|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 44.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary tell Tom that she does not tell the judge?
(a) That she had seen the mother pinch the child angrily.
(b) That she had planned abducting the child for a long time.
(c) That she didn't really hear a voice from God telling her to take the child.
(d) That the mother had told her to take the child.
2. What is it that Tom decides he must find at all cost?
(a) A key to his mother's chest in the attic.
(b) A full bottle of Coronation Ale.
(c) A way to expose Dick as Freddie's murderer.
(d) His grandfather's diary.
3. What mesmerized King Canute as he was rowed past Ely?
(a) The singing of the swans in the fens.
(b) The chanting of the monks at the Ely monastery.
(c) The beauty of the girls washing laundry near the riverbank.
(d) The sound of the sea breeze as it rushed through the reeds.
4. What is the mother's reaction to the Cricks when they return the baby?
(a) She pretends that the baby isn't hers.
(b) She shouts for the police to arrest them.
(c) She assaults Mary and tries to scratch her eyes out.
(d) She ignores them and only has eyes for the baby.
5. What medical condition is Tom afraid that Mary might have?
(c) Bipolar disorder.
(d) Alzheimer's disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Tom Crick quote as saying, "we cannot step into the same river twice?"
2. When Tom and Mary take the baby back to the car, Tom is afraid that the silent baby is what?
3. How old is Mary when she steals the baby?
4. What tells Tom that he and Mary must finish their argument quickly because the park is about to close?
5. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)