|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tells Tom that he and Mary must finish their argument quickly because the park is about to close?
(a) The sunset glistening on the duck pond.
(b) The steady stream of dog owners towards the park gates.
(c) The park-keeper's bell.
(d) The gruff voice of the park warden asking others to leave.
2. What does Tom Crick think the French really celebrate on Bastille Day when they mark the beginning of the French Revolution?
(a) An event that never took place.
(b) The power of the mob over government.
(c) The beginning of the Napoleonic Empire.
(d) An event that was not nearly as important at the time as it is now made out to be.
3. What was Freddie Parr's father, Jack Parr, infamous for in the Gildsey area?
(a) His tendency to get into fights with the local barman.
(b) His habit of stealing livestock off the river barges.
(c) His heckling of young women who worked in the fields.
(d) His ability to smuggle liquor out of an American military base nearby.
4. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
(a) He dreams of Mary as she was when she was 15.
(b) He dreams of Price as the Prime Minister of Britain.
(c) He dreams of the headmaster drowning in a canal.
(d) He dreams of a woman wailing in a supermarket.
5. What does Ernest Atkinson convert his manor Kessling Hall into?
(a) A museum in honor of Sarah Atkinson.
(b) An asylum for the mentally ill.
(c) A hospital for the wounded of World War I.
(d) A school for orphans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis Scott, the headmaster at the school where Tom Crick teaches, thinks history should be considered part of what other field?
2. What is the lesson about history that Tom Crick draws from the study of eel mating behavior?
3. What World War I battle was Tom's father injured in and saw his brother killed in earlier in the day?
4. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
5. What about the scene at the Lode does NOT remind Tom of the later scene of Freddie Parr's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. IIn Chapter 43, what significant change occurs in Tom and Price's attitude toward history?
2. In chapter 1, the narrator describes the Crick family's relationship with the Fens how?
3. In chapter 50, Harry Crick is bed-ridden in Tom's and Mary's first house in Gildsey. What made him ill?
4. In chapter 46, Tom opens his mother's chest in the attic and finds a few items. What are they and what is their significance?
5. In chapter 11, Tom Crick describes the inquest into Freddie Parr's death. What does the judge determine is the official cause of death, and how does he arrive at his conclusion?
6. Chapter 18 once again recounts the conversation the headmaster Lewis Scott and Tom Crick have about Tom's forced retirement. The headmaster attempts to diffuse the tension by offering Tom large amounts of what?
7. Chapter 36 is titled "About Nothing." What is the "nothing" that Tom refers to?
8. In chapter 19, Tom Crick describes the beginning of the decline of his grandfather, Ernest Atkinson. Discuss what caused that decline.
9. Chapter 49 is one more chapter Tom Crick spends lamenting what happens when idealists begin revolutions and lose sight of their ideals. What is that example?
10. In chapter 43, Tom Crick parts from Price shouting "don't let him do it!" What is he referring to and what theme that has run through the novel is this a culmination of?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)