|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT a function of phlegm that Tom mentions in chapter 51?
2. Where does Price accompany Tom before they part?
(a) All the way home.
(b) The gates of the school.
(c) The taxi stand.
(d) The bus stop.
3. What is the historical fact that Tom says "history scarcely finds time to mention"?
(a) That on the eve of the French Revolution Louis XVI mourned his firstborn.
(b) That King Arthur was not English at all, but rather Welsh.
(c) That 55,000 German civilians died in the fire bombing Hamburg by the Allies.
(d) That Marie Antoinette never said the phrase, "let them eat cake."
4. What is the image Tom uses to describe his idea of progress?
(a) Dick on a motorcycle
(b) The guillotine
(c) An eel
(d) Reclaiming land
5. What is not one of the things Tom does in the evenings when he alone?
(a) Drink heavily.
(c) Grade papers.
(d) Smoke cigarettes.
6. While Harry Crick recovers from his ordeal, whom does Mary remind him of?
(a) His wife, Helen Atkinson.
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(c) Florence Nightingale.
(d) Sarah Atkinson.
7. What does Price shout when Tom Crick stands up to give his farewell speech?
(a) No cuts! Keep Crick!
(b) History is dead!
(c) Shut up! Get out!
(d) All teachers are fascists!
8. What does Tom compare the execution of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to?
(a) A puppet show.
(b) Mary's abortion.
(c) Plucking a chicken.
(d) A circus attraction.
9. Where does Tom go after he leaves Mary at the insane asylum?
(a) The Safeways supermarket.
(c) Greenwich Park.
(d) Price's parents' house.
10. What is Mary doing at the windmill when Tom finds her?
(a) She is sleeping with Dick.
(b) She jumps so she falls on her stomach to kill her unborn child.
(c) She is cutting herself with a razor blade.
(d) She is talking to the wind as if it were a person.
11. In chapter 32, what is the event that Dick cannot understand?
(a) His mother's death.
(b) Freddie Parr's death.
(c) Finding the bottle he used to kill Freddie.
(d) Mary's attempt to teach him about love.
12. What does the letter reveal to Tom and Dick about Dick?
(a) That he is the heir to a vast fortune hidden in the Fens.
(b) That Ernest found Dick in the shrubs near a canal and Helen adopted him.
(c) That Dick is entitled to Ernest's seat in the British parliament.
(d) That he is the child of incest between Ernest and his daughter Helen.
13. Tom dislikes the pike because...
(a) Pikes are killers and scares him.
(b) The pike reminds him of Dick.
(c) Pikes were swarming around Freddie Parr's body.
(d) The pike smells awful.
14. Where does the old Mary Crick claim she got her child without being pregnant?
(a) From the supermarket.
(b) From her neighbor's son George.
(c) From God.
(d) She found it on the doorstep.
15. What does Tom call the students?
(b) Brothers and sisters.
(c) The future of the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom compares Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to what at the eve of the French Revolution?
2. What sparks Tom Crick's interest in the mating habits of eels?
3. What is NOT one of the synonyms for phlegm used in chapter 52?
4. What is Martha Clay's pet?
5. What is the name of the Cricks' golden retriever?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)