|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kurt tell Joe he must do?
2. According to Kurt, where did napalm come from?
3. 'The good Earth--we could have saved it, but we were too damn...'
4. What did the New York Times guarantee were in Iraq?
5. What can Kurt not do well now that he is 82?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kurt say is all he really ever wanted to do?
2. What advice does Kurt give the woman hoping to have a baby?
3. What type of car did Kurt used to sell?
4. Who is Gil Berman?
5. What does Kurt say about the war with Mexico?
6. How does Kurt feel about his Uncle Alex? What did he learn from him?
7. What have the PPs done to the country?
8. What is Kurt's theory about time?
9. How does Kurt feel about the Bush administration and the way it gained power?
10. What is Kurt's theory about the relationship between the moon and planet Earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the topic of mainstream culture, focusing on the formulaic aspect of books, movies, and so on. Be sure to address:
1) Common themes and formulas in mainstream culture.
2) The primary elements of mainstream culture and audience, and what makes something 'mainstream.'
3) The pros and cons of mainstream culture and art.
Essay Topic 2
Write an informal essay on the importance and role of music in your life, and the lives of those around you. Discuss your favorite musical artists, and how their music influences you.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Kurt Vonnegut to another humorist, such as Mark Twain. Using the example of at least one book from each author, compare style, message, and philosophical standpoint with special attention given to similarities.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)