|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
(b) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
(c) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
(d) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
2. What's the "old, old feeling" that Tom Crick tells Price everybody has always felt?
(a) That maybe there is no God.
(b) That life must have meaning.
(c) That everything might amount to nothing.
(d) That nobody really understand anyone.
3. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
4. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
(a) He tears up lumps of grass and angrily throws them around.
(b) He laughs uncontrollably.
(c) He says nothing and watches Mary run off into the night.
(d) He slaps Mary and shouts,
5. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
(a) The Norman Invasion of 1066.
(b) The Fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
(c) The Sarajevo Assassination of 1914.
(d) The French Revolution of 1789.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
2. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
3. What is Ernest Atkinson's reaction to the fire?
4. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
5. What is the lesson about history that Tom Crick draws from the study of eel mating behavior?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)