|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Harry Crick abandon his cottage by the Atkinson lock?
(a) He sees the ghost of Sarah Atkinson.
(b) The River Leem floods and destroys it.
(c) He takes a job in Gildsey as a janitor.
(d) He moves to a retirement home near Tom.
2. According to ancient tradition, too much phlegm is best countered with large amounts of what substance that many characters in the novel use in large quantities?
3. What is the mother's reaction to the Cricks when they return the baby?
(a) She shouts for the police to arrest them.
(b) She assaults Mary and tries to scratch her eyes out.
(c) She ignores them and only has eyes for the baby.
(d) She pretends that the baby isn't hers.
4. What does Tom Crick say is the mission of a history teacher?
(a) To motivate his students to be active citizens.
(b) To teach his students about mistakes.
(c) To instill in his students a sense of destiny.
(d) To make sure his students end up loving history.
5. Where does Price accompany Tom before they part?
(a) The taxi stand.
(b) The gates of the school.
(c) The bus stop.
(d) All the way home.
6. What does Tom tell Dick about Mary's baby?
(a) That it's Dick's fault the baby died.
(b) That the baby is Dick's.
(c) That the baby really was Freddie Parr's.
(d) That the baby was Harold Metcalf's.
7. Who tells Harry Crick the truth about Freddie Parr and Dick?
(c) The ghost of Sarah Atkinson.
8. Which two fictional characters does Tom compare himself and Mary to as they walk the Fenland tracks to Martha Clay's cottage?
(a) Hereward and Torfrida.
(b) Lancelot and Guinevere.
(c) Robin Hood and Maid Marian.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
9. How long does Harry Crick have to wait until he is rescued?
(a) A week.
(b) A night and a day.
(c) Not even ten minutes.
(d) Three days and nights.
10. What is in the chest in the attic that Helen bestows upon Dick?
(a) Helen's crucifix.
(b) Helen's antique jewelry.
(c) The veil of Sarah Atkinson.
(d) Several bottles of Coronation Ale.
11. What does Tom call the students?
(b) Brothers and sisters.
(c) The future of the world.
12. What is NOT a negative personality trait associated with phlegm, although it plays a pivotal role in some of the novel's most important turning points?
13. What does Tom think is a superstition people believed in "once upon a time"?
(b) The goodness of human kind.
(c) The end of the world.
(d) That history matters.
14. While Harry Crick recovers from his ordeal, whom does Mary remind him of?
(a) Florence Nightingale.
(b) His wife, Helen Atkinson.
(c) Sarah Atkinson.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
15. Where did the stuffed pike come from?
(a) Tom caught it and gave it to Dick for his birthday.
(b) Dick never tells anyone.
(c) Dick caught it.
(d) It was a wedding present for Dick and Helen Crick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the phrase Tom uses about who should not have to prop up whom?
2. What is Martha Clay's pet?
3. Who turns out to be Ernest's other child?
4. While Martha locks herself in with Mary, she asks Tom to do what outside?
5. What does Mary tell Tom that she does not tell the judge?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)