|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two fictional characters does Tom compare himself and Mary to as they walk the Fenland tracks to Martha Clay's cottage?
(a) Hereward and Torfrida.
(b) Lancelot and Guinevere.
(c) Robin Hood and Maid Marian.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
2. What important phrase does Tom shout to Price just before they part?
(a) All I told you was lies!
(b) Don't become like I am!
(c) Don't let them do it!
(d) Don't forget me!
3. Why does Harry Crick abandon his cottage by the Atkinson lock?
(a) He moves to a retirement home near Tom.
(b) He sees the ghost of Sarah Atkinson.
(c) He takes a job in Gildsey as a janitor.
(d) The River Leem floods and destroys it.
4. Who tells Harry Crick the truth about Freddie Parr and Dick?
(a) The ghost of Sarah Atkinson.
5. Where does Tom Crick take Price to talk about Tom's forced retirement?
(a) Greenwich Park.
(b) A pub called The Duke's Head.
(c) The British Library in downtown London.
6. Why does Mary tell Dick that she is pregnant with Freddie Parr's child?
(a) She wants to end her love lessons with Dick.
(b) She wants Dick to make Freddie leave her alone.
(c) She tells Dick it isn't his child, sees his anger, and wants to protect Tom.
(d) She's being silly, but Dick doesn't understand that she is joking.
7. At the end of chapter 44, Tom Crick decides that what people really want to know isn't truth. What they really want is...
(a) An excuse to hate.
(b) To know that they're right.
(d) To laugh at someone.
8. What are Mary and Tom waiting for the last time they lie together at the windmill?
(a) For a voice from God telling them what to do.
(b) For the first winter snow.
(c) For Dick to find them and kill them.
(d) For Mary to have a miscarriage.
9. How old is Mary when she steals the baby?
10. How does Harry Crick find out that his son Dick is in love with Mary?
(a) Mary's father, Harold Metcalf, asks him to keep Dick away from Mary.
(b) He overhears Dick talking to himself about Mary.
(c) Dick angrily shouts at Tom to stay away from Mary.
(d) Dick asks how babies are made.
11. Tom thinks that progress leads...
(a) To a brighter future.
(b) To forgetting.
(d) Back to where we started.
12. When Tom and Mary take the baby back to the car, Tom is afraid that the silent baby is what?
(a) Not real.
(b) Suffering interior injuries.
(c) In a coma.
(d) Dead with shock.
13. What is Dick's reaction to the revelation about his birth?
(a) He shouts that he lu-lu-loves Tom.
(b) He laughs, jumps up and down, and cries,
(c) He runs from the room, hides, and then drives off on his motorbike.
(d) He tries to kill Tom with one of the beer bottles.
14. Who dies of the flu?
(a) Helen Crick.
(b) Harry Crick.
(c) Jack Parr.
(d) Ernest Atkinson.
15. What is the name of the Cricks' doctor?
(a) Dr. Fiddler.
(b) Dr. Higginbotham.
(c) Dr. Atlee.
(d) Dr. Bright.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mary's father Harold Metcalf treat Tom's father Harry?
2. Where does the old Mary Crick claim she got her child without being pregnant?
3. What is the reason Mary gives Tom for trying to seduce Dick in chapter 32?
4. What is the name of the Cricks' golden retriever?
5. How long does Harry Crick have to wait until he is rescued?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)