|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25 | Chapter 26.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Tom's parents meet?
(a) His father heard her shouting one day because she'd sprained an ankle and rescued her.
(b) His father came home as a war hero and his mother was the prettiest girl at the parade.
(c) His father was recovering from World War I in a mental asylum where his mother was a nurse.
(d) His father delivered a crate of eels to the house where Tom's mother lived.
2. What is Ernest Atkinson's reaction to the fire?
(a) He frantically alerts the fire brigade, but they are too drunk to help.
(b) He shows no reaction and drives off to his country estate.
(c) He sings loudly with the other revelers as the brewery collapses.
(d) He weeps openly on front of the entire town.
3. What did Johannes Schmidt conclude about the difference between the European eel and the American eel?
(a) The American eel eats its young, whereas the European eel does not.
(b) There is no difference, genetically.
(c) The American eel has a shorter lifespan.
(d) The European eel has far more offspring.
4. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
5. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
(b) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
(c) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
(d) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Johannes Schmidt, whose theory about eels and their mating habits is considered the most accurate one, thought that eels mate where?
2. What competition does Mary demand the boys take part in before she takes off her last piece of clothing for the winner?
3. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
4. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
5. What about Mary strikes Tom when he returns from Germany at the end of World War II to marry her?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)