|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much Denisovan DNA did contemporary New Guineans carry?
2. How many species of birds were estimated to live in the entire world?
3. What did Ken Caldeira do before becoming an atmospheric scientists?
4. What was the gestation period for a Sumatran rhino?
5. How many people lived in Biosphere 2 for two years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the hobbits?
2. What was one bird species Cohn-Haft discovered through rigorous listening?
3. How did the author decide to go to One Tree?
4. In the 1950s, what led William Straus and Alexander Cave to believe that Neanderthals walked upright?
5. What was the Frozen Zoo?
6. Where did coral reefs grow?
7. How did the author describe the forest as they descended to Silman's tree plots in Chapter 8?
8. Why did Suci get an ultrasound in Chapter 11?
9. What was interesting about the Alzatea verticillata tree?
10. What are some theories for why the alala became extinct in the wild?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Alvarezes believed an asteroid caused the end of the Cretaceous period. What led the Alvarezes to believe an asteroid ended the Creataceous period and how did they go about proving their theory?
Essay Topic 2
A new name was proposed for the epoch of humans. What was the new name proposed and why was it more appropriate than other names that were considered?
Essay Topic 3
Scientists speculate about the future of the earth and humans and a Sixth Extinction. Was a Sixth Extinction inevitable or were there ways that a Sixth Extinction could be averted?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)