|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 46.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dick's reaction to the revelation about his birth?
(a) He runs from the room, hides, and then drives off on his motorbike.
(b) He shouts that he lu-lu-loves Tom.
(c) He tries to kill Tom with one of the beer bottles.
(d) He laughs, jumps up and down, and cries,
2. What does Dick do when he finds the bottle?
(a) He ties it to the handle of his motorbike with a piece of string.
(b) He screams and later says he saw Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
(c) He hides it in a wooden chest with a lock in the attic.
(d) He threatens Tom not to tell anyone about it or he will hurt Tom.
3. What does the letter reveal to Tom and Dick about Dick?
(a) That Ernest found Dick in the shrubs near a canal and Helen adopted him.
(b) That he is the child of incest between Ernest and his daughter Helen.
(c) That Dick is entitled to Ernest's seat in the British parliament.
(d) That he is the heir to a vast fortune hidden in the Fens.
4. What is the historical fact that Tom says "history scarcely finds time to mention"?
(a) That on the eve of the French Revolution Louis XVI mourned his firstborn.
(b) That Marie Antoinette never said the phrase, "let them eat cake."
(c) That King Arthur was not English at all, but rather Welsh.
(d) That 55,000 German civilians died in the fire bombing Hamburg by the Allies.
5. How did Tom's parents meet?
(a) His father was recovering from World War I in a mental asylum where his mother was a nurse.
(b) His father delivered a crate of eels to the house where Tom's mother lived.
(c) His father came home as a war hero and his mother was the prettiest girl at the parade.
(d) His father heard her shouting one day because she'd sprained an ankle and rescued her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom tells us that as a young teenager Mary liked to "experiment" with boys. Whom does he NOT suspect her of sleeping with?
2. On what days does Tom stay at home at night because Dick spends the evenings out with Mary?
3. Why does Mary tell Dick that she is pregnant with Freddie Parr's child?
4. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
5. Which of the boys' bodies does Mary appear to be most interested in?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)