|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
(a) They helped drain the marshes by buiding locks and canals.
(b) They owned a major textile factory.
(c) They ran a famous brewery.
(d) They represented the Gildsey district in parliament.
2. What does Tom notice for the first time when Mary struggles with Freddie Parr's prank?
(a) That Mary is ticklish.
(b) That Terry Coe is afraid of eels.
(c) That Freddie Parr is a drunkard.
(d) That Dick is interested in Mary and that Mary is interested in Dick.
3. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
(a) He runs as a candidate for the Liberal Party.
(b) He offends the mayor of Gildsey.
(c) He opposes the unionization of dock workers.
(d) He sneezes in parliament during a speech by King George V.
4. Which of the following is NOT a theory that biologists have put forward about how eels reproduce?
(a) Eels form out of small parasites that begin their lives in the belly of larger fish.
(b) Eels fertilize their eggs internally and bring forth live young.
(c) Eels are sexless and a born spontaneously out of the mud.
(d) Eels create offspring by rubbing against rocks; the young form the shreds of skin that come off.
5. What is the motto of the New Brewery in Gildsey?
(a) Sine Qua Non.
(b) Quid Pro Quo.
(c) E Pluribus Unum.
(d) Ex Aqua Fermentum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the worst thing Tom Crick can imagine?
2. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
3. Whom does Tom Crick quote as saying, "we cannot step into the same river twice?"
4. What game are Tom Crick, Freddie Parr, Peter Baine, and Terry Coe playing with Mary Metcalf and Shirley Alford on the banks of the Hockwell Lode as Dick Crick looks on?
5. What does Ernest Atkinson convert his manor Kessling Hall into?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 22, the role of Ernest Atkinson in the events of Coronation Day is ambiguous. Please describe the events of Coronation Day and why they appear to have happened.
2. In chapter 50, Harry Crick spends a lot of time thinking about the significance of the bed he is lying in. What is his conclusion?
3. In chapter 5, what does Tom notice about Freddie Parr's face, and what does he conclude from it?
4. In chapter 1, the narrator describes the Crick family's relationship with the Fens how?
5. In chapter 50, Harry Crick is bed-ridden in Tom's and Mary's first house in Gildsey. What made him ill?
6. In chapter 42, a new-found confidante helps Mary to get something Mary wants. What is that?
7. In chapter 38, Tom describes the death of his mother from the flu. What is most remarkable about it to him?
8. Briefly discuss how, in chapter 44, his interview with the police unravels Tom's earlier ideas about teaching the facts of history.
9. In chapter 31, Price tells Tom Crick about the student club he is part of. What club is that and what is its purpose?
10. In chapter 4, what is the reasoning the headmaster Lewis Scott gives Tom Crick for laying Tom off and merging history with General Studies?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)