|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Kurt not do well now that he is 82?
2. What town did Kurt 'black out at high noon?'
3. Whose line of Democratic tradition does Kurt belong to?
4. How long ago did Kurt's business fail?
5. How old is Kurt's house in Sagaponack, Long Island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the subject of increasing divorce rates. Be sure to address:
1) Trends and statistics in divorce in the industrialized and non-industrialized world.
2) Kurt Vonnegut's theories regarding divorce.
3) Your thoughts on the future of divorce and marriage.
Essay Topic 2
Write an persuasive essay on political power, with a focus on the effect of power on people who hold it. Points to address are:
1) Specific examples of the corrupting influence of power.
2) Your personal attitude towards having power over other people.
3) Recommendations for checks and balances over political power in a modern democracy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the Great Depression from an economic standpoint, examining its causes, effects, and solution. Be sure to address at least one of these points:
1) Political leadership and the Depression.
2) Differences and similarities between the Great Depression and recent economic crises in the United States.
3) The influence of the Great Depression on economics as a discipline.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)