|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fulghum tells the reader that goats are really cheap in San Saba and you can buy one for about how much?
2. At the end of Chapter 10, Fulghum asks a question about something not being easy. What is he talking about?
3. In the Solomon Islands, the villagers practice a unique form of what?
4. In Chapter 9, what does Fulghum claim he thinks about every morning as he dresses?
5. When Fulghum talks about the dances after the goat roping events, he says he could sit by the river and eat what kind of sandwich?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the lady in Chapter 7 as she comes out of her house.
2. Why does Fulghum not agree with the thought that Russians are rotten and immoral?
3. Who is Charles Boyer? Why does Fulghum mention his story?
4. What is the purpose of the larval form of the Cassida Rubignosa carrying a small sack of garbage on its back?
5. What does Fulghum think of the way Charles Boyer ended his life?
6. What does Fulghum claim a detergent for people would clean?
7. What does the lady in Chapter 7 do after she runs into the spider web on her porch?
8. Describe Fulghum's Crayola bomb idea.
9. How does Fulghum's lawyer friend whom he mentions in Chapter 12 travel?
10. In the Solomon Islands what is some villagers' special way of logging?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe V.P. Menon's character is the book. What motivated Menon to "pay it forward"? How did Menon make up his debt from the Sikh? As a person who quit school at thirteen, how was Menon still wise in many ways? In what ways did Menon become the best person he could be? What do you think motivated Menon to become who he was? How will Menon's name and legacy live on? Explain your answers by using specific material from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Fulghum ends his book the way he does? Does that help the reader reach a conclusion, or does it leave the reader hanging? Was this Fulghum's intention? Why or why not? Do you think Fulghum could have ended his book any other way? If so, how? If not, why do you think this was the most effective ending?
Essay Topic 3
Of all the stories that Fulghum tells in his book, what are your three favorite stories and why? Explain the reason for picking each one of these stories and why you are drawn to it. How do you think these three favorite stories of yours changed Fulghum's life? Do you think Fulghum changed at all during the events of these stories, or did he ponder and change afterward? If so, how and why?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)