|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 44.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tom and Mary take the baby back to the car, Tom is afraid that the silent baby is what?
(a) In a coma.
(b) Dead with shock.
(c) Not real.
(d) Suffering interior injuries.
2. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
(a) Helen Atkinson's beauty.
(b) Heckling by Ernest Atkinson.
(c) Drinking Coronation Ale.
(d) The sound of a beer barge foghorn.
3. What medical condition is Tom afraid that Mary might have?
(c) Alzheimer's disease.
(d) Bipolar disorder.
4. What is the mother's reaction to the Cricks when they return the baby?
(a) She pretends that the baby isn't hers.
(b) She shouts for the police to arrest them.
(c) She assaults Mary and tries to scratch her eyes out.
(d) She ignores them and only has eyes for the baby.
5. What mesmerized King Canute as he was rowed past Ely?
(a) The sound of the sea breeze as it rushed through the reeds.
(b) The singing of the swans in the fens.
(c) The beauty of the girls washing laundry near the riverbank.
(d) The chanting of the monks at the Ely monastery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the agreement between Helen and Ernest Atkinson in exchange for Ernest allowing Helen to marry Harry Crick?
2. What does Mary tell Tom that she does not tell the judge?
3. What is it that Tom decides he must find at all cost?
4. Where does Tom put the bottle that he found drifting in the water after Freddie Parr's death?
5. At the end of chapter 44, Tom Crick decides that what people really want to know isn't truth. What they really want is...
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)