|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
(a) They owned a major textile factory.
(b) They represented the Gildsey district in parliament.
(c) They helped drain the marshes by buiding locks and canals.
(d) They ran a famous brewery.
2. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
(c) An obese matron.
3. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
(a) He laughs uncontrollably.
(b) He says nothing and watches Mary run off into the night.
(c) He slaps Mary and shouts,
(d) He tears up lumps of grass and angrily throws them around.
4. The effects of Ernest's special ale caused all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) The near-collision of two pleasure boats whose steersmen had drunk too much.
(b) The premature setting off of the evening's fireworks.
(c) Wild improvisations by the marching band.
(d) The mass desertion of the army troops stationed in the town to the taverns.
5. Lewis Scott, the headmaster at the school where Tom Crick teaches, thinks history should be considered part of what other field?
(a) General Studies.
(b) Liberal Arts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
2. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
3. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
4. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
5. Where do the Cricks find the body of Freddie Parr?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)