|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
(a) A bomber airplane.
(b) Machine gun fire.
(c) The growling of an angry beast.
(d) The thudding of his own heart.
2. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
(a) Humans can plan for the future.
(b) Animals don't kill each other out of jealousy.
(c) Humans have the ability to forgive each other.
(d) Humans tell each other stories.
3. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
4. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
(b) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
(c) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
(d) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
5. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Julian of Norwich.
(b) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
(c) St. Mary.
(d) St. Gunnhilda.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
2. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
3. How did Tom's parents meet?
4. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
5. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)