|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Fulghum speaks of the gummy lump, he states that there are three colors of construction paper that are used: pink, red, and what?
2. When Fulghum is at the laundromat he sees an old woman folding what type of clothing?
3. What month of the year did the Indians that the soldiers were waiting for finally show up?
4. In the gummy lump box, Fulghum can also see what scrawled in several places?
5. At the end of Chapter 4, Fulghum claims that words will do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after Fulghum's washer died on him in the middle of a load of laundry?
2. In Chapter 6, why does Fulghum say that goat roping is some entertainment?
3. What were some of the reasons that Fulghum gives for visiting the town of San Saba?
4. How does Fulghum's lawyer friend whom he mentions in Chapter 12 travel?
5. Who is Charles Boyer? Why does Fulghum mention his story?
6. What are some things that Fulghum says he yells at?
7. What is the purpose of the larval form of the Cassida Rubignosa carrying a small sack of garbage on its back?
8. In Chapter 6, why did the soldiers and priests set out for a spot on the San Saba River?
9. What are some of the things that Fulghum learned in kindergarten that can be applied to everyone at any age?
10. When Fulghum is reading the historical marker in the town square in San Saba in Chapter 6, what do a pair of elderly gentlemen tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of Fulghum's book, he mentions that as he gets older his credo, or list, has gotten shorter. Why do you think Fulghum spent so much time, effort, and paper keeping track of all his thoughts and personal feelings when he was younger but now feels he does not have to do that anymore? Why do you think Fulghum chose the stories he did to be included in his book? Do you think all Fulghum's stories teach different lessons, or are there some stories that reemphasize what Fulghum has already concluded? Explain your reasoning, and use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Who is your favorite person in the book? Why did this person appeal to you? What characteristics did you like about this person? Were there any characteristics you didn't like about this person? Why? What does this person add to the particular story that he or she is featured in? How would the story be different if this person did not exist? Would anything remain the same in the story if this person was absent? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Robert Fulghum talks about his wife and a little bit about their relationship. Describe Robert Fulghum and his wife's relationship. Would you consider Fulghum and his wife's relationships a good one? Why or why not? How does Fulghum feel about his wife? How do you think Fulghum's wife feels about him? Why? What kind of dynamic does this bring to Fulghum's stories? Explain your answers.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)