|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about the scene at the Lode does NOT remind Tom of the later scene of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie Parr in the water.
(b) Dick standing on the wooden bridge.
(c) A boat-hook lying on the riverbank.
(d) A bottle drifting in the water.
2. What does Tom Crick mean by the term "Natural History"?
(a) The study of human nature through stories to see what human beings truly are like.
(b) History as it would progress if humans didn't attempt to interfere in it constantly.
(c) The history of the world as seen through the lense of science.
(d) The history of animals, plants, and other life forms.
3. The effects of Ernest's special ale caused all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) The near-collision of two pleasure boats whose steersmen had drunk too much.
(b) Wild improvisations by the marching band.
(c) The premature setting off of the evening's fireworks.
(d) The mass desertion of the army troops stationed in the town to the taverns.
4. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
(b) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
(c) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
(d) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
5. What is Henry Crick's occupation?
(a) History teacher.
(b) Brewmaster at the Atkinson Brewery.
(c) Lock keeper at the Atkinson Lock.
(d) Barge captain on the River Ouse.
6. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
(a) The coastline of Cornwall.
(b) The Fens in eastern England.
(c) The Lake District in northern England.
(d) The docks of East London.
7. Tom tells us that as a young teenager Mary liked to "experiment" with boys. Whom does he NOT suspect her of sleeping with?
(a) Tom Crick himself.
(b) Harold Metcalf.
(c) Freddie Parr.
(d) Dick Crick.
8. Which of the following is NOT a theory that biologists have put forward about how eels reproduce?
(a) Eels fertilize their eggs internally and bring forth live young.
(b) Eels are sexless and a born spontaneously out of the mud.
(c) Eels form out of small parasites that begin their lives in the belly of larger fish.
(d) Eels create offspring by rubbing against rocks; the young form the shreds of skin that come off.
9. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
10. What medical condition is Tom afraid that Mary might have?
(c) Bipolar disorder.
(d) Alzheimer's disease.
11. Which boy is most aggressive about asking the two girls to take their clothes off?
(a) Tom Crick.
(b) Peter Baine.
(c) Dick Crick.
(d) Freddie Parr.
12. Johannes Schmidt, whose theory about eels and their mating habits is considered the most accurate one, thought that eels mate where?
(a) The Gulf of Mexico.
(b) The Sargasso Sea.
(c) In river springs.
(d) The Arctic Ocean.
13. What is it that Tom decides he must find at all cost?
(a) A way to expose Dick as Freddie's murderer.
(b) A key to his mother's chest in the attic.
(c) A full bottle of Coronation Ale.
(d) His grandfather's diary.
14. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
(a) The French Revolution of 1789.
(b) The Fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
(c) The Norman Invasion of 1066.
(d) The Sarajevo Assassination of 1914.
15. What is the object that Dick Crick treats like it is a real person?
(a) His barge engine.
(b) His dead mother's sewing machine.
(c) His father's radio.
(d) His motorbike.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
2. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
3. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
4. What secret does Tom reveal to his students about Lewis Scott, the headmaster of the school?
5. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)