|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of laundry detergent does Fulghum claim he uses?
2. When Fulghum sees his neighbor lady coming out her front door, what kind of mode does she say she is in?
3. How many years was Charles Boyer married to his wife?
4. In Chapter 5 about the abacus, Fulghum claims there are millions of people that still use the abacus. Where are these people located?
5. What time do the animals under Fulghum's porch chose to mate in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fulghum's lawyer friend whom he mentions in Chapter 12 travel?
2. What does Fulghum think we learn from the song "The Eensy-Weensy Spider"?
3. In Chapter 14, what is Fulghum's personal need that he discusses, and how is it made?
4. What things does Fulghum mention that an abacus is good for?
5. What are some of the things that Fulghum learned in kindergarten that can be applied to everyone at any age?
6. In Chapter 6, why did the soldiers and priests set out for a spot on the San Saba River?
7. Why does Fulghum not agree with the thought that Russians are rotten and immoral?
8. What does Fulghum claim a detergent for people would clean?
9. Describe the lady in Chapter 7 as she comes out of her house.
10. What is the purpose of the larval form of the Cassida Rubignosa carrying a small sack of garbage on its back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 51, Fulghum discusses Mother Teresa. Why do you think the author waits until the end of the book to tell his story about Mother Teresa? Does her story help conclude Fulghum's book in any way? Why do you think Fulghum says that Mother Teresa has "profoundly disturbed my peace of mind for a long time"? Fulghum even goes as far as to say that she drives him crazy. Why do you think he sets up her story in this manner? Use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Fulghum's book, he mentions that as he gets older his credo, or list, has gotten shorter. Why do you think Fulghum spent so much time, effort, and paper keeping track of all his thoughts and personal feelings when he was younger but now feels he does not have to do that anymore? Why do you think Fulghum chose the stories he did to be included in his book? Do you think all Fulghum's stories teach different lessons, or are there some stories that reemphasize what Fulghum has already concluded? Explain your reasoning, and use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe V.P. Menon's character is the book. What motivated Menon to "pay it forward"? How did Menon make up his debt from the Sikh? As a person who quit school at thirteen, how was Menon still wise in many ways? In what ways did Menon become the best person he could be? What do you think motivated Menon to become who he was? How will Menon's name and legacy live on? Explain your answers by using specific material from the book.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)