|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 45.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom tell Dick about Mary's baby?
(a) That the baby is Dick's.
(b) That it's Dick's fault the baby died.
(c) That the baby really was Freddie Parr's.
(d) That the baby was Harold Metcalf's.
2. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Gunnhilda.
(b) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
(c) St. Mary.
(d) St. Julian of Norwich.
3. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
(a) A beer bottle from the defunct Atkinson brewery.
(b) A metal ball from a slingshot Tom has seen Jack Parr use to kill birds.
(c) A wrench Dick uses to fix his motorbike.
(d) A cricket bat with an odd indentation and a label that reads F.P.
4. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
(a) The coastline of Cornwall.
(b) The Lake District in northern England.
(c) The Fens in eastern England.
(d) The docks of East London.
5. What does Mary tell Tom that she does not tell the judge?
(a) That she didn't really hear a voice from God telling her to take the child.
(b) That she had planned abducting the child for a long time.
(c) That the mother had told her to take the child.
(d) That she had seen the mother pinch the child angrily.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
2. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
3. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
4. What game are Tom Crick, Freddie Parr, Peter Baine, and Terry Coe playing with Mary Metcalf and Shirley Alford on the banks of the Hockwell Lode as Dick Crick looks on?
5. What is the motto of the New Brewery in Gildsey?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)