|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
(a) Seeing destroyed German cities after World War II.
(b) Hearing about the murder of six million Jews during the war.
(c) A conversation with a German POW who says history has ended in 1945.
(d) Receiving a history book as a secret gift from Mary when he leaves for the war.
2. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
(b) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
(c) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
(d) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
3. Who is the patron saint of Gildsey?
(a) St. Julian of Norwich.
(b) St. Mary.
(c) St. Gunnhilda.
(d) St. Gertrude of the Marshes.
4. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
(b) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(c) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(d) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
5. What secret does Tom reveal to his students about Lewis Scott, the headmaster of the school?
(a) The headmaster was once arrested for cross-dressing.
(b) The headmaster cheated to receive his university degree.
(c) The headmaster keeps whisky bottles in his filing cabinet.
(d) The headmaster is having an affair with his secretary, Miss Plum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the motto of the New Brewery in Gildsey?
2. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
3. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
4. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
5. The Atkinsons are an important family in the Gildsey area for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)