|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Price feel about helping his drunk teacher Tom Crick once they are out on the street outside the pub?
2. What does Mary tell Tom about the unborn child at the windmill?
3. While Martha locks herself in with Mary, she asks Tom to do what outside?
4. How long does Harry Crick have to wait until he is rescued?
5. What is the historical fact that Tom says "history scarcely finds time to mention"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carefully consider the character of Ernest Atkinson in Graham Swift's novel Waterland. Trace the mistakes he makes that lead to his social, political, and financial decline in Gildsey and that cause catastrophe for his descendants. Finally, analyze what Ernest's life might symbolize in Tom Crick's narrative about the Fens and its people.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Waterland, the narrator Tom Crick uses fairy-tale language like "once upon a time" and references to supernatural beings like ghosts and witches while he recounts history. Using specific examples from the novel, deduce why Tom Crick does so. Discuss why he feels justified in mixing history and fairy tales.
Essay Topic 3
Carefully consider the character of Sarah Atkinson from Graham Swift's novel Waterland. Using specific examples from the novel, trace how she captures the imagination of her two sons, of the people of the town of Gildsey, and of her descendants. Finally, analyze what Sarah's life might symbolize in Tom Crick's narrative about the Fens and its people.
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)