|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
(b) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
(c) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
(d) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
2. What is the question Price asks Tom during their evening spent together that shakes Tom most deeply?
(a) Whether Tom isn't actually happy about having been fired.
(b) Whether Tom truly loves Mary.
(c) Whether Tom has ever considered ending it all.
(d) Whether Tom even would want to bring children into the world as it is.
3. On what days does Tom stay at home at night because Dick spends the evenings out with Mary?
(a) Wednesday and Sunday.
(b) Monday and Thursday.
(c) Tuesday and Friday.
(d) Wednesday and Saturday.
4. What does Tom notice for the first time when Mary struggles with Freddie Parr's prank?
(a) That Mary is ticklish.
(b) That Freddie Parr is a drunkard.
(c) That Dick is interested in Mary and that Mary is interested in Dick.
(d) That Terry Coe is afraid of eels.
5. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
(a) He sneezes in parliament during a speech by King George V.
(b) He opposes the unionization of dock workers.
(c) He offends the mayor of Gildsey.
(d) He runs as a candidate for the Liberal Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
2. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
3. Tom confronts Price about his frequent interruptions during class. What question does Price's reluctance about history boil down to?
4. What is one of the books Tom Crick reads that he finds in the trove of books collected by his great-aunts Louisa and Dora?
5. Why does Mary tell Dick that she is pregnant with Freddie Parr's child?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)