|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lewis Scott, the headmaster at the school where Tom Crick teaches, thinks history should be considered part of what other field?
(a) General Studies.
(d) Liberal Arts.
2. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
(a) Heckling by Ernest Atkinson.
(b) Drinking Coronation Ale.
(c) Helen Atkinson's beauty.
(d) The sound of a beer barge foghorn.
3. What is the name of the ale Ernest Atkinson brews that seems to cause the end of any respect for him in Gildsey because it is too good?
(a) Gildsey Flood Ale.
(b) Helen Atkinson Ale.
(c) Coronation Ale.
(d) Diamond Jubilee Ale.
4. Whom does Tom Crick quote as saying, "we cannot step into the same river twice?"
(a) Dionysius the Areopagite.
(d) Heraclitus of Ephesus.
5. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
(a) The Tyne.
(b) The Ouse.
(c) The Thames.
(d) The Cam.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Freddie's death, Mary reacts in a drastic way. What does she do?
2. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
3. What is the way out everybody in Price's nightmare uses except for Price?
4. What is Ernest Atkinson's reaction to the fire?
5. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)