|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
(b) They invent the steam engine.
(c) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
(d) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
2. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
(a) Placed in parentheses.
(b) In place of the parents.
(c) According to the logic of the parents.
(d) Because of parental insanity.
3. What is one of the books Tom Crick reads that he finds in the trove of books collected by his great-aunts Louisa and Dora?
(a) A Tale of Two Cities.
(b) Hereward the Wake.
(c) King Arthur and His Noble Knights.
(d) The Last of the Mohicans.
4. Which boy is most aggressive about asking the two girls to take their clothes off?
(a) Peter Baine.
(b) Tom Crick.
(c) Freddie Parr.
(d) Dick Crick.
5. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
(b) Mary Crick.
(c) Lewis Scott.
(d) Tom Crick.
6. How does Freddie Parr's father Jack react to the ruling by the court that Freddie's death was an accident?
(a) He curses the judge and accuses Tom Crick of killing Freddie.
(b) He has a heart attack in the court room and dies on the spot.
(c) He goes to sit on the train tracks to commit suicide, but no train appears.
(d) He walks out of the court room and is never seen again.
7. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
(a) They both have odd older brothers.
(b) They both escape to the ruined windmill together in the afternoons.
(c) They both grew up without a mother.
(d) They both take the same train to school every day.
8. What secret does Tom reveal to his students about Lewis Scott, the headmaster of the school?
(a) The headmaster was once arrested for cross-dressing.
(b) The headmaster cheated to receive his university degree.
(c) The headmaster keeps whisky bottles in his filing cabinet.
(d) The headmaster is having an affair with his secretary, Miss Plum.
9. What is Ernest Atkinson's reaction to the fire?
(a) He frantically alerts the fire brigade, but they are too drunk to help.
(b) He shows no reaction and drives off to his country estate.
(c) He sings loudly with the other revelers as the brewery collapses.
(d) He weeps openly on front of the entire town.
10. Which part of London does the couple move to once they are married and Tom takes a job as a history teacher?
(d) Notting Hill.
11. Whom does Tom Crick quote as saying, "we cannot step into the same river twice?"
(b) Dionysius the Areopagite.
(c) Heraclitus of Ephesus.
12. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
(a) He tears up lumps of grass and angrily throws them around.
(b) He laughs uncontrollably.
(c) He says nothing and watches Mary run off into the night.
(d) He slaps Mary and shouts,
13. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
(a) She began to scream at odd times of the night.
(b) She has developed Alzheimer's disease.
(c) Tom Crick hit her over the head and she lost her mind.
(d) She stole a baby from a stroller in a supermarket.
14. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
(a) The Grim Hound of Gargoyle Hall.
(b) The Headless Ferryman of Staithe.
(c) The Singing Swans of Wash Fen Mere.
(d) The Monk of Sudchurch.
15. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
(b) Their neighbor's son George.
(c) His brother Dick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tom put the bottle that he found drifting in the water after Freddie Parr's death?
2. Henry Crick, Tom's father, is obsessed with one question about Freddie's death that he repeats over and over again. What is it?
3. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
4. Why does Tom Crick decide to study the history of the Fens?
5. The effects of Ernest's special ale caused all of the following EXCEPT:
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)