|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom notice for the first time when Mary struggles with Freddie Parr's prank?
(a) That Terry Coe is afraid of eels.
(b) That Mary is ticklish.
(c) That Dick is interested in Mary and that Mary is interested in Dick.
(d) That Freddie Parr is a drunkard.
2. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
(b) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
(c) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
(d) They invent the steam engine.
3. What tells Tom that he and Mary must finish their argument quickly because the park is about to close?
(a) The park-keeper's bell.
(b) The steady stream of dog owners towards the park gates.
(c) The gruff voice of the park warden asking others to leave.
(d) The sunset glistening on the duck pond.
4. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
5. What is the motto of the New Brewery in Gildsey?
(a) Quid Pro Quo.
(b) Sine Qua Non.
(c) E Pluribus Unum.
(d) Ex Aqua Fermentum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the books Tom Crick reads that he finds in the trove of books collected by his great-aunts Louisa and Dora?
2. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
3. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
4. What does Freddie Parr do to Mary as revenge for setting him up to lose the competition because she knew he couldn't swim?
5. Tom tells us that as a young teenager Mary liked to "experiment" with boys. Whom does he NOT suspect her of sleeping with?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 5, what does Tom notice about Freddie Parr's face, and what does he conclude from it?
2. In chapter 33, Tom Crick takes Price to a bar to have a drink. What is the question Price asks Tom that shakes Tom the most?
3. Chapter 26 is a long dissertation by Tom Crick about the mating habits of the eel. Recall three theories about how eels procreate that naturalists have advanced over the millennia.
4. In chapter 2, a student called Price interrupts Tom Crick, the history teacher, to tell him what about history?
5. IIn Chapter 43, what significant change occurs in Tom and Price's attitude toward history?
6. In chapter 25, Tom Crick gauges the reaction of his students at his racy revelations. What does he observe about rebellion in this context?
7. In chapter 22, the role of Ernest Atkinson in the events of Coronation Day is ambiguous. Please describe the events of Coronation Day and why they appear to have happened.
8. Who does the chapter title "The Saviour of the World" refer to, and what does it mean?
9. As he watches Dick ride off on his motorbike at the end of chapter 46, Tom states that Dick rides as if he has the legacy of the Atkinsons on his back. How so?
10. In chapter 23, Tom Crick asserts that the 14th of July festivities the French celebrate as Bastille Day are more of a fairy tale than anything else. What makes him say so?
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)