|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much younger is Gil than Kurt?
2. How old is Kurt's daughter, Lily?
3. Where are the visitors staying in New York?
4. In what country did Kurt experience the best rhythm-and-blues combo he had ever heard?
5. What did the young man from Seattle have to take off?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main theme in Mark Twain's "The Mysterious Stranger?" Do you agree?
2. What does Kurt say about guessing?
3. What advice does Kurt give the woman hoping to have a baby?
4. Why does Kurt think the suicide rate of slave owners was higher than the suicide rate of slaves?
5. What have the PPs done to the country?
6. According to Kurt, what do humanists believe?
7. According to Kurt, what has his children's generation inherited?
8. How does Kurt feel about the Bush administration and the way it gained power?
9. What comparison does Kurt make involving the Bush administration? What values would he like to see the government adopt?
10. Who is Kurt's hero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the bombing of Dresden during World War Two. Be sure to address:
1) Rationale for bombing Dresden.
2) Public opinion on the bombing.
3) Your own thoughts on the devastation.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in an informal style that describes what it is like to pursue art as a career. The essay should focus upon:
1) Difficulties faced by those seeking to make money from art.
2) The chances of being able to make a comfortable living from art.
3) How you would feel if your children wanted to be professional artists.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the importance of family. Be sure to address:
1) The changing nature of the mainstream family.
2) The importance of immediate and extended family in a modern society.
3) Pros and cons of small and large families.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)