|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT a negative personality trait associated with phlegm, although it plays a pivotal role in some of the novel's most important turning points?
2. Where does Tom Crick take Price to talk about Tom's forced retirement?
(a) The British Library in downtown London.
(c) A pub called The Duke's Head.
(d) Greenwich Park.
3. What is the way out everybody in Price's nightmare uses except for Price?
(a) The classroom window.
(b) Covering their ears.
(c) Turning themselves into more black dogs.
(d) Suicide pills.
4. Where does Tom go after he leaves Mary at the insane asylum?
(a) The Safeways supermarket.
(c) Price's parents' house.
(d) Greenwich Park.
5. What is NOT one of the emblems of by-gone years that Tom includes in his list of memories he wants Mary to recall?
(a) Two crossed ears of barley on ships' bows.
(b) Fairy tales.
(c) Fireworks over the Fens.
(d) Steam trains.
6. What is not one of the things Tom does in the evenings when he alone?
(a) Drink heavily.
(c) Grade papers.
(d) Smoke cigarettes.
7. What does Tom compare the execution of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to?
(a) Plucking a chicken.
(b) A circus attraction.
(c) Mary's abortion.
(d) A puppet show.
8. What is NOT one of the grotesque details Tom Crick lists to show that the French Revolution should better be remembered for its guillotines than for the festive spirit of the French on July 14th, when they "prefer fairy tales" about their history.
(a) Corpseless heads that rolled their eyes and screamed.
(b) Old women knitting at the scaffold.
(c) Headless corpses that flailed and kicked.
(d) Ravens picking at piles of corpses.
9. What is the reason Mary gives Tom for trying to seduce Dick in chapter 32?
(a) Her desire to make Dick feel less lonely.
(b) Her fear of Dick's anger.
(c) Her wish to make Tom jealous.
(d) Her curiosity.
10. Why does Mary tell Dick that she is pregnant with Freddie Parr's child?
(a) She's being silly, but Dick doesn't understand that she is joking.
(b) She tells Dick it isn't his child, sees his anger, and wants to protect Tom.
(c) She wants to end her love lessons with Dick.
(d) She wants Dick to make Freddie leave her alone.
11. What is the phrase Tom uses about who should not have to prop up whom?
(a) The smart should not have to prop up the ignorant.
(b) Civilians shouldn't have to prop up the government.
(c) Teachers shouldn't have to prop up their student's future.
(d) Rebels shouldn't have to prop up the tyrant.
12. What happens to Dick Crick when he hears the church bells ring?
(a) He sees the ghost of Sarah Atkinson next to him.
(b) He hears his wife's voice in the sound of the bells.
(c) He takes Mary's hand and dies.
(d) The sun shines on his face and he smiles.
13. What important phrase does Tom shout to Price just before they part?
(a) Don't become like I am!
(b) Don't forget me!
(c) Don't let them do it!
(d) All I told you was lies!
14. What is in the chest in the attic that Helen bestows upon Dick?
(a) Helen's antique jewelry.
(b) Helen's crucifix.
(c) The veil of Sarah Atkinson.
(d) Several bottles of Coronation Ale.
15. What do the student chant at the headmaster while he is giving his speech?
(a) Get lost, old man!
(b) Fear is here!
(c) History is dead!
(d) Give us Crick!
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of chapter 44, Tom Crick decides that what people really want to know isn't truth. What they really want is...
2. What is NOT a positive personality trait associated with phlegm, and one notably absent from most of the major characters of the novel?
3. What does the letter reveal to Tom and Dick about Dick?
4. Tom dislikes the pike because...
5. Tom Crick compares the end of a person's life to...
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)