|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25 | Chapter 26.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom Crick's new-coined term "histrionics" refer to?
(a) Changing history through technology.
(b) The combined study of history and economics.
(c) Being hysterically enthusiastic about something.
(d) Throwing an angry fit because what has happened is history and cannot be changed.
2. The effects of Ernest's special ale caused all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) The mass desertion of the army troops stationed in the town to the taverns.
(b) Wild improvisations by the marching band.
(c) The near-collision of two pleasure boats whose steersmen had drunk too much.
(d) The premature setting off of the evening's fireworks.
3. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
(a) He opposes the unionization of dock workers.
(b) He runs as a candidate for the Liberal Party.
(c) He offends the mayor of Gildsey.
(d) He sneezes in parliament during a speech by King George V.
4. What competition does Mary demand the boys take part in before she takes off her last piece of clothing for the winner?
(a) An underwater swimming competition.
(b) A competition to find and catch the largest eel.
(c) A wrestling match.
(d) A footrace to the bridge and back.
5. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
(a) A wrench Dick uses to fix his motorbike.
(b) A metal ball from a slingshot Tom has seen Jack Parr use to kill birds.
(c) A cricket bat with an odd indentation and a label that reads F.P.
(d) A beer bottle from the defunct Atkinson brewery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
2. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
3. After Freddie's death, Mary reacts in a drastic way. What does she do?
4. What is the lesson about history that Tom Crick draws from the study of eel mating behavior?
5. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)