|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
(a) He tears up lumps of grass and angrily throws them around.
(b) He laughs uncontrollably.
(c) He says nothing and watches Mary run off into the night.
(d) He slaps Mary and shouts,
2. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
(a) 68 years.
(b) 92 years.
(c) 99 years.
(d) 37 years.
3. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
(a) Her husband dies and his relatives take all his money from her, leaving her destitute.
(b) She is caught on the second floor of her house when it burns down.
(c) She loses her long-awaited first child at its birth.
(d) Her husband hits her in the head in a fit of rage, leaving her a living shell of her former self.
4. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
(a) The French Revolution of 1789.
(b) The Norman Invasion of 1066.
(c) The Sarajevo Assassination of 1914.
(d) The Fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
5. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
(b) They invent the steam engine.
(c) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
(d) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis Scott, the headmaster at the school where Tom Crick teaches, thinks history should be considered part of what other field?
2. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
3. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
4. What sort of proof does Mary offer that Dick cannot be the father of her child?
5. What does Tom Crick's new-coined term "histrionics" refer to?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)