|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 44.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson convert his manor Kessling Hall into?
(a) An asylum for the mentally ill.
(b) A school for orphans.
(c) A museum in honor of Sarah Atkinson.
(d) A hospital for the wounded of World War I.
2. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
(a) The Cam.
(b) The Tyne.
(c) The Thames.
(d) The Ouse.
3. What does Dick do when he finds the bottle?
(a) He hides it in a wooden chest with a lock in the attic.
(b) He ties it to the handle of his motorbike with a piece of string.
(c) He threatens Tom not to tell anyone about it or he will hurt Tom.
(d) He screams and later says he saw Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
4. Where does Tom put the bottle that he found drifting in the water after Freddie Parr's death?
(a) He ties it to the tail pipe of Dick's motorbike.
(b) In Dick's room, where Dick would see it.
(c) He accidentally leaves it on the kitchen table.
(d) Out by the road, where he hopes the police constable will see it.
5. What is it that Tom decides he must find at all cost?
(a) A key to his mother's chest in the attic.
(b) A way to expose Dick as Freddie's murderer.
(c) His grandfather's diary.
(d) A full bottle of Coronation Ale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Tom Crick quote as saying, "we cannot step into the same river twice?"
2. What medical condition is Tom afraid that Mary might have?
3. When Tom and Mary take the baby back to the car, Tom is afraid that the silent baby is what?
4. How old is Mary when she steals the baby?
5. What is the agreement between Helen and Ernest Atkinson in exchange for Ernest allowing Helen to marry Harry Crick?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)