|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the object that Dick Crick treats like it is a real person?
(a) His motorbike.
(b) His father's radio.
(c) His dead mother's sewing machine.
(d) His barge engine.
2. What is Tom Crick's response to this revelation?
(a) He reads history books when Dick is out wooing Mary.
(b) He turns Freddie Parr in to the police constable.
(c) He starts flirting intensely with Mary to outdo all the other boys.
(d) He begins to be afraid of Dick.
3. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) They invent the steam engine.
(b) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
(c) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
(d) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
4. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
(a) 92 years.
(b) 68 years.
(c) 37 years.
(d) 99 years.
5. What is the motto of the New Brewery in Gildsey?
(a) Quid Pro Quo.
(b) E Pluribus Unum.
(c) Ex Aqua Fermentum.
(d) Sine Qua Non.
Short Answer Questions
1. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
2. What does Ernest Atkinson's maid Jane Shaw think she saw in the old Atkinson townhouse as the brewery was burning?
3. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
4. What is the main fish that the Cricks and their neighbors catch for food?
5. How did Tom's parents meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 32, Tom Crick describes the relationship between Mary and Dick. Why does Mary say she wants to "educate" Dick and what is the version of events that she tells Tom?
2. In chapter 1, the narrator describes the Crick family's relationship with the Fens how?
3. At the end of chapter 45, Tom and Dick have a conversation about Mary and her baby. What is the one thing Dick confesses to Harry, and what are the two things Tom tells Dick?
4. in chapter 15, Tom Crick gives a history of the River Ouse and the Fenlands in its river valley. List at least three details from the river's history.
5. Briefly discuss how, in chapter 44, his interview with the police unravels Tom's earlier ideas about teaching the facts of history.
6. In chapter 23, Tom Crick asserts that the 14th of July festivities the French celebrate as Bastille Day are more of a fairy tale than anything else. What makes him say so?
7. in chapter 44, Tom Crick and his wife Mary return the baby Mary stole to the Safeways store where she found it. What are Tom's fears as they approach the mother of the child and how does the mother react?
8. Chapter 26 is a long dissertation by Tom Crick about the mating habits of the eel. Recall three theories about how eels procreate that naturalists have advanced over the millennia.
9. Who does the chapter title "The Saviour of the World" refer to, and what does it mean?
10. In chapter 41, Mary makes a decision to see someone for help with her miscarriage. Whom does Mary want to go and see?
This section contains 1,471 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)