|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25 | Chapter 26.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tom Crick decide to study the history of the Fens?
(a) Because it is the only history that holds any fascination for him.
(b) Because the only history books he can find during the Battle for Britain are local ones.
(c) Because the only scholarship to university he can get is for Fenland history.
(d) To avoid thinking about the history that is in the making as World War II rages.
2. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
(a) He closes the Atkinson brewery.
(b) He takes a ruinous Grand Tour of Europe.
(c) He sells the Water Transport Company.
(d) He sells Kessling Hall, their estate.
3. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
(a) He offends the mayor of Gildsey.
(b) He runs as a candidate for the Liberal Party.
(c) He sneezes in parliament during a speech by King George V.
(d) He opposes the unionization of dock workers.
4. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
(a) He dreams of Mary as she was when she was 15.
(b) He dreams of a woman wailing in a supermarket.
(c) He dreams of the headmaster drowning in a canal.
(d) He dreams of Price as the Prime Minister of Britain.
5. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
(b) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(c) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(d) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main fish that the Cricks and their neighbors catch for food?
2. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
3. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
4. During the festivities for the newly crowned King George V, the New Atkinson Brewery is destroyed. How?
5. The effects of Ernest's special ale caused all of the following EXCEPT:
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)