|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
(a) The Crimean Victory.
(b) The Grand '51.
(c) The Golden Jubilee.
(d) The Empress of India.
2. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
(a) A blind ox.
(b) A caged wolf.
(c) A tethered dog.
(d) A chained falcon.
3. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
(a) He dreams of Price as the Prime Minister of Britain.
(b) He dreams of the headmaster drowning in a canal.
(c) He dreams of Mary as she was when she was 15.
(d) He dreams of a woman wailing in a supermarket.
4. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
(a) Mary ignores her father and elopes with Tom.
(b) Tom breaks into the Metcalf home at night and runs off with Mary.
(c) Tom comes home a war hero, and Harold Metcalf is too embarrassed to say no.
(d) Tom's father Harry asks Harold for permission in the place of his son.
5. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie had been hit on the head with a bottle.
(b) Freddie had committed suicide.
(c) Freddie was drunk, fell in the water, and could not swim.
(d) Freddie had been robbed and drowned by thugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freddie Parr do to Mary as revenge for setting him up to lose the competition because she knew he couldn't swim?
2. Which boy is most aggressive about asking the two girls to take their clothes off?
3. How does Freddie Parr's father Jack react to the ruling by the court that Freddie's death was an accident?
4. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
5. Which of the boys' bodies does Mary appear to be most interested in?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 33, Tom Crick takes Price to a bar to have a drink. What is the question Price asks Tom that shakes Tom the most?
2. In chapter 32, Tom Crick describes the relationship between Mary and Dick. Why does Mary say she wants to "educate" Dick and what is the version of events that she tells Tom?
3. In chapter 10, Tom Crick explains that he thinks the most important question is the question "why?" How does he use Louis XVI's fate to illustrate that point?
4. In chapter 5, what does Tom notice about Freddie Parr's face, and what does he conclude from it?
5. As he watches Dick ride off on his motorbike at the end of chapter 46, Tom states that Dick rides as if he has the legacy of the Atkinsons on his back. How so?
6. In chapter 1, the narrator describes the Crick family's relationship with the Fens how?
7. In chapter 24, Tom, Dick, Freddie Parr, Mary Metcalf, and a few other kids are playing together near the water. What is the importance of the eel to all the events that transpire afterwards?
8. Chapter 36 is titled "About Nothing." What is the "nothing" that Tom refers to?
9. What is the surprise Tom Crick encounters when he stands up to speak at the end of chapter 48?
10. In chapter 28, Tom explains why he turned to history and stories as passionately as he did. Why is that?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)