|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mesmerized King Canute as he was rowed past Ely?
(a) The sound of the sea breeze as it rushed through the reeds.
(b) The singing of the swans in the fens.
(c) The beauty of the girls washing laundry near the riverbank.
(d) The chanting of the monks at the Ely monastery.
2. What is the name of the Cricks' golden retriever?
3. What is the name of the ale Ernest Atkinson brews that seems to cause the end of any respect for him in Gildsey because it is too good?
(a) Helen Atkinson Ale.
(b) Diamond Jubilee Ale.
(c) Coronation Ale.
(d) Gildsey Flood Ale.
4. What is in the chest in the attic that Helen bestows upon Dick?
(a) The veil of Sarah Atkinson.
(b) Helen's crucifix.
(c) Several bottles of Coronation Ale.
(d) Helen's antique jewelry.
5. What does Freddie Parr do to Mary as revenge for setting him up to lose the competition because she knew he couldn't swim?
(a) He rolls her in wet mud until she is totally covered by it.
(b) He slips a large eel into her knickers.
(c) He holds her under water until she nearly drowns.
(d) He steals all her clothes and forces her to walk home naked.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry Crick, Tom's father, is obsessed with one question about Freddie's death that he repeats over and over again. What is it?
2. What game are Tom Crick, Freddie Parr, Peter Baine, and Terry Coe playing with Mary Metcalf and Shirley Alford on the banks of the Hockwell Lode as Dick Crick looks on?
3. Why does Mary tell Dick that she is pregnant with Freddie Parr's child?
4. What is the lesson about history that Tom Crick draws from the study of eel mating behavior?
5. Whom does Helen Crick ask to see when she is on her deathbed?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)