|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not one of the things Tom does in the evenings when he alone?
(a) Drink heavily.
(b) Grade papers.
(d) Smoke cigarettes.
2. What is the name of the supermarket that Mary stole the baby from?
3. Why does Mary tell Dick that she is pregnant with Freddie Parr's child?
(a) She wants to end her love lessons with Dick.
(b) She's being silly, but Dick doesn't understand that she is joking.
(c) She wants Dick to make Freddie leave her alone.
(d) She tells Dick it isn't his child, sees his anger, and wants to protect Tom.
4. What is the catastrophe that hits Europe in January 1937?
(a) Word War II begins.
(b) A series of catastrophic floods.
(c) A flu epidemic.
(d) A record cold winter.
5. How does Price feel about helping his drunk teacher Tom Crick once they are out on the street outside the pub?
6. How did Mary's father Harold Metcalf treat Tom's father Harry?
(a) Like a man treats his long-lost brother.
(b) Like a high and mighty squire treats a supplicant serf.
(c) Like a priest treats an unrepentent sinner.
(d) Like an angry father treats his daughter's murderer.
7. What is the question Price asks Tom during their evening spent together that shakes Tom most deeply?
(a) Whether Tom truly loves Mary.
(b) Whether Tom isn't actually happy about having been fired.
(c) Whether Tom has ever considered ending it all.
(d) Whether Tom even would want to bring children into the world as it is.
8. Where does Tom go after he leaves Mary at the insane asylum?
(a) Price's parents' house.
(b) The Safeways supermarket.
(c) Greenwich Park.
9. What it the brand of Dick's motorbike?
(d) Harley Davidson.
10. In Tom's mind, the headmaster thinks of the school as what, figuratively speaking?
(a) An atomic bomb shelter.
(b) A kennel for wild dogs.
(c) A duck pond with a fence.
(d) A swamp full of lost sheep.
11. What does the headmaster calls the students of the Holocaust Club?
(a) Exemplary visionaries.
(b) Fear-mongering morons.
(c) Crick-loving losers.
(d) Prophets of doom.
12. What does Tom think is a superstition people believed in "once upon a time"?
(a) That history matters.
(c) The end of the world.
(d) The goodness of human kind.
13. What is the title Ernest Atkinson gives Dick in the letter?
(a) Most Beloved Grandson.
(b) Earl of Gildsey.
(c) Saviour of the World.
(d) An expletive.
14. Whom does Helen Crick ask to see when she is on her deathbed?
15. What is the name of the Cricks' golden retriever?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what days does Tom stay at home at night because Dick spends the evenings out with Mary?
2. What is NOT a positive personality trait associated with phlegm, and one notably absent from most of the major characters of the novel?
3. When Harry Crick hears that Mary told her father that Tom is the father of her aborted child, what does he tell Tom they should do?
4. What happens to Dick Crick when he hears the church bells ring?
5. What reason does the headmaster give the students for Tom's retirement from the school?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)