|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
(a) A cricket bat with an odd indentation and a label that reads F.P.
(b) A wrench Dick uses to fix his motorbike.
(c) A beer bottle from the defunct Atkinson brewery.
(d) A metal ball from a slingshot Tom has seen Jack Parr use to kill birds.
2. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
(a) The Empress of India.
(b) The Crimean Victory.
(c) The Grand '51.
(d) The Golden Jubilee.
3. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
(a) The Fens in eastern England.
(b) The docks of East London.
(c) The Lake District in northern England.
(d) The coastline of Cornwall.
4. What was Freddie Parr's father, Jack Parr, infamous for in the Gildsey area?
(a) His heckling of young women who worked in the fields.
(b) His habit of stealing livestock off the river barges.
(c) His tendency to get into fights with the local barman.
(d) His ability to smuggle liquor out of an American military base nearby.
5. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
(a) History will be eliminated from the curriculum.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Tom Crick has stopped teaching the syllabus.
(d) The headmaster does not like Tom Crick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the motto of the New Brewery in Gildsey?
2. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
3. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
4. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
5. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)