|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter about the neighbor woman and the spider, Fulghum states that spiders have been around for how many years?
2. When the military units who have entered Angola encounter the Russian soldiers, how many Russian soldiers were killed?
3. Charles Boyer sat by his wife's bedside to provide her with hope and cheer day and night for how long?
4. While the soldiers and priests in San Saba waited for the Indians to show up, how did they bide their time?
5. At the end of Chapter 4, Fulghum claims that words will do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 33, what does Fulghum say is his first clue that Elias Schwartz is the new Haiho Lama?
2. When Fulghum was younger what was his list or credo like?
3. In Chapter 19, when Mr. Washington comes over to Fulghum's home and starts spraying the dandelions, what kind of discussion does this spark?
4. Describe Fulghum's Crayola bomb idea.
5. How does Fulghum think people's attitude would be different if dandelions were rare and fragile?
6. What are some of the things that Fulghum learned in kindergarten that can be applied to everyone at any age?
7. At the end of Chapter 48, what does Fulghum's grandfather say he blesses God each day for?
8. In Chapter 31, what does Fulghum state he'll do on some December night when he is very rich?
9. What does the author do in Chapter 28 when his cuckoo clock is not working properly, and what happens to the clock?
10. Describe Fulghum's ride home in an ancient pickup truck in Chapter 17.
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 51, Fulghum discusses Mother Teresa. Why do you think the author waits until the end of the book to tell his story about Mother Teresa? Does her story help conclude Fulghum's book in any way? Why do you think Fulghum says that Mother Teresa has "profoundly disturbed my peace of mind for a long time"? Fulghum even goes as far as to say that she drives him crazy. Why do you think he sets up her story in this manner? Use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Fulghum mentions games in his book such as hide-and-seek and giants, wizards, and dwarfs. How does Fulghum relate these games to life lessons? What game does Fulghum mention he likes better than hide-and-seek, and why does he say he likes it better? Why does Fulghum want the kid who is hiding really well to get found? What does this phrase "get found" mean to Fulghum? What did the little girl wanting to be a mermaid change about Fulghum's outlook on his game and on life?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 32, Fulghum discusses the clay tablet in the British Museum that contains a census. Discuss some of the facts that Fulghum talks about concerning the earth's mass and people as they relate to each other. Why do you think Fulghum discusses the mass of the earth versus people and the quality of people in the first place? What is Locard's Exchange Principle, and how does it play a role in Fulghum's story? What does Fulghum mean when he says, "We are the stuff of stars"?
This section contains 2,583 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)