|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
(a) Mary ignores her father and elopes with Tom.
(b) Tom breaks into the Metcalf home at night and runs off with Mary.
(c) Tom's father Harry asks Harold for permission in the place of his son.
(d) Tom comes home a war hero, and Harold Metcalf is too embarrassed to say no.
2. Which part of London does the couple move to once they are married and Tom takes a job as a history teacher?
(c) Notting Hill.
3. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
(a) He thinks Tom is senile.
(b) He hates school in general, and Tom is easy to pick on.
(c) He thinks history is imaginary and doesn't matter.
(d) He thinks Tom is lying to the class.
4. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
(a) The pretty girls in the town were disdainful of him.
(b) The army served the same ale the Atkinsons brewed in Gildsey.
(c) The men were silent and preferred to keep to themselves.
(d) The mud felt the same and eels swam in the pools.
5. What is the main fish that the Cricks and their neighbors catch for food?
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
2. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
3. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
4. What about Mary strikes Tom when he returns from Germany at the end of World War II to marry her?
5. What is Henry Crick's occupation?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)