|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
(a) He hates school in general, and Tom is easy to pick on.
(b) He thinks history is imaginary and doesn't matter.
(c) He thinks Tom is senile.
(d) He thinks Tom is lying to the class.
2. What does the phrase "in loco parentis" mean?
(a) Because of parental insanity.
(b) Placed in parentheses.
(c) In place of the parents.
(d) According to the logic of the parents.
3. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
(a) An obese matron.
4. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
(a) Machine gun fire.
(b) The growling of an angry beast.
(c) The thudding of his own heart.
(d) A bomber airplane.
5. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
(a) Seeing destroyed German cities after World War II.
(b) Hearing about the murder of six million Jews during the war.
(c) A conversation with a German POW who says history has ended in 1945.
(d) Receiving a history book as a secret gift from Mary when he leaves for the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom tells us that as a young teenager Mary liked to "experiment" with boys. Whom does he NOT suspect her of sleeping with?
2. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
3. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
4. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
5. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)