|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
(a) Because of parental insanity.
(b) Placed in parentheses.
(c) According to the logic of the parents.
(d) In place of the parents.
2. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Julian of Norwich.
(b) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
(c) St. Mary.
(d) St. Gunnhilda.
3. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(b) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(c) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
(d) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
4. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
(a) A conversation with a German POW who says history has ended in 1945.
(b) Hearing about the murder of six million Jews during the war.
(c) Seeing destroyed German cities after World War II.
(d) Receiving a history book as a secret gift from Mary when he leaves for the war.
5. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
(a) The army served the same ale the Atkinsons brewed in Gildsey.
(b) The pretty girls in the town were disdainful of him.
(c) The mud felt the same and eels swam in the pools.
(d) The men were silent and preferred to keep to themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
2. What mesmerized King Canute as he was rowed past Ely?
3. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
4. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
5. What medical condition is Tom afraid that Mary might have?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)