|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state was Kurt's business located?
2. At the time of writing, what is the only way to learn what is going on?
3. 'The good Earth--we could have saved it, but we were too damn...'
4. What does each short chapter in "Cat's Cradle" represent?
5. How long ago did Kurt's business fail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kurt feel about his Uncle Dan?
2. What is Kurt's theory about the relationship between the moon and planet Earth?
3. According to Kurt, what has his children's generation inherited?
4. What does Kurt say is all he really ever wanted to do?
5. How does Kurt feel about his Uncle Alex? What did he learn from him?
6. Why does Kurt think the suicide rate of slave owners was higher than the suicide rate of slaves?
7. What is the main theme in Mark Twain's "The Mysterious Stranger?" Do you agree?
8. What have the PPs done to the country?
9. How does Kurt feel about music?
10. What does Kurt say about the war with Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the subject of increasing divorce rates. Be sure to address:
1) Trends and statistics in divorce in the industrialized and non-industrialized world.
2) Kurt Vonnegut's theories regarding divorce.
3) Your thoughts on the future of divorce and marriage.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that summarizes what you feel to be Kurt Vonnegut's political beliefs based on what you have read in "A Man Without A Country," with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the environmental future of the Earth, with a focus on whether or not humanity will be able to prevent an environmental catastrophe (optimism vs. pessimism). Then write what you believe to be Vonnegut's point of view on the issue.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)