|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tells Tom that he and Mary must finish their argument quickly because the park is about to close?
(a) The sunset glistening on the duck pond.
(b) The steady stream of dog owners towards the park gates.
(c) The park-keeper's bell.
(d) The gruff voice of the park warden asking others to leave.
2. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
(a) He bathes in a public fountain with some of his Cambridge classmates.
(b) He get engaged to a poor journalist's daughter without his parents' permission.
(c) He proclaims that he believes Sarah Atkinson's ghost haunts his bedroom.
(d) He closes the Atkinson brewery and begins selling soda instead.
3. What does Tom Crick's new-coined term "histrionics" refer to?
(a) Being hysterically enthusiastic about something.
(b) Changing history through technology.
(c) The combined study of history and economics.
(d) Throwing an angry fit because what has happened is history and cannot be changed.
4. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
(a) He takes a ruinous Grand Tour of Europe.
(b) He closes the Atkinson brewery.
(c) He sells the Water Transport Company.
(d) He sells Kessling Hall, their estate.
5. What about the scene at the Lode does NOT remind Tom of the later scene of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) A bottle drifting in the water.
(b) Freddie Parr in the water.
(c) Dick standing on the wooden bridge.
(d) A boat-hook lying on the riverbank.
6. How does Freddie Parr's father Jack react to the ruling by the court that Freddie's death was an accident?
(a) He curses the judge and accuses Tom Crick of killing Freddie.
(b) He walks out of the court room and is never seen again.
(c) He has a heart attack in the court room and dies on the spot.
(d) He goes to sit on the train tracks to commit suicide, but no train appears.
7. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
(a) 99 years.
(b) 37 years.
(c) 92 years.
(d) 68 years.
8. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Julian of Norwich.
(b) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
(c) St. Gunnhilda.
(d) St. Mary.
9. What secret does Tom reveal to his students about Lewis Scott, the headmaster of the school?
(a) The headmaster is having an affair with his secretary, Miss Plum.
(b) The headmaster cheated to receive his university degree.
(c) The headmaster was once arrested for cross-dressing.
(d) The headmaster keeps whisky bottles in his filing cabinet.
10. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
(a) Animals don't kill each other out of jealousy.
(b) Humans can plan for the future.
(c) Humans have the ability to forgive each other.
(d) Humans tell each other stories.
11. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
12. Where do the Cricks find the body of Freddie Parr?
(a) Sprawled in shrubbery by the side of the Ouse River Road.
(b) Hung from the rafters in the Cricks' barn.
(c) Drifting along the canal at the Atkinson Lock.
(d) Slumped over the table at Jack Parr's house.
13. What did Johannes Schmidt conclude about the difference between the European eel and the American eel?
(a) The American eel has a shorter lifespan.
(b) The American eel eats its young, whereas the European eel does not.
(c) There is no difference, genetically.
(d) The European eel has far more offspring.
14. After Freddie's death, Mary reacts in a drastic way. What does she do?
(a) She strangles Tom's favorite kitten.
(b) She runs away to London.
(c) She locks herself into her father's house for three years.
(d) She attempts to commit suicide by drowning herself.
15. What is Tom Crick's response to this revelation?
(a) He begins to be afraid of Dick.
(b) He reads history books when Dick is out wooing Mary.
(c) He turns Freddie Parr in to the police constable.
(d) He starts flirting intensely with Mary to outdo all the other boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
2. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
3. What is one of the books Tom Crick reads that he finds in the trove of books collected by his great-aunts Louisa and Dora?
4. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
5. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)