|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What World War I battle was Tom's father injured in and saw his brother killed in earlier in the day?
2. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
(a) Because of parental insanity.
(b) In place of the parents.
(c) Placed in parentheses.
(d) According to the logic of the parents.
3. What is it that Tom decides he must find at all cost?
(a) A full bottle of Coronation Ale.
(b) His grandfather's diary.
(c) A way to expose Dick as Freddie's murderer.
(d) A key to his mother's chest in the attic.
4. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
(a) Lewis Scott.
(b) Mary Crick.
(d) Tom Crick.
5. During the festivities for the newly crowned King George V, the New Atkinson Brewery is destroyed. How?
(a) A fire nobody can explain.
(b) An accidental explosion in the boiler room.
(c) A delivery truck rams one of the main pillars and collapses the building.
(d) An overexcited mob looking for more ale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
2. How does Freddie Parr's father Jack react to the ruling by the court that Freddie's death was an accident?
3. Tom confronts Price about his frequent interruptions during class. What question does Price's reluctance about history boil down to?
4. What is the name of the ale Ernest Atkinson brews that seems to cause the end of any respect for him in Gildsey because it is too good?
5. Why does Tom Crick decide to study the history of the Fens?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 32, Tom Crick describes the relationship between Mary and Dick. Why does Mary say she wants to "educate" Dick and what is the version of events that she tells Tom?
2. In chapter 1, the narrator describes the Crick family's relationship with the Fens how?
3. What is the surprise Tom Crick encounters when he stands up to speak at the end of chapter 48?
4. In chapter 20, Price tells Tom Crick that he thinks "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near them." Why does Price think he does not need to have explanations for history?
5. In chapter 19, Tom Crick describes the beginning of the decline of his grandfather, Ernest Atkinson. Discuss what caused that decline.
6. In chapter 7, Tom describes the complicated relationship between Mary, Tom, Freddie Parr, and Dick. Briefly discuss the main dynamics of this relationship.
7. At the end of chapter 45, Tom and Dick have a conversation about Mary and her baby. What is the one thing Dick confesses to Harry, and what are the two things Tom tells Dick?
8. In chapter 2, a student called Price interrupts Tom Crick, the history teacher, to tell him what about history?
9. in chapter 44, Tom Crick and his wife Mary return the baby Mary stole to the Safeways store where she found it. What are Tom's fears as they approach the mother of the child and how does the mother react?
10. In chapter 27, Tom Crick explains what he means by Natural History. What does he think it is a study of, truly?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)