|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was a nearly complete Neanderthal skeleton found in a cave in southern France?
2. When was the last known Javan rhino in Vietnam killed?
3. How much Denisovan DNA did contemporary New Guineans carry?
4. In Chapter 11, what did Suci weigh?
5. When were the first bats found that appeared to have been dipped in talcum powder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author describe One Tree Island?
2. How did Terry Erwin count beetles in the late 1970s?
3. Who was the first European to encounter the Great Barrier Reef, and how did he come across it?
4. What was interesting about the Alzatea verticillata tree?
5. In Chapter 10, what introduced species could the author see on her lawn?
6. What was Biosphere 2?
7. What did Suci eat at the zoo?
8. Where had Neanderthal bones been discovered after they were first discovered in Germany?
9. How were Silman's tree plots laid out?
10. What was the white powder found on bats and that seemed to be killing them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some scientists believe coral reefs may become extinct. What factors are threatening coral reefs and why might they not survive? Can anything be done to improve the chances of coral reefs surviving?
Essay Topic 2
Biosphere 2 was built to show how life could survive in a closed environment. What factors lead to the failure of Biosphere 2 and why couldn't the humans who lived there survive inside?
Essay Topic 3
Early in the 21st century, frogs began dying out in various areas. Why were frogs placed in sanctuaries at that time, and what factors make it impossible to release them back into the wild?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)