|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
(a) An obese matron.
2. Henry Crick, Tom's father, is obsessed with one question about Freddie's death that he repeats over and over again. What is it?
(a) How did Freddie die?
(b) Why did Freddie have to die?
(c) Who killed Freddie?
(d) Could he have saved Freddie?
3. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
(b) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
(c) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
(d) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
4. Which part of London does the couple move to once they are married and Tom takes a job as a history teacher?
(a) Notting Hill.
5. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
(a) She stole a baby from a stroller in a supermarket.
(b) Tom Crick hit her over the head and she lost her mind.
(c) She began to scream at odd times of the night.
(d) She has developed Alzheimer's disease.
6. Tom confronts Price about his frequent interruptions during class. What question does Price's reluctance about history boil down to?
(a) Is history not just a collection of stories that keeps the powerful in power?
(b) Does knowing history help change anything?
(c) How can anyone know what really happened?
(d) How many more history lessons will he have to sit through?
7. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
(a) He offends the mayor of Gildsey.
(b) He sneezes in parliament during a speech by King George V.
(c) He opposes the unionization of dock workers.
(d) He runs as a candidate for the Liberal Party.
8. What about Mary strikes Tom when he returns from Germany at the end of World War II to marry her?
(a) How tough and independent she has become.
(b) How much more beautiful she has become.
(c) How much of her old spark and curiosity she has lost.
(d) How frail and vulnerable she seems.
9. What game are Tom Crick, Freddie Parr, Peter Baine, and Terry Coe playing with Mary Metcalf and Shirley Alford on the banks of the Hockwell Lode as Dick Crick looks on?
(a) Underwater hide and seek.
(b) A raucous game of catch.
(c) They ask each other silly riddles.
(d) A coy game of Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine.
10. Whom does Tom Crick quote as saying, "we cannot step into the same river twice?"
(a) Dionysius the Areopagite.
(d) Heraclitus of Ephesus.
11. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
(a) They owned a major textile factory.
(b) They helped drain the marshes by buiding locks and canals.
(c) They ran a famous brewery.
(d) They represented the Gildsey district in parliament.
12. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
(a) The Grim Hound of Gargoyle Hall.
(b) The Monk of Sudchurch.
(c) The Singing Swans of Wash Fen Mere.
(d) The Headless Ferryman of Staithe.
13. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
(a) A cricket bat with an odd indentation and a label that reads F.P.
(b) A beer bottle from the defunct Atkinson brewery.
(c) A metal ball from a slingshot Tom has seen Jack Parr use to kill birds.
(d) A wrench Dick uses to fix his motorbike.
14. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
(a) Helen Atkinson's beauty.
(b) Heckling by Ernest Atkinson.
(c) The sound of a beer barge foghorn.
(d) Drinking Coronation Ale.
15. What does Freddie Parr do to Mary as revenge for setting him up to lose the competition because she knew he couldn't swim?
(a) He holds her under water until she nearly drowns.
(b) He slips a large eel into her knickers.
(c) He rolls her in wet mud until she is totally covered by it.
(d) He steals all her clothes and forces her to walk home naked.
Short Answer Questions
1. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
2. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
3. Which boy is most aggressive about asking the two girls to take their clothes off?
4. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
5. During the festivities for the newly crowned King George V, the New Atkinson Brewery is destroyed. How?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)