|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which part of London does the couple move to once they are married and Tom takes a job as a history teacher?
(b) Notting Hill.
2. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
(a) Receiving a history book as a secret gift from Mary when he leaves for the war.
(b) Seeing destroyed German cities after World War II.
(c) Hearing about the murder of six million Jews during the war.
(d) A conversation with a German POW who says history has ended in 1945.
3. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
(b) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
(c) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
(d) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
4. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
(a) Animals don't kill each other out of jealousy.
(b) Humans tell each other stories.
(c) Humans have the ability to forgive each other.
(d) Humans can plan for the future.
5. Whom does Tom Crick quote as saying, "we cannot step into the same river twice?"
(a) Heraclitus of Ephesus.
(c) Dionysius the Areopagite.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
2. What is the motto of the New Brewery in Gildsey?
3. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
4. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
5. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)