|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 44.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson convert his manor Kessling Hall into?
(a) A school for orphans.
(b) A museum in honor of Sarah Atkinson.
(c) A hospital for the wounded of World War I.
(d) An asylum for the mentally ill.
2. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
(a) The Tyne.
(b) The Thames.
(c) The Ouse.
(d) The Cam.
3. At the end of chapter 44, Tom Crick decides that what people really want to know isn't truth. What they really want is...
(a) To laugh at someone.
(b) To know that they're right.
(c) An excuse to hate.
4. What mesmerized King Canute as he was rowed past Ely?
(a) The beauty of the girls washing laundry near the riverbank.
(b) The singing of the swans in the fens.
(c) The chanting of the monks at the Ely monastery.
(d) The sound of the sea breeze as it rushed through the reeds.
5. What is the agreement between Helen and Ernest Atkinson in exchange for Ernest allowing Helen to marry Harry Crick?
(a) That Helen will help Ernest commit suicide.
(b) That Helen will become a nurse at the Kessling Hall asylum.
(c) That Helen will find a way to assuage Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
(d) That Helen will have Ernest's child.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tom and Mary take the baby back to the car, Tom is afraid that the silent baby is what?
2. What does Mary tell Tom that she does not tell the judge?
3. What is it that Tom decides he must find at all cost?
4. What medical condition is Tom afraid that Mary might have?
5. What is the mother's reaction to the Cricks when they return the baby?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)