|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
(a) Mary Crick.
(c) Tom Crick.
(d) Lewis Scott.
2. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(b) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
(c) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
(d) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
3. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
(a) He laughs uncontrollably.
(b) He slaps Mary and shouts,
(c) He says nothing and watches Mary run off into the night.
(d) He tears up lumps of grass and angrily throws them around.
4. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
(a) The thudding of his own heart.
(b) The growling of an angry beast.
(c) A bomber airplane.
(d) Machine gun fire.
5. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
(a) He opposes the unionization of dock workers.
(b) He sneezes in parliament during a speech by King George V.
(c) He offends the mayor of Gildsey.
(d) He runs as a candidate for the Liberal Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
2. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
3. What does Tom notice for the first time when Mary struggles with Freddie Parr's prank?
4. What sparks Tom Crick's interest in the mating habits of eels?
5. What is the worst thing Tom Crick can imagine?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)