|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What's the "old, old feeling" that Tom Crick tells Price everybody has always felt?
(a) That everything might amount to nothing.
(b) That life must have meaning.
(c) That maybe there is no God.
(d) That nobody really understand anyone.
2. How did Mary's father Harold Metcalf treat Tom's father Harry?
(a) Like a man treats his long-lost brother.
(b) Like an angry father treats his daughter's murderer.
(c) Like a high and mighty squire treats a supplicant serf.
(d) Like a priest treats an unrepentent sinner.
3. What is Mary doing at the windmill when Tom finds her?
(a) She is sleeping with Dick.
(b) She is talking to the wind as if it were a person.
(c) She is cutting herself with a razor blade.
(d) She jumps so she falls on her stomach to kill her unborn child.
4. What is Tom Crick's response to Mary's claim that God speaks to her.
(a) God does not speak anymore.
(b) God does not exist.
(c) God never spoke to anyone.
(d) God is imaginary.
5. At the end of chapter 44, Tom Crick decides that what people really want to know isn't truth. What they really want is...
(b) An excuse to hate.
(c) To laugh at someone.
(d) To know that they're right.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Crick compares history teachers to which fictional character?
2. Instead of living up to their ideals of freedom, brotherhood, and equality, Tom says the French revolutionaries turned straight to what?
3. What does Mary tell Tom about the unborn child at the windmill?
4. What to Tom and Mary ask Martha to help them with?
5. How does Tom react to finding the child Mary has stolen?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)