|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tom Crick's response to this revelation?
(a) He reads history books when Dick is out wooing Mary.
(b) He turns Freddie Parr in to the police constable.
(c) He starts flirting intensely with Mary to outdo all the other boys.
(d) He begins to be afraid of Dick.
2. What about Mary strikes Tom when he returns from Germany at the end of World War II to marry her?
(a) How much of her old spark and curiosity she has lost.
(b) How much more beautiful she has become.
(c) How frail and vulnerable she seems.
(d) How tough and independent she has become.
3. Which of the boys' bodies does Mary appear to be most interested in?
(a) Tom Crick.
(b) Dick Crick.
(c) Freddie Parr.
(d) Terry Coe.
4. What about the scene at the Lode does NOT remind Tom of the later scene of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie Parr in the water.
(b) Dick standing on the wooden bridge.
(c) A boat-hook lying on the riverbank.
(d) A bottle drifting in the water.
5. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
(a) He proclaims that he believes Sarah Atkinson's ghost haunts his bedroom.
(b) He get engaged to a poor journalist's daughter without his parents' permission.
(c) He bathes in a public fountain with some of his Cambridge classmates.
(d) He closes the Atkinson brewery and begins selling soda instead.
6. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
(a) Tom breaks into the Metcalf home at night and runs off with Mary.
(b) Tom comes home a war hero, and Harold Metcalf is too embarrassed to say no.
(c) Tom's father Harry asks Harold for permission in the place of his son.
(d) Mary ignores her father and elopes with Tom.
7. What is the object that Dick Crick treats like it is a real person?
(a) His father's radio.
(b) His dead mother's sewing machine.
(c) His motorbike.
(d) His barge engine.
8. Henry Crick, Tom's father, is obsessed with one question about Freddie's death that he repeats over and over again. What is it?
(a) How did Freddie die?
(b) Who killed Freddie?
(c) Why did Freddie have to die?
(d) Could he have saved Freddie?
9. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
10. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
(a) His brother Dick.
(b) Their neighbor's son George.
11. Johannes Schmidt, whose theory about eels and their mating habits is considered the most accurate one, thought that eels mate where?
(a) In river springs.
(b) The Sargasso Sea.
(c) The Gulf of Mexico.
(d) The Arctic Ocean.
12. What is the great mystery about the eel that nobody has been able to explain?
(a) How eels can live both in salt water and fresh water.
(b) Where and how eels mate.
(c) How long eels have existed.
(d) What family of species the eel really belongs to.
13. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
(b) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
(c) They invent the steam engine.
(d) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
14. The effects of Ernest's special ale caused all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) The mass desertion of the army troops stationed in the town to the taverns.
(b) The premature setting off of the evening's fireworks.
(c) The near-collision of two pleasure boats whose steersmen had drunk too much.
(d) Wild improvisations by the marching band.
15. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
(a) He offends the mayor of Gildsey.
(b) He sneezes in parliament during a speech by King George V.
(c) He runs as a candidate for the Liberal Party.
(d) He opposes the unionization of dock workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
2. What does Ernest Atkinson's maid Jane Shaw think she saw in the old Atkinson townhouse as the brewery was burning?
3. What does Dick do when he finds the bottle?
4. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
5. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)