|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
(a) Machine gun fire.
(b) The growling of an angry beast.
(c) A bomber airplane.
(d) The thudding of his own heart.
2. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
(a) He sells Kessling Hall, their estate.
(b) He takes a ruinous Grand Tour of Europe.
(c) He sells the Water Transport Company.
(d) He closes the Atkinson brewery.
3. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
(a) He thinks history is imaginary and doesn't matter.
(b) He thinks Tom is senile.
(c) He thinks Tom is lying to the class.
(d) He hates school in general, and Tom is easy to pick on.
4. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
(a) She has developed Alzheimer's disease.
(b) Tom Crick hit her over the head and she lost her mind.
(c) She began to scream at odd times of the night.
(d) She stole a baby from a stroller in a supermarket.
5. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
(b) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
(c) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
(d) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
2. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
3. How did Tom's parents meet?
4. What does Tom Crick's new-coined term "histrionics" refer to?
5. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)