|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT one of the synonyms for phlegm used in chapter 52?
(b) Viscous semi-fluid.
2. How does Price feel about helping his drunk teacher Tom Crick once they are out on the street outside the pub?
3. Instead of living up to their ideals of freedom, brotherhood, and equality, Tom says the French revolutionaries turned straight to what?
(a) The radical capitalism of Adam Smith.
(b) Destroying their own civilization.
(c) Mob rule and mass murder.
(d) Napoleon and his promises of glory and Empire.
4. Tom dislikes the pike because...
(a) Pikes are killers and scares him.
(b) Pikes were swarming around Freddie Parr's body.
(c) The pike reminds him of Dick.
(d) The pike smells awful.
5. What is NOT a function of phlegm that Tom mentions in chapter 51?
6. Which two fictional characters does Tom compare himself and Mary to as they walk the Fenland tracks to Martha Clay's cottage?
(a) Robin Hood and Maid Marian.
(b) Lancelot and Guinevere.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) Hereward and Torfrida.
7. Who buys a large house in Gildsey for the newly married Tom and Mary?
(a) Dick Crick.
(b) Harold Metcalf.
(c) Tom Crick.
(d) Harry Crick.
8. Why does Harry Crick abandon his cottage by the Atkinson lock?
(a) He takes a job in Gildsey as a janitor.
(b) The River Leem floods and destroys it.
(c) He moves to a retirement home near Tom.
(d) He sees the ghost of Sarah Atkinson.
9. What to Tom and Mary ask Martha to help them with?
(a) Finding a key to Dick's chest.
(b) Poison for Dick.
(c) An abortion for Mary.
(d) A way to save Mary's baby.
10. How does Tom react to finding the child Mary has stolen?
(a) He shouts for help.
(b) He immediately calls the police.
(c) He is too dumbfounded to react.
(d) He grabs it and they struggle.
11. What is the name of the Cricks' golden retriever?
12. Tom compares Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to what at the eve of the French Revolution?
(a) Two scared rabbits trapped in a hole.
(b) Him and Mary.
(c) The French people's father and wicked step-mother.
(d) Adam and Eve on the day the serpent came.
13. Which of the following is NOT in the chest Tom and Dick open in the attic?
(a) A portrait picture of their mother when she was young and beautiful.
(b) Four thick notebooks that are Ernest Atkinson's journals.
(c) A letter from Ernest Atkinson to Dick.
(d) Eleven bottles of Coronation Ale.
14. Why does Tom Crick apologize to Price outside the pub?
(a) Tom doesn't really know either.
(b) Tom shouts at the barman and has them both kicked out of the pub.
(c) Tom thinks he wasted the students' time in his history class.
(d) Tom promised Price a lift but now is too drunk to drive.
15. What is the reason Mary gives Tom for trying to seduce Dick in chapter 32?
(a) Her wish to make Tom jealous.
(b) Her desire to make Dick feel less lonely.
(c) Her curiosity.
(d) Her fear of Dick's anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harry Crick find out that his son Dick is in love with Mary?
2. What is the title Ernest Atkinson gives Dick in the letter?
3. What is NOT a negative personality trait associated with phlegm, although it plays a pivotal role in some of the novel's most important turning points?
4. What is in the chest in the attic that Helen bestows upon Dick?
5. What is the name of the student club that Price is part of?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)