|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
(a) The army served the same ale the Atkinsons brewed in Gildsey.
(b) The mud felt the same and eels swam in the pools.
(c) The men were silent and preferred to keep to themselves.
(d) The pretty girls in the town were disdainful of him.
2. What was Freddie Parr's father, Jack Parr, infamous for in the Gildsey area?
(a) His habit of stealing livestock off the river barges.
(b) His heckling of young women who worked in the fields.
(c) His tendency to get into fights with the local barman.
(d) His ability to smuggle liquor out of an American military base nearby.
3. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Mary.
(b) St. Gunnhilda.
(c) St. Julian of Norwich.
(d) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
4. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
5. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
(a) History will be eliminated from the curriculum.
(b) The headmaster does not like Tom Crick.
(c) Tom Crick has stopped teaching the syllabus.
(d) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
2. What is the main fish that the Cricks and their neighbors catch for food?
3. What is the motto of the New Brewery in Gildsey?
4. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
5. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)