|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Mary.
(b) St. Julian of Norwich.
(c) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
(d) St. Gunnhilda.
2. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
(a) Machine gun fire.
(b) The growling of an angry beast.
(c) The thudding of his own heart.
(d) A bomber airplane.
3. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
(a) He laughs uncontrollably.
(b) He slaps Mary and shouts,
(c) He tears up lumps of grass and angrily throws them around.
(d) He says nothing and watches Mary run off into the night.
4. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
5. Henry Crick, Tom's father, is obsessed with one question about Freddie's death that he repeats over and over again. What is it?
(a) How did Freddie die?
(b) Could he have saved Freddie?
(c) Why did Freddie have to die?
(d) Who killed Freddie?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Freddie's death, Mary reacts in a drastic way. What does she do?
2. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
3. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
4. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
5. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)