|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
(a) A beer bottle from the defunct Atkinson brewery.
(b) A metal ball from a slingshot Tom has seen Jack Parr use to kill birds.
(c) A cricket bat with an odd indentation and a label that reads F.P.
(d) A wrench Dick uses to fix his motorbike.
2. Tom thinks that people who focus on ideals like the Declaration of the Rights of Man instead of the details of the French Revolution forget what important fact?
(a) That the revolutionaries were hypocrites.
(b) That no man is an island and no idea exists outside of time.
(c) The importance of the birthday of Louis XVI.
(d) That the revolution included barricades, bloodshed, and the guillotine.
3. Johannes Schmidt, whose theory about eels and their mating habits is considered the most accurate one, thought that eels mate where?
(a) In river springs.
(b) The Sargasso Sea.
(c) The Arctic Ocean.
(d) The Gulf of Mexico.
4. Whom does Tom Crick quote as saying, "we cannot step into the same river twice?"
(b) Dionysius the Areopagite.
(c) Heraclitus of Ephesus.
5. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
(b) They invent the steam engine.
(c) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
(d) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
6. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
(a) His brother Dick.
(c) Their neighbor's son George.
7. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
(a) They both grew up without a mother.
(b) They both escape to the ruined windmill together in the afternoons.
(c) They both have odd older brothers.
(d) They both take the same train to school every day.
8. What does Freddie Parr do to Mary as revenge for setting him up to lose the competition because she knew he couldn't swim?
(a) He holds her under water until she nearly drowns.
(b) He rolls her in wet mud until she is totally covered by it.
(c) He steals all her clothes and forces her to walk home naked.
(d) He slips a large eel into her knickers.
9. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
10. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
(a) History will be eliminated from the curriculum.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Tom Crick has stopped teaching the syllabus.
(d) The headmaster does not like Tom Crick.
11. Where does Tom put the bottle that he found drifting in the water after Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Out by the road, where he hopes the police constable will see it.
(b) He accidentally leaves it on the kitchen table.
(c) He ties it to the tail pipe of Dick's motorbike.
(d) In Dick's room, where Dick would see it.
12. How does Freddie Parr's father Jack react to the ruling by the court that Freddie's death was an accident?
(a) He walks out of the court room and is never seen again.
(b) He has a heart attack in the court room and dies on the spot.
(c) He curses the judge and accuses Tom Crick of killing Freddie.
(d) He goes to sit on the train tracks to commit suicide, but no train appears.
13. What competition does Mary demand the boys take part in before she takes off her last piece of clothing for the winner?
(a) An underwater swimming competition.
(b) A wrestling match.
(c) A footrace to the bridge and back.
(d) A competition to find and catch the largest eel.
14. After Freddie's death, Mary reacts in a drastic way. What does she do?
(a) She locks herself into her father's house for three years.
(b) She runs away to London.
(c) She attempts to commit suicide by drowning herself.
(d) She strangles Tom's favorite kitten.
15. Which of the boys' bodies does Mary appear to be most interested in?
(a) Dick Crick.
(b) Terry Coe.
(c) Freddie Parr.
(d) Tom Crick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom Crick mean by the term "Natural History"?
2. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
3. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
4. What is the agreement between Helen and Ernest Atkinson in exchange for Ernest allowing Helen to marry Harry Crick?
5. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)