|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie had committed suicide.
(b) Freddie had been hit on the head with a bottle.
(c) Freddie was drunk, fell in the water, and could not swim.
(d) Freddie had been robbed and drowned by thugs.
2. Why does Tom Crick decide to study the history of the Fens?
(a) Because the only scholarship to university he can get is for Fenland history.
(b) Because it is the only history that holds any fascination for him.
(c) To avoid thinking about the history that is in the making as World War II rages.
(d) Because the only history books he can find during the Battle for Britain are local ones.
3. What is the lesson about history that Tom Crick draws from the study of eel mating behavior?
(a) While humans die, some life forms like the eel seem to live forever.
(b) The true future of mankind lies West of the Atlantic Ocean.
(c) The eel is much more adapted to life on earth than humans are.
(d) What human beings think of as major historical events makes little difference to other life on earth.
4. What does Dick do when he finds the bottle?
(a) He threatens Tom not to tell anyone about it or he will hurt Tom.
(b) He ties it to the handle of his motorbike with a piece of string.
(c) He screams and later says he saw Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
(d) He hides it in a wooden chest with a lock in the attic.
5. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
(a) He thinks history is imaginary and doesn't matter.
(b) He thinks Tom is lying to the class.
(c) He thinks Tom is senile.
(d) He hates school in general, and Tom is easy to pick on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson's maid Jane Shaw think she saw in the old Atkinson townhouse as the brewery was burning?
2. What is it that Tom decides he must find at all cost?
3. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
4. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
5. What does Tom Crick mean by the term "Natural History"?
Short Essay Questions
1. IIn Chapter 43, what significant change occurs in Tom and Price's attitude toward history?
2. In chapter 38, Tom describes the death of his mother from the flu. What is most remarkable about it to him?
3. Chapter 16 is titled "Longitude 0°." What is this a reference to?
4. Chapter 49 is one more chapter Tom Crick spends lamenting what happens when idealists begin revolutions and lose sight of their ideals. What is that example?
5. Who does the chapter title "The Saviour of the World" refer to, and what does it mean?
6. In chapter 4, what is the reasoning the headmaster Lewis Scott gives Tom Crick for laying Tom off and merging history with General Studies?
7. In chapter 48, what is the difficulty the headmaster runs into when he tries to announce Tom Cricks' retirement to the students at the school?
8. In chapter 33, Tom Crick takes Price to a bar to have a drink. What is the question Price asks Tom that shakes Tom the most?
9. What is the surprise Tom Crick encounters when he stands up to speak at the end of chapter 48?
10. In chapter 28, Tom explains why he turned to history and stories as passionately as he did. Why is that?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)