|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25 | Chapter 26.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tells Tom that he and Mary must finish their argument quickly because the park is about to close?
(a) The sunset glistening on the duck pond.
(b) The steady stream of dog owners towards the park gates.
(c) The gruff voice of the park warden asking others to leave.
(d) The park-keeper's bell.
2. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
(a) They both have odd older brothers.
(b) They both grew up without a mother.
(c) They both escape to the ruined windmill together in the afternoons.
(d) They both take the same train to school every day.
3. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
(a) He closes the Atkinson brewery and begins selling soda instead.
(b) He get engaged to a poor journalist's daughter without his parents' permission.
(c) He proclaims that he believes Sarah Atkinson's ghost haunts his bedroom.
(d) He bathes in a public fountain with some of his Cambridge classmates.
4. Where do the Cricks find the body of Freddie Parr?
(a) Sprawled in shrubbery by the side of the Ouse River Road.
(b) Slumped over the table at Jack Parr's house.
(c) Drifting along the canal at the Atkinson Lock.
(d) Hung from the rafters in the Cricks' barn.
5. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
(a) They ran a famous brewery.
(b) They owned a major textile factory.
(c) They represented the Gildsey district in parliament.
(d) They helped drain the marshes by buiding locks and canals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
2. What World War I battle was Tom's father injured in and saw his brother killed in earlier in the day?
3. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
4. What did Johannes Schmidt conclude about the difference between the European eel and the American eel?
5. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)