|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tells Tom that he and Mary must finish their argument quickly because the park is about to close?
(a) The steady stream of dog owners towards the park gates.
(b) The sunset glistening on the duck pond.
(c) The park-keeper's bell.
(d) The gruff voice of the park warden asking others to leave.
2. What secret does Tom reveal to his students about Lewis Scott, the headmaster of the school?
(a) The headmaster keeps whisky bottles in his filing cabinet.
(b) The headmaster is having an affair with his secretary, Miss Plum.
(c) The headmaster cheated to receive his university degree.
(d) The headmaster was once arrested for cross-dressing.
3. What is the name of the Cricks' doctor?
(a) Dr. Fiddler.
(b) Dr. Bright.
(c) Dr. Atlee.
(d) Dr. Higginbotham.
4. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie had committed suicide.
(b) Freddie had been hit on the head with a bottle.
(c) Freddie had been robbed and drowned by thugs.
(d) Freddie was drunk, fell in the water, and could not swim.
5. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
(a) A cricket bat with an odd indentation and a label that reads F.P.
(b) A beer bottle from the defunct Atkinson brewery.
(c) A metal ball from a slingshot Tom has seen Jack Parr use to kill birds.
(d) A wrench Dick uses to fix his motorbike.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who turns out to be Ernest's other child?
2. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
3. What does Ernest Atkinson convert his manor Kessling Hall into?
4. What is the main fish that the Cricks and their neighbors catch for food?
5. What is one of the books Tom Crick reads that he finds in the trove of books collected by his great-aunts Louisa and Dora?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)