Fulghum states that inspiration for brevity came from a particular place. What was this place?
3. How long do the woodsmen in the Solomon Islands continue their ritual for one tree?
4. How many Xs and Os does Fulghum say are glued to the bottom of the gummy lump box?
5. When Fulghum talks about folding the laundry, where does he state he takes the laundry to fold it?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, why did the soldiers and priests set out for a spot on the San Saba River?
2. How many places does Fulghum rank for their chicken fried steak, and who receives the most stars and why?
3. How does Fulghum's lawyer friend whom he mentions in Chapter 12 travel?
4. In Chapter 6, why does Fulghum say that goat roping is some entertainment?
5. When Fulghum is reading the historical marker in the town square in San Saba in Chapter 6, what do a pair of elderly gentlemen tell him?
6. What happened after Fulghum's washer died on him in the middle of a load of laundry?
7. What are some things that Fulghum enjoys about doing laundry?
8. What are some of the things that Fulghum learned in kindergarten that can be applied to everyone at any age?
9. What are some things that Fulghum says he yells at?
10. In the Solomon Islands what is some villagers' special way of logging?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 51, Fulghum discusses Mother Teresa. Why do you think the author waits until the end of the book to tell his story about Mother Teresa? Does her story help conclude Fulghum's book in any way? Why do you think Fulghum says that Mother Teresa has "profoundly disturbed my peace of mind for a long time"? Fulghum even goes as far as to say that she drives him crazy. Why do you think he sets up her story in this manner? Use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
This book is a collection of some of Robert Fulghum's essays and stories as told from his perspective. How do you think Fulghum's perspective on some of these stories affected the way it was told or even affected the outcome of the story? How would some of the stories be different if they were told through another person's perspective? Explain your answers, and use evidence from the book to support those answers.
Essay Topic 3
Who is your favorite person in the book? Why did this person appeal to you? What characteristics did you like about this person? Were there any characteristics you didn't like about this person? Why? What does this person add to the particular story that he or she is featured in? How would the story be different if this person did not exist? Would anything remain the same in the story if this person was absent? Why or why not?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)