|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Kurt smoke marijuana with?
2. What would Kurt use occasionally in jokes?
3. What does Kurt say made North America into a 'virgin continent?'
4. According to Kurt, what are we here on Earth to do?
5. What was Kurt to older people at the dinner table when he was very young?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kurt feel about the human race and their effect on nature?
2. What is the story of Hamlet? What story does Kurt compare it to?
3. What political undertones can you notice in this chapter?
4. What does Kurt say about prohibition and the war on drugs?
5. What is the significance of the timeline for the introduction of the internal combustion engine?
6. Who was Emma Lazarus?
7. What does Kurt make jokes about? What can he not make jokes about?
8. What does Kurt say humor is a response to?
9. Describe Kurt's process for sending his work to his typist.
10. What was important to Kurt while he was growing up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the bombing of Dresden during World War Two. Be sure to address:
1) Rationale for bombing Dresden.
2) Public opinion on the bombing.
3) Your own thoughts on the devastation.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on prohibition. Be sure to address:
1) Rationale for prohibition of alcohol and/or drugs, and the pros and cons of prohibition.
2) Perils and challenges of prohibition.
3) Lessons learned from past experiences with prohibition, and how they can be applied in the future.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the subject of increasing divorce rates. Be sure to address:
1) Trends and statistics in divorce in the industrialized and non-industrialized world.
2) Kurt Vonnegut's theories regarding divorce.
3) Your thoughts on the future of divorce and marriage.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)