|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the way out everybody in Price's nightmare uses except for Price?
(a) Covering their ears.
(b) The classroom window.
(c) Suicide pills.
(d) Turning themselves into more black dogs.
2. Whom does Helen Crick ask to see when she is on her deathbed?
3. What is the name of the Cricks' doctor?
(a) Dr. Bright.
(b) Dr. Higginbotham.
(c) Dr. Atlee.
(d) Dr. Fiddler.
4. On what days does Tom stay at home at night because Dick spends the evenings out with Mary?
(a) Tuesday and Friday.
(b) Wednesday and Sunday.
(c) Wednesday and Saturday.
(d) Monday and Thursday.
5. Price tells Tom Crick of his nightmare about:
(a) A black dog outside his window.
(b) A wailing woman in a supermarket.
(c) A nuclear holocaust.
(d) Tom Crick dying on the last day of class.
6. What it the brand of Dick's motorbike?
(d) Harley Davidson.
7. Which of the following is NOT in the chest Tom and Dick open in the attic?
(a) A portrait picture of their mother when she was young and beautiful.
(b) Eleven bottles of Coronation Ale.
(c) Four thick notebooks that are Ernest Atkinson's journals.
(d) A letter from Ernest Atkinson to Dick.
8. What does Dick hide in the mouth of a stuffed pike?
(a) A note Mary gives him.
(b) The key to his mother's chest in the attic.
(c) The shards of the murder weapon.
(d) A picture of his mother and Tom as an infant.
9. What does Mary tell Tom about the unborn child at the windmill?
(a) That the child his her father's.
(b) That the child is Dick's after all.
(c) That the child has been dead for weeks.
(d) That the child is Freddie Parr's.
10. What is the catastrophe that hits Europe in January 1937?
(a) A series of catastrophic floods.
(b) A record cold winter.
(c) Word War II begins.
(d) A flu epidemic.
11. How does Price feel about helping his drunk teacher Tom Crick once they are out on the street outside the pub?
12. Tom Crick compares the end of a person's life to...
(a) Drowning in a sea of regrets.
(b) A jungle of tangled memories.
(c) A second childhood.
(d) A creeping darkness.
13. Tom Crick compares history teachers to which fictional character?
(a) Baron Münchhausen with his tall tales.
(b) The Wife of Bath from Canterbury Tales.
(c) Scheherazade from 1001 Nights.
(d) King Lear.
14. While Martha locks herself in with Mary, she asks Tom to do what outside?
(a) Chop firewood.
(b) Stand guard.
(c) Pluck a duck.
(d) Pray to the Virgin Mary.
15. What is Martha Clay's pet?
(a) An angry dog.
(b) A black cat.
(c) A talking raven.
(d) A ferret.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom compare the execution of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to?
2. Where does Tom go after he leaves Mary at the insane asylum?
3. Harry feels ridiculous in Tom's presence, because while Tom read history books Harry did what?
4. Who tells Harry Crick the truth about Freddie Parr and Dick?
5. In Tom's mind, the headmaster thinks of the school as what, figuratively speaking?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)