|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
(a) She stole a baby from a stroller in a supermarket.
(b) She began to scream at odd times of the night.
(c) Tom Crick hit her over the head and she lost her mind.
(d) She has developed Alzheimer's disease.
2. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
(a) According to the logic of the parents.
(b) Because of parental insanity.
(c) In place of the parents.
(d) Placed in parentheses.
3. Which boy is most aggressive about asking the two girls to take their clothes off?
(a) Dick Crick.
(b) Freddie Parr.
(c) Peter Baine.
(d) Tom Crick.
4. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
5. What does Tom Crick think the French really celebrate on Bastille Day when they mark the beginning of the French Revolution?
(a) The beginning of the Napoleonic Empire.
(b) An event that never took place.
(c) The power of the mob over government.
(d) An event that was not nearly as important at the time as it is now made out to be.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
2. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
3. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
4. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
5. What is the great mystery about the eel that nobody has been able to explain?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of chapter 49, Tom Crick compares progress to the process of reclaiming land lost to flooding. What does he mean?
2. IIn Chapter 43, what significant change occurs in Tom and Price's attitude toward history?
3. In chapter 46, Tom opens his mother's chest in the attic and finds a few items. What are they and what is their significance?
4. At the end of chapter 47, Tom says that "we all come to out asylums." Where is he when he says this and what does he mean?
5. In chapter 27, Tom Crick explains what he means by Natural History. What does he think it is a study of, truly?
6. In chapter 5, what does Tom notice about Freddie Parr's face, and what does he conclude from it?
7. In chapter 25, Tom Crick gauges the reaction of his students at his racy revelations. What does he observe about rebellion in this context?
8. In chapter 33, Tom Crick takes Price to a bar to have a drink. What is the question Price asks Tom that shakes Tom the most?
9. In chapter 21, Tom Crick asks, "when the past tries to demolish itself, how do you demolish the past?" What is he getting at?
10. In chapter 2, a student called Price interrupts Tom Crick, the history teacher, to tell him what about history?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)