|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pages would Kurt type before making corrections with a pencil?
2. Why do so many people get divorced today?
3. How many people were killed in the Dresden firebombing?
4. When did Kurt ask Jane Marie Cox to marry him?
5. Who appeared to George W. Bush when he was forty-one?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Kurt, what has his children's generation inherited?
2. What was Kurt's experience while writing "Slaughterhouse Five?" What was the key?
3. What era did Kurt grow up in?
4. What does Kurt say about electronic communities? Do you agree?
5. What does Kurt say about guessing?
6. According to Kurt, what is the importance of an extended family compared to having a small family? Do you agree?
7. How does Kurt feel about American socialists?
8. How did Kurt break new ground with his marriage?
9. What was Kurt's experience with Dresden?
10. Describe Kurt's process for sending his work to his typist.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the topic of mainstream culture, focusing on the formulaic aspect of books, movies, and so on. Be sure to address:
1) Common themes and formulas in mainstream culture.
2) The primary elements of mainstream culture and audience, and what makes something 'mainstream.'
3) The pros and cons of mainstream culture and art.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the influence and effect of technology on the human race in the past and future. Be sure to address:
1) Benefits and dangers of technology.
2) Electronic communities and the future of socializing.
3) Whether or not you feel increasing technology is a positive trend, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Shakespeare and his influence on world culture. Be sure to address:
1) What makes Shakespeare such an important playwright.
2) Themes and subject matter addressed in Shakespeare's work.
This section contains 1,639 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)