|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
(a) The pretty girls in the town were disdainful of him.
(b) The army served the same ale the Atkinsons brewed in Gildsey.
(c) The mud felt the same and eels swam in the pools.
(d) The men were silent and preferred to keep to themselves.
2. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
(a) He thinks Tom is senile.
(b) He hates school in general, and Tom is easy to pick on.
(c) He thinks history is imaginary and doesn't matter.
(d) He thinks Tom is lying to the class.
3. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
(a) A caged wolf.
(b) A tethered dog.
(c) A blind ox.
(d) A chained falcon.
4. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
(a) He dreams of the headmaster drowning in a canal.
(b) He dreams of Price as the Prime Minister of Britain.
(c) He dreams of a woman wailing in a supermarket.
(d) He dreams of Mary as she was when she was 15.
5. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
(a) He slaps Mary and shouts,
(b) He laughs uncontrollably.
(c) He tears up lumps of grass and angrily throws them around.
(d) He says nothing and watches Mary run off into the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
2. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
3. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
4. What World War I battle was Tom's father injured in and saw his brother killed in earlier in the day?
5. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)