|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
(a) They helped drain the marshes by buiding locks and canals.
(b) They represented the Gildsey district in parliament.
(c) They owned a major textile factory.
(d) They ran a famous brewery.
2. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
(a) In place of the parents.
(b) According to the logic of the parents.
(c) Because of parental insanity.
(d) Placed in parentheses.
3. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
(a) The Norman Invasion of 1066.
(b) The Fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
(c) The French Revolution of 1789.
(d) The Sarajevo Assassination of 1914.
4. How did Tom's parents meet?
(a) His father delivered a crate of eels to the house where Tom's mother lived.
(b) His father was recovering from World War I in a mental asylum where his mother was a nurse.
(c) His father came home as a war hero and his mother was the prettiest girl at the parade.
(d) His father heard her shouting one day because she'd sprained an ankle and rescued her.
5. What does Tom Crick's new-coined term "histrionics" refer to?
(a) Being hysterically enthusiastic about something.
(b) The combined study of history and economics.
(c) Changing history through technology.
(d) Throwing an angry fit because what has happened is history and cannot be changed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
2. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
3. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
4. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
5. What is the motto of the New Brewery in Gildsey?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)