|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 45.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
(b) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
(c) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
(d) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
2. After Freddie's death, Mary reacts in a drastic way. What does she do?
(a) She locks herself into her father's house for three years.
(b) She runs away to London.
(c) She strangles Tom's favorite kitten.
(d) She attempts to commit suicide by drowning herself.
3. Henry Crick, Tom's father, is obsessed with one question about Freddie's death that he repeats over and over again. What is it?
(a) Could he have saved Freddie?
(b) Why did Freddie have to die?
(c) Who killed Freddie?
(d) How did Freddie die?
4. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
(a) Tom breaks into the Metcalf home at night and runs off with Mary.
(b) Tom comes home a war hero, and Harold Metcalf is too embarrassed to say no.
(c) Mary ignores her father and elopes with Tom.
(d) Tom's father Harry asks Harold for permission in the place of his son.
5. What is the name of the Cricks' golden retriever?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of London does the couple move to once they are married and Tom takes a job as a history teacher?
2. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
3. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
4. Tom tells us that as a young teenager Mary liked to "experiment" with boys. Whom does he NOT suspect her of sleeping with?
5. What is the question Price asks Tom during their evening spent together that shakes Tom most deeply?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)