|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
(a) The army served the same ale the Atkinsons brewed in Gildsey.
(b) The men were silent and preferred to keep to themselves.
(c) The pretty girls in the town were disdainful of him.
(d) The mud felt the same and eels swam in the pools.
2. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Gunnhilda.
(b) St. Julian of Norwich.
(c) St. Mary.
(d) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
3. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
(a) The Lake District in northern England.
(b) The Fens in eastern England.
(c) The coastline of Cornwall.
(d) The docks of East London.
4. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
(a) They both grew up without a mother.
(b) They both take the same train to school every day.
(c) They both escape to the ruined windmill together in the afternoons.
(d) They both have odd older brothers.
5. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
(a) The Crimean Victory.
(b) The Grand '51.
(c) The Empress of India.
(d) The Golden Jubilee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
2. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
3. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
4. Lewis Scott, the headmaster at the school where Tom Crick teaches, thinks history should be considered part of what other field?
5. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)