|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
(b) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
(c) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
(d) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
2. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
(a) He get engaged to a poor journalist's daughter without his parents' permission.
(b) He closes the Atkinson brewery and begins selling soda instead.
(c) He proclaims that he believes Sarah Atkinson's ghost haunts his bedroom.
(d) He bathes in a public fountain with some of his Cambridge classmates.
3. Why does Mary tell Dick that she is pregnant with Freddie Parr's child?
(a) She's being silly, but Dick doesn't understand that she is joking.
(b) She tells Dick it isn't his child, sees his anger, and wants to protect Tom.
(c) She wants to end her love lessons with Dick.
(d) She wants Dick to make Freddie leave her alone.
4. How does Harry Crick find out that his son Dick is in love with Mary?
(a) Dick angrily shouts at Tom to stay away from Mary.
(b) Mary's father, Harold Metcalf, asks him to keep Dick away from Mary.
(c) Dick asks how babies are made.
(d) He overhears Dick talking to himself about Mary.
5. What is Tom Crick's response to this revelation?
(a) He starts flirting intensely with Mary to outdo all the other boys.
(b) He turns Freddie Parr in to the police constable.
(c) He begins to be afraid of Dick.
(d) He reads history books when Dick is out wooing Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what days does Tom stay at home at night because Dick spends the evenings out with Mary?
2. What is the worst thing Tom Crick can imagine?
3. Which of the following does NOT draw Mary and Tom closer together?
4. What is the question Price asks Tom during their evening spent together that shakes Tom most deeply?
5. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)