|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fulghum states hamsters, white mice, and the little seed in the Styrofoam cup still die in the end. What other thing does Fulghum mention besides these three things?
2. What does Fulghum say can be bought for 35 cents at Bob Everette's Drugstore?
3. Fulghum tells the reader that goats are really cheap in San Saba and you can buy one for about how much?
4. Fulghum says that the neighbor lady thinks the spider is as big as what?
5. What type of laundry detergent does Fulghum claim he uses?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, Fulghum talks about introducing his godchild to the good things in life. What are some of those things that Fulghum says he'll introduce to his godchild?
2. In Chapter 14, what is Fulghum's personal need that he discusses, and how is it made?
3. How many places does Fulghum rank for their chicken fried steak, and who receives the most stars and why?
4. What does Fulghum think of the way Charles Boyer ended his life?
5. Who is Charles Boyer? Why does Fulghum mention his story?
6. Describe Fulghum's experience of buying Tony Lama boots at Harry's Store in San Saba.
7. Why does Fulghum decide to tell the reader about his favorite place for chicken fried steak?
8. What are some things that Fulghum says he yells at?
9. What are some things that Fulghum enjoys about doing laundry?
10. Describe what the gummy lump box looks like.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, there are places when readers can learn interesting facts that they might not have known about previously. What things in the book are educational? What new things did you learn from the book? Was there anything you learned about that you had never heard of or known about? If so, what was it ?
Essay Topic 2
Fulghum seems to include a lot of humor with his stories and life lessons. Why do you think humor is so important in solving problems and dealing with life? How do you think Fulghum uses humor in his writing and in dealing with life? What kind of person do you see Robert Fulghum as being? Why? What evidence from the stories brings you to this conclusion? How do you think Fulghum feels about his friends and family? Does he use humor in most his dealings with neighbors and family? If so, do you think this helps his dealings with his fellow man? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Of all the stories that Fulghum tells in his book, what are your three favorite stories and why? Explain the reason for picking each one of these stories and why you are drawn to it. How do you think these three favorite stories of yours changed Fulghum's life? Do you think Fulghum changed at all during the events of these stories, or did he ponder and change afterward? If so, how and why?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)