|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of chapter 44, Tom Crick decides that what people really want to know isn't truth. What they really want is...
(b) An excuse to hate.
(c) To laugh at someone.
(d) To know that they're right.
2. How old is Mary when she steals the baby?
3. Who tells Harry Crick the truth about Freddie Parr and Dick?
(d) The ghost of Sarah Atkinson.
4. What is the reason Mary gives Tom for trying to seduce Dick in chapter 32?
(a) Her curiosity.
(b) Her fear of Dick's anger.
(c) Her wish to make Tom jealous.
(d) Her desire to make Dick feel less lonely.
5. What is the image Tom uses to describe his idea of progress?
(a) Dick on a motorcycle
(b) An eel
(c) The guillotine
(d) Reclaiming land
6. What is in the chest in the attic that Helen bestows upon Dick?
(a) Helen's antique jewelry.
(b) Several bottles of Coronation Ale.
(c) Helen's crucifix.
(d) The veil of Sarah Atkinson.
7. How does Tom react to finding the child Mary has stolen?
(a) He is too dumbfounded to react.
(b) He shouts for help.
(c) He immediately calls the police.
(d) He grabs it and they struggle.
8. What is NOT one of the emblems of by-gone years that Tom includes in his list of memories he wants Mary to recall?
(a) Steam trains.
(b) Two crossed ears of barley on ships' bows.
(c) Fairy tales.
(d) Fireworks over the Fens.
9. Who buys a large house in Gildsey for the newly married Tom and Mary?
(a) Harry Crick.
(b) Dick Crick.
(c) Tom Crick.
(d) Harold Metcalf.
10. Why does Mary tell Dick that she is pregnant with Freddie Parr's child?
(a) She wants to end her love lessons with Dick.
(b) She tells Dick it isn't his child, sees his anger, and wants to protect Tom.
(c) She's being silly, but Dick doesn't understand that she is joking.
(d) She wants Dick to make Freddie leave her alone.
11. What sparks Tom Crick's interest in the mating habits of eels?
(a) Mary tells Tom if he can find out the truth about how eels mate, she'll stop her love lessons with Dick.
(b) His desire to show his own curiosity is as strong as Mary's.
(c) Mary asks him to look it up because she wants to use it as an example to teach Dick about sex.
(d) His memory of an eel in Mary's knickers and his need to take his mind off Mary being with Dick.
12. Tom dislikes the pike because...
(a) The pike smells awful.
(b) Pikes were swarming around Freddie Parr's body.
(c) The pike reminds him of Dick.
(d) Pikes are killers and scares him.
13. Where does the old Mary Crick claim she got her child without being pregnant?
(a) From God.
(b) From the supermarket.
(c) From her neighbor's son George.
(d) She found it on the doorstep.
14. Price tells Tom Crick of his nightmare about:
(a) A black dog outside his window.
(b) Tom Crick dying on the last day of class.
(c) A nuclear holocaust.
(d) A wailing woman in a supermarket.
15. What is the name of the Cricks' golden retriever?
Short Answer Questions
1. What temperament does phlegm tend towards, as reflected in the mood of the landscape the novel is set in and in the mood of many of its major characters?
2. What does the headmaster calls the students of the Holocaust Club?
3. What is the question Price asks Tom during their evening spent together that shakes Tom most deeply?
4. In chapter 32, what is the event that Dick cannot understand?
5. Where does Tom go after he leaves Mary at the insane asylum?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)