|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT in the chest Tom and Dick open in the attic?
(a) Four thick notebooks that are Ernest Atkinson's journals.
(b) A letter from Ernest Atkinson to Dick.
(c) Eleven bottles of Coronation Ale.
(d) A portrait picture of their mother when she was young and beautiful.
2. What sparks Tom Crick's interest in the mating habits of eels?
(a) His desire to show his own curiosity is as strong as Mary's.
(b) Mary asks him to look it up because she wants to use it as an example to teach Dick about sex.
(c) His memory of an eel in Mary's knickers and his need to take his mind off Mary being with Dick.
(d) Mary tells Tom if he can find out the truth about how eels mate, she'll stop her love lessons with Dick.
3. How does Tom react to finding the child Mary has stolen?
(a) He immediately calls the police.
(b) He shouts for help.
(c) He is too dumbfounded to react.
(d) He grabs it and they struggle.
4. Whom does Helen Crick ask to see when she is on her deathbed?
5. What does Tom tell Dick about Mary's baby?
(a) That it's Dick's fault the baby died.
(b) That the baby is Dick's.
(c) That the baby was Harold Metcalf's.
(d) That the baby really was Freddie Parr's.
6. What does Tom call the students?
(b) Brothers and sisters.
(c) The future of the world.
7. What is in the chest in the attic that Helen bestows upon Dick?
(a) Helen's antique jewelry.
(b) Several bottles of Coronation Ale.
(c) Helen's crucifix.
(d) The veil of Sarah Atkinson.
8. What is NOT one of the synonyms for phlegm used in chapter 52?
(a) Viscous semi-fluid.
9. According to ancient tradition, too much phlegm is best countered with large amounts of what substance that many characters in the novel use in large quantities?
10. When Tom and Mary take the baby back to the car, Tom is afraid that the silent baby is what?
(a) In a coma.
(b) Not real.
(c) Dead with shock.
(d) Suffering interior injuries.
11. What is the question Price asks Tom during their evening spent together that shakes Tom most deeply?
(a) Whether Tom has ever considered ending it all.
(b) Whether Tom isn't actually happy about having been fired.
(c) Whether Tom truly loves Mary.
(d) Whether Tom even would want to bring children into the world as it is.
12. How did Mary's father Harold Metcalf treat Tom's father Harry?
(a) Like a priest treats an unrepentent sinner.
(b) Like an angry father treats his daughter's murderer.
(c) Like a high and mighty squire treats a supplicant serf.
(d) Like a man treats his long-lost brother.
13. Who tells Harry Crick the truth about Freddie Parr and Dick?
(d) The ghost of Sarah Atkinson.
14. What is NOT a negative personality trait associated with phlegm, although it plays a pivotal role in some of the novel's most important turning points?
15. Where does Tom go after he leaves Mary at the insane asylum?
(a) The Safeways supermarket.
(b) Greenwich Park.
(c) Price's parents' house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martha Clay's pet?
2. What does Tom think is a superstition people believed in "once upon a time"?
3. Tom compares Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to what at the eve of the French Revolution?
4. What is the feeling Tom has about leaving Mary at the insane asylum?
5. What does the headmaster calls the students of the Holocaust Club?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)