|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Freddie Parr's father Jack react to the ruling by the court that Freddie's death was an accident?
(a) He curses the judge and accuses Tom Crick of killing Freddie.
(b) He goes to sit on the train tracks to commit suicide, but no train appears.
(c) He has a heart attack in the court room and dies on the spot.
(d) He walks out of the court room and is never seen again.
2. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
(a) Humans tell each other stories.
(b) Humans can plan for the future.
(c) Humans have the ability to forgive each other.
(d) Animals don't kill each other out of jealousy.
3. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
(a) Their neighbor's son George.
(c) His brother Dick.
4. What did Johannes Schmidt conclude about the difference between the European eel and the American eel?
(a) The European eel has far more offspring.
(b) The American eel eats its young, whereas the European eel does not.
(c) There is no difference, genetically.
(d) The American eel has a shorter lifespan.
5. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
(a) She stole a baby from a stroller in a supermarket.
(b) She began to scream at odd times of the night.
(c) She has developed Alzheimer's disease.
(d) Tom Crick hit her over the head and she lost her mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom tells us that as a young teenager Mary liked to "experiment" with boys. Whom does he NOT suspect her of sleeping with?
2. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
3. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
4. What is Henry Crick's occupation?
5. Henry Crick, Tom's father, is obsessed with one question about Freddie's death that he repeats over and over again. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 29, Tom comes up with a way to test whether Dick killed Freddie Parr. What does he do to provoke a reaction from Dick? What reaction does he get?
2. What is the significance of phlegm for the body according to chapter 51?
3. In chapter 3, the narrator discusses the history of the Fens in eastern England and human attempts to drain them and make them fit for agriculture. "Strictly speaking," the narrator says what about the effort to "reclaim" the Fens?
4. In chapter 25, Tom Crick gauges the reaction of his students at his racy revelations. What does he observe about rebellion in this context?
5. in chapter 44, Tom Crick and his wife Mary return the baby Mary stole to the Safeways store where she found it. What are Tom's fears as they approach the mother of the child and how does the mother react?
6. Chapter 26 is a long dissertation by Tom Crick about the mating habits of the eel. Recall three theories about how eels procreate that naturalists have advanced over the millennia.
7. Chapter 9 details the rise of the Atkinson family through various activities and involvements. After Tom Atkinson marries Sarah Turnbull. Sarah becomes a pivotal character in the Atkinson story. How?
8. In chapter 32, Tom Crick describes the relationship between Mary and Dick. Why does Mary say she wants to "educate" Dick and what is the version of events that she tells Tom?
9. In chapter 33, Tom Crick takes Price to a bar to have a drink. What is the question Price asks Tom that shakes Tom the most?
10. At the end of chapter 47, Tom says that "we all come to out asylums." Where is he when he says this and what does he mean?
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)