|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
(a) They ran a famous brewery.
(b) They helped drain the marshes by buiding locks and canals.
(c) They owned a major textile factory.
(d) They represented the Gildsey district in parliament.
2. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Julian of Norwich.
(b) St. Gunnhilda.
(c) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
(d) St. Mary.
3. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
(a) The men were silent and preferred to keep to themselves.
(b) The army served the same ale the Atkinsons brewed in Gildsey.
(c) The pretty girls in the town were disdainful of him.
(d) The mud felt the same and eels swam in the pools.
4. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
(a) The Empress of India.
(b) The Grand '51.
(c) The Crimean Victory.
(d) The Golden Jubilee.
5. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
(a) According to the logic of the parents.
(b) In place of the parents.
(c) Because of parental insanity.
(d) Placed in parentheses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret does Tom reveal to his students about Lewis Scott, the headmaster of the school?
2. What World War I battle was Tom's father injured in and saw his brother killed in earlier in the day?
3. Lewis Scott, the headmaster at the school where Tom Crick teaches, thinks history should be considered part of what other field?
4. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
5. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)