Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who hunted in Greenwich Park, where Tom and Mary sit in the evenings with their dog?
(a) King Henry VIII.
(b) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(c) Queen Anne.
(d) The Duke of Wellington.
2. What mesmerized King Canute as he was rowed past Ely?
(a) The singing of the swans in the fens.
(b) The chanting of the monks at the Ely monastery.
(c) The sound of the sea breeze as it rushed through the reeds.
(d) The beauty of the girls washing laundry near the riverbank.
3. Which part of London does the couple move to once they are married and Tom takes a job as a history teacher?
(b) Notting Hill.
4. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
(a) He get engaged to a poor journalist's daughter without his parents' permission.
(b) He proclaims that he believes Sarah Atkinson's ghost haunts his bedroom.
(c) He closes the Atkinson brewery and begins selling soda instead.
(d) He bathes in a public fountain with some of his Cambridge classmates.
5. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) They invent the steam engine.
(b) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
(c) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
(d) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
6. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
(a) Placed in parentheses.
(b) According to the logic of the parents.
(c) Because of parental insanity.
(d) In place of the parents.
7. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
(a) The French Revolution of 1789.
(b) The Norman Invasion of 1066.
(c) The Fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
(d) The Sarajevo Assassination of 1914.
8. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
(b) St. Mary.
(c) St. Gunnhilda.
(d) St. Julian of Norwich.
9. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
(a) She began to scream at odd times of the night.
(b) She stole a baby from a stroller in a supermarket.
(c) She has developed Alzheimer's disease.
(d) Tom Crick hit her over the head and she lost her mind.
10. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
(a) All of the above.
(b) The headmaster does not like Tom Crick.
(c) Tom Crick has stopped teaching the syllabus.
(d) History will be eliminated from the curriculum.
11. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
(a) Drinking Coronation Ale.
(b) The sound of a beer barge foghorn.
(c) Helen Atkinson's beauty.
(d) Heckling by Ernest Atkinson.
12. What is the agreement between Helen and Ernest Atkinson in exchange for Ernest allowing Helen to marry Harry Crick?
(a) That Helen will become a nurse at the Kessling Hall asylum.
(b) That Helen will find a way to assuage Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
(c) That Helen will have Ernest's child.
(d) That Helen will help Ernest commit suicide.
13. Whom does Tom Crick quote as saying, "we cannot step into the same river twice?"
(a) Dionysius the Areopagite.
(b) Heraclitus of Ephesus.
14. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
(b) Tom Crick.
(c) Lewis Scott.
(d) Mary Crick.
15. What competition does Mary demand the boys take part in before she takes off her last piece of clothing for the winner?
(a) An underwater swimming competition.
(b) A competition to find and catch the largest eel.
(c) A wrestling match.
(d) A footrace to the bridge and back.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Freddie's death, Mary reacts in a drastic way. What does she do?
2. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
3. What tells Tom that he and Mary must finish their argument quickly because the park is about to close?
4. What does Tom Crick's new-coined term "histrionics" refer to?
5. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)