|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 44.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mesmerized King Canute as he was rowed past Ely?
(a) The chanting of the monks at the Ely monastery.
(b) The beauty of the girls washing laundry near the riverbank.
(c) The sound of the sea breeze as it rushed through the reeds.
(d) The singing of the swans in the fens.
2. Whom does Tom Crick quote as saying, "we cannot step into the same river twice?"
(a) Heraclitus of Ephesus.
(c) Dionysius the Areopagite.
3. What does Mary tell Tom that she does not tell the judge?
(a) That she had seen the mother pinch the child angrily.
(b) That the mother had told her to take the child.
(c) That she had planned abducting the child for a long time.
(d) That she didn't really hear a voice from God telling her to take the child.
4. What do Tom and Mary hope will happen as they drive back to the supermarket to return the child?
(a) That the mother will have simply disappeared.
(b) That the mother will not have noticed that the child has gone.
(c) That the mother will let them keep the child.
(d) That they can find the mother and return the child quietly.
5. What tells Tom that he and Mary must finish their argument quickly because the park is about to close?
(a) The park-keeper's bell.
(b) The gruff voice of the park warden asking others to leave.
(c) The steady stream of dog owners towards the park gates.
(d) The sunset glistening on the duck pond.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mother's reaction to the Cricks when they return the baby?
2. What does Dick do when he finds the bottle?
3. When Tom and Mary take the baby back to the car, Tom is afraid that the silent baby is what?
4. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
5. What does Ernest Atkinson convert his manor Kessling Hall into?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)