|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
(a) He hates school in general, and Tom is easy to pick on.
(b) He thinks history is imaginary and doesn't matter.
(c) He thinks Tom is lying to the class.
(d) He thinks Tom is senile.
2. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(b) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(c) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
(d) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
3. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
(b) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
(c) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
(d) They invent the steam engine.
4. What secret does Tom reveal to his students about Lewis Scott, the headmaster of the school?
(a) The headmaster keeps whisky bottles in his filing cabinet.
(b) The headmaster cheated to receive his university degree.
(c) The headmaster was once arrested for cross-dressing.
(d) The headmaster is having an affair with his secretary, Miss Plum.
5. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
(a) Placed in parentheses.
(b) In place of the parents.
(c) Because of parental insanity.
(d) According to the logic of the parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
2. What is NOT one of the names the Atkinsons give their special-occasion ales?
3. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
4. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
5. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)