|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freddie Parr do to Mary as revenge for setting him up to lose the competition because she knew he couldn't swim?
(a) He holds her under water until she nearly drowns.
(b) He slips a large eel into her knickers.
(c) He steals all her clothes and forces her to walk home naked.
(d) He rolls her in wet mud until she is totally covered by it.
2. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
3. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
(a) All of the above.
(b) History will be eliminated from the curriculum.
(c) Tom Crick has stopped teaching the syllabus.
(d) The headmaster does not like Tom Crick.
4. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
(a) Humans can plan for the future.
(b) Humans have the ability to forgive each other.
(c) Animals don't kill each other out of jealousy.
(d) Humans tell each other stories.
5. Tom thinks that people who focus on ideals like the Declaration of the Rights of Man instead of the details of the French Revolution forget what important fact?
(a) That the revolution included barricades, bloodshed, and the guillotine.
(b) The importance of the birthday of Louis XVI.
(c) That no man is an island and no idea exists outside of time.
(d) That the revolutionaries were hypocrites.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tom put the bottle that he found drifting in the water after Freddie Parr's death?
2. Which boy is most aggressive about asking the two girls to take their clothes off?
3. What is the object that Dick Crick treats like it is a real person?
4. Lewis Scott, the headmaster at the school where Tom Crick teaches, thinks history should be considered part of what other field?
5. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 14, Tom Crick's student Price asks him whether Tom thinks "we can find whatever we like in history." What it Tom's reply?
2. Chapter 26 is a long dissertation by Tom Crick about the mating habits of the eel. Recall three theories about how eels procreate that naturalists have advanced over the millennia.
3. In chapter 22, the role of Ernest Atkinson in the events of Coronation Day is ambiguous. Please describe the events of Coronation Day and why they appear to have happened.
4. What is the surprise Tom Crick encounters when he stands up to speak at the end of chapter 48?
5. In chapter 24, Tom, Dick, Freddie Parr, Mary Metcalf, and a few other kids are playing together near the water. What is the importance of the eel to all the events that transpire afterwards?
6. In chapter 6, Tom Crick suggests that the Fens and history have what in common?
7. What is the significance of phlegm for the body according to chapter 51?
8. In chapter 33, Tom Crick takes Price to a bar to have a drink. What is the question Price asks Tom that shakes Tom the most?
9. In chapter 3, the narrator discusses the history of the Fens in eastern England and human attempts to drain them and make them fit for agriculture. "Strictly speaking," the narrator says what about the effort to "reclaim" the Fens?
10. In chapter 38, Tom describes the death of his mother from the flu. What is most remarkable about it to him?
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)