|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom notice for the first time when Mary struggles with Freddie Parr's prank?
(a) That Terry Coe is afraid of eels.
(b) That Dick is interested in Mary and that Mary is interested in Dick.
(c) That Mary is ticklish.
(d) That Freddie Parr is a drunkard.
2. Johannes Schmidt, whose theory about eels and their mating habits is considered the most accurate one, thought that eels mate where?
(a) The Arctic Ocean.
(b) In river springs.
(c) The Gulf of Mexico.
(d) The Sargasso Sea.
3. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
(a) He sells the Water Transport Company.
(b) He sells Kessling Hall, their estate.
(c) He closes the Atkinson brewery.
(d) He takes a ruinous Grand Tour of Europe.
4. Why does Tom Crick decide to study the history of the Fens?
(a) Because the only history books he can find during the Battle for Britain are local ones.
(b) To avoid thinking about the history that is in the making as World War II rages.
(c) Because the only scholarship to university he can get is for Fenland history.
(d) Because it is the only history that holds any fascination for him.
5. Where do the Cricks find the body of Freddie Parr?
(a) Drifting along the canal at the Atkinson Lock.
(b) Sprawled in shrubbery by the side of the Ouse River Road.
(c) Slumped over the table at Jack Parr's house.
(d) Hung from the rafters in the Cricks' barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
2. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
3. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
4. What medical condition is Tom afraid that Mary might have?
5. What mesmerized King Canute as he was rowed past Ely?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 10, Tom Crick explains that he thinks the most important question is the question "why?" How does he use Louis XVI's fate to illustrate that point?
2. Chapter 16 is titled "Longitude 0°." What is this a reference to?
3. In chapter 45, what is the symbolic significance of where Dick elected to hide the key from Tom to their mother's chest?
4. In chapter 50, Harry Crick is bed-ridden in Tom's and Mary's first house in Gildsey. What made him ill?
5. In chapter 32, Tom Crick describes the relationship between Mary and Dick. Why does Mary say she wants to "educate" Dick and what is the version of events that she tells Tom?
6. In chapter 11, Tom Crick describes the inquest into Freddie Parr's death. What does the judge determine is the official cause of death, and how does he arrive at his conclusion?
7. At the end of chapter 45, Tom and Dick have a conversation about Mary and her baby. What is the one thing Dick confesses to Harry, and what are the two things Tom tells Dick?
8. In chapter 31, Price tells Tom Crick about the student club he is part of. What club is that and what is its purpose?
9. In chapter 25, Tom Crick gauges the reaction of his students at his racy revelations. What does he observe about rebellion in this context?
10. In chapter 24, Tom, Dick, Freddie Parr, Mary Metcalf, and a few other kids are playing together near the water. What is the importance of the eel to all the events that transpire afterwards?
This section contains 1,472 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)