|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 45.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(b) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
(c) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(d) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
2. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie had been hit on the head with a bottle.
(b) Freddie was drunk, fell in the water, and could not swim.
(c) Freddie had been robbed and drowned by thugs.
(d) Freddie had committed suicide.
3. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
(a) The Ouse.
(b) The Cam.
(c) The Thames.
(d) The Tyne.
4. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
(a) According to the logic of the parents.
(b) Because of parental insanity.
(c) In place of the parents.
(d) Placed in parentheses.
5. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
(a) A conversation with a German POW who says history has ended in 1945.
(b) Seeing destroyed German cities after World War II.
(c) Hearing about the murder of six million Jews during the war.
(d) Receiving a history book as a secret gift from Mary when he leaves for the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
2. What is the lesson about history that Tom Crick draws from the study of eel mating behavior?
3. Tom tells us that as a young teenager Mary liked to "experiment" with boys. Whom does he NOT suspect her of sleeping with?
4. What do Tom and Mary hope will happen as they drive back to the supermarket to return the child?
5. Which of the boys' bodies does Mary appear to be most interested in?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)