|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
(a) He thinks Tom is senile.
(b) He thinks history is imaginary and doesn't matter.
(c) He thinks Tom is lying to the class.
(d) He hates school in general, and Tom is easy to pick on.
2. What game are Tom Crick, Freddie Parr, Peter Baine, and Terry Coe playing with Mary Metcalf and Shirley Alford on the banks of the Hockwell Lode as Dick Crick looks on?
(a) They ask each other silly riddles.
(b) A raucous game of catch.
(c) A coy game of Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine.
(d) Underwater hide and seek.
3. Who hunted in Greenwich Park, where Tom and Mary sit in the evenings with their dog?
(a) Queen Anne.
(b) King Henry VIII.
(c) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(d) The Duke of Wellington.
4. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
(a) Seeing destroyed German cities after World War II.
(b) Hearing about the murder of six million Jews during the war.
(c) A conversation with a German POW who says history has ended in 1945.
(d) Receiving a history book as a secret gift from Mary when he leaves for the war.
5. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
(b) An obese matron.
6. What is the great mystery about the eel that nobody has been able to explain?
(a) What family of species the eel really belongs to.
(b) How long eels have existed.
(c) How eels can live both in salt water and fresh water.
(d) Where and how eels mate.
7. Tom thinks that people who focus on ideals like the Declaration of the Rights of Man instead of the details of the French Revolution forget what important fact?
(a) The importance of the birthday of Louis XVI.
(b) That no man is an island and no idea exists outside of time.
(c) That the revolutionaries were hypocrites.
(d) That the revolution included barricades, bloodshed, and the guillotine.
8. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
(a) He slaps Mary and shouts,
(b) He says nothing and watches Mary run off into the night.
(c) He laughs uncontrollably.
(d) He tears up lumps of grass and angrily throws them around.
9. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(b) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
(c) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(d) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
10. What about Mary strikes Tom when he returns from Germany at the end of World War II to marry her?
(a) How much of her old spark and curiosity she has lost.
(b) How tough and independent she has become.
(c) How much more beautiful she has become.
(d) How frail and vulnerable she seems.
11. After Freddie's death, Mary reacts in a drastic way. What does she do?
(a) She attempts to commit suicide by drowning herself.
(b) She runs away to London.
(c) She locks herself into her father's house for three years.
(d) She strangles Tom's favorite kitten.
12. What is the object that Dick Crick treats like it is a real person?
(a) His motorbike.
(b) His barge engine.
(c) His dead mother's sewing machine.
(d) His father's radio.
13. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
(a) They owned a major textile factory.
(b) They helped drain the marshes by buiding locks and canals.
(c) They represented the Gildsey district in parliament.
(d) They ran a famous brewery.
14. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
(a) Tom Crick hit her over the head and she lost her mind.
(b) She stole a baby from a stroller in a supermarket.
(c) She began to scream at odd times of the night.
(d) She has developed Alzheimer's disease.
15. Where do the Cricks find the body of Freddie Parr?
(a) Slumped over the table at Jack Parr's house.
(b) Drifting along the canal at the Atkinson Lock.
(c) Sprawled in shrubbery by the side of the Ouse River Road.
(d) Hung from the rafters in the Cricks' barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
2. What is the worst thing Tom Crick can imagine?
3. What about the scene at the Lode does NOT remind Tom of the later scene of Freddie Parr's death?
4. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
5. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)