|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 46.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sparks Tom Crick's interest in the mating habits of eels?
(a) Mary tells Tom if he can find out the truth about how eels mate, she'll stop her love lessons with Dick.
(b) Mary asks him to look it up because she wants to use it as an example to teach Dick about sex.
(c) His memory of an eel in Mary's knickers and his need to take his mind off Mary being with Dick.
(d) His desire to show his own curiosity is as strong as Mary's.
2. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
3. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
(c) An obese matron.
4. What does Tom Crick think the French really celebrate on Bastille Day when they mark the beginning of the French Revolution?
(a) The power of the mob over government.
(b) The beginning of the Napoleonic Empire.
(c) An event that was not nearly as important at the time as it is now made out to be.
(d) An event that never took place.
5. What is NOT one of the emblems of by-gone years that Tom includes in his list of memories he wants Mary to recall?
(a) Fairy tales.
(b) Two crossed ears of barley on ships' bows.
(c) Fireworks over the Fens.
(d) Steam trains.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tom Crick apologize to Price outside the pub?
2. What about the scene at the Lode does NOT remind Tom of the later scene of Freddie Parr's death?
3. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
4. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
5. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)