Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many different kinds of macaroni does the gummy lump box consist of?
2. When Fulghum's washer and dryer quit working, where is the laundromat that he has to go to?
3. Fulghum thinks it would be a better world if we all had cookies and milk at what time?
4. When Fulghum writes his personal beliefs down, how many pages does he try to fill?
5. What song does Fulghum claim his neighbor lady reminded him of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after Fulghum's washer died on him in the middle of a load of laundry?
2. What does Fulghum claim a detergent for people would clean?
3. Why does Fulghum decide to tell the reader about his favorite place for chicken fried steak?
4. In Chapter 36, what happens when Fulghum stops to help a couple that has a dead car battery and he and the stranded man try to find the battery?
5. Describe how Fulghum listens to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.
6. What does the author do in Chapter 28 when his cuckoo clock is not working properly, and what happens to the clock?
7. In Chapter 34, Fulghum discusses the two items that make up the majority of stuff. What are some of the other miscellaneous items that make up stuff?
8. In Chapter 29, what does the couple that lives across the street from the author buy to ride on, and how does the couple ride it?
9. Describe what the gummy lump box looks like.
10. Describe Fulghum's experience of buying Tony Lama boots at Harry's Store in San Saba.
Essay Topic 1
Fulghum mentions games in his book such as hide-and-seek and giants, wizards, and dwarfs. How does Fulghum relate these games to life lessons? What game does Fulghum mention he likes better than hide-and-seek, and why does he say he likes it better? Why does Fulghum want the kid who is hiding really well to get found? What does this phrase "get found" mean to Fulghum? What did the little girl wanting to be a mermaid change about Fulghum's outlook on his game and on life?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 51, Fulghum discusses Mother Teresa. Why do you think the author waits until the end of the book to tell his story about Mother Teresa? Does her story help conclude Fulghum's book in any way? Why do you think Fulghum says that Mother Teresa has "profoundly disturbed my peace of mind for a long time"? Fulghum even goes as far as to say that she drives him crazy. Why do you think he sets up her story in this manner? Use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How do you think Fulghum's interactions with children in his stories help emphasize the idea behind the book? How does Fulghum capture the innocence and honesty of children in his stories? Even in their worst form (when the boys are trying to kill all the moths) how does Fulghum still make the children he writes about endearing? Do you think Fulghum truly feels this way about children? Why or why not? Use specific examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)