|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret does Tom reveal to his students about Lewis Scott, the headmaster of the school?
(a) The headmaster was once arrested for cross-dressing.
(b) The headmaster cheated to receive his university degree.
(c) The headmaster keeps whisky bottles in his filing cabinet.
(d) The headmaster is having an affair with his secretary, Miss Plum.
2. How old is Sarah Atkinson when she dies?
(a) 37 years.
(b) 92 years.
(c) 99 years.
(d) 68 years.
3. How did Tom's parents meet?
(a) His father was recovering from World War I in a mental asylum where his mother was a nurse.
(b) His father came home as a war hero and his mother was the prettiest girl at the parade.
(c) His father heard her shouting one day because she'd sprained an ankle and rescued her.
(d) His father delivered a crate of eels to the house where Tom's mother lived.
4. What World War I battle was Tom's father injured in and saw his brother killed in earlier in the day?
5. What gives the Atkinsons the decisive advantage over the other brewers in the Gildsey area?
(a) They invent the steam engine.
(b) They grow the best malt barley for beer brewing in the area.
(c) An ancestor saves Queen Elizabeth, is knighted and given a royal commission.
(d) They return rich from an exploration to the Americas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
2. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
3. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
4. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
5. To what does Tom Crick compare the soil of the Fens?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)