|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 46.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT one of the grotesque details Tom Crick lists to show that the French Revolution should better be remembered for its guillotines than for the festive spirit of the French on July 14th, when they "prefer fairy tales" about their history.
(a) Old women knitting at the scaffold.
(b) Headless corpses that flailed and kicked.
(c) Corpseless heads that rolled their eyes and screamed.
(d) Ravens picking at piles of corpses.
2. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
(a) The Monk of Sudchurch.
(b) The Headless Ferryman of Staithe.
(c) The Grim Hound of Gargoyle Hall.
(d) The Singing Swans of Wash Fen Mere.
3. Whom does Helen Crick ask to see when she is on her deathbed?
4. When Harry Crick hears that Mary told her father that Tom is the father of her aborted child, what does he tell Tom they should do?
(a) Stay away from each other.
(b) Repent and confess to a priest.
(c) Never mention it again.
(d) Get married.
5. What is the name of the Cricks' doctor?
(a) Dr. Higginbotham.
(b) Dr. Atlee.
(c) Dr. Fiddler.
(d) Dr. Bright.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the books Tom Crick reads that he finds in the trove of books collected by his great-aunts Louisa and Dora?
2. What does Ernest Atkinson convert his manor Kessling Hall into?
3. What is Dick's reaction to the revelation about his birth?
4. What about the scene at the Lode does NOT remind Tom of the later scene of Freddie Parr's death?
5. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)