|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Walter Alvarez's father a physicist?
(c) University of California-Berkeley.
2. On which edge of Castello Aragonese were the waters more or less unaffected by the vents?
3. In what zoo did herpetologist Paul Crump work?
(a) Kansas City.
(b) Washington D.C.
4. How many eggs was it thought the great auk produced in a year?
5. Where did golden frogs lay their eggs?
(a) Shallow caves near creeks.
(b) Sand dunes.
(c) River banks.
(d) Shallow running water.
6. How many average-sized mice could be killed by the poison in the skin of one golden-frog?
7. Who first proposed that there had been five great mass extinctions during the history of life on Earth?
(a) Smythe and Brandenburg.
(b) Wake and Vredenburg.
(c) Roberts and Whitman.
(d) Andrews and Pierson.
8. When did paleontologists publish a study revealing not just the major five mass extinctions, but many lesser extinction events?
9. In Chapter 5, where was Luis Alvarez able to obtain rock samples?
10. When were the first mastodon bones discovered that were subjected to scientific study?
11. When was it difficult to avoid stepping on frogs in Sierra Nevada?
12. According to Paul Crutzen, how much of the earth had been transformed by human activity?
(b) Between 1/3 and 1/2.
(c) About 1/4 to 1/3.
13. During the end-Permian extinction, how much did scientists theorize the seas warmed?
(a) 50 degrees.
(b) 20 degrees.
(c) 70 degrees.
(d) 18 degrees.
14. How wide was a volcanic crater mentioned by the author in Chapter I?
(a) 2 feet.
(b) Nearly 5 feet.
(c) 3 feet.
(d) Almost 4 feet.
15. Where did Darwin pick up volume two of Lyell's work?
(a) Galapagos Islands.
(d) New Zealand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town about 100 miles north of Rome, might be described as a municipal fossil?
2. How old was Charles Darwin when he was invited to serve as a sort of gentleman's companion to the captain of the HMS "Beagle"?
3. What did Luis Alvarez decide to use to clock the clay in Gola del Bottaccione?
4. What size was a skeleton discovered west of Buenos Aires?
5. When did Cuvier give the "mastodonte" its name in a paper he published?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)