|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
(a) The thudding of his own heart.
(b) A bomber airplane.
(c) The growling of an angry beast.
(d) Machine gun fire.
2. What does Ernest Atkinson convert his manor Kessling Hall into?
(a) An asylum for the mentally ill.
(b) A school for orphans.
(c) A hospital for the wounded of World War I.
(d) A museum in honor of Sarah Atkinson.
3. What competition does Mary demand the boys take part in before she takes off her last piece of clothing for the winner?
(a) A footrace to the bridge and back.
(b) A wrestling match.
(c) A competition to find and catch the largest eel.
(d) An underwater swimming competition.
4. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
5. What is the object that Dick Crick treats like it is a real person?
(a) His dead mother's sewing machine.
(b) His father's radio.
(c) His motorbike.
(d) His barge engine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
2. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
3. What tells Tom that he and Mary must finish their argument quickly because the park is about to close?
4. What does Ernest Atkinson's maid Jane Shaw think she saw in the old Atkinson townhouse as the brewery was burning?
5. What does Dick do when he finds the bottle?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 37, Tom Crick discusses the idea of terror and how it aids people in pretending they're changing the world for the better. What are some examples Tom gives from the French Revolution?
2. In chapter 33, Tom Crick takes Price to a bar to have a drink. What is the question Price asks Tom that shakes Tom the most?
3. Chapter 39 is about Mary's reaction to her pregnancy and to Tom's joy about it. What does Tom find her doing and what is the reason she gives?
4. In chapter 35, Tom Crick returns home from a day of teaching to find Mary has done what?
5. Chapter 36 is titled "About Nothing." What is the "nothing" that Tom refers to?
6. What is the surprise Tom Crick encounters when he stands up to speak at the end of chapter 48?
7. In chapter 1, the narrator describes the Crick family's relationship with the Fens how?
8. In chapter 4, what is the reasoning the headmaster Lewis Scott gives Tom Crick for laying Tom off and merging history with General Studies?
9. In chapter 38, Tom describes the death of his mother from the flu. What is most remarkable about it to him?
10. Who does the chapter title "The Saviour of the World" refer to, and what does it mean?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)