|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
(a) Tom Crick.
(c) Mary Crick.
(d) Lewis Scott.
2. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
(a) He slaps Mary and shouts,
(b) He tears up lumps of grass and angrily throws them around.
(c) He says nothing and watches Mary run off into the night.
(d) He laughs uncontrollably.
3. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
(a) A conversation with a German POW who says history has ended in 1945.
(b) Seeing destroyed German cities after World War II.
(c) Hearing about the murder of six million Jews during the war.
(d) Receiving a history book as a secret gift from Mary when he leaves for the war.
4. What does Tom Crick's new-coined term "histrionics" refer to?
(a) Changing history through technology.
(b) The combined study of history and economics.
(c) Being hysterically enthusiastic about something.
(d) Throwing an angry fit because what has happened is history and cannot be changed.
5. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
(a) He opposes the unionization of dock workers.
(b) He offends the mayor of Gildsey.
(c) He runs as a candidate for the Liberal Party.
(d) He sneezes in parliament during a speech by King George V.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom notice for the first time when Mary struggles with Freddie Parr's prank?
2. What about the scene at the Lode does NOT remind Tom of the later scene of Freddie Parr's death?
3. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the difference between animals and humans?
4. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
5. What is the worst thing Tom Crick can imagine?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)