|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the festivities for the newly crowned King George V, the New Atkinson Brewery is destroyed. How?
(a) A delivery truck rams one of the main pillars and collapses the building.
(b) An overexcited mob looking for more ale.
(c) An accidental explosion in the boiler room.
(d) A fire nobody can explain.
2. What is the great mystery about the eel that nobody has been able to explain?
(a) What family of species the eel really belongs to.
(b) How long eels have existed.
(c) How eels can live both in salt water and fresh water.
(d) Where and how eels mate.
3. What's the "old, old feeling" that Tom Crick tells Price everybody has always felt?
(a) That life must have meaning.
(b) That maybe there is no God.
(c) That everything might amount to nothing.
(d) That nobody really understand anyone.
4. What are Mary and Tom waiting for the last time they lie together at the windmill?
(a) For a voice from God telling them what to do.
(b) For Dick to find them and kill them.
(c) For the first winter snow.
(d) For Mary to have a miscarriage.
5. Where does the old Mary Crick claim she got her child without being pregnant?
(a) From the supermarket.
(b) From God.
(c) From her neighbor's son George.
(d) She found it on the doorstep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson convert his manor Kessling Hall into?
2. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
3. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
4. What is the agreement between Helen and Ernest Atkinson in exchange for Ernest allowing Helen to marry Harry Crick?
5. What is it that Tom decides he must find at all cost?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)