|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people were killed in the Dresden firebombing?
2. What did one of Kurt's ancestors lose in battle?
3. What has 'beat the heck' out of Kurt Vonnegut?
4. Where did Kurt go to high school?
5. What does the man turn into at the end of Franz Kafka's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kurt say about what men and women want?
2. What was Kurt's experience while writing "Slaughterhouse Five?" What was the key?
3. What does Kurt say about computers? Do you agree?
4. What does Kurt say about electronic communities? Do you agree?
5. According to Kurt, why do more people get divorced today? Do you agree?
6. Why does Kurt think "Hamlet" is such a popular story?
7. What does Kurt say humor is a response to?
8. What was important to Kurt while he was growing up?
9. Do you agree with Kurt's assessment that the human race is already doomed?
10. Who was Emma Lazarus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and write an essay that discusses alternative transportation fuels and energy, illustrating at least two examples of up and coming technologies that you feel will make a difference.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Kurt Vonnegut to another humorist, such as Mark Twain. Using the example of at least one book from each author, compare style, message, and philosophical standpoint with special attention given to similarities.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in an informal style that describes what it is like to pursue art as a career. The essay should focus upon:
1) Difficulties faced by those seeking to make money from art.
2) The chances of being able to make a comfortable living from art.
3) How you would feel if your children wanted to be professional artists.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)