|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Darwin write to Anton Dohrn, founder of a marine biological station at Castello Aragonese?
2. On which edge of Castello Aragonese were the waters more or less unaffected by the vents?
3. When did Europeans begin making regular voyages to Newfoundland?
(a) 16th century.
(b) 17th century.
(c) 15th century.
(d) 18th century.
4. In what zoo did herpetologist Paul Crump work?
(a) Washington D.C.
(b) Kansas City.
5. Of the fossils collected by Kolbert at Dob's Linn, what letter did many of them resemble?
6. According to Paul Crutzen, how much of the earth had been transformed by human activity?
(b) About 1/4 to 1/3.
(c) Between 1/3 and 1/2.
7. What type of stone was in the jagged outcropping of Dob's Linn?
8. Where did Charles Lyell attend university?
9. Where was Walter Alvarez's father a physicist?
(c) University of California-Berkeley.
10. How long did the uniformitarian account of extinction hold up?
(a) More than a century.
(b) 115 years.
(c) 75 years.
(d) About 50 years.
11. When was the Alvarezes' paper "Extraterrestrial Cause for the Cretaceous-Tertiary Extinction" published?
12. How much did Icelanders pay in 1971 to buy the auk back?
(a) 2,000 British pounds.
(b) 15,000 British pounds.
(c) 10,000 British pounds.
(d) 5,000 British pounds.
13. Where did Charles Lyell grow up?
(b) South of England.
(d) North of England.
14. Where were the paleontologists from who published a study revealing not only the major five mass extinctions, but many lesser events?
(a) University of Michigan.
(b) University of Montana.
(c) University of Colorado.
(d) University of Chicago.
15. What did Luis Alvarez decide to use to clock the clay in Gola del Bottaccione?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many species found in the vent-free zone near Castello Aragonese, disappeared in the pH 7.8 zone?
2. What type of crystals did Zalasiewicz's colleagues hope to find at Dob's Linn?
3. How long a line did Armannsson use when he fished for cod?
4. What was Zalasiewicz's speciality?
5. What group did Condon and Millar, Zalasiewicz's colleagues, work for?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)