|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Harry Crick abandon his cottage by the Atkinson lock?
(a) He takes a job in Gildsey as a janitor.
(b) He sees the ghost of Sarah Atkinson.
(c) The River Leem floods and destroys it.
(d) He moves to a retirement home near Tom.
2. How does Price feel about helping his drunk teacher Tom Crick once they are out on the street outside the pub?
3. While Martha locks herself in with Mary, she asks Tom to do what outside?
(a) Stand guard.
(b) Chop firewood.
(c) Pray to the Virgin Mary.
(d) Pluck a duck.
4. In Tom's mind, the headmaster thinks of the school as what, figuratively speaking?
(a) A swamp full of lost sheep.
(b) A duck pond with a fence.
(c) An atomic bomb shelter.
(d) A kennel for wild dogs.
5. What does the letter reveal to Tom and Dick about Dick?
(a) That Dick is entitled to Ernest's seat in the British parliament.
(b) That he is the heir to a vast fortune hidden in the Fens.
(c) That Ernest found Dick in the shrubs near a canal and Helen adopted him.
(d) That he is the child of incest between Ernest and his daughter Helen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the chest in the attic that Helen bestows upon Dick?
2. What does Mary tell Tom that she does not tell the judge?
3. Tom thinks that progress leads...
4. How does Harry Crick find out that his son Dick is in love with Mary?
5. What is NOT a negative personality trait associated with phlegm, although it plays a pivotal role in some of the novel's most important turning points?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)