|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
(b) They invent the steam engine.
(c) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
(d) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
2. What is Henry Crick's occupation?
(a) History teacher.
(b) Barge captain on the River Ouse.
(c) Brewmaster at the Atkinson Brewery.
(d) Lock keeper at the Atkinson Lock.
3. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Mary.
(b) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
(c) St. Julian of Norwich.
(d) St. Gunnhilda.
4. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
5. During the festivities for the newly crowned King George V, the New Atkinson Brewery is destroyed. How?
(a) An overexcited mob looking for more ale.
(b) An accidental explosion in the boiler room.
(c) A delivery truck rams one of the main pillars and collapses the building.
(d) A fire nobody can explain.
6. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
(a) He closes the Atkinson brewery.
(b) He takes a ruinous Grand Tour of Europe.
(c) He sells the Water Transport Company.
(d) He sells Kessling Hall, their estate.
7. What does Ernest Atkinson's maid Jane Shaw think she saw in the old Atkinson townhouse as the brewery was burning?
(a) Helen Atkinson laughing as she watches the brewery collapse from her window.
(b) The ghost of Sarah Atkinson, shouting.
(c) Ernest Atkinson packing cans of leftover lighting fluid into a satchel.
(d) A black cat with its tail on fire.
8. What does Tom notice for the first time when Mary struggles with Freddie Parr's prank?
(a) That Mary is ticklish.
(b) That Dick is interested in Mary and that Mary is interested in Dick.
(c) That Freddie Parr is a drunkard.
(d) That Terry Coe is afraid of eels.
9. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
(a) A metal ball from a slingshot Tom has seen Jack Parr use to kill birds.
(b) A cricket bat with an odd indentation and a label that reads F.P.
(c) A beer bottle from the defunct Atkinson brewery.
(d) A wrench Dick uses to fix his motorbike.
10. Henry Crick, Tom's father, is obsessed with one question about Freddie's death that he repeats over and over again. What is it?
(a) How did Freddie die?
(b) Who killed Freddie?
(c) Could he have saved Freddie?
(d) Why did Freddie have to die?
11. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
(a) The headmaster does not like Tom Crick.
(b) Tom Crick has stopped teaching the syllabus.
(c) History will be eliminated from the curriculum.
(d) All of the above.
12. Johannes Schmidt, whose theory about eels and their mating habits is considered the most accurate one, thought that eels mate where?
(a) In river springs.
(b) The Sargasso Sea.
(c) The Gulf of Mexico.
(d) The Arctic Ocean.
13. What World War I battle was Tom's father injured in and saw his brother killed in earlier in the day?
14. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
15. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
(a) The Ouse.
(b) The Tyne.
(c) The Cam.
(d) The Thames.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the lesson about history that Tom Crick draws from the study of eel mating behavior?
2. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
3. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
4. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
5. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)