|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which part of London does the couple move to once they are married and Tom takes a job as a history teacher?
(a) Notting Hill.
2. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
(b) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
(c) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
(d) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
3. What is the name of the ale Ernest Atkinson brews that seems to cause the end of any respect for him in Gildsey because it is too good?
(a) Helen Atkinson Ale.
(b) Gildsey Flood Ale.
(c) Diamond Jubilee Ale.
(d) Coronation Ale.
4. Who hunted in Greenwich Park, where Tom and Mary sit in the evenings with their dog?
(a) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(b) King Henry VIII.
(c) Queen Anne.
(d) The Duke of Wellington.
5. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
(a) The men were silent and preferred to keep to themselves.
(b) The army served the same ale the Atkinsons brewed in Gildsey.
(c) The pretty girls in the town were disdainful of him.
(d) The mud felt the same and eels swam in the pools.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
2. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
3. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
4. What is Henry Crick's occupation?
5. What is Ernest Atkinson's reaction to the fire?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)