|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom compares Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to what at the eve of the French Revolution?
(a) Adam and Eve on the day the serpent came.
(b) The French people's father and wicked step-mother.
(c) Two scared rabbits trapped in a hole.
(d) Him and Mary.
2. What is the question Price asks Tom during their evening spent together that shakes Tom most deeply?
(a) Whether Tom even would want to bring children into the world as it is.
(b) Whether Tom isn't actually happy about having been fired.
(c) Whether Tom truly loves Mary.
(d) Whether Tom has ever considered ending it all.
3. Which two fictional characters does Tom compare himself and Mary to as they walk the Fenland tracks to Martha Clay's cottage?
(a) Hereward and Torfrida.
(b) Robin Hood and Maid Marian.
(c) Lancelot and Guinevere.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
4. Tom Crick compares history teachers to which fictional character?
(a) Baron Münchhausen with his tall tales.
(b) King Lear.
(c) Scheherazade from 1001 Nights.
(d) The Wife of Bath from Canterbury Tales.
5. Why does Tom Crick apologize to Price outside the pub?
(a) Tom promised Price a lift but now is too drunk to drive.
(b) Tom thinks he wasted the students' time in his history class.
(c) Tom doesn't really know either.
(d) Tom shouts at the barman and has them both kicked out of the pub.
6. What is the name of the supermarket that Mary stole the baby from?
7. Who buys a large house in Gildsey for the newly married Tom and Mary?
(a) Harold Metcalf.
(b) Harry Crick.
(c) Dick Crick.
(d) Tom Crick.
8. While Martha locks herself in with Mary, she asks Tom to do what outside?
(a) Pray to the Virgin Mary.
(b) Chop firewood.
(c) Stand guard.
(d) Pluck a duck.
9. Why does Mary tell Dick that she is pregnant with Freddie Parr's child?
(a) She's being silly, but Dick doesn't understand that she is joking.
(b) She wants Dick to make Freddie leave her alone.
(c) She wants to end her love lessons with Dick.
(d) She tells Dick it isn't his child, sees his anger, and wants to protect Tom.
10. What does the letter reveal to Tom and Dick about Dick?
(a) That he is the heir to a vast fortune hidden in the Fens.
(b) That Ernest found Dick in the shrubs near a canal and Helen adopted him.
(c) That Dick is entitled to Ernest's seat in the British parliament.
(d) That he is the child of incest between Ernest and his daughter Helen.
11. Tom thinks Mary cannot overcome her insanity because...
(a) Brain chemistry is destiny.
(b) He does not love her enough.
(c) There is no cure for Alzheimer's.
(d) She keeps reliving the past.
12. What does Tom call the students?
(b) The future of the world.
(d) Brothers and sisters.
13. What is NOT a negative personality trait associated with phlegm, although it plays a pivotal role in some of the novel's most important turning points?
14. Tom Crick compares the end of a person's life to...
(a) A creeping darkness.
(b) A second childhood.
(c) Drowning in a sea of regrets.
(d) A jungle of tangled memories.
15. What is NOT a function of phlegm that Tom mentions in chapter 51?
Short Answer Questions
1. What sparks Tom Crick's interest in the mating habits of eels?
2. How does Tom react to finding the child Mary has stolen?
3. What is not one of the things Tom does in the evenings when he alone?
4. What are Mary and Tom waiting for the last time they lie together at the windmill?
5. How does Price feel about helping his drunk teacher Tom Crick once they are out on the street outside the pub?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)