|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first novel ever to be written using a typewriter?
2. What is it improper to do to a soldier when he returns home?
3. What was Powers Hapgood's occupation after graduating from Harvard?
4. What was there a large number of on the radio?
5. What type of line describes the story of "Hamelt?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kurt say humor is a response to?
2. What does Kurt say is the most destructive drug of all? Do you agree?
3. What attachment does Kurt feel for his community?
4. What is the significance of the timeline for the introduction of the internal combustion engine?
5. How does Kurt feel about the human race and their effect on nature?
6. Who was Ned Ludd?
7. Why does Kurt smoke? What has his experience been with drugs?
8. Why do you think Kurt feels the way he does about technology?
9. What was Kurt's experience with Dresden?
10. What does Kurt say about what men and women want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Kurt Vonnegut to another humorist, such as Mark Twain. Using the example of at least one book from each author, compare style, message, and philosophical standpoint with special attention given to similarities.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the importance of family. Be sure to address:
1) The changing nature of the mainstream family.
2) The importance of immediate and extended family in a modern society.
3) Pros and cons of small and large families.
Essay Topic 3
Research and write an essay that discusses alternative transportation fuels and energy, illustrating at least two examples of up and coming technologies that you feel will make a difference.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)