|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 44.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson convert his manor Kessling Hall into?
(a) A museum in honor of Sarah Atkinson.
(b) An asylum for the mentally ill.
(c) A hospital for the wounded of World War I.
(d) A school for orphans.
2. What mesmerized King Canute as he was rowed past Ely?
(a) The beauty of the girls washing laundry near the riverbank.
(b) The singing of the swans in the fens.
(c) The chanting of the monks at the Ely monastery.
(d) The sound of the sea breeze as it rushed through the reeds.
3. What does Dick do when he finds the bottle?
(a) He threatens Tom not to tell anyone about it or he will hurt Tom.
(b) He screams and later says he saw Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
(c) He hides it in a wooden chest with a lock in the attic.
(d) He ties it to the handle of his motorbike with a piece of string.
4. What is the agreement between Helen and Ernest Atkinson in exchange for Ernest allowing Helen to marry Harry Crick?
(a) That Helen will help Ernest commit suicide.
(b) That Helen will have Ernest's child.
(c) That Helen will find a way to assuage Sarah Atkinson's ghost.
(d) That Helen will become a nurse at the Kessling Hall asylum.
5. What causes the soldiers at the 1915 Royal Cambrideshire Militia parade to stumble out of formation?
(a) Heckling by Ernest Atkinson.
(b) Helen Atkinson's beauty.
(c) The sound of a beer barge foghorn.
(d) Drinking Coronation Ale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tells Tom that he and Mary must finish their argument quickly because the park is about to close?
2. What is the River Tom Crick describes at great length to explain how the landscape of the novel's setting is formed?
3. At the end of chapter 44, Tom Crick decides that what people really want to know isn't truth. What they really want is...
4. What does Mary tell Tom that she does not tell the judge?
5. Who hunted in Greenwich Park, where Tom and Mary sit in the evenings with their dog?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)