|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the United States government conducting a war against?
2. What type of stories did Franz Kafka write?
3. What city did Kurt see the destruction of first-hand?
(c) New York.
4. How long has it taken humanity to destroy the planet?
(a) One thousand years.
(b) Two thousand years.
(c) Five hundred years.
(d) Fewer than two hundred years.
5. When did Emma Lazarus write her famous sonnet about the 'poor,' 'wretched,' and 'homeless?'
6. During what time period did Kurt grow up?
(a) The Roaring Twenties.
(b) The Great Depression.
(c) The Flower Power Decade.
(d) The Great War.
7. What does the man turn into at the end of Franz Kafka's story?
(a) A success.
(b) A liar and a cheat.
(c) A martyr.
(d) A cockroach.
8. What is a Luddite?
(a) An idiot with no respect for those with more intelligence.
(b) A person who hates new technology.
(c) A slow, lazy person.
(d) A religious zealot.
9. How have humans destroyed the planet?
(b) Fossil fuels.
(c) By cutting down the rainforest.
(d) Atomic weapons.
10. What does Freud call laughless jokes?
(a) Dead humor.
(b) Maternal humor.
(c) Silent humor.
(d) Gallows humor.
11. Who, according to Kurt, is not really a humorist?
(a) Bob Hope.
(b) Bob Newhart.
(c) Bob Smith.
(d) Bob McKenzie.
12. According to Kurt Vonnegut, who wrote the greatest American short story?
(a) Ambrose Bierce.
(b) William McKinley.
(c) Robert Enrico.
(d) Emily Dickenson.
13. What word does Kurt use to describe today's 'corporate oligarchs?'
14. Who said that 'religion is the opium of the people?'
(a) Karl Marx.
(b) Adolph Hitler.
(c) Mao Zedong.
(d) Joseph Stalin.
15. When did the first crack appear between English and German Americans?
(a) World War II.
(b) When the Germans first arrived.
(c) The First World War.
(d) The Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kurt's ancestry?
2. What can Kurt not imagine a funny book about?
3. What did Prometheus give to the humans?
4. When did Kurt write "Slaughterhouse Five?"
5. What does Kurt try not to do when he's being funny?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)