|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
(a) They helped drain the marshes by buiding locks and canals.
(b) They ran a famous brewery.
(c) They represented the Gildsey district in parliament.
(d) They owned a major textile factory.
2. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
(a) She stole a baby from a stroller in a supermarket.
(b) Tom Crick hit her over the head and she lost her mind.
(c) She began to scream at odd times of the night.
(d) She has developed Alzheimer's disease.
3. Where do the Cricks find the body of Freddie Parr?
(a) Slumped over the table at Jack Parr's house.
(b) Hung from the rafters in the Cricks' barn.
(c) Sprawled in shrubbery by the side of the Ouse River Road.
(d) Drifting along the canal at the Atkinson Lock.
4. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Julian of Norwich.
(b) St. Mary.
(c) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
(d) St. Gunnhilda.
5. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
(a) They both escape to the ruined windmill together in the afternoons.
(b) They both grew up without a mother.
(c) They both take the same train to school every day.
(d) They both have odd older brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
2. What does Tom Crick find in the river that he thinks caused the bruise that killed Freddie Parr?
3. What is the landscape the novel is set in?
4. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
5. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)