|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Johannes Schmidt, whose theory about eels and their mating habits is considered the most accurate one, thought that eels mate where?
(a) The Arctic Ocean.
(b) In river springs.
(c) The Gulf of Mexico.
(d) The Sargasso Sea.
2. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
(a) An obese matron.
3. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
(b) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
(c) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
(d) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
4. Which of the boys' bodies does Mary appear to be most interested in?
(a) Tom Crick.
(b) Terry Coe.
(c) Freddie Parr.
(d) Dick Crick.
5. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
6. What is the great mystery about the eel that nobody has been able to explain?
(a) How long eels have existed.
(b) How eels can live both in salt water and fresh water.
(c) What family of species the eel really belongs to.
(d) Where and how eels mate.
7. Which part of London does the couple move to once they are married and Tom takes a job as a history teacher?
(a) Notting Hill.
8. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
(c) His brother Dick.
(d) Their neighbor's son George.
9. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
(b) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
(c) They invent the steam engine.
(d) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
10. During the festivities for the newly crowned King George V, the New Atkinson Brewery is destroyed. How?
(a) An overexcited mob looking for more ale.
(b) A fire nobody can explain.
(c) An accidental explosion in the boiler room.
(d) A delivery truck rams one of the main pillars and collapses the building.
11. What mesmerized King Canute as he was rowed past Ely?
(a) The chanting of the monks at the Ely monastery.
(b) The sound of the sea breeze as it rushed through the reeds.
(c) The singing of the swans in the fens.
(d) The beauty of the girls washing laundry near the riverbank.
12. What is the object that Dick Crick treats like it is a real person?
(a) His barge engine.
(b) His father's radio.
(c) His motorbike.
(d) His dead mother's sewing machine.
13. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
(a) History will be eliminated from the curriculum.
(b) Tom Crick has stopped teaching the syllabus.
(c) The headmaster does not like Tom Crick.
(d) All of the above.
14. What does Freddie Parr do to Mary as revenge for setting him up to lose the competition because she knew he couldn't swim?
(a) He slips a large eel into her knickers.
(b) He steals all her clothes and forces her to walk home naked.
(c) He holds her under water until she nearly drowns.
(d) He rolls her in wet mud until she is totally covered by it.
15. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
(a) 92 years.
(b) 99 years.
(c) 68 years.
(d) 37 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
2. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
3. Which of the following is NOT a theory that biologists have put forward about how eels reproduce?
4. What is Henry Crick's occupation?
5. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)