|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the boys' bodies does Mary appear to be most interested in?
(a) Freddie Parr.
(b) Tom Crick.
(c) Terry Coe.
(d) Dick Crick.
2. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
3. What World War I battle was Tom's father injured in and saw his brother killed in earlier in the day?
4. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
(b) An obese matron.
5. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
6. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
(a) He get engaged to a poor journalist's daughter without his parents' permission.
(b) He closes the Atkinson brewery and begins selling soda instead.
(c) He bathes in a public fountain with some of his Cambridge classmates.
(d) He proclaims that he believes Sarah Atkinson's ghost haunts his bedroom.
7. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie was drunk, fell in the water, and could not swim.
(b) Freddie had been robbed and drowned by thugs.
(c) Freddie had committed suicide.
(d) Freddie had been hit on the head with a bottle.
8. The effects of Ernest's special ale caused all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) The premature setting off of the evening's fireworks.
(b) The mass desertion of the army troops stationed in the town to the taverns.
(c) Wild improvisations by the marching band.
(d) The near-collision of two pleasure boats whose steersmen had drunk too much.
9. Tom thinks that people who focus on ideals like the Declaration of the Rights of Man instead of the details of the French Revolution forget what important fact?
(a) That the revolutionaries were hypocrites.
(b) That no man is an island and no idea exists outside of time.
(c) The importance of the birthday of Louis XVI.
(d) That the revolution included barricades, bloodshed, and the guillotine.
10. What does Tom Crick's new-coined term "histrionics" refer to?
(a) Throwing an angry fit because what has happened is history and cannot be changed.
(b) Changing history through technology.
(c) Being hysterically enthusiastic about something.
(d) The combined study of history and economics.
11. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
(a) He sells the Water Transport Company.
(b) He takes a ruinous Grand Tour of Europe.
(c) He closes the Atkinson brewery.
(d) He sells Kessling Hall, their estate.
12. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
(b) Mary Crick.
(c) Tom Crick.
(d) Lewis Scott.
13. What secret does Tom reveal to his students about Lewis Scott, the headmaster of the school?
(a) The headmaster cheated to receive his university degree.
(b) The headmaster was once arrested for cross-dressing.
(c) The headmaster keeps whisky bottles in his filing cabinet.
(d) The headmaster is having an affair with his secretary, Miss Plum.
14. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(b) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
(c) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(d) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
15. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
(b) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
(c) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
(d) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Cricks find the body of Freddie Parr?
2. Who hunted in Greenwich Park, where Tom and Mary sit in the evenings with their dog?
3. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
4. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
5. What is Henry Crick's occupation?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)