|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
(a) He dreams of Mary as she was when she was 15.
(b) He dreams of Price as the Prime Minister of Britain.
(c) He dreams of a woman wailing in a supermarket.
(d) He dreams of the headmaster drowning in a canal.
2. Where do the Cricks find the body of Freddie Parr?
(a) Sprawled in shrubbery by the side of the Ouse River Road.
(b) Hung from the rafters in the Cricks' barn.
(c) Drifting along the canal at the Atkinson Lock.
(d) Slumped over the table at Jack Parr's house.
3. What sparks Tom Crick's interest in the mating habits of eels?
(a) Mary asks him to look it up because she wants to use it as an example to teach Dick about sex.
(b) His memory of an eel in Mary's knickers and his need to take his mind off Mary being with Dick.
(c) His desire to show his own curiosity is as strong as Mary's.
(d) Mary tells Tom if he can find out the truth about how eels mate, she'll stop her love lessons with Dick.
4. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) They invent the steam engine.
(b) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
(c) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
(d) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
5. Why does Mary tell Dick that she is pregnant with Freddie Parr's child?
(a) She tells Dick it isn't his child, sees his anger, and wants to protect Tom.
(b) She wants Dick to make Freddie leave her alone.
(c) She wants to end her love lessons with Dick.
(d) She's being silly, but Dick doesn't understand that she is joking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
2. What is the catastrophe that hits Europe in January 1937?
3. Where does Tom put the bottle that he found drifting in the water after Freddie Parr's death?
4. What is the question Price asks Tom during their evening spent together that shakes Tom most deeply?
5. What is Henry Crick's occupation?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)