|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crayon name does Fulghum say is the only crayon name that has been changed?
2. How many Xs and Os does Fulghum say are glued to the bottom of the gummy lump box?
3. What school supply does Fulghum claim tastes like what the little white hearts taste like?
4. Where does Fulghum claim wisdom is found?
5. At the end of Chapter 10, Fulghum asks a question about something not being easy. What is he talking about?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 40, what happens when V.P. Menon arrives in Delhi to seek a job in government?
2. How does Fulghum think people's attitude would be different if dandelions were rare and fragile?
3. What is the purpose of the larval form of the Cassida Rubignosa carrying a small sack of garbage on its back?
4. In Chapter 34, Fulghum discusses the two items that make up the majority of stuff. What are some of the other miscellaneous items that make up stuff?
5. Why does Fulghum decide to tell the reader about his favorite place for chicken fried steak?
6. At the end of Chapter 48, what does Fulghum's grandfather say he blesses God each day for?
7. In Chapter 31, what does Fulghum state he'll do on some December night when he is very rich?
8. Why does Fulghum tell the reader in Chapter 16 to not be mislead by the stories we hear of crookedness and corruption?
9. What things does Fulghum mention that an abacus is good for?
10. In Chapter 33, what does Fulghum say is his first clue that Elias Schwartz is the new Haiho Lama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Robert Fulghum talks about his wife and a little bit about their relationship. Describe Robert Fulghum and his wife's relationship. Would you consider Fulghum and his wife's relationships a good one? Why or why not? How does Fulghum feel about his wife? How do you think Fulghum's wife feels about him? Why? What kind of dynamic does this bring to Fulghum's stories? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 32, Fulghum discusses the clay tablet in the British Museum that contains a census. Discuss some of the facts that Fulghum talks about concerning the earth's mass and people as they relate to each other. Why do you think Fulghum discusses the mass of the earth versus people and the quality of people in the first place? What is Locard's Exchange Principle, and how does it play a role in Fulghum's story? What does Fulghum mean when he says, "We are the stuff of stars"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe V.P. Menon's character is the book. What motivated Menon to "pay it forward"? How did Menon make up his debt from the Sikh? As a person who quit school at thirteen, how was Menon still wise in many ways? In what ways did Menon become the best person he could be? What do you think motivated Menon to become who he was? How will Menon's name and legacy live on? Explain your answers by using specific material from the book.
This section contains 2,568 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)