|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry Crick's occupation?
(a) Brewmaster at the Atkinson Brewery.
(b) Lock keeper at the Atkinson Lock.
(c) Barge captain on the River Ouse.
(d) History teacher.
2. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
3. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
(b) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
(c) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
(d) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
4. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
(a) The Lake District in northern England.
(b) The docks of East London.
(c) The coastline of Cornwall.
(d) The Fens in eastern England.
5. During the festivities for the newly crowned King George V, the New Atkinson Brewery is destroyed. How?
(a) A fire nobody can explain.
(b) An overexcited mob looking for more ale.
(c) A delivery truck rams one of the main pillars and collapses the building.
(d) An accidental explosion in the boiler room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
2. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
3. What is the worst thing Tom Crick can imagine?
4. Who hunted in Greenwich Park, where Tom and Mary sit in the evenings with their dog?
5. Where do the Cricks find the body of Freddie Parr?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 45, what is the symbolic significance of where Dick elected to hide the key from Tom to their mother's chest?
2. Who does the chapter title "The Saviour of the World" refer to, and what does it mean?
3. At the end of chapter 45, Tom and Dick have a conversation about Mary and her baby. What is the one thing Dick confesses to Harry, and what are the two things Tom tells Dick?
4. In chapter 22, the role of Ernest Atkinson in the events of Coronation Day is ambiguous. Please describe the events of Coronation Day and why they appear to have happened.
5. In chapter 8, Tom Crick speaks about how humans tell stories. What are some examples he uses about how history and fiction sometimes seem to overlap?
6. Chapter 26 is a long dissertation by Tom Crick about the mating habits of the eel. Recall three theories about how eels procreate that naturalists have advanced over the millennia.
7. In chapter 4, what is the reasoning the headmaster Lewis Scott gives Tom Crick for laying Tom off and merging history with General Studies?
8. In chapter 11, Tom Crick describes the inquest into Freddie Parr's death. What does the judge determine is the official cause of death, and how does he arrive at his conclusion?
9. In chapter 17, tells a version of the love story between Harry Crick and Helen Atkinson. How did they meet?
10. In chapter 13, Tom Crick uses a pun on the word "histrionics" to explain his feelings. What is that pun and what is its significance?
This section contains 1,592 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)