|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dick do when he finds the bottle?
(a) He hides it in a wooden chest with a lock in the attic.
(b) He screams and later says he saw Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
(c) He ties it to the handle of his motorbike with a piece of string.
(d) He threatens Tom not to tell anyone about it or he will hurt Tom.
2. Henry Crick, Tom's father, is obsessed with one question about Freddie's death that he repeats over and over again. What is it?
(a) Could he have saved Freddie?
(b) How did Freddie die?
(c) Who killed Freddie?
(d) Why did Freddie have to die?
3. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
(a) Receiving a history book as a secret gift from Mary when he leaves for the war.
(b) A conversation with a German POW who says history has ended in 1945.
(c) Hearing about the murder of six million Jews during the war.
(d) Seeing destroyed German cities after World War II.
4. What secret does Tom reveal to his students about Lewis Scott, the headmaster of the school?
(a) The headmaster cheated to receive his university degree.
(b) The headmaster is having an affair with his secretary, Miss Plum.
(c) The headmaster keeps whisky bottles in his filing cabinet.
(d) The headmaster was once arrested for cross-dressing.
5. What World War I battle was Tom's father injured in and saw his brother killed in earlier in the day?
6. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
(a) Because of parental insanity.
(b) In place of the parents.
(c) According to the logic of the parents.
(d) Placed in parentheses.
7. During the festivities for the newly crowned King George V, the New Atkinson Brewery is destroyed. How?
(a) A fire nobody can explain.
(b) An accidental explosion in the boiler room.
(c) A delivery truck rams one of the main pillars and collapses the building.
(d) An overexcited mob looking for more ale.
8. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
(b) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
(c) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
(d) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
9. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
10. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
(b) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
(c) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
(d) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
11. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
(b) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
(c) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(d) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
12. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
(a) Humans can plan for the future.
(b) Humans tell each other stories.
(c) Humans have the ability to forgive each other.
(d) Animals don't kill each other out of jealousy.
13. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) They invent the steam engine.
(b) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
(c) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
(d) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
14. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
(a) The Singing Swans of Wash Fen Mere.
(b) The Monk of Sudchurch.
(c) The Grim Hound of Gargoyle Hall.
(d) The Headless Ferryman of Staithe.
15. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
(a) A bomber airplane.
(b) The thudding of his own heart.
(c) The growling of an angry beast.
(d) Machine gun fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
2. What does Tom Crick's new-coined term "histrionics" refer to?
3. Tom thinks that people who focus on ideals like the Declaration of the Rights of Man instead of the details of the French Revolution forget what important fact?
4. What is the object that Dick Crick treats like it is a real person?
5. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)