|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
(c) An obese matron.
2. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
(a) A tethered dog.
(b) A chained falcon.
(c) A caged wolf.
(d) A blind ox.
3. Which one of the following is NOT one of the ghosts that is said to haunt the marches along the River Leem?
(a) The Headless Ferryman of Staithe.
(b) The Singing Swans of Wash Fen Mere.
(c) The Grim Hound of Gargoyle Hall.
(d) The Monk of Sudchurch.
4. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
(a) Animals don't kill each other out of jealousy.
(b) Humans have the ability to forgive each other.
(c) Humans tell each other stories.
(d) Humans can plan for the future.
5. Tom tells us that as a young teenager Mary liked to "experiment" with boys. Whom does he NOT suspect her of sleeping with?
(a) Tom Crick himself.
(b) Dick Crick.
(c) Freddie Parr.
(d) Harold Metcalf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
2. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
3. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
4. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
5. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)