|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freddie Parr do to Mary as revenge for setting him up to lose the competition because she knew he couldn't swim?
(a) He slips a large eel into her knickers.
(b) He holds her under water until she nearly drowns.
(c) He rolls her in wet mud until she is totally covered by it.
(d) He steals all her clothes and forces her to walk home naked.
2. What is it that Tom decides he must find at all cost?
(a) A way to expose Dick as Freddie's murderer.
(b) A full bottle of Coronation Ale.
(c) His grandfather's diary.
(d) A key to his mother's chest in the attic.
3. How does Freddie Parr's father Jack react to the ruling by the court that Freddie's death was an accident?
(a) He goes to sit on the train tracks to commit suicide, but no train appears.
(b) He curses the judge and accuses Tom Crick of killing Freddie.
(c) He has a heart attack in the court room and dies on the spot.
(d) He walks out of the court room and is never seen again.
4. What is the name of the ale Ernest Atkinson brews that seems to cause the end of any respect for him in Gildsey because it is too good?
(a) Gildsey Flood Ale.
(b) Helen Atkinson Ale.
(c) Diamond Jubilee Ale.
(d) Coronation Ale.
5. What is the worst thing Tom Crick can imagine?
(a) Humans stop being curious.
(b) Humans forget their own history.
(c) Mary stops loving him.
(d) Nuclear weapons destroy the earth.
6. Tom confronts Price about his frequent interruptions during class. What question does Price's reluctance about history boil down to?
(a) Is history not just a collection of stories that keeps the powerful in power?
(b) How can anyone know what really happened?
(c) Does knowing history help change anything?
(d) How many more history lessons will he have to sit through?
7. What World War I battle was Tom's father injured in and saw his brother killed in earlier in the day?
8. Which boy is most aggressive about asking the two girls to take their clothes off?
(a) Tom Crick.
(b) Peter Baine.
(c) Dick Crick.
(d) Freddie Parr.
9. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
(a) The Grim Hound of Gargoyle Hall.
(b) The Monk of Sudchurch.
(c) The Singing Swans of Wash Fen Mere.
(d) The Headless Ferryman of Staithe.
10. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
11. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie had been hit on the head with a bottle.
(b) Freddie had committed suicide.
(c) Freddie had been robbed and drowned by thugs.
(d) Freddie was drunk, fell in the water, and could not swim.
12. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
13. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
(b) Tom Crick.
(c) Mary Crick.
(d) Lewis Scott.
14. How did Tom's parents meet?
(a) His father came home as a war hero and his mother was the prettiest girl at the parade.
(b) His father was recovering from World War I in a mental asylum where his mother was a nurse.
(c) His father heard her shouting one day because she'd sprained an ankle and rescued her.
(d) His father delivered a crate of eels to the house where Tom's mother lived.
15. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
(a) The French Revolution of 1789.
(b) The Sarajevo Assassination of 1914.
(c) The Fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
(d) The Norman Invasion of 1066.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom Crick's response to this revelation?
2. What does Ernest Atkinson convert his manor Kessling Hall into?
3. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
4. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
5. Whom does Tom Crick quote as saying, "we cannot step into the same river twice?"
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)