|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
(a) Humans have the ability to forgive each other.
(b) Humans can plan for the future.
(c) Humans tell each other stories.
(d) Animals don't kill each other out of jealousy.
2. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
(a) He thinks history is imaginary and doesn't matter.
(b) He thinks Tom is lying to the class.
(c) He thinks Tom is senile.
(d) He hates school in general, and Tom is easy to pick on.
3. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
4. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
(a) 68 years.
(b) 92 years.
(c) 99 years.
(d) 37 years.
5. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
(a) The pretty girls in the town were disdainful of him.
(b) The men were silent and preferred to keep to themselves.
(c) The mud felt the same and eels swam in the pools.
(d) The army served the same ale the Atkinsons brewed in Gildsey.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
2. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
3. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
4. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
5. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)