|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dick do when he finds the bottle?
(a) He threatens Tom not to tell anyone about it or he will hurt Tom.
(b) He ties it to the handle of his motorbike with a piece of string.
(c) He hides it in a wooden chest with a lock in the attic.
(d) He screams and later says he saw Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
2. What does Tom Crick's new-coined term "histrionics" refer to?
(a) Changing history through technology.
(b) Being hysterically enthusiastic about something.
(c) The combined study of history and economics.
(d) Throwing an angry fit because what has happened is history and cannot be changed.
3. What did Johannes Schmidt conclude about the difference between the European eel and the American eel?
(a) The European eel has far more offspring.
(b) The American eel has a shorter lifespan.
(c) The American eel eats its young, whereas the European eel does not.
(d) There is no difference, genetically.
4. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
(a) Tom Crick.
(b) Mary Crick.
(d) Lewis Scott.
5. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
(a) The thudding of his own heart.
(b) The growling of an angry beast.
(c) Machine gun fire.
(d) A bomber airplane.
6. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
(b) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
(c) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
(d) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
7. What was Freddie Parr's father, Jack Parr, infamous for in the Gildsey area?
(a) His tendency to get into fights with the local barman.
(b) His habit of stealing livestock off the river barges.
(c) His ability to smuggle liquor out of an American military base nearby.
(d) His heckling of young women who worked in the fields.
8. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
(a) The Thames.
(b) The Ouse.
(c) The Cam.
(d) The Tyne.
9. How does Freddie Parr's father Jack react to the ruling by the court that Freddie's death was an accident?
(a) He curses the judge and accuses Tom Crick of killing Freddie.
(b) He has a heart attack in the court room and dies on the spot.
(c) He goes to sit on the train tracks to commit suicide, but no train appears.
(d) He walks out of the court room and is never seen again.
10. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
(a) Their neighbor's son George.
(c) His brother Dick.
11. What about Mary strikes Tom when he returns from Germany at the end of World War II to marry her?
(a) How frail and vulnerable she seems.
(b) How much of her old spark and curiosity she has lost.
(c) How much more beautiful she has become.
(d) How tough and independent she has become.
12. What is it that Tom decides he must find at all cost?
(a) A full bottle of Coronation Ale.
(b) A way to expose Dick as Freddie's murderer.
(c) A key to his mother's chest in the attic.
(d) His grandfather's diary.
13. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
14. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
15. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
(a) The Crimean Victory.
(b) The Grand '51.
(c) The Golden Jubilee.
(d) The Empress of India.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
2. What game are Tom Crick, Freddie Parr, Peter Baine, and Terry Coe playing with Mary Metcalf and Shirley Alford on the banks of the Hockwell Lode as Dick Crick looks on?
3. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
4. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
5. What World War I battle was Tom's father injured in and saw his brother killed in earlier in the day?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)