|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
(b) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
(c) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
(d) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
2. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
3. What about Mary strikes Tom when he returns from Germany at the end of World War II to marry her?
(a) How much of her old spark and curiosity she has lost.
(b) How tough and independent she has become.
(c) How much more beautiful she has become.
(d) How frail and vulnerable she seems.
4. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
(a) The Fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
(b) The French Revolution of 1789.
(c) The Sarajevo Assassination of 1914.
(d) The Norman Invasion of 1066.
5. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
(a) The Golden Jubilee.
(b) The Grand '51.
(c) The Empress of India.
(d) The Crimean Victory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
2. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
3. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
4. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
5. What is the main fish that the Cricks and their neighbors catch for food?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)