|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 46.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
(b) Lewis Scott.
(c) Mary Crick.
(d) Tom Crick.
2. What are Mary and Tom waiting for the last time they lie together at the windmill?
(a) For Mary to have a miscarriage.
(b) For a voice from God telling them what to do.
(c) For the first winter snow.
(d) For Dick to find them and kill them.
3. What is NOT one of the emblems of by-gone years that Tom includes in his list of memories he wants Mary to recall?
(a) Fairy tales.
(b) Fireworks over the Fens.
(c) Two crossed ears of barley on ships' bows.
(d) Steam trains.
4. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
5. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
(a) A tethered dog.
(b) A chained falcon.
(c) A blind ox.
(d) A caged wolf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
2. What does Tom tell Dick about Mary's baby?
3. What game are Tom Crick, Freddie Parr, Peter Baine, and Terry Coe playing with Mary Metcalf and Shirley Alford on the banks of the Hockwell Lode as Dick Crick looks on?
4. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
5. What World War I battle was Tom's father injured in and saw his brother killed in earlier in the day?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)