|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Kurt's typist?
2. What did one of Kurt's ancestors lose in battle?
3. How did Albert Camus die?
4. What can a prince do?
5. What does Freud call laughless jokes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What political undertones can you notice in this chapter?
2. How does Kurt feel about being an artist?
3. What advice does Kurt have for readers about creative writing?
4. What was Kurt's experience with Dresden?
5. What is the story of Hamlet? What story does Kurt compare it to?
6. Why does Kurt smoke? What has his experience been with drugs?
7. What does Kurt make jokes about? What can he not make jokes about?
8. How did Kurt break new ground with his marriage?
9. What era did Kurt grow up in?
10. What does Kurt say about electronic communities? Do you agree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the Great Depression from an economic standpoint, examining its causes, effects, and solution. Be sure to address at least one of these points:
1) Political leadership and the Depression.
2) Differences and similarities between the Great Depression and recent economic crises in the United States.
3) The influence of the Great Depression on economics as a discipline.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the effect of fossil fuels upon the environment and human history. Be sure to address:
1) Environmental perils of fossil fuels.
2) The importance of fossil fuels in human industrial development.
3) The future of fossil fuels.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in an informal style that describes what it is like to pursue art as a career. The essay should focus upon:
1) Difficulties faced by those seeking to make money from art.
2) The chances of being able to make a comfortable living from art.
3) How you would feel if your children wanted to be professional artists.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)