|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Julian of Norwich.
(b) St. Gunnhilda.
(c) St. Mary.
(d) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
2. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
3. What is the name of the ale Ernest Atkinson brews that seems to cause the end of any respect for him in Gildsey because it is too good?
(a) Gildsey Flood Ale.
(b) Helen Atkinson Ale.
(c) Diamond Jubilee Ale.
(d) Coronation Ale.
4. What is the worst thing Tom Crick can imagine?
(a) Humans forget their own history.
(b) Mary stops loving him.
(c) Humans stop being curious.
(d) Nuclear weapons destroy the earth.
5. What mesmerized King Canute as he was rowed past Ely?
(a) The chanting of the monks at the Ely monastery.
(b) The beauty of the girls washing laundry near the riverbank.
(c) The sound of the sea breeze as it rushed through the reeds.
(d) The singing of the swans in the fens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
2. What does Tom Crick think the French really celebrate on Bastille Day when they mark the beginning of the French Revolution?
3. What medical condition is Tom afraid that Mary might have?
4. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
5. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 26 is a long dissertation by Tom Crick about the mating habits of the eel. Recall three theories about how eels procreate that naturalists have advanced over the millennia.
2. In chapter 40, Tom Crick discusses "contemporary nightmares." What are they?
3. What is the surprise Tom Crick encounters when he stands up to speak at the end of chapter 48?
4. In chapter 38, Tom describes the death of his mother from the flu. What is most remarkable about it to him?
5. In chapter 4, what is the reasoning the headmaster Lewis Scott gives Tom Crick for laying Tom off and merging history with General Studies?
6. In chapter 42, a new-found confidante helps Mary to get something Mary wants. What is that?
7. Who does the chapter title "The Saviour of the World" refer to, and what does it mean?
8. In chapter 33, Tom Crick takes Price to a bar to have a drink. What is the question Price asks Tom that shakes Tom the most?
9. In chapter 3, the narrator discusses the history of the Fens in eastern England and human attempts to drain them and make them fit for agriculture. "Strictly speaking," the narrator says what about the effort to "reclaim" the Fens?
10. In chapter 19, Tom Crick describes the beginning of the decline of his grandfather, Ernest Atkinson. Discuss what caused that decline.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)