|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
(b) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
(c) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
(d) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
2. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
(a) A beer bottle from the defunct Atkinson brewery.
(b) A wrench Dick uses to fix his motorbike.
(c) A metal ball from a slingshot Tom has seen Jack Parr use to kill birds.
(d) A cricket bat with an odd indentation and a label that reads F.P.
3. What is Tom Crick's response to this revelation?
(a) He reads history books when Dick is out wooing Mary.
(b) He turns Freddie Parr in to the police constable.
(c) He starts flirting intensely with Mary to outdo all the other boys.
(d) He begins to be afraid of Dick.
4. The effects of Ernest's special ale caused all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) The premature setting off of the evening's fireworks.
(b) The mass desertion of the army troops stationed in the town to the taverns.
(c) The near-collision of two pleasure boats whose steersmen had drunk too much.
(d) Wild improvisations by the marching band.
5. What mesmerized King Canute as he was rowed past Ely?
(a) The singing of the swans in the fens.
(b) The beauty of the girls washing laundry near the riverbank.
(c) The chanting of the monks at the Ely monastery.
(d) The sound of the sea breeze as it rushed through the reeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the catastrophe that hits Europe in January 1937?
2. What competition does Mary demand the boys take part in before she takes off her last piece of clothing for the winner?
3. In chapter 32, what is the event that Dick cannot understand?
4. What is the name of the supermarket that Mary stole the baby from?
5. Tom tells us that as a young teenager Mary liked to "experiment" with boys. Whom does he NOT suspect her of sleeping with?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)