Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie had been hit on the head with a bottle.
(b) Freddie was drunk, fell in the water, and could not swim.
(c) Freddie had been robbed and drowned by thugs.
(d) Freddie had committed suicide.
2. Johannes Schmidt, whose theory about eels and their mating habits is considered the most accurate one, thought that eels mate where?
(a) The Sargasso Sea.
(b) The Gulf of Mexico.
(c) In river springs.
(d) The Arctic Ocean.
3. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
4. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
(a) Mary ignores her father and elopes with Tom.
(b) Tom comes home a war hero, and Harold Metcalf is too embarrassed to say no.
(c) Tom breaks into the Metcalf home at night and runs off with Mary.
(d) Tom's father Harry asks Harold for permission in the place of his son.
5. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
(a) A tethered dog.
(b) A caged wolf.
(c) A blind ox.
(d) A chained falcon.
6. What is the lesson about history that Tom Crick draws from the study of eel mating behavior?
(a) While humans die, some life forms like the eel seem to live forever.
(b) The true future of mankind lies West of the Atlantic Ocean.
(c) The eel is much more adapted to life on earth than humans are.
(d) What human beings think of as major historical events makes little difference to other life on earth.
7. What is the agreement between Helen and Ernest Atkinson in exchange for Ernest allowing Helen to marry Harry Crick?
(a) That Helen will find a way to assuage Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
(b) That Helen will have Ernest's child.
(c) That Helen will become a nurse at the Kessling Hall asylum.
(d) That Helen will help Ernest commit suicide.
8. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
(a) 68 years.
(b) 37 years.
(c) 92 years.
(d) 99 years.
9. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
(b) They invent the steam engine.
(c) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
(d) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
10. Lewis Scott, the headmaster at the school where Tom Crick teaches, thinks history should be considered part of what other field?
(a) Liberal Arts.
(b) General Studies.
11. What does Tom notice for the first time when Mary struggles with Freddie Parr's prank?
(a) That Mary is ticklish.
(b) That Dick is interested in Mary and that Mary is interested in Dick.
(c) That Terry Coe is afraid of eels.
(d) That Freddie Parr is a drunkard.
12. What is the name of the ale Ernest Atkinson brews that seems to cause the end of any respect for him in Gildsey because it is too good?
(a) Diamond Jubilee Ale.
(b) Helen Atkinson Ale.
(c) Gildsey Flood Ale.
(d) Coronation Ale.
13. What is the worst thing Tom Crick can imagine?
(a) Nuclear weapons destroy the earth.
(b) Humans stop being curious.
(c) Humans forget their own history.
(d) Mary stops loving him.
14. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
(a) He bathes in a public fountain with some of his Cambridge classmates.
(b) He proclaims that he believes Sarah Atkinson's ghost haunts his bedroom.
(c) He closes the Atkinson brewery and begins selling soda instead.
(d) He get engaged to a poor journalist's daughter without his parents' permission.
15. Which of the boys' bodies does Mary appear to be most interested in?
(a) Terry Coe.
(b) Tom Crick.
(c) Freddie Parr.
(d) Dick Crick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson's maid Jane Shaw think she saw in the old Atkinson townhouse as the brewery was burning?
2. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
3. Where does Tom put the bottle that he found drifting in the water after Freddie Parr's death?
4. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
5. What is Henry Crick's occupation?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)