|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the only way Kurt could get into an adult conversation when he was young?
(a) By constantly interrupting.
(b) By breaking something or doing something naughty.
(c) By speaking loudly and quickly.
(d) By saying something really funny.
2. How many people were killed in the Dresden firebombing?
3. What was the first novel ever to be written using a typewriter?
(a) Huckleberry Finn.
(b) Gone with the Wind.
(c) War and Peace.
(d) Robinson Crusoe.
4. What did one of Kurt's ancestors buy when he came to America?
(a) A brewery.
(b) A vineyard.
(c) A sizeable amount of stock in a beer company that then went bankrupt.
(d) A lot of beer.
5. How much older is Kurt's sister than he?
(a) Five years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Four years.
(d) Three years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kurt think Shakespeare did not believe in?
2. What was Powers Hapgood's occupation after graduating from Harvard?
3. What does Kurt try not to do when he's being funny?
4. Who made Kurt's first car?
5. How long ago was the first electric generator built?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Kurt, what was the 'beginning of the end?'
2. What political undertones can you notice in this chapter?
3. What does Kurt say humor is a response to?
4. Who was Emma Lazarus?
5. According to Kurt, what is the importance of an extended family compared to having a small family? Do you agree?
6. What marketing tip does Kurt give readers?
7. What does Kurt describe about relations between English and Germans in America?
8. What was important to Kurt while he was growing up?
9. What does Kurt say about computers? Do you agree?
10. What advice does Kurt have for readers about creative writing?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)