|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tom Crick's response to Mary's claim that God speaks to her.
(a) God is imaginary.
(b) God never spoke to anyone.
(c) God does not speak anymore.
(d) God does not exist.
2. What does Tom call the students?
(b) Brothers and sisters.
(c) The future of the world.
3. Price tells Tom Crick of his nightmare about:
(a) A black dog outside his window.
(b) A wailing woman in a supermarket.
(c) Tom Crick dying on the last day of class.
(d) A nuclear holocaust.
4. What it the brand of Dick's motorbike?
(d) Harley Davidson.
5. What does Dick hide in the mouth of a stuffed pike?
(a) The shards of the murder weapon.
(b) The key to his mother's chest in the attic.
(c) A note Mary gives him.
(d) A picture of his mother and Tom as an infant.
6. Tom Crick compares the end of a person's life to...
(a) A creeping darkness.
(b) A jungle of tangled memories.
(c) Drowning in a sea of regrets.
(d) A second childhood.
7. What sparks Tom Crick's interest in the mating habits of eels?
(a) His memory of an eel in Mary's knickers and his need to take his mind off Mary being with Dick.
(b) Mary asks him to look it up because she wants to use it as an example to teach Dick about sex.
(c) Mary tells Tom if he can find out the truth about how eels mate, she'll stop her love lessons with Dick.
(d) His desire to show his own curiosity is as strong as Mary's.
8. In chapter 32, what is the event that Dick cannot understand?
(a) Freddie Parr's death.
(b) Finding the bottle he used to kill Freddie.
(c) His mother's death.
(d) Mary's attempt to teach him about love.
9. What is not one of the things Tom does in the evenings when he alone?
(a) Grade papers.
(c) Smoke cigarettes.
(d) Drink heavily.
10. What does Mary stare at all day at the mental hospital?
(a) The playground children across the road.
(b) A travel picture book of the Fens.
(c) The ceiling of her room.
(d) A picture of Dick Crick.
11. What is the image Tom uses to describe his idea of progress?
(a) Dick on a motorcycle
(b) Reclaiming land
(c) An eel
(d) The guillotine
12. Where does Tom go after he leaves Mary at the insane asylum?
(b) Greenwich Park.
(c) Price's parents' house.
(d) The Safeways supermarket.
13. What is NOT one of the grotesque details Tom Crick lists to show that the French Revolution should better be remembered for its guillotines than for the festive spirit of the French on July 14th, when they "prefer fairy tales" about their history.
(a) Headless corpses that flailed and kicked.
(b) Corpseless heads that rolled their eyes and screamed.
(c) Old women knitting at the scaffold.
(d) Ravens picking at piles of corpses.
14. What is the name of the Cricks' golden retriever?
15. What is the way out everybody in Price's nightmare uses except for Price?
(a) The classroom window.
(b) Turning themselves into more black dogs.
(c) Covering their ears.
(d) Suicide pills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT a positive personality trait associated with phlegm, and one notably absent from most of the major characters of the novel?
2. Instead of living up to their ideals of freedom, brotherhood, and equality, Tom says the French revolutionaries turned straight to what?
3. On what days does Tom stay at home at night because Dick spends the evenings out with Mary?
4. What important phrase does Tom shout to Price just before they part?
5. What temperament does phlegm tend towards, as reflected in the mood of the landscape the novel is set in and in the mood of many of its major characters?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)