|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Harry Crick find out that his son Dick is in love with Mary?
(a) Mary's father, Harold Metcalf, asks him to keep Dick away from Mary.
(b) He overhears Dick talking to himself about Mary.
(c) Dick angrily shouts at Tom to stay away from Mary.
(d) Dick asks how babies are made.
2. What about the scene at the Lode does NOT remind Tom of the later scene of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) A boat-hook lying on the riverbank.
(b) Dick standing on the wooden bridge.
(c) A bottle drifting in the water.
(d) Freddie Parr in the water.
3. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
(b) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(c) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
(d) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
4. What does Tom Crick mean by the term "Natural History"?
(a) The history of the world as seen through the lense of science.
(b) The history of animals, plants, and other life forms.
(c) History as it would progress if humans didn't attempt to interfere in it constantly.
(d) The study of human nature through stories to see what human beings truly are like.
5. What is one of the books Tom Crick reads that he finds in the trove of books collected by his great-aunts Louisa and Dora?
(a) The Last of the Mohicans.
(b) King Arthur and His Noble Knights.
(c) Hereward the Wake.
(d) A Tale of Two Cities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
2. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
3. What is the worst thing Tom Crick can imagine?
4. What does Tom notice for the first time when Mary struggles with Freddie Parr's prank?
5. Why does Mary tell Dick that she is pregnant with Freddie Parr's child?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)