|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
(b) His brother Dick.
(c) Their neighbor's son George.
2. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
(a) The thudding of his own heart.
(b) A bomber airplane.
(c) Machine gun fire.
(d) The growling of an angry beast.
3. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
(a) He thinks Tom is senile.
(b) He thinks history is imaginary and doesn't matter.
(c) He thinks Tom is lying to the class.
(d) He hates school in general, and Tom is easy to pick on.
4. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
(b) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
(c) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
(d) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
5. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
(a) The Tyne.
(b) The Thames.
(c) The Cam.
(d) The Ouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main fish that the Cricks and their neighbors catch for food?
2. After Freddie's death, Mary reacts in a drastic way. What does she do?
3. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
4. What is Henry Crick's occupation?
5. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)