|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Antsy cannot go during the day to the supermarket to talk to the Night Butcher because the manager has banned him from the store for what reason?
2. How does Antsy say he will get home in Chapter 11, "The Youngest Doctor in Sheepshead Bay Gets Held Hostage When He Least Expects It"?
3. Antsy remembers the Schwa when what falls on the floor from his mother's recipe cards?
4. In Chapter 20, what do Antsy's parents ask when he arrives home?
5. What does Antsy's dad tell his family that Antsy's mother is going to start taking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Antsy realize there is no traffic on the expressway? What does this mean about the billboard?
2. What conversation takes place between Antsy and Lexie when he walks her home in Chapter 13?
3. How does the Schwa react to the Night Butcher's story in Chapter 19?
4. How are Crawley's fears relative to the Schwa?
5. What is the significance of "Radiation Therapy" in the title of Chapter 19?
6. Why does Antsy believe Crawley wants him to stay with him?
7. In what ways does the Schwa appear to fade from Antsy's life in Chapter 15?
8. What do Lexie and Antsy do in their second attempt to obtain information at the supermarket in Chapter 15?
9. What excitement does Antsy face when he goes to Crawley's in Chapter 11?
10. How is Manny Bullpucky a metaphorical representation of the Schwa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the symbolism and metaphor regarding Old Man Crawley's dogs. Why did Crawley choose to name the dogs after the seven sins and seven virtues? What do the dogs represent to Crawley and to others in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss "trauma therapy" in the novel. What does Antsy relate trauma therapy to in the medical world? What experiments do Antsy and his friends conduct to test trauma therapy? What results do they find?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the theme of growing up in the novel. What does "growing up" mean to you? How do the changes in Antsy represent this process? In what ways does the Schwa grow up in the novel? How does Lexie?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)