|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 46.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom Crick mean by the term "Natural History"?
(a) History as it would progress if humans didn't attempt to interfere in it constantly.
(b) The history of the world as seen through the lense of science.
(c) The history of animals, plants, and other life forms.
(d) The study of human nature through stories to see what human beings truly are like.
2. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
(a) He runs as a candidate for the Liberal Party.
(b) He opposes the unionization of dock workers.
(c) He sneezes in parliament during a speech by King George V.
(d) He offends the mayor of Gildsey.
3. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
(b) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
(c) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
(d) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
4. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
(b) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
(c) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
(d) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
5. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
(a) They both take the same train to school every day.
(b) They both grew up without a mother.
(c) They both have odd older brothers.
(d) They both escape to the ruined windmill together in the afternoons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the question Price asks Tom during their evening spent together that shakes Tom most deeply?
2. What is Tom Crick's response to this revelation?
3. Why does Mary tell Dick that she is pregnant with Freddie Parr's child?
4. How does Price feel about helping his drunk teacher Tom Crick once they are out on the street outside the pub?
5. What is NOT one of the grotesque details Tom Crick lists to show that the French Revolution should better be remembered for its guillotines than for the festive spirit of the French on July 14th, when they "prefer fairy tales" about their history.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)