|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25 | Chapter 26.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
(a) He bathes in a public fountain with some of his Cambridge classmates.
(b) He closes the Atkinson brewery and begins selling soda instead.
(c) He proclaims that he believes Sarah Atkinson's ghost haunts his bedroom.
(d) He get engaged to a poor journalist's daughter without his parents' permission.
2. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
(a) Humans have the ability to forgive each other.
(b) Humans tell each other stories.
(c) Animals don't kill each other out of jealousy.
(d) Humans can plan for the future.
3. What game are Tom Crick, Freddie Parr, Peter Baine, and Terry Coe playing with Mary Metcalf and Shirley Alford on the banks of the Hockwell Lode as Dick Crick looks on?
(a) Underwater hide and seek.
(b) A raucous game of catch.
(c) A coy game of Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine.
(d) They ask each other silly riddles.
4. What did Johannes Schmidt conclude about the difference between the European eel and the American eel?
(a) The American eel eats its young, whereas the European eel does not.
(b) The European eel has far more offspring.
(c) There is no difference, genetically.
(d) The American eel has a shorter lifespan.
5. What medical condition is Tom afraid that Mary might have?
(c) Alzheimer's disease.
(d) Bipolar disorder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
2. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
3. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
4. What is the name of the ale Ernest Atkinson brews that seems to cause the end of any respect for him in Gildsey because it is too good?
5. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)