|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary fail to explain to Dick properly, with terrible consequences?
(a) That she is truly in love with Tom.
(b) How children are actually made.
(c) That she is truly in love with Dick.
(d) That she is truly in love with Freddie.
2. What temperament does phlegm tend towards, as reflected in the mood of the landscape the novel is set in and in the mood of many of its major characters?
3. How long does Harry Crick have to wait until he is rescued?
(a) Three days and nights.
(b) A week.
(c) A night and a day.
(d) Not even ten minutes.
4. Where does Price accompany Tom before they part?
(a) The gates of the school.
(b) The bus stop.
(c) The taxi stand.
(d) All the way home.
5. What does Tom Crick say is the mission of a history teacher?
(a) To motivate his students to be active citizens.
(b) To instill in his students a sense of destiny.
(c) To make sure his students end up loving history.
(d) To teach his students about mistakes.
6. Tom thinks that progress leads...
(a) Back to where we started.
(b) To a brighter future.
(d) To forgetting.
7. What does Tom compare the execution of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to?
(a) A puppet show.
(b) Mary's abortion.
(c) Plucking a chicken.
(d) A circus attraction.
8. Where does the old Mary Crick claim she got her child without being pregnant?
(a) She found it on the doorstep.
(b) From God.
(c) From her neighbor's son George.
(d) From the supermarket.
9. What is the name of the Cricks' doctor?
(a) Dr. Bright.
(b) Dr. Atlee.
(c) Dr. Higginbotham.
(d) Dr. Fiddler.
10. Which two fictional characters does Tom compare himself and Mary to as they walk the Fenland tracks to Martha Clay's cottage?
(a) Hereward and Torfrida.
(b) Lancelot and Guinevere.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) Robin Hood and Maid Marian.
11. What does Mary stare at all day at the mental hospital?
(a) The playground children across the road.
(b) The ceiling of her room.
(c) A travel picture book of the Fens.
(d) A picture of Dick Crick.
12. What is the name of the student club that Price is part of?
(a) The Students For the Future Society.
(b) Concerned Students for Democratic Change.
(c) The Holocaust Club/Anti-Armageddon League.
(d) The Tom Crick Admirers Association.
13. Harry feels ridiculous in Tom's presence, because while Tom read history books Harry did what?
(a) Doted on Dick.
(b) Drunk himself to sleep.
(c) Talked to chickens.
(d) Hunted waterfowl.
14. In Tom's mind, the headmaster thinks of the school as what, figuratively speaking?
(a) A duck pond with a fence.
(b) A kennel for wild dogs.
(c) An atomic bomb shelter.
(d) A swamp full of lost sheep.
15. What is NOT a function of phlegm that Tom mentions in chapter 51?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what days does Tom stay at home at night because Dick spends the evenings out with Mary?
2. What is the historical fact that Tom says "history scarcely finds time to mention"?
3. While Harry Crick recovers from his ordeal, whom does Mary remind him of?
4. What is NOT one of the grotesque details Tom Crick lists to show that the French Revolution should better be remembered for its guillotines than for the festive spirit of the French on July 14th, when they "prefer fairy tales" about their history.
5. How did Mary's father Harold Metcalf treat Tom's father Harry?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)