|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
(a) He dreams of the headmaster drowning in a canal.
(b) He dreams of Mary as she was when she was 15.
(c) He dreams of a woman wailing in a supermarket.
(d) He dreams of Price as the Prime Minister of Britain.
2. Who hunted in Greenwich Park, where Tom and Mary sit in the evenings with their dog?
(a) King Henry VIII.
(b) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(c) Queen Anne.
(d) The Duke of Wellington.
3. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
(a) Drinking Coronation Ale.
(b) Heckling by Ernest Atkinson.
(c) The sound of a beer barge foghorn.
(d) Helen Atkinson's beauty.
4. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
(a) Tom breaks into the Metcalf home at night and runs off with Mary.
(b) Tom's father Harry asks Harold for permission in the place of his son.
(c) Tom comes home a war hero, and Harold Metcalf is too embarrassed to say no.
(d) Mary ignores her father and elopes with Tom.
5. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
(a) He get engaged to a poor journalist's daughter without his parents' permission.
(b) He closes the Atkinson brewery and begins selling soda instead.
(c) He proclaims that he believes Sarah Atkinson's ghost haunts his bedroom.
(d) He bathes in a public fountain with some of his Cambridge classmates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
2. What is the lesson about history that Tom Crick draws from the study of eel mating behavior?
3. Johannes Schmidt, whose theory about eels and their mating habits is considered the most accurate one, thought that eels mate where?
4. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
5. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 19, Tom Crick describes the beginning of the decline of his grandfather, Ernest Atkinson. Discuss what caused that decline.
2. Chapter 49 is one more chapter Tom Crick spends lamenting what happens when idealists begin revolutions and lose sight of their ideals. What is that example?
3. In chapter 1, the narrator describes the Crick family's relationship with the Fens how?
4. In chapter 17, tells a version of the love story between Harry Crick and Helen Atkinson. How did they meet?
5. What is the surprise Tom Crick encounters when he stands up to speak at the end of chapter 48?
6. In chapter 6, Tom Crick suggests that the Fens and history have what in common?
7. What is the significance of phlegm for the body according to chapter 51?
8. In chapter 11, Tom Crick describes the inquest into Freddie Parr's death. What does the judge determine is the official cause of death, and how does he arrive at his conclusion?
9. in chapter 15, Tom Crick gives a history of the River Ouse and the Fenlands in its river valley. List at least three details from the river's history.
10. In chapter 34, Mary's experiment to teach Dick about love ends abruptly. How?
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)