|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the phrase Tom uses about who should not have to prop up whom?
(a) Rebels shouldn't have to prop up the tyrant.
(b) Civilians shouldn't have to prop up the government.
(c) Teachers shouldn't have to prop up their student's future.
(d) The smart should not have to prop up the ignorant.
2. What is the name of the Cricks' golden retriever?
3. What is the name of the student club that Price is part of?
(a) The Tom Crick Admirers Association.
(b) The Holocaust Club/Anti-Armageddon League.
(c) The Students For the Future Society.
(d) Concerned Students for Democratic Change.
4. Who dies of the flu?
(a) Harry Crick.
(b) Ernest Atkinson.
(c) Helen Crick.
(d) Jack Parr.
5. What does Mary stare at all day at the mental hospital?
(a) A travel picture book of the Fens.
(b) The ceiling of her room.
(c) The playground children across the road.
(d) A picture of Dick Crick.
6. Where does Price accompany Tom before they part?
(a) The gates of the school.
(b) All the way home.
(c) The bus stop.
(d) The taxi stand.
7. Who tells Harry Crick the truth about Freddie Parr and Dick?
(a) The ghost of Sarah Atkinson.
8. Where does Tom Crick take Price to talk about Tom's forced retirement?
(a) The British Library in downtown London.
(b) A pub called The Duke's Head.
(d) Greenwich Park.
9. What does Mary fail to explain to Dick properly, with terrible consequences?
(a) How children are actually made.
(b) That she is truly in love with Dick.
(c) That she is truly in love with Tom.
(d) That she is truly in love with Freddie.
10. What it the brand of Dick's motorbike?
(c) Harley Davidson.
11. What is the name of the Cricks' doctor?
(a) Dr. Atlee.
(b) Dr. Higginbotham.
(c) Dr. Fiddler.
(d) Dr. Bright.
12. What is the mother's reaction to the Cricks when they return the baby?
(a) She ignores them and only has eyes for the baby.
(b) She pretends that the baby isn't hers.
(c) She assaults Mary and tries to scratch her eyes out.
(d) She shouts for the police to arrest them.
13. Tom thinks Mary cannot overcome her insanity because...
(a) He does not love her enough.
(b) Brain chemistry is destiny.
(c) There is no cure for Alzheimer's.
(d) She keeps reliving the past.
14. What does the letter reveal to Tom and Dick about Dick?
(a) That Ernest found Dick in the shrubs near a canal and Helen adopted him.
(b) That Dick is entitled to Ernest's seat in the British parliament.
(c) That he is the heir to a vast fortune hidden in the Fens.
(d) That he is the child of incest between Ernest and his daughter Helen.
15. What does Tom compare the execution of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to?
(a) A puppet show.
(b) Plucking a chicken.
(c) A circus attraction.
(d) Mary's abortion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important phrase does Tom shout to Price just before they part?
2. What does Tom call the students?
3. What are Mary and Tom waiting for the last time they lie together at the windmill?
4. In Tom's mind, the headmaster thinks of the school as what, figuratively speaking?
5. What does Mary tell Tom about the unborn child at the windmill?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)