|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people were killed in the Dresden firebombing?
2. What does Freud call laughless jokes?
(a) Silent humor.
(b) Dead humor.
(c) Maternal humor.
(d) Gallows humor.
3. What would Kurt use occasionally in jokes?
(a) Political references.
(c) Obscene words.
(d) Racial slurs.
4. What is a Luddite?
(a) A religious zealot.
(b) A slow, lazy person.
(c) An idiot with no respect for those with more intelligence.
(d) A person who hates new technology.
5. What does the man turn into at the end of Franz Kafka's story?
(a) A liar and a cheat.
(b) A cockroach.
(c) A martyr.
(d) A success.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Emma Lazarus write her famous sonnet about the 'poor,' 'wretched,' and 'homeless?'
2. What story is Kurt describing when he calls it 'one of the most popular stories ever told?'
3. How much older is Kurt's sister than he?
4. At what age did Kurt start smoking?
5. What is not an example of a 'crazy-making' game happening today?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Kurt, why do more people get divorced today? Do you agree?
2. What is the story of Hamlet? What story does Kurt compare it to?
3. Why does Kurt smoke? What has his experience been with drugs?
4. What does Kurt state is the truth about life?
5. What does Kurt say about electronic communities? Do you agree?
6. Who was Emma Lazarus?
7. What attachment does Kurt feel for his community?
8. What was Kurt's experience while writing "Slaughterhouse Five?" What was the key?
9. What does Kurt say about prohibition and the war on drugs?
10. How did Kurt break new ground with his marriage?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)