|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 46.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
(a) The army served the same ale the Atkinsons brewed in Gildsey.
(b) The mud felt the same and eels swam in the pools.
(c) The pretty girls in the town were disdainful of him.
(d) The men were silent and preferred to keep to themselves.
2. What does Dick do when he finds the bottle?
(a) He hides it in a wooden chest with a lock in the attic.
(b) He screams and later says he saw Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
(c) He ties it to the handle of his motorbike with a piece of string.
(d) He threatens Tom not to tell anyone about it or he will hurt Tom.
3. What is the worst thing Tom Crick can imagine?
(a) Humans forget their own history.
(b) Mary stops loving him.
(c) Nuclear weapons destroy the earth.
(d) Humans stop being curious.
4. What is Dick's reaction to the revelation about his birth?
(a) He runs from the room, hides, and then drives off on his motorbike.
(b) He tries to kill Tom with one of the beer bottles.
(c) He shouts that he lu-lu-loves Tom.
(d) He laughs, jumps up and down, and cries,
5. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
(b) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
(c) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
(d) They invent the steam engine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
2. What game are Tom Crick, Freddie Parr, Peter Baine, and Terry Coe playing with Mary Metcalf and Shirley Alford on the banks of the Hockwell Lode as Dick Crick looks on?
3. Lewis Scott, the headmaster at the school where Tom Crick teaches, thinks history should be considered part of what other field?
4. Where does Tom put the bottle that he found drifting in the water after Freddie Parr's death?
5. What is in the chest in the attic that Helen bestows upon Dick?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)