|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the mother's reaction to the Cricks when they return the baby?
(a) She assaults Mary and tries to scratch her eyes out.
(b) She shouts for the police to arrest them.
(c) She pretends that the baby isn't hers.
(d) She ignores them and only has eyes for the baby.
2. What does the letter reveal to Tom and Dick about Dick?
(a) That Dick is entitled to Ernest's seat in the British parliament.
(b) That he is the child of incest between Ernest and his daughter Helen.
(c) That he is the heir to a vast fortune hidden in the Fens.
(d) That Ernest found Dick in the shrubs near a canal and Helen adopted him.
3. Tom dislikes the pike because...
(a) Pikes are killers and scares him.
(b) The pike reminds him of Dick.
(c) The pike smells awful.
(d) Pikes were swarming around Freddie Parr's body.
4. Who buys a large house in Gildsey for the newly married Tom and Mary?
(a) Harry Crick.
(b) Harold Metcalf.
(c) Dick Crick.
(d) Tom Crick.
5. What does the headmaster calls the students of the Holocaust Club?
(a) Prophets of doom.
(b) Exemplary visionaries.
(c) Fear-mongering morons.
(d) Crick-loving losers.
6. What is in the chest in the attic that Helen bestows upon Dick?
(a) Helen's antique jewelry.
(b) Several bottles of Coronation Ale.
(c) Helen's crucifix.
(d) The veil of Sarah Atkinson.
7. How did Mary's father Harold Metcalf treat Tom's father Harry?
(a) Like a high and mighty squire treats a supplicant serf.
(b) Like a priest treats an unrepentent sinner.
(c) Like a man treats his long-lost brother.
(d) Like an angry father treats his daughter's murderer.
8. What is NOT a positive personality trait associated with phlegm, and one notably absent from most of the major characters of the novel?
9. What is the historical fact that Tom says "history scarcely finds time to mention"?
(a) That King Arthur was not English at all, but rather Welsh.
(b) That Marie Antoinette never said the phrase, "let them eat cake."
(c) That on the eve of the French Revolution Louis XVI mourned his firstborn.
(d) That 55,000 German civilians died in the fire bombing Hamburg by the Allies.
10. What important phrase does Tom shout to Price just before they part?
(a) All I told you was lies!
(b) Don't forget me!
(c) Don't become like I am!
(d) Don't let them do it!
11. How does Price feel about helping his drunk teacher Tom Crick once they are out on the street outside the pub?
12. What reason does the headmaster give the students for Tom's retirement from the school?
(a) Health reasons.
(b) Personal reasons.
(c) Because the history department will be cut.
(d) Because Tom is a disgrace to the school.
13. What does Mary fail to explain to Dick properly, with terrible consequences?
(a) That she is truly in love with Tom.
(b) That she is truly in love with Dick.
(c) That she is truly in love with Freddie.
(d) How children are actually made.
14. What is NOT a negative personality trait associated with phlegm, although it plays a pivotal role in some of the novel's most important turning points?
15. What is NOT one of the emblems of by-gone years that Tom includes in his list of memories he wants Mary to recall?
(a) Steam trains.
(b) Fireworks over the Fens.
(c) Two crossed ears of barley on ships' bows.
(d) Fairy tales.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Price shout when Tom Crick stands up to give his farewell speech?
2. What sparks Tom Crick's interest in the mating habits of eels?
3. What is the feeling Tom has about leaving Mary at the insane asylum?
4. Tom Crick compares the end of a person's life to...
5. What is NOT one of the grotesque details Tom Crick lists to show that the French Revolution should better be remembered for its guillotines than for the festive spirit of the French on July 14th, when they "prefer fairy tales" about their history.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)