|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Kurt's high school?
2. What city did Kurt see the destruction of first-hand?
3. How long ago was the first electric generator built?
4. What is Kurt's limit for alcoholic drinks?
5. What is it improper to do to a soldier when he returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kurt break new ground with his marriage?
2. What is the story of Hamlet? What story does Kurt compare it to?
3. What does Kurt describe about relations between English and Germans in America?
4. According to Kurt, what is the importance of an extended family compared to having a small family? Do you agree?
5. What does Kurt say about computers? Do you agree?
6. What attachment does Kurt feel for his community?
7. Do you agree with Kurt's assessment that the human race is already doomed?
8. Why does Kurt smoke? What has his experience been with drugs?
9. According to Kurt, what is all great literature about? How does this make him feel?
10. What was important to Kurt while he was growing up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Kurt Vonnegut to another humorist, such as Mark Twain. Using the example of at least one book from each author, compare style, message, and philosophical standpoint with special attention given to similarities.
Essay Topic 2
Research and write an essay that discusses alternative transportation fuels and energy, illustrating at least two examples of up and coming technologies that you feel will make a difference.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the bombing of Dresden during World War Two. Be sure to address:
1) Rationale for bombing Dresden.
2) Public opinion on the bombing.
3) Your own thoughts on the devastation.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)