|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
(a) A chained falcon.
(b) A caged wolf.
(c) A blind ox.
(d) A tethered dog.
2. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
(a) The Crimean Victory.
(b) The Golden Jubilee.
(c) The Empress of India.
(d) The Grand '51.
3. What about Mary strikes Tom when he returns from Germany at the end of World War II to marry her?
(a) How much more beautiful she has become.
(b) How frail and vulnerable she seems.
(c) How much of her old spark and curiosity she has lost.
(d) How tough and independent she has become.
4. Which boy is most aggressive about asking the two girls to take their clothes off?
(a) Peter Baine.
(b) Freddie Parr.
(c) Dick Crick.
(d) Tom Crick.
5. What is the agreement between Helen and Ernest Atkinson in exchange for Ernest allowing Helen to marry Harry Crick?
(a) That Helen will have Ernest's child.
(b) That Helen will find a way to assuage Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
(c) That Helen will help Ernest commit suicide.
(d) That Helen will become a nurse at the Kessling Hall asylum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ale Ernest Atkinson brews that seems to cause the end of any respect for him in Gildsey because it is too good?
2. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
3. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
4. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
5. Tom thinks that people who focus on ideals like the Declaration of the Rights of Man instead of the details of the French Revolution forget what important fact?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 19, Tom Crick describes the beginning of the decline of his grandfather, Ernest Atkinson. Discuss what caused that decline.
2. Briefly discuss how, in chapter 44, his interview with the police unravels Tom's earlier ideas about teaching the facts of history.
3. Chapter 16 is titled "Longitude 0°." What is this a reference to?
4. IIn Chapter 43, what significant change occurs in Tom and Price's attitude toward history?
5. In chapter 41, Mary makes a decision to see someone for help with her miscarriage. Whom does Mary want to go and see?
6. In chapter 10, Tom Crick explains that he thinks the most important question is the question "why?" How does he use Louis XVI's fate to illustrate that point?
7. What is the surprise Tom Crick encounters when he stands up to speak at the end of chapter 48?
8. Chapter 51 is titled "About Phlegm." What is the significance of phlegm for the novel?
9. In chapter 42, a new-found confidante helps Mary to get something Mary wants. What is that?
10. Chapter 36 is titled "About Nothing." What is the "nothing" that Tom refers to?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)