|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antsy take to Old Man Crawley's that was cooked by his father?
2. What does Old Man Crawley say his son wants to do in Chapter 11, "The Youngest Doctor in Sheepshead Bay Gets Held Hostage When He Least Expects It"?
3. Who does Old Man Crawley say is upset with Antsy in Chapter 11?
4. Whom does Antsy confide in about his worries of the Schwa in Chapter 15?
5. Who yells that an express train is coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Night Butcher reveal about the Schwa's mother in Chapter 19?
2. What do Lexie and Antsy do in their second attempt to obtain information at the supermarket in Chapter 15?
3. How does the Schwa describe his mother's disappearance in Chapter 14?
4. Where is Old Man Crawley taken in Chapter 17?
5. What does Antsy realize about his mother in Chapter 15?
6. What does Lexie demand at the restaurant in Chapter 12? What organization does she tell Antsy about?
7. How do Antsy and Lexie relate to one another as characters? How is this evidenced in Chapter 12?
8. Why does Antsy believe Crawley wants him to stay with him?
9. Whom does Antsy go to talk to at the supermarket in Chapter 16?
10. What does Old Man Crawley offer Antsy to stay with him in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the theme of abandonment in the novel. What has been the impact of the Schwa's mother's abandonment on the Schwa? How has it affected the Schwa's father? How does childhood abandonment affect a person psychologically?
Essay Topic 2
Define irony and discuss the irony in Chapter 18. What is ironic about the Schwa's billboard? What did the Schwa hope to achieve with renting the space? Why does this attempt fail? How does this represent a fundamental flaw in the Schwa's approach to life?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the first date between Antsy and the Schwa. In what ways are they compatible as a couple? How does their relationship develop in the course of the novel? How are the characteristics of both Lexie and Antsy contrasted to those of the Schwa?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)