|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Harry Crick find out that his son Dick is in love with Mary?
(a) He overhears Dick talking to himself about Mary.
(b) Dick asks how babies are made.
(c) Dick angrily shouts at Tom to stay away from Mary.
(d) Mary's father, Harold Metcalf, asks him to keep Dick away from Mary.
2. After Freddie's death, Mary reacts in a drastic way. What does she do?
(a) She runs away to London.
(b) She locks herself into her father's house for three years.
(c) She strangles Tom's favorite kitten.
(d) She attempts to commit suicide by drowning herself.
3. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
(a) The Ouse.
(b) The Thames.
(c) The Tyne.
(d) The Cam.
4. What does Tom Crick say is the mission of a history teacher?
(a) To instill in his students a sense of destiny.
(b) To teach his students about mistakes.
(c) To make sure his students end up loving history.
(d) To motivate his students to be active citizens.
5. Whom does Tom Crick quote as saying, "we cannot step into the same river twice?"
(a) Dionysius the Areopagite.
(d) Heraclitus of Ephesus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
2. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
3. Which of the following is NOT a theory that biologists have put forward about how eels reproduce?
4. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
5. Who hunted in Greenwich Park, where Tom and Mary sit in the evenings with their dog?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)