|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
(a) He slaps Mary and shouts,
(b) He laughs uncontrollably.
(c) He tears up lumps of grass and angrily throws them around.
(d) He says nothing and watches Mary run off into the night.
2. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
(a) That she is about to run off to London to hide from her father.
(b) That she saw Freddie attack Dick the night before by the river bridge.
(c) That she is pregnant from Tom, but told Dick it was Freddie's child.
(d) That she pushed Freddie into the river.
3. What is the question Price asks Tom during their evening spent together that shakes Tom most deeply?
(a) Whether Tom truly loves Mary.
(b) Whether Tom isn't actually happy about having been fired.
(c) Whether Tom has ever considered ending it all.
(d) Whether Tom even would want to bring children into the world as it is.
4. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
(a) He get engaged to a poor journalist's daughter without his parents' permission.
(b) He bathes in a public fountain with some of his Cambridge classmates.
(c) He closes the Atkinson brewery and begins selling soda instead.
(d) He proclaims that he believes Sarah Atkinson's ghost haunts his bedroom.
5. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
(a) He offends the mayor of Gildsey.
(b) He runs as a candidate for the Liberal Party.
(c) He sneezes in parliament during a speech by King George V.
(d) He opposes the unionization of dock workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
2. What sparks Tom Crick's interest in the mating habits of eels?
3. What is the worst thing Tom Crick can imagine?
4. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
5. What does Ernest Atkinson do that marks the first step in his family's economic decline?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)