|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
(a) They both grew up without a mother.
(b) They both have odd older brothers.
(c) They both escape to the ruined windmill together in the afternoons.
(d) They both take the same train to school every day.
2. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
(b) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
(c) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
(d) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
3. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
(b) St. Julian of Norwich.
(c) St. Gunnhilda.
(d) St. Mary.
4. How does Freddie Parr's father Jack react to the ruling by the court that Freddie's death was an accident?
(a) He walks out of the court room and is never seen again.
(b) He curses the judge and accuses Tom Crick of killing Freddie.
(c) He has a heart attack in the court room and dies on the spot.
(d) He goes to sit on the train tracks to commit suicide, but no train appears.
5. What does Ernest Atkinson's maid Jane Shaw think she saw in the old Atkinson townhouse as the brewery was burning?
(a) The ghost of Sarah Atkinson, shouting.
(b) Ernest Atkinson packing cans of leftover lighting fluid into a satchel.
(c) A black cat with its tail on fire.
(d) Helen Atkinson laughing as she watches the brewery collapse from her window.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
2. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
3. Where do the Cricks find the body of Freddie Parr?
4. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
5. What does Tom Crick's new-coined term "histrionics" refer to?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)