|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25 | Chapter 26.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
(a) Hearing about the murder of six million Jews during the war.
(b) Seeing destroyed German cities after World War II.
(c) Receiving a history book as a secret gift from Mary when he leaves for the war.
(d) A conversation with a German POW who says history has ended in 1945.
2. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
(b) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(c) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(d) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
3. Johannes Schmidt, whose theory about eels and their mating habits is considered the most accurate one, thought that eels mate where?
(a) The Gulf of Mexico.
(b) In river springs.
(c) The Arctic Ocean.
(d) The Sargasso Sea.
4. Which of the following is NOT a theory that biologists have put forward about how eels reproduce?
(a) Eels create offspring by rubbing against rocks; the young form the shreds of skin that come off.
(b) Eels fertilize their eggs internally and bring forth live young.
(c) Eels are sexless and a born spontaneously out of the mud.
(d) Eels form out of small parasites that begin their lives in the belly of larger fish.
5. What is the object that Dick Crick treats like it is a real person?
(a) His barge engine.
(b) His father's radio.
(c) His dead mother's sewing machine.
(d) His motorbike.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
2. Where do the Cricks find the body of Freddie Parr?
3. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
4. What does Tom Crick think the French really celebrate on Bastille Day when they mark the beginning of the French Revolution?
5. What competition does Mary demand the boys take part in before she takes off her last piece of clothing for the winner?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)