|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
2. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
3. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
(a) He dreams of Mary as she was when she was 15.
(b) He dreams of Price as the Prime Minister of Britain.
(c) He dreams of a woman wailing in a supermarket.
(d) He dreams of the headmaster drowning in a canal.
4. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
5. What was Freddie Parr's father, Jack Parr, infamous for in the Gildsey area?
(a) His ability to smuggle liquor out of an American military base nearby.
(b) His tendency to get into fights with the local barman.
(c) His heckling of young women who worked in the fields.
(d) His habit of stealing livestock off the river barges.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson's maid Jane Shaw think she saw in the old Atkinson townhouse as the brewery was burning?
2. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
3. What does Tom Crick mean by the term "Natural History"?
4. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
5. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the surprise Tom Crick encounters when he stands up to speak at the end of chapter 48?
2. In chapter 50, Harry Crick is bed-ridden in Tom's and Mary's first house in Gildsey. What made him ill?
3. In chapter 42, a new-found confidante helps Mary to get something Mary wants. What is that?
4. At the end of chapter 45, Tom and Dick have a conversation about Mary and her baby. What is the one thing Dick confesses to Harry, and what are the two things Tom tells Dick?
5. Chapter 39 is about Mary's reaction to her pregnancy and to Tom's joy about it. What does Tom find her doing and what is the reason she gives?
6. In chapter 21, Tom Crick asks, "when the past tries to demolish itself, how do you demolish the past?" What is he getting at?
7. In chapter 6, Tom Crick suggests that the Fens and history have what in common?
8. In chapter 32, Tom Crick describes the relationship between Mary and Dick. Why does Mary say she wants to "educate" Dick and what is the version of events that she tells Tom?
9. What is the significance of phlegm for the body according to chapter 51?
10. In chapter 43, Tom Crick parts from Price shouting "don't let him do it!" What is he referring to and what theme that has run through the novel is this a culmination of?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)