|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Luddite?
2. According to Kurt, what is a couple really saying to each other when they have an argument?
3. What can Kurt not imagine a funny book about?
4. What is humor a physiological response to?
5. What story is Kurt describing when he calls it 'one of the most popular stories ever told?'
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Kurt, what is the importance of an extended family compared to having a small family? Do you agree?
2. What is the significance of the timeline for the introduction of the internal combustion engine?
3. What was Kurt's experience with Dresden?
4. What was important to Kurt while he was growing up?
5. Who was Emma Lazarus?
6. How does Kurt feel about being an artist?
7. What political undertones can you notice in this chapter?
8. What does Kurt state is the truth about life?
9. What does Kurt say is the most destructive drug of all? Do you agree?
10. What marketing tip does Kurt give readers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in an informal style that describes what it is like to pursue art as a career. The essay should focus upon:
1) Difficulties faced by those seeking to make money from art.
2) The chances of being able to make a comfortable living from art.
3) How you would feel if your children wanted to be professional artists.
Essay Topic 2
Write an informal essay on the importance and role of music in your life, and the lives of those around you. Discuss your favorite musical artists, and how their music influences you.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the bombing of Dresden during World War Two. Be sure to address:
1) Rationale for bombing Dresden.
2) Public opinion on the bombing.
3) Your own thoughts on the devastation.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)