|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom tells us that as a young teenager Mary liked to "experiment" with boys. Whom does he NOT suspect her of sleeping with?
(a) Harold Metcalf.
(b) Tom Crick himself.
(c) Dick Crick.
(d) Freddie Parr.
2. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
(a) Humans have the ability to forgive each other.
(b) Humans tell each other stories.
(c) Humans can plan for the future.
(d) Animals don't kill each other out of jealousy.
3. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
(b) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(c) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
(d) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
4. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) They invent the steam engine.
(b) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
(c) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
(d) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
5. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
(a) They both escape to the ruined windmill together in the afternoons.
(b) They both have odd older brothers.
(c) They both take the same train to school every day.
(d) They both grew up without a mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
2. Lewis Scott, the headmaster at the school where Tom Crick teaches, thinks history should be considered part of what other field?
3. What does Tom Crick's new-coined term "histrionics" refer to?
4. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
5. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)