|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
(a) The growling of an angry beast.
(b) Machine gun fire.
(c) The thudding of his own heart.
(d) A bomber airplane.
2. What does Tom Crick mean by the term "Natural History"?
(a) History as it would progress if humans didn't attempt to interfere in it constantly.
(b) The study of human nature through stories to see what human beings truly are like.
(c) The history of animals, plants, and other life forms.
(d) The history of the world as seen through the lense of science.
3. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
(a) They both have odd older brothers.
(b) They both grew up without a mother.
(c) They both escape to the ruined windmill together in the afternoons.
(d) They both take the same train to school every day.
4. What is Tom Crick's response to this revelation?
(a) He reads history books when Dick is out wooing Mary.
(b) He starts flirting intensely with Mary to outdo all the other boys.
(c) He turns Freddie Parr in to the police constable.
(d) He begins to be afraid of Dick.
5. What is the historical event that Tom Crick keeps returning to over and over again as he explains that history seems to move in a circle?
(a) The Norman Invasion of 1066.
(b) The French Revolution of 1789.
(c) The Sarajevo Assassination of 1914.
(d) The Fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom confronts Price about his frequent interruptions during class. What question does Price's reluctance about history boil down to?
2. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
3. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
4. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
5. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)