|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
(a) A blind ox.
(b) A caged wolf.
(c) A chained falcon.
(d) A tethered dog.
2. Where do the Cricks find the body of Freddie Parr?
(a) Hung from the rafters in the Cricks' barn.
(b) Sprawled in shrubbery by the side of the Ouse River Road.
(c) Slumped over the table at Jack Parr's house.
(d) Drifting along the canal at the Atkinson Lock.
3. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
(a) The Lake District in northern England.
(b) The Fens in eastern England.
(c) The coastline of Cornwall.
(d) The docks of East London.
4. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
(a) Tom's father Harry asks Harold for permission in the place of his son.
(b) Tom comes home a war hero, and Harold Metcalf is too embarrassed to say no.
(c) Mary ignores her father and elopes with Tom.
(d) Tom breaks into the Metcalf home at night and runs off with Mary.
5. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
(a) A wrench Dick uses to fix his motorbike.
(b) A beer bottle from the defunct Atkinson brewery.
(c) A cricket bat with an odd indentation and a label that reads F.P.
(d) A metal ball from a slingshot Tom has seen Jack Parr use to kill birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
2. Where does the old Mary Crick claim she got her child without being pregnant?
3. What is the name of the Cricks' golden retriever?
4. Johannes Schmidt, whose theory about eels and their mating habits is considered the most accurate one, thought that eels mate where?
5. Whom does Helen Crick ask to see when she is on her deathbed?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)