|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the old Mary Crick claim she got her child without being pregnant?
(a) She found it on the doorstep.
(b) From her neighbor's son George.
(c) From the supermarket.
(d) From God.
2. What does the letter reveal to Tom and Dick about Dick?
(a) That he is the child of incest between Ernest and his daughter Helen.
(b) That Ernest found Dick in the shrubs near a canal and Helen adopted him.
(c) That Dick is entitled to Ernest's seat in the British parliament.
(d) That he is the heir to a vast fortune hidden in the Fens.
3. Instead of living up to their ideals of freedom, brotherhood, and equality, Tom says the French revolutionaries turned straight to what?
(a) Destroying their own civilization.
(b) Mob rule and mass murder.
(c) Napoleon and his promises of glory and Empire.
(d) The radical capitalism of Adam Smith.
4. What is the mother's reaction to the Cricks when they return the baby?
(a) She assaults Mary and tries to scratch her eyes out.
(b) She shouts for the police to arrest them.
(c) She ignores them and only has eyes for the baby.
(d) She pretends that the baby isn't hers.
5. What does Tom think is a superstition people believed in "once upon a time"?
(b) That history matters.
(c) The goodness of human kind.
(d) The end of the world.
6. Tom thinks that progress leads...
(b) To forgetting.
(c) Back to where we started.
(d) To a brighter future.
7. Where does Tom go after he leaves Mary at the insane asylum?
(a) Price's parents' house.
(c) The Safeways supermarket.
(d) Greenwich Park.
8. What does Tom tell Dick about Mary's baby?
(a) That the baby is Dick's.
(b) That the baby was Harold Metcalf's.
(c) That it's Dick's fault the baby died.
(d) That the baby really was Freddie Parr's.
9. How does Harry Crick find out that his son Dick is in love with Mary?
(a) Dick asks how babies are made.
(b) He overhears Dick talking to himself about Mary.
(c) Mary's father, Harold Metcalf, asks him to keep Dick away from Mary.
(d) Dick angrily shouts at Tom to stay away from Mary.
10. What do the student chant at the headmaster while he is giving his speech?
(a) Get lost, old man!
(b) Fear is here!
(c) History is dead!
(d) Give us Crick!
11. What does Price shout when Tom Crick stands up to give his farewell speech?
(a) All teachers are fascists!
(b) History is dead!
(c) Shut up! Get out!
(d) No cuts! Keep Crick!
12. What reason does the headmaster give the students for Tom's retirement from the school?
(a) Personal reasons.
(b) Health reasons.
(c) Because Tom is a disgrace to the school.
(d) Because the history department will be cut.
13. When Harry Crick hears that Mary told her father that Tom is the father of her aborted child, what does he tell Tom they should do?
(a) Repent and confess to a priest.
(b) Get married.
(c) Never mention it again.
(d) Stay away from each other.
14. What does Mary tell Tom about the unborn child at the windmill?
(a) That the child is Freddie Parr's.
(b) That the child is Dick's after all.
(c) That the child has been dead for weeks.
(d) That the child his her father's.
15. While Harry Crick recovers from his ordeal, whom does Mary remind him of?
(a) Florence Nightingale.
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(c) Sarah Atkinson.
(d) His wife, Helen Atkinson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom Crick's response to Mary's claim that God speaks to her.
2. What is not one of the things Tom does in the evenings when he alone?
3. Where does Tom Crick take Price to talk about Tom's forced retirement?
4. What is the historical fact that Tom says "history scarcely finds time to mention"?
5. What is the feeling Tom has about leaving Mary at the insane asylum?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)