|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to ancient tradition, too much phlegm is best countered with large amounts of what substance that many characters in the novel use in large quantities?
2. What is Dick's reaction to the revelation about his birth?
(a) He laughs, jumps up and down, and cries,
(b) He runs from the room, hides, and then drives off on his motorbike.
(c) He tries to kill Tom with one of the beer bottles.
(d) He shouts that he lu-lu-loves Tom.
3. Where does Price accompany Tom before they part?
(a) The gates of the school.
(b) The taxi stand.
(c) The bus stop.
(d) All the way home.
4. What does Tom think is a superstition people believed in "once upon a time"?
(b) The end of the world.
(c) The goodness of human kind.
(d) That history matters.
5. How old is Mary when she steals the baby?
6. What is the title Ernest Atkinson gives Dick in the letter?
(a) An expletive.
(b) Saviour of the World.
(c) Most Beloved Grandson.
(d) Earl of Gildsey.
7. What important phrase does Tom shout to Price just before they part?
(a) All I told you was lies!
(b) Don't forget me!
(c) Don't let them do it!
(d) Don't become like I am!
8. In chapter 32, what is the event that Dick cannot understand?
(a) His mother's death.
(b) Finding the bottle he used to kill Freddie.
(c) Freddie Parr's death.
(d) Mary's attempt to teach him about love.
9. What is NOT a function of phlegm that Tom mentions in chapter 51?
10. How does Harry Crick find out that his son Dick is in love with Mary?
(a) Dick asks how babies are made.
(b) Mary's father, Harold Metcalf, asks him to keep Dick away from Mary.
(c) Dick angrily shouts at Tom to stay away from Mary.
(d) He overhears Dick talking to himself about Mary.
11. Where does the old Mary Crick claim she got her child without being pregnant?
(a) From her neighbor's son George.
(b) From God.
(c) From the supermarket.
(d) She found it on the doorstep.
12. Who turns out to be Ernest's other child?
(a) Freddie Parr.
(b) Mary Metcalf.
(c) Dick Crick.
(d) Tom Crick.
13. What does Tom Crick say is the mission of a history teacher?
(a) To teach his students about mistakes.
(b) To make sure his students end up loving history.
(c) To motivate his students to be active citizens.
(d) To instill in his students a sense of destiny.
14. What is the reason Mary gives Tom for trying to seduce Dick in chapter 32?
(a) Her fear of Dick's anger.
(b) Her curiosity.
(c) Her wish to make Tom jealous.
(d) Her desire to make Dick feel less lonely.
15. What does Tom tell Dick about Mary's baby?
(a) That the baby really was Freddie Parr's.
(b) That it's Dick's fault the baby died.
(c) That the baby is Dick's.
(d) That the baby was Harold Metcalf's.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Tom's mind, the headmaster thinks of the school as what, figuratively speaking?
2. Tom Crick compares history teachers to which fictional character?
3. Price tells Tom Crick of his nightmare about:
4. What is NOT one of the synonyms for phlegm used in chapter 52?
5. Where does Tom Crick take Price to talk about Tom's forced retirement?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)