Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Tom and Mary hope will happen as they drive back to the supermarket to return the child?
(a) That the mother will not have noticed that the child has gone.
(b) That the mother will let them keep the child.
(c) That the mother will have simply disappeared.
(d) That they can find the mother and return the child quietly.
2. What does Mary tell Tom that she does not tell the judge?
(a) That she had seen the mother pinch the child angrily.
(b) That she didn't really hear a voice from God telling her to take the child.
(c) That she had planned abducting the child for a long time.
(d) That the mother had told her to take the child.
3. While Martha locks herself in with Mary, she asks Tom to do what outside?
(a) Pluck a duck.
(b) Chop firewood.
(c) Pray to the Virgin Mary.
(d) Stand guard.
4. Which of the following is NOT in the chest Tom and Dick open in the attic?
(a) Eleven bottles of Coronation Ale.
(b) A portrait picture of their mother when she was young and beautiful.
(c) Four thick notebooks that are Ernest Atkinson's journals.
(d) A letter from Ernest Atkinson to Dick.
5. What is Mary doing at the windmill when Tom finds her?
(a) She is cutting herself with a razor blade.
(b) She is sleeping with Dick.
(c) She is talking to the wind as if it were a person.
(d) She jumps so she falls on her stomach to kill her unborn child.
6. How did Mary's father Harold Metcalf treat Tom's father Harry?
(a) Like a high and mighty squire treats a supplicant serf.
(b) Like a man treats his long-lost brother.
(c) Like a priest treats an unrepentent sinner.
(d) Like an angry father treats his daughter's murderer.
7. Where does Price accompany Tom before they part?
(a) The taxi stand.
(b) The gates of the school.
(c) The bus stop.
(d) All the way home.
8. How does Harry Crick find out that his son Dick is in love with Mary?
(a) He overhears Dick talking to himself about Mary.
(b) Mary's father, Harold Metcalf, asks him to keep Dick away from Mary.
(c) Dick angrily shouts at Tom to stay away from Mary.
(d) Dick asks how babies are made.
9. What is the reason Mary gives Tom for trying to seduce Dick in chapter 32?
(a) Her wish to make Tom jealous.
(b) Her curiosity.
(c) Her fear of Dick's anger.
(d) Her desire to make Dick feel less lonely.
10. Who turns out to be Ernest's other child?
(a) Freddie Parr.
(b) Mary Metcalf.
(c) Tom Crick.
(d) Dick Crick.
11. What is NOT a positive personality trait associated with phlegm, and one notably absent from most of the major characters of the novel?
12. What is NOT one of the synonyms for phlegm used in chapter 52?
(b) Viscous semi-fluid.
13. What is the mother's reaction to the Cricks when they return the baby?
(a) She pretends that the baby isn't hers.
(b) She assaults Mary and tries to scratch her eyes out.
(c) She shouts for the police to arrest them.
(d) She ignores them and only has eyes for the baby.
14. What it the brand of Dick's motorbike?
(d) Harley Davidson.
15. In Tom's mind, the headmaster thinks of the school as what, figuratively speaking?
(a) A kennel for wild dogs.
(b) A duck pond with a fence.
(c) An atomic bomb shelter.
(d) A swamp full of lost sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two fictional characters does Tom compare himself and Mary to as they walk the Fenland tracks to Martha Clay's cottage?
2. Why does Tom Crick apologize to Price outside the pub?
3. How old is Mary when she steals the baby?
4. What is the historical fact that Tom says "history scarcely finds time to mention"?
5. What is NOT one of the grotesque details Tom Crick lists to show that the French Revolution should better be remembered for its guillotines than for the festive spirit of the French on July 14th, when they "prefer fairy tales" about their history.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)