|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about Mary strikes Tom when he returns from Germany at the end of World War II to marry her?
(a) How frail and vulnerable she seems.
(b) How much more beautiful she has become.
(c) How much of her old spark and curiosity she has lost.
(d) How tough and independent she has become.
2. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
(a) A bomber airplane.
(b) The thudding of his own heart.
(c) Machine gun fire.
(d) The growling of an angry beast.
3. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
(a) Tom comes home a war hero, and Harold Metcalf is too embarrassed to say no.
(b) Tom's father Harry asks Harold for permission in the place of his son.
(c) Mary ignores her father and elopes with Tom.
(d) Tom breaks into the Metcalf home at night and runs off with Mary.
4. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
(a) A wrench Dick uses to fix his motorbike.
(b) A beer bottle from the defunct Atkinson brewery.
(c) A metal ball from a slingshot Tom has seen Jack Parr use to kill birds.
(d) A cricket bat with an odd indentation and a label that reads F.P.
5. Where do the Cricks find the body of Freddie Parr?
(a) Hung from the rafters in the Cricks' barn.
(b) Drifting along the canal at the Atkinson Lock.
(c) Sprawled in shrubbery by the side of the Ouse River Road.
(d) Slumped over the table at Jack Parr's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
2. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
3. How does Freddie Parr's father Jack react to the ruling by the court that Freddie's death was an accident?
4. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
5. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)