|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
(a) He dreams of Price as the Prime Minister of Britain.
(b) He dreams of a woman wailing in a supermarket.
(c) He dreams of Mary as she was when she was 15.
(d) He dreams of the headmaster drowning in a canal.
2. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
(b) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
(c) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
(d) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
3. Henry Crick, Tom's father, is obsessed with one question about Freddie's death that he repeats over and over again. What is it?
(a) Why did Freddie have to die?
(b) Who killed Freddie?
(c) How did Freddie die?
(d) Could he have saved Freddie?
4. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie had been robbed and drowned by thugs.
(b) Freddie had committed suicide.
(c) Freddie was drunk, fell in the water, and could not swim.
(d) Freddie had been hit on the head with a bottle.
5. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
(a) He slaps Mary and shouts,
(b) He laughs uncontrollably.
(c) He tears up lumps of grass and angrily throws them around.
(d) He says nothing and watches Mary run off into the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
2. The effects of Ernest's special ale caused all of the following EXCEPT:
3. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
4. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
5. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)