|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
(a) The Norman Invasion of 1066.
(b) The Fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
(c) The Sarajevo Assassination of 1914.
(d) The French Revolution of 1789.
2. What medical condition is Tom afraid that Mary might have?
(c) Bipolar disorder.
(d) Alzheimer's disease.
3. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
(a) Heckling by Ernest Atkinson.
(b) The sound of a beer barge foghorn.
(c) Helen Atkinson's beauty.
(d) Drinking Coronation Ale.
4. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
(a) The mud felt the same and eels swam in the pools.
(b) The pretty girls in the town were disdainful of him.
(c) The army served the same ale the Atkinsons brewed in Gildsey.
(d) The men were silent and preferred to keep to themselves.
5. What does Ernest Atkinson's maid Jane Shaw think she saw in the old Atkinson townhouse as the brewery was burning?
(a) A black cat with its tail on fire.
(b) Ernest Atkinson packing cans of leftover lighting fluid into a satchel.
(c) Helen Atkinson laughing as she watches the brewery collapse from her window.
(d) The ghost of Sarah Atkinson, shouting.
6. What game are Tom Crick, Freddie Parr, Peter Baine, and Terry Coe playing with Mary Metcalf and Shirley Alford on the banks of the Hockwell Lode as Dick Crick looks on?
(a) Underwater hide and seek.
(b) They ask each other silly riddles.
(c) A raucous game of catch.
(d) A coy game of Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine.
7. Which part of London does the couple move to once they are married and Tom takes a job as a history teacher?
(d) Notting Hill.
8. What is one of the books Tom Crick reads that he finds in the trove of books collected by his great-aunts Louisa and Dora?
(a) Hereward the Wake.
(b) A Tale of Two Cities.
(c) The Last of the Mohicans.
(d) King Arthur and His Noble Knights.
9. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
(a) He says nothing and watches Mary run off into the night.
(b) He slaps Mary and shouts,
(c) He laughs uncontrollably.
(d) He tears up lumps of grass and angrily throws them around.
10. What does Tom notice for the first time when Mary struggles with Freddie Parr's prank?
(a) That Dick is interested in Mary and that Mary is interested in Dick.
(b) That Mary is ticklish.
(c) That Freddie Parr is a drunkard.
(d) That Terry Coe is afraid of eels.
11. How does Freddie Parr's father Jack react to the ruling by the court that Freddie's death was an accident?
(a) He walks out of the court room and is never seen again.
(b) He has a heart attack in the court room and dies on the spot.
(c) He curses the judge and accuses Tom Crick of killing Freddie.
(d) He goes to sit on the train tracks to commit suicide, but no train appears.
12. What is the main fish that the Cricks and their neighbors catch for food?
13. What is the motto of the New Brewery in Gildsey?
(a) E Pluribus Unum.
(b) Quid Pro Quo.
(c) Sine Qua Non.
(d) Ex Aqua Fermentum.
14. What did Johannes Schmidt conclude about the difference between the European eel and the American eel?
(a) The American eel has a shorter lifespan.
(b) There is no difference, genetically.
(c) The European eel has far more offspring.
(d) The American eel eats its young, whereas the European eel does not.
15. Which boy is most aggressive about asking the two girls to take their clothes off?
(a) Tom Crick.
(b) Peter Baine.
(c) Dick Crick.
(d) Freddie Parr.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
2. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
3. What was Freddie Parr's father, Jack Parr, infamous for in the Gildsey area?
4. What does Tom Crick's new-coined term "histrionics" refer to?
5. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)