|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dick do when he finds the bottle?
(a) He threatens Tom not to tell anyone about it or he will hurt Tom.
(b) He ties it to the handle of his motorbike with a piece of string.
(c) He hides it in a wooden chest with a lock in the attic.
(d) He screams and later says he saw Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
2. What is the main fish that the Cricks and their neighbors catch for food?
3. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
(a) The Fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
(b) The French Revolution of 1789.
(c) The Norman Invasion of 1066.
(d) The Sarajevo Assassination of 1914.
4. What is the motto of the New Brewery in Gildsey?
(a) E Pluribus Unum.
(b) Ex Aqua Fermentum.
(c) Quid Pro Quo.
(d) Sine Qua Non.
5. What does Ernest Atkinson convert his manor Kessling Hall into?
(a) An asylum for the mentally ill.
(b) A school for orphans.
(c) A hospital for the wounded of World War I.
(d) A museum in honor of Sarah Atkinson.
6. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
(a) Lewis Scott.
(b) Tom Crick.
(c) Mary Crick.
7. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
(a) She began to scream at odd times of the night.
(b) She stole a baby from a stroller in a supermarket.
(c) She has developed Alzheimer's disease.
(d) Tom Crick hit her over the head and she lost her mind.
8. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
9. What is the lesson about history that Tom Crick draws from the study of eel mating behavior?
(a) While humans die, some life forms like the eel seem to live forever.
(b) The true future of mankind lies West of the Atlantic Ocean.
(c) The eel is much more adapted to life on earth than humans are.
(d) What human beings think of as major historical events makes little difference to other life on earth.
10. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
(a) They both take the same train to school every day.
(b) They both grew up without a mother.
(c) They both escape to the ruined windmill together in the afternoons.
(d) They both have odd older brothers.
11. What was Freddie Parr's father, Jack Parr, infamous for in the Gildsey area?
(a) His heckling of young women who worked in the fields.
(b) His tendency to get into fights with the local barman.
(c) His ability to smuggle liquor out of an American military base nearby.
(d) His habit of stealing livestock off the river barges.
12. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
(b) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
(c) They invent the steam engine.
(d) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
13. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(b) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(c) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
(d) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
14. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie had been hit on the head with a bottle.
(b) Freddie had been robbed and drowned by thugs.
(c) Freddie was drunk, fell in the water, and could not swim.
(d) Freddie had committed suicide.
15. After Freddie's death, Mary reacts in a drastic way. What does she do?
(a) She strangles Tom's favorite kitten.
(b) She locks herself into her father's house for three years.
(c) She attempts to commit suicide by drowning herself.
(d) She runs away to London.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
2. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
3. What about the scene at the Lode does NOT remind Tom of the later scene of Freddie Parr's death?
4. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
5. Which of the boys' bodies does Mary appear to be most interested in?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)