|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
(a) Tom's father Harry asks Harold for permission in the place of his son.
(b) Mary ignores her father and elopes with Tom.
(c) Tom comes home a war hero, and Harold Metcalf is too embarrassed to say no.
(d) Tom breaks into the Metcalf home at night and runs off with Mary.
2. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
(a) 99 years.
(b) 68 years.
(c) 92 years.
(d) 37 years.
3. What is the name of the ale Ernest Atkinson brews that seems to cause the end of any respect for him in Gildsey because it is too good?
(a) Diamond Jubilee Ale.
(b) Helen Atkinson Ale.
(c) Gildsey Flood Ale.
(d) Coronation Ale.
4. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
(a) Helen Atkinson's beauty.
(b) The sound of a beer barge foghorn.
(c) Heckling by Ernest Atkinson.
(d) Drinking Coronation Ale.
5. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
(a) The Monk of Sudchurch.
(b) The Headless Ferryman of Staithe.
(c) The Singing Swans of Wash Fen Mere.
(d) The Grim Hound of Gargoyle Hall.
6. What is the agreement between Helen and Ernest Atkinson in exchange for Ernest allowing Helen to marry Harry Crick?
(a) That Helen will have Ernest's child.
(b) That Helen will find a way to assuage Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
(c) That Helen will become a nurse at the Kessling Hall asylum.
(d) That Helen will help Ernest commit suicide.
7. What is the object that Dick Crick treats like it is a real person?
(a) His father's radio.
(b) His dead mother's sewing machine.
(c) His motorbike.
(d) His barge engine.
8. How does Freddie Parr's father Jack react to the ruling by the court that Freddie's death was an accident?
(a) He curses the judge and accuses Tom Crick of killing Freddie.
(b) He walks out of the court room and is never seen again.
(c) He has a heart attack in the court room and dies on the spot.
(d) He goes to sit on the train tracks to commit suicide, but no train appears.
9. What is the great mystery about the eel that nobody has been able to explain?
(a) How long eels have existed.
(b) Where and how eels mate.
(c) What family of species the eel really belongs to.
(d) How eels can live both in salt water and fresh water.
10. What is Henry Crick's occupation?
(a) Brewmaster at the Atkinson Brewery.
(b) Barge captain on the River Ouse.
(c) Lock keeper at the Atkinson Lock.
(d) History teacher.
11. After Freddie's death, Mary reacts in a drastic way. What does she do?
(a) She runs away to London.
(b) She strangles Tom's favorite kitten.
(c) She attempts to commit suicide by drowning herself.
(d) She locks herself into her father's house for three years.
12. What is one of the books Tom Crick reads that he finds in the trove of books collected by his great-aunts Louisa and Dora?
(a) Hereward the Wake.
(b) A Tale of Two Cities.
(c) The Last of the Mohicans.
(d) King Arthur and His Noble Knights.
13. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
(a) The Crimean Victory.
(b) The Empress of India.
(c) The Grand '51.
(d) The Golden Jubilee.
14. What about the scene at the Lode does NOT remind Tom of the later scene of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Dick standing on the wooden bridge.
(b) A boat-hook lying on the riverbank.
(c) A bottle drifting in the water.
(d) Freddie Parr in the water.
15. Tom tells us that as a young teenager Mary liked to "experiment" with boys. Whom does he NOT suspect her of sleeping with?
(a) Freddie Parr.
(b) Tom Crick himself.
(c) Harold Metcalf.
(d) Dick Crick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
2. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
3. Which boy is most aggressive about asking the two girls to take their clothes off?
4. What does Tom Crick mean by the term "Natural History"?
5. How did Tom's parents meet?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)