|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Freddie Parr's father, Jack Parr, infamous for in the Gildsey area?
(a) His ability to smuggle liquor out of an American military base nearby.
(b) His heckling of young women who worked in the fields.
(c) His tendency to get into fights with the local barman.
(d) His habit of stealing livestock off the river barges.
2. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(b) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(c) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
(d) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
3. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
(a) They both have odd older brothers.
(b) They both take the same train to school every day.
(c) They both grew up without a mother.
(d) They both escape to the ruined windmill together in the afternoons.
4. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
(a) Humans have the ability to forgive each other.
(b) Animals don't kill each other out of jealousy.
(c) Humans can plan for the future.
(d) Humans tell each other stories.
5. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie had been hit on the head with a bottle.
(b) Freddie had been robbed and drowned by thugs.
(c) Freddie was drunk, fell in the water, and could not swim.
(d) Freddie had committed suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
2. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
3. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
4. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
5. What is the main fish that the Cricks and their neighbors catch for food?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)