|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 44.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Tom Crick quote as saying, "we cannot step into the same river twice?"
(a) Dionysius the Areopagite.
(b) Heraclitus of Ephesus.
2. What medical condition is Tom afraid that Mary might have?
(c) Bipolar disorder.
(d) Alzheimer's disease.
3. What do Tom and Mary hope will happen as they drive back to the supermarket to return the child?
(a) That the mother will have simply disappeared.
(b) That the mother will let them keep the child.
(c) That they can find the mother and return the child quietly.
(d) That the mother will not have noticed that the child has gone.
4. What does Dick do when he finds the bottle?
(a) He screams and later says he saw Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
(b) He hides it in a wooden chest with a lock in the attic.
(c) He ties it to the handle of his motorbike with a piece of string.
(d) He threatens Tom not to tell anyone about it or he will hurt Tom.
5. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
(a) The Thames.
(b) The Ouse.
(c) The Cam.
(d) The Tyne.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of chapter 44, Tom Crick decides that what people really want to know isn't truth. What they really want is...
2. What is the agreement between Helen and Ernest Atkinson in exchange for Ernest allowing Helen to marry Harry Crick?
3. Where does Tom put the bottle that he found drifting in the water after Freddie Parr's death?
4. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
5. What does Ernest Atkinson convert his manor Kessling Hall into?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)