|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Freddie Parr's father, Jack Parr, infamous for in the Gildsey area?
(a) His habit of stealing livestock off the river barges.
(b) His tendency to get into fights with the local barman.
(c) His heckling of young women who worked in the fields.
(d) His ability to smuggle liquor out of an American military base nearby.
2. What is the worst thing Tom Crick can imagine?
(a) Mary stops loving him.
(b) Humans forget their own history.
(c) Nuclear weapons destroy the earth.
(d) Humans stop being curious.
3. What does Tom notice for the first time when Mary struggles with Freddie Parr's prank?
(a) That Freddie Parr is a drunkard.
(b) That Terry Coe is afraid of eels.
(c) That Dick is interested in Mary and that Mary is interested in Dick.
(d) That Mary is ticklish.
4. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
(a) Tom Crick has stopped teaching the syllabus.
(b) The headmaster does not like Tom Crick.
(c) History will be eliminated from the curriculum.
(d) All of the above.
5. Who hunted in Greenwich Park, where Tom and Mary sit in the evenings with their dog?
(a) Queen Anne.
(b) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(c) The Duke of Wellington.
(d) King Henry VIII.
6. How did Tom's parents meet?
(a) His father heard her shouting one day because she'd sprained an ankle and rescued her.
(b) His father was recovering from World War I in a mental asylum where his mother was a nurse.
(c) His father delivered a crate of eels to the house where Tom's mother lived.
(d) His father came home as a war hero and his mother was the prettiest girl at the parade.
7. What does Ernest Atkinson's maid Jane Shaw think she saw in the old Atkinson townhouse as the brewery was burning?
(a) The ghost of Sarah Atkinson, shouting.
(b) Helen Atkinson laughing as she watches the brewery collapse from her window.
(c) A black cat with its tail on fire.
(d) Ernest Atkinson packing cans of leftover lighting fluid into a satchel.
8. Which of the following is NOT a theory that biologists have put forward about how eels reproduce?
(a) Eels form out of small parasites that begin their lives in the belly of larger fish.
(b) Eels are sexless and a born spontaneously out of the mud.
(c) Eels create offspring by rubbing against rocks; the young form the shreds of skin that come off.
(d) Eels fertilize their eggs internally and bring forth live young.
9. Whom does Tom Crick quote as saying, "we cannot step into the same river twice?"
(a) Dionysius the Areopagite.
(d) Heraclitus of Ephesus.
10. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
(a) He sells the Water Transport Company.
(b) He closes the Atkinson brewery.
(c) He takes a ruinous Grand Tour of Europe.
(d) He sells Kessling Hall, their estate.
11. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
(a) The docks of East London.
(b) The Fens in eastern England.
(c) The Lake District in northern England.
(d) The coastline of Cornwall.
12. What is Henry Crick's occupation?
(a) Lock keeper at the Atkinson Lock.
(b) Barge captain on the River Ouse.
(c) Brewmaster at the Atkinson Brewery.
(d) History teacher.
13. What is the main fish that the Cricks and their neighbors catch for food?
14. Where does Tom put the bottle that he found drifting in the water after Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Out by the road, where he hopes the police constable will see it.
(b) He ties it to the tail pipe of Dick's motorbike.
(c) He accidentally leaves it on the kitchen table.
(d) In Dick's room, where Dick would see it.
15. What does Freddie Parr do to Mary as revenge for setting him up to lose the competition because she knew he couldn't swim?
(a) He slips a large eel into her knickers.
(b) He holds her under water until she nearly drowns.
(c) He steals all her clothes and forces her to walk home naked.
(d) He rolls her in wet mud until she is totally covered by it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
2. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
3. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
4. What does Ernest Atkinson convert his manor Kessling Hall into?
5. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)