|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
2. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(b) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(c) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
(d) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
3. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
(a) He slaps Mary and shouts,
(b) He tears up lumps of grass and angrily throws them around.
(c) He laughs uncontrollably.
(d) He says nothing and watches Mary run off into the night.
4. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
(a) The Lake District in northern England.
(b) The coastline of Cornwall.
(c) The docks of East London.
(d) The Fens in eastern England.
5. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
(a) Humans tell each other stories.
(b) Humans have the ability to forgive each other.
(c) Humans can plan for the future.
(d) Animals don't kill each other out of jealousy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom tells us that as a young teenager Mary liked to "experiment" with boys. Whom does he NOT suspect her of sleeping with?
2. Henry Crick, Tom's father, is obsessed with one question about Freddie's death that he repeats over and over again. What is it?
3. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
4. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
5. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)