|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
(a) They both take the same train to school every day.
(b) They both grew up without a mother.
(c) They both have odd older brothers.
(d) They both escape to the ruined windmill together in the afternoons.
2. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
(a) They owned a major textile factory.
(b) They ran a famous brewery.
(c) They helped drain the marshes by buiding locks and canals.
(d) They represented the Gildsey district in parliament.
3. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
(a) The Fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
(b) The French Revolution of 1789.
(c) The Sarajevo Assassination of 1914.
(d) The Norman Invasion of 1066.
4. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
(a) Machine gun fire.
(b) The growling of an angry beast.
(c) A bomber airplane.
(d) The thudding of his own heart.
5. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
(a) An obese matron.
Short Answer Questions
1. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
2. What about Mary strikes Tom when he returns from Germany at the end of World War II to marry her?
3. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
4. What was Freddie Parr's father, Jack Parr, infamous for in the Gildsey area?
5. What is the object that Dick Crick treats like it is a real person?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)