|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
(b) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
(c) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
(d) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
2. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
(a) History will be eliminated from the curriculum.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Tom Crick has stopped teaching the syllabus.
(d) The headmaster does not like Tom Crick.
3. Which of the boys' bodies does Mary appear to be most interested in?
(a) Terry Coe.
(b) Tom Crick.
(c) Freddie Parr.
(d) Dick Crick.
4. During the festivities for the newly crowned King George V, the New Atkinson Brewery is destroyed. How?
(a) A delivery truck rams one of the main pillars and collapses the building.
(b) A fire nobody can explain.
(c) An overexcited mob looking for more ale.
(d) An accidental explosion in the boiler room.
5. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(b) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
(c) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
(d) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
2. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
3. What is the name of the ale Ernest Atkinson brews that seems to cause the end of any respect for him in Gildsey because it is too good?
4. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
5. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 21, Tom Crick asks, "when the past tries to demolish itself, how do you demolish the past?" What is he getting at?
2. In chapter 32, Tom Crick describes the relationship between Mary and Dick. Why does Mary say she wants to "educate" Dick and what is the version of events that she tells Tom?
3. Chapter 9 details the rise of the Atkinson family through various activities and involvements. After Tom Atkinson marries Sarah Turnbull. Sarah becomes a pivotal character in the Atkinson story. How?
4. In chapter 27, Tom Crick explains what he means by Natural History. What does he think it is a study of, truly?
5. In chapter 42, a new-found confidante helps Mary to get something Mary wants. What is that?
6. Chapter 26 is a long dissertation by Tom Crick about the mating habits of the eel. Recall three theories about how eels procreate that naturalists have advanced over the millennia.
7. In chapter 47, Tom explains why he thinks Mary's mental illness can't be healed. Explain his reasoning.
8. In chapter 40, Tom Crick discusses "contemporary nightmares." What are they?
9. In chapter 37, Tom Crick discusses the idea of terror and how it aids people in pretending they're changing the world for the better. What are some examples Tom gives from the French Revolution?
10. In chapter 13, Tom Crick uses a pun on the word "histrionics" to explain his feelings. What is that pun and what is its significance?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)