|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Fulghum speaks of the gummy lump, he states that there are three colors of construction paper that are used: pink, red, and what?
2. In Chapter 13, Fulghum talks about his godchild having a crayon in one hand and what in the other?
3. When Fulghum writes his personal beliefs down, how many pages does he try to fill?
4. On August 24, where are the military units from that enter Angola in an offensive against the black nationalist guerrillas?
5. What type of laundry detergent does Fulghum claim he uses?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what is Fulghum's personal need that he discusses, and how is it made?
2. Describe what the gummy lump box looks like.
3. What are some things that Fulghum says he yells at?
4. What is the purpose of the larval form of the Cassida Rubignosa carrying a small sack of garbage on its back?
5. When Fulghum was younger what was his list or credo like?
6. In Chapter 13, Fulghum talks about introducing his godchild to the good things in life. What are some of those things that Fulghum says he'll introduce to his godchild?
7. In the Solomon Islands what is some villagers' special way of logging?
8. How does Fulghum's lawyer friend whom he mentions in Chapter 12 travel?
9. In Chapter 6, why does Fulghum say that goat roping is some entertainment?
10. What happened after Fulghum's washer died on him in the middle of a load of laundry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 31, what does Fulghum say is the perfect cure for feeling depressed and down about yourself? Why does he feel this solution will help? How does this solution help him? How do you feel about this solution, and do you think it would help you if you were feeling down? Why or why not? Do you think Beethoven was able to defy his deafness by creating such wonderful compositions? How do you think he was able to overcome his developing weakness? Do you think Beethoven thought of how inspirational his works would be to others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 32, Fulghum discusses the clay tablet in the British Museum that contains a census. Discuss some of the facts that Fulghum talks about concerning the earth's mass and people as they relate to each other. Why do you think Fulghum discusses the mass of the earth versus people and the quality of people in the first place? What is Locard's Exchange Principle, and how does it play a role in Fulghum's story? What does Fulghum mean when he says, "We are the stuff of stars"?
Essay Topic 3
Fulghum speaks of his lawyer friend who says that we should just be and that life is all crap and it's all lies. Why do you think his friend feels this way? Why do you think someone who has been through so many experiences in life still thinks that his philosophy on life is wrong? Do you think Fulghum believes that life is "all crap" and that we should "just be"? Why or why not? Do you think Fulghum's lawyer friend is being cynical about life, or is he being more skeptical? Explain your answers, and use specific examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)