|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT in the chest Tom and Dick open in the attic?
(a) A letter from Ernest Atkinson to Dick.
(b) Four thick notebooks that are Ernest Atkinson's journals.
(c) A portrait picture of their mother when she was young and beautiful.
(d) Eleven bottles of Coronation Ale.
2. What does Mary fail to explain to Dick properly, with terrible consequences?
(a) That she is truly in love with Freddie.
(b) That she is truly in love with Dick.
(c) How children are actually made.
(d) That she is truly in love with Tom.
3. In Tom's mind, the headmaster thinks of the school as what, figuratively speaking?
(a) A swamp full of lost sheep.
(b) A duck pond with a fence.
(c) A kennel for wild dogs.
(d) An atomic bomb shelter.
4. How old is Mary when she steals the baby?
5. Why does Harry Crick abandon his cottage by the Atkinson lock?
(a) He sees the ghost of Sarah Atkinson.
(b) He moves to a retirement home near Tom.
(c) He takes a job in Gildsey as a janitor.
(d) The River Leem floods and destroys it.
6. Where did the stuffed pike come from?
(a) Dick caught it.
(b) It was a wedding present for Dick and Helen Crick.
(c) Tom caught it and gave it to Dick for his birthday.
(d) Dick never tells anyone.
7. What is the question Price asks Tom during their evening spent together that shakes Tom most deeply?
(a) Whether Tom even would want to bring children into the world as it is.
(b) Whether Tom isn't actually happy about having been fired.
(c) Whether Tom has ever considered ending it all.
(d) Whether Tom truly loves Mary.
8. What's the "old, old feeling" that Tom Crick tells Price everybody has always felt?
(a) That maybe there is no God.
(b) That life must have meaning.
(c) That nobody really understand anyone.
(d) That everything might amount to nothing.
9. What happens to Dick Crick when he hears the church bells ring?
(a) He hears his wife's voice in the sound of the bells.
(b) He takes Mary's hand and dies.
(c) He sees the ghost of Sarah Atkinson next to him.
(d) The sun shines on his face and he smiles.
10. What is the feeling Tom has about leaving Mary at the insane asylum?
(a) That she will get better with time.
(b) That he is not leaving her, but she him.
(c) He is afraid she'll be abused.
(d) He feels strangely elated.
11. What is Mary doing at the windmill when Tom finds her?
(a) She jumps so she falls on her stomach to kill her unborn child.
(b) She is cutting herself with a razor blade.
(c) She is talking to the wind as if it were a person.
(d) She is sleeping with Dick.
12. Where does Tom Crick take Price to talk about Tom's forced retirement?
(a) Greenwich Park.
(c) A pub called The Duke's Head.
(d) The British Library in downtown London.
13. What does the letter reveal to Tom and Dick about Dick?
(a) That Ernest found Dick in the shrubs near a canal and Helen adopted him.
(b) That he is the child of incest between Ernest and his daughter Helen.
(c) That he is the heir to a vast fortune hidden in the Fens.
(d) That Dick is entitled to Ernest's seat in the British parliament.
14. What does Mary tell Tom that she does not tell the judge?
(a) That she didn't really hear a voice from God telling her to take the child.
(b) That the mother had told her to take the child.
(c) That she had seen the mother pinch the child angrily.
(d) That she had planned abducting the child for a long time.
15. In chapter 32, what is the event that Dick cannot understand?
(a) His mother's death.
(b) Finding the bottle he used to kill Freddie.
(c) Freddie Parr's death.
(d) Mary's attempt to teach him about love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mary and Tom waiting for the last time they lie together at the windmill?
2. Instead of living up to their ideals of freedom, brotherhood, and equality, Tom says the French revolutionaries turned straight to what?
3. Who buys a large house in Gildsey for the newly married Tom and Mary?
4. Tom compares Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to what at the eve of the French Revolution?
5. How does Tom react to finding the child Mary has stolen?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)