|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(b) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
(c) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
(d) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
2. What is the motto of the New Brewery in Gildsey?
(a) E Pluribus Unum.
(b) Quid Pro Quo.
(c) Ex Aqua Fermentum.
(d) Sine Qua Non.
3. What secret does Tom reveal to his students about Lewis Scott, the headmaster of the school?
(a) The headmaster is having an affair with his secretary, Miss Plum.
(b) The headmaster keeps whisky bottles in his filing cabinet.
(c) The headmaster was once arrested for cross-dressing.
(d) The headmaster cheated to receive his university degree.
4. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
(a) A blind ox.
(b) A caged wolf.
(c) A tethered dog.
(d) A chained falcon.
5. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
(b) St. Julian of Norwich.
(c) St. Gunnhilda.
(d) St. Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
2. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
3. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
4. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
5. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)