|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dick's reaction to the revelation about his birth?
(a) He tries to kill Tom with one of the beer bottles.
(b) He shouts that he lu-lu-loves Tom.
(c) He laughs, jumps up and down, and cries,
(d) He runs from the room, hides, and then drives off on his motorbike.
2. What's the "old, old feeling" that Tom Crick tells Price everybody has always felt?
(a) That everything might amount to nothing.
(b) That life must have meaning.
(c) That maybe there is no God.
(d) That nobody really understand anyone.
3. According to ancient tradition, too much phlegm is best countered with large amounts of what substance that many characters in the novel use in large quantities?
4. What is NOT one of the emblems of by-gone years that Tom includes in his list of memories he wants Mary to recall?
(a) Steam trains.
(b) Fireworks over the Fens.
(c) Fairy tales.
(d) Two crossed ears of barley on ships' bows.
5. Price tells Tom Crick of his nightmare about:
(a) A black dog outside his window.
(b) A wailing woman in a supermarket.
(c) A nuclear holocaust.
(d) Tom Crick dying on the last day of class.
6. What is NOT one of the synonyms for phlegm used in chapter 52?
(c) Viscous semi-fluid.
7. Who turns out to be Ernest's other child?
(a) Dick Crick.
(b) Mary Metcalf.
(c) Tom Crick.
(d) Freddie Parr.
8. How does Price feel about helping his drunk teacher Tom Crick once they are out on the street outside the pub?
9. Instead of living up to their ideals of freedom, brotherhood, and equality, Tom says the French revolutionaries turned straight to what?
(a) Napoleon and his promises of glory and Empire.
(b) The radical capitalism of Adam Smith.
(c) Mob rule and mass murder.
(d) Destroying their own civilization.
10. In Tom's mind, the headmaster thinks of the school as what, figuratively speaking?
(a) A duck pond with a fence.
(b) A kennel for wild dogs.
(c) A swamp full of lost sheep.
(d) An atomic bomb shelter.
11. Where does Price accompany Tom before they part?
(a) The taxi stand.
(b) All the way home.
(c) The gates of the school.
(d) The bus stop.
12. Why does Mary tell Dick that she is pregnant with Freddie Parr's child?
(a) She's being silly, but Dick doesn't understand that she is joking.
(b) She wants to end her love lessons with Dick.
(c) She wants Dick to make Freddie leave her alone.
(d) She tells Dick it isn't his child, sees his anger, and wants to protect Tom.
13. What is Mary doing at the windmill when Tom finds her?
(a) She is sleeping with Dick.
(b) She is cutting herself with a razor blade.
(c) She is talking to the wind as if it were a person.
(d) She jumps so she falls on her stomach to kill her unborn child.
14. What does Price shout when Tom Crick stands up to give his farewell speech?
(a) Shut up! Get out!
(b) History is dead!
(c) No cuts! Keep Crick!
(d) All teachers are fascists!
15. While Martha locks herself in with Mary, she asks Tom to do what outside?
(a) Stand guard.
(b) Chop firewood.
(c) Pray to the Virgin Mary.
(d) Pluck a duck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the historical fact that Tom says "history scarcely finds time to mention"?
2. What is the name of the Cricks' golden retriever?
3. What is the name of the Cricks' doctor?
4. What does Mary tell Tom about the unborn child at the windmill?
5. In chapter 32, what is the event that Dick cannot understand?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)