|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the young man from Seattle have to take off?
2. 'The good Earth--we could have saved it, but we were too damn...'
3. What is a lot less friendly to Kurt now that he is 82?
4. How old was the woman?
5. What type of engine did the Saab cars have in Kurt's day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Kurt's hero?
2. How does Kurt feel about music?
3. What does Kurt say about guessing?
4. How does Kurt feel about the Bush administration and the way it gained power?
5. Why does Kurt think the suicide rate of slave owners was higher than the suicide rate of slaves?
6. What is the main theme in Mark Twain's "The Mysterious Stranger?" Do you agree?
7. How does Kurt feel about his Uncle Alex? What did he learn from him?
8. What advice does Kurt give the woman hoping to have a baby?
9. Who is Gil Berman?
10. What does Kurt say about the value of books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Kurt Vonnegut to another humorist, such as Mark Twain. Using the example of at least one book from each author, compare style, message, and philosophical standpoint with special attention given to similarities.
Essay Topic 2
Research and write a short essay on humanism, including the foundations of the belief, major contributors, and well-known adherents.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the influence and effect of technology on the human race in the past and future. Be sure to address:
1) Benefits and dangers of technology.
2) Electronic communities and the future of socializing.
3) Whether or not you feel increasing technology is a positive trend, and why.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)