|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25 | Chapter 26.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
(b) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
(c) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
(d) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
2. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
(a) An obese matron.
3. Why does Tom Crick decide to study the history of the Fens?
(a) To avoid thinking about the history that is in the making as World War II rages.
(b) Because the only scholarship to university he can get is for Fenland history.
(c) Because it is the only history that holds any fascination for him.
(d) Because the only history books he can find during the Battle for Britain are local ones.
4. What is the object that Dick Crick treats like it is a real person?
(a) His dead mother's sewing machine.
(b) His motorbike.
(c) His barge engine.
(d) His father's radio.
5. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
(a) The Grim Hound of Gargoyle Hall.
(b) The Headless Ferryman of Staithe.
(c) The Singing Swans of Wash Fen Mere.
(d) The Monk of Sudchurch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom Crick think the French really celebrate on Bastille Day when they mark the beginning of the French Revolution?
2. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
3. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
4. What is the motto of the New Brewery in Gildsey?
5. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)