|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 44.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mesmerized King Canute as he was rowed past Ely?
(a) The sound of the sea breeze as it rushed through the reeds.
(b) The chanting of the monks at the Ely monastery.
(c) The singing of the swans in the fens.
(d) The beauty of the girls washing laundry near the riverbank.
2. What medical condition is Tom afraid that Mary might have?
(b) Bipolar disorder.
(d) Alzheimer's disease.
3. What do Tom and Mary hope will happen as they drive back to the supermarket to return the child?
(a) That the mother will have simply disappeared.
(b) That the mother will let them keep the child.
(c) That they can find the mother and return the child quietly.
(d) That the mother will not have noticed that the child has gone.
4. What is the agreement between Helen and Ernest Atkinson in exchange for Ernest allowing Helen to marry Harry Crick?
(a) That Helen will find a way to assuage Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
(b) That Helen will help Ernest commit suicide.
(c) That Helen will have Ernest's child.
(d) That Helen will become a nurse at the Kessling Hall asylum.
5. What does Mary tell Tom that she does not tell the judge?
(a) That she didn't really hear a voice from God telling her to take the child.
(b) That she had seen the mother pinch the child angrily.
(c) That the mother had told her to take the child.
(d) That she had planned abducting the child for a long time.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mary when she steals the baby?
2. What does Dick do when he finds the bottle?
3. Who hunted in Greenwich Park, where Tom and Mary sit in the evenings with their dog?
4. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
5. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)