|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie had committed suicide.
(b) Freddie had been hit on the head with a bottle.
(c) Freddie was drunk, fell in the water, and could not swim.
(d) Freddie had been robbed and drowned by thugs.
2. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
(c) An obese matron.
3. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
4. Tom thinks that people who focus on ideals like the Declaration of the Rights of Man instead of the details of the French Revolution forget what important fact?
(a) That the revolution included barricades, bloodshed, and the guillotine.
(b) The importance of the birthday of Louis XVI.
(c) That the revolutionaries were hypocrites.
(d) That no man is an island and no idea exists outside of time.
5. How did Tom's parents meet?
(a) His father was recovering from World War I in a mental asylum where his mother was a nurse.
(b) His father heard her shouting one day because she'd sprained an ankle and rescued her.
(c) His father came home as a war hero and his mother was the prettiest girl at the parade.
(d) His father delivered a crate of eels to the house where Tom's mother lived.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
2. Whom does Helen Crick ask to see when she is on her deathbed?
3. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
4. What is it that Tom decides he must find at all cost?
5. What does Dick do when he finds the bottle?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)