|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mary tell Dick that she is pregnant with Freddie Parr's child?
(a) She's being silly, but Dick doesn't understand that she is joking.
(b) She wants Dick to make Freddie leave her alone.
(c) She tells Dick it isn't his child, sees his anger, and wants to protect Tom.
(d) She wants to end her love lessons with Dick.
2. What is the phrase Tom uses about who should not have to prop up whom?
(a) Rebels shouldn't have to prop up the tyrant.
(b) Teachers shouldn't have to prop up their student's future.
(c) The smart should not have to prop up the ignorant.
(d) Civilians shouldn't have to prop up the government.
3. Where does the old Mary Crick claim she got her child without being pregnant?
(a) She found it on the doorstep.
(b) From God.
(c) From her neighbor's son George.
(d) From the supermarket.
4. Who dies of the flu?
(a) Ernest Atkinson.
(b) Harry Crick.
(c) Helen Crick.
(d) Jack Parr.
5. What do the student chant at the headmaster while he is giving his speech?
(a) Fear is here!
(b) Give us Crick!
(c) Get lost, old man!
(d) History is dead!
6. Where did the stuffed pike come from?
(a) It was a wedding present for Dick and Helen Crick.
(b) Tom caught it and gave it to Dick for his birthday.
(c) Dick never tells anyone.
(d) Dick caught it.
7. What important phrase does Tom shout to Price just before they part?
(a) Don't become like I am!
(b) All I told you was lies!
(c) Don't forget me!
(d) Don't let them do it!
8. What is the way out everybody in Price's nightmare uses except for Price?
(a) The classroom window.
(b) Covering their ears.
(c) Suicide pills.
(d) Turning themselves into more black dogs.
9. Who turns out to be Ernest's other child?
(a) Dick Crick.
(b) Freddie Parr.
(c) Tom Crick.
(d) Mary Metcalf.
10. What is NOT one of the emblems of by-gone years that Tom includes in his list of memories he wants Mary to recall?
(a) Fireworks over the Fens.
(b) Two crossed ears of barley on ships' bows.
(c) Steam trains.
(d) Fairy tales.
11. Tom Crick compares the end of a person's life to...
(a) Drowning in a sea of regrets.
(b) A creeping darkness.
(c) A second childhood.
(d) A jungle of tangled memories.
12. What happens to Dick Crick when he hears the church bells ring?
(a) The sun shines on his face and he smiles.
(b) He sees the ghost of Sarah Atkinson next to him.
(c) He takes Mary's hand and dies.
(d) He hears his wife's voice in the sound of the bells.
13. Tom Crick compares history teachers to which fictional character?
(a) Baron Münchhausen with his tall tales.
(b) King Lear.
(c) Scheherazade from 1001 Nights.
(d) The Wife of Bath from Canterbury Tales.
14. What is the name of the supermarket that Mary stole the baby from?
15. Where does Tom Crick take Price to talk about Tom's forced retirement?
(a) A pub called The Duke's Head.
(b) Greenwich Park.
(c) The British Library in downtown London.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the catastrophe that hits Europe in January 1937?
2. What temperament does phlegm tend towards, as reflected in the mood of the landscape the novel is set in and in the mood of many of its major characters?
3. What does Price shout when Tom Crick stands up to give his farewell speech?
4. When Tom and Mary take the baby back to the car, Tom is afraid that the silent baby is what?
5. What do Tom and Mary hope will happen as they drive back to the supermarket to return the child?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)