|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the first crack appear between English and German Americans?
(a) When the Germans first arrived.
(b) World War II.
(c) The First World War.
(d) The Civil War.
2. Who built the first automobile powered by an internal combustion engine?
(a) Karl Benz.
(b) Wilhelm Maybach.
(c) Gottlieb Daimler.
(d) Ferdinand Redtenbacher.
3. Where did Kurt go to high school?
4. What is it improper to do to a soldier when he returns home?
(a) Give him flowers.
(b) Show him a war movie.
(c) Refer to him as a soldier.
(d) Ask him what he saw.
5. In what year did Albert Camus win a Nobel Prize for literature?
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Kurt tell readers from now on?
2. Where is the newsstand that Kurt goes to?
3. How many men did the British government execute for 'machine breaking' in 1813?
4. What device made of steel does Kurt use for his paper?
5. When did Emma Lazarus write her famous sonnet about the 'poor,' 'wretched,' and 'homeless?'
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kurt think "Hamlet" is such a popular story?
2. What political undertones can you notice in this chapter?
3. What does Kurt say about prohibition and the war on drugs?
4. According to Kurt, why do more people get divorced today? Do you agree?
5. Why does Kurt smoke? What has his experience been with drugs?
6. What does Kurt describe about relations between English and Germans in America?
7. Who was Emma Lazarus?
8. How does Kurt feel about the human race and their effect on nature?
9. Why do you think Kurt feels the way he does about technology?
10. What advice does Kurt have for readers about creative writing?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)