|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25 | Chapter 26.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the lesson about history that Tom Crick draws from the study of eel mating behavior?
(a) While humans die, some life forms like the eel seem to live forever.
(b) The eel is much more adapted to life on earth than humans are.
(c) What human beings think of as major historical events makes little difference to other life on earth.
(d) The true future of mankind lies West of the Atlantic Ocean.
2. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
(a) Because of parental insanity.
(b) According to the logic of the parents.
(c) Placed in parentheses.
(d) In place of the parents.
3. Which of the following is NOT a theory that biologists have put forward about how eels reproduce?
(a) Eels are sexless and a born spontaneously out of the mud.
(b) Eels create offspring by rubbing against rocks; the young form the shreds of skin that come off.
(c) Eels fertilize their eggs internally and bring forth live young.
(d) Eels form out of small parasites that begin their lives in the belly of larger fish.
4. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
(b) Their neighbor's son George.
(d) His brother Dick.
5. How did Tom's parents meet?
(a) His father was recovering from World War I in a mental asylum where his mother was a nurse.
(b) His father delivered a crate of eels to the house where Tom's mother lived.
(c) His father heard her shouting one day because she'd sprained an ankle and rescued her.
(d) His father came home as a war hero and his mother was the prettiest girl at the parade.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Mary strikes Tom when he returns from Germany at the end of World War II to marry her?
2. What is the name of the ale Ernest Atkinson brews that seems to cause the end of any respect for him in Gildsey because it is too good?
3. Tom thinks that people who focus on ideals like the Declaration of the Rights of Man instead of the details of the French Revolution forget what important fact?
4. Which of the boys' bodies does Mary appear to be most interested in?
5. What does Freddie Parr do to Mary as revenge for setting him up to lose the competition because she knew he couldn't swim?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)