|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 46.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about the scene at the Lode does NOT remind Tom of the later scene of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie Parr in the water.
(b) A bottle drifting in the water.
(c) Dick standing on the wooden bridge.
(d) A boat-hook lying on the riverbank.
2. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
(a) He thinks history is imaginary and doesn't matter.
(b) He thinks Tom is senile.
(c) He hates school in general, and Tom is easy to pick on.
(d) He thinks Tom is lying to the class.
3. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
(b) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
(c) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
(d) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
4. What does Tom Crick think the French really celebrate on Bastille Day when they mark the beginning of the French Revolution?
(a) The beginning of the Napoleonic Empire.
(b) The power of the mob over government.
(c) An event that was not nearly as important at the time as it is now made out to be.
(d) An event that never took place.
5. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
(a) The Grand '51.
(b) The Empress of India.
(c) The Crimean Victory.
(d) The Golden Jubilee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
2. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
3. What sparks Tom Crick's interest in the mating habits of eels?
4. What does Tom tell Dick about Mary's baby?
5. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)