Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many different kinds of macaroni does the gummy lump box consist of?
2. When Fulghum's washer and dryer quit working, where is the laundromat that he has to go to?
3. Fulghum thinks it would be a better world if we all had cookies and milk at what time?
4. When Fulghum writes his personal beliefs down, how many pages does he try to fill?
5. What song does Fulghum claim his neighbor lady reminded him of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after Fulghum's washer died on him in the middle of a load of laundry?
2. What does Fulghum claim a detergent for people would clean?
3. Why does Fulghum decide to tell the reader about his favorite place for chicken fried steak?
4. In Chapter 36, what happens when Fulghum stops to help a couple that has a dead car battery and he and the stranded man try to find the battery?
5. Describe how Fulghum listens to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.
6. What does the author do in Chapter 28 when his cuckoo clock is not working properly, and what happens to the clock?
7. In Chapter 34, Fulghum discusses the two items that make up the majority of stuff. What are some of the other miscellaneous items that make up stuff?
8. In Chapter 29, what does the couple that lives across the street from the author buy to ride on, and how does the couple ride it?
9. Describe what the gummy lump box looks like.
10. Describe Fulghum's experience of buying Tony Lama boots at Harry's Store in San Saba.
Essay Topic 1
Of all the stories that Fulghum tells in his book, what are your three favorite stories and why? Explain the reason for picking each one of these stories and why you are drawn to it. How do you think these three favorite stories of yours changed Fulghum's life? Do you think Fulghum changed at all during the events of these stories, or did he ponder and change afterward? If so, how and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe V.P. Menon's character is the book. What motivated Menon to "pay it forward"? How did Menon make up his debt from the Sikh? As a person who quit school at thirteen, how was Menon still wise in many ways? In what ways did Menon become the best person he could be? What do you think motivated Menon to become who he was? How will Menon's name and legacy live on? Explain your answers by using specific material from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 32, Fulghum discusses the clay tablet in the British Museum that contains a census. Discuss some of the facts that Fulghum talks about concerning the earth's mass and people as they relate to each other. Why do you think Fulghum discusses the mass of the earth versus people and the quality of people in the first place? What is Locard's Exchange Principle, and how does it play a role in Fulghum's story? What does Fulghum mean when he says, "We are the stuff of stars"?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)