|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, Fulghum says that if you want to experience an interesting party sometime, you should combine crayons with what?
2. Fulghum says that he's been know to shake his fist and yell at what?
3. In Chapter 13, Fulghum talks about his godchild having a crayon in one hand and what in the other?
4. Fulghum tells the reader that goats are really cheap in San Saba and you can buy one for about how much?
5. When writing about the establishment of San Saba, how many priests does Fulghum say accompanied the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Fulghum is reading the historical marker in the town square in San Saba in Chapter 6, what do a pair of elderly gentlemen tell him?
2. When Fulghum was younger what was his list or credo like?
3. Describe Fulghum's experience of buying Tony Lama boots at Harry's Store in San Saba.
4. Describe the lady in Chapter 7 as she comes out of her house.
5. What are some things that Fulghum enjoys about doing laundry?
6. Why does Fulghum decide to tell the reader about his favorite place for chicken fried steak?
7. How does Fulghum's lawyer friend whom he mentions in Chapter 12 travel?
8. What does the lady in Chapter 7 do after she runs into the spider web on her porch?
9. How many places does Fulghum rank for their chicken fried steak, and who receives the most stars and why?
10. Describe Fulghum's Crayola bomb idea.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Donnie's character from Chapter 30. Which of Donnie's qualities makes it hard for Fulghum to turn down his raking inquiry? What was Donnie's work ethic like? Even though Robert Fulghum didn't really want his leaves raked, do you think he was glad that he hired Donnie to help? If so, in what ways? Why do you think Donnie didn't charge Fulghum more money than his normal rate even though Fulghum's yard was abnormally full of leaves? What does this say about Donnie's character and desire to work? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Even though Fulghum jumps from story to story and doesn't really go in any type of chronological order, does the book still seem to flow when you read it? Why or why not? After reading only short stories about so many different times, places, and individuals, was there enough to interest you as a reader and keep you wanting more as you read the book? If so, how does Fulghum create this in his writing? If not, why were you not interested or involved with the book and people? Why do you think Robert Fulghum wrote the book the way he did with short stories and short chapters? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Robert Fulghum talks about his wife and a little bit about their relationship. Describe Robert Fulghum and his wife's relationship. Would you consider Fulghum and his wife's relationships a good one? Why or why not? How does Fulghum feel about his wife? How do you think Fulghum's wife feels about him? Why? What kind of dynamic does this bring to Fulghum's stories? Explain your answers.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)