|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
(a) He bathes in a public fountain with some of his Cambridge classmates.
(b) He get engaged to a poor journalist's daughter without his parents' permission.
(c) He proclaims that he believes Sarah Atkinson's ghost haunts his bedroom.
(d) He closes the Atkinson brewery and begins selling soda instead.
2. Which part of London does the couple move to once they are married and Tom takes a job as a history teacher?
(a) Notting Hill.
3. The effects of Ernest's special ale caused all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) The near-collision of two pleasure boats whose steersmen had drunk too much.
(b) The premature setting off of the evening's fireworks.
(c) Wild improvisations by the marching band.
(d) The mass desertion of the army troops stationed in the town to the taverns.
4. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
(a) A wrench Dick uses to fix his motorbike.
(b) A beer bottle from the defunct Atkinson brewery.
(c) A metal ball from a slingshot Tom has seen Jack Parr use to kill birds.
(d) A cricket bat with an odd indentation and a label that reads F.P.
5. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
(a) Tom's father Harry asks Harold for permission in the place of his son.
(b) Tom comes home a war hero, and Harold Metcalf is too embarrassed to say no.
(c) Tom breaks into the Metcalf home at night and runs off with Mary.
(d) Mary ignores her father and elopes with Tom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
2. How does Freddie Parr's father Jack react to the ruling by the court that Freddie's death was an accident?
3. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
4. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
5. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)