|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
2. After Freddie's death, Mary reacts in a drastic way. What does she do?
(a) She strangles Tom's favorite kitten.
(b) She locks herself into her father's house for three years.
(c) She runs away to London.
(d) She attempts to commit suicide by drowning herself.
3. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
(a) The headmaster does not like Tom Crick.
(b) All of the above.
(c) History will be eliminated from the curriculum.
(d) Tom Crick has stopped teaching the syllabus.
4. What about Mary strikes Tom when he returns from Germany at the end of World War II to marry her?
(a) How tough and independent she has become.
(b) How frail and vulnerable she seems.
(c) How much more beautiful she has become.
(d) How much of her old spark and curiosity she has lost.
5. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
(a) Machine gun fire.
(b) A bomber airplane.
(c) The growling of an angry beast.
(d) The thudding of his own heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
2. What does Tom notice for the first time when Mary struggles with Freddie Parr's prank?
3. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
4. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
5. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)