|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the image Tom uses to describe his idea of progress?
(a) Reclaiming land
(b) An eel
(c) The guillotine
(d) Dick on a motorcycle
2. What's the "old, old feeling" that Tom Crick tells Price everybody has always felt?
(a) That nobody really understand anyone.
(b) That everything might amount to nothing.
(c) That maybe there is no God.
(d) That life must have meaning.
3. What is NOT one of the emblems of by-gone years that Tom includes in his list of memories he wants Mary to recall?
(a) Fireworks over the Fens.
(b) Two crossed ears of barley on ships' bows.
(c) Steam trains.
(d) Fairy tales.
4. Where does Tom go after he leaves Mary at the insane asylum?
(a) Greenwich Park.
(c) Price's parents' house.
(d) The Safeways supermarket.
5. Who buys a large house in Gildsey for the newly married Tom and Mary?
(a) Tom Crick.
(b) Harold Metcalf.
(c) Harry Crick.
(d) Dick Crick.
6. What is the phrase Tom uses about who should not have to prop up whom?
(a) Rebels shouldn't have to prop up the tyrant.
(b) The smart should not have to prop up the ignorant.
(c) Teachers shouldn't have to prop up their student's future.
(d) Civilians shouldn't have to prop up the government.
7. What does Tom compare the execution of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to?
(a) A circus attraction.
(b) Mary's abortion.
(c) A puppet show.
(d) Plucking a chicken.
8. When Harry Crick hears that Mary told her father that Tom is the father of her aborted child, what does he tell Tom they should do?
(a) Get married.
(b) Repent and confess to a priest.
(c) Never mention it again.
(d) Stay away from each other.
9. How old is Mary when she steals the baby?
10. What sparks Tom Crick's interest in the mating habits of eels?
(a) His desire to show his own curiosity is as strong as Mary's.
(b) Mary tells Tom if he can find out the truth about how eels mate, she'll stop her love lessons with Dick.
(c) Mary asks him to look it up because she wants to use it as an example to teach Dick about sex.
(d) His memory of an eel in Mary's knickers and his need to take his mind off Mary being with Dick.
11. What is the name of the supermarket that Mary stole the baby from?
12. What does Tom Crick say is the mission of a history teacher?
(a) To instill in his students a sense of destiny.
(b) To make sure his students end up loving history.
(c) To motivate his students to be active citizens.
(d) To teach his students about mistakes.
13. Where did the stuffed pike come from?
(a) It was a wedding present for Dick and Helen Crick.
(b) Dick never tells anyone.
(c) Dick caught it.
(d) Tom caught it and gave it to Dick for his birthday.
14. What is the title Ernest Atkinson gives Dick in the letter?
(a) Most Beloved Grandson.
(b) Earl of Gildsey.
(c) Saviour of the World.
(d) An expletive.
15. What is NOT a positive personality trait associated with phlegm, and one notably absent from most of the major characters of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Crick compares the end of a person's life to...
2. What is Tom Crick's response to Mary's claim that God speaks to her.
3. Tom dislikes the pike because...
4. What does Tom tell Dick about Mary's baby?
5. What does Tom call the students?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)