|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the Schwa left when his mother disappeared?
2. Where does Antsy take the spiritual man he asks for help from in Chapter 15?
3. What was the next thing the Schwa remembered after being abandoned by his mother?
4. Where was the Schwa when his mother went missing?
5. What does Old Man Crawley say his son wants to do in Chapter 11, "The Youngest Doctor in Sheepshead Bay Gets Held Hostage When He Least Expects It"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the root of the Schwa's trauma in Chapter 18?
2. What is the significance of "Radiation Therapy" in the title of Chapter 19?
3. How does the Schwa discover Lexie and Antsy's relationship in Chapter 13?
4. How is Manny Bullpucky a metaphorical representation of the Schwa?
5. How does the Schwa react to the Night Butcher's story in Chapter 19?
6. How are Crawley's fears relative to the Schwa?
7. What does the Night Butcher reveal about the Schwa's mother in Chapter 19?
8. What does Antsy realize about his mother in Chapter 15?
9. What does Old Man Crawley offer Antsy to stay with him in the hospital?
10. Where is Old Man Crawley taken in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters Howie and Ira in the narrative. How long have Howie and Ira been friends with Antsy? What is the response of each to the arrival of the Schwa in their group? How does the relationship between these characters evolve from the beginning of the novel to the end?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the symbolism of Manny Bullpucky in the narrative. How destructible does Manny turn out to be? In what ways does Manny Bullpucky relate to the Schwa? How is this illustrated in Chapter 13?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the relationship between Lexie's blindness and the Schwa's invisibility. In what ways does Lexie treat the Schwa differently than the other characters? Why? What does Lexie represent symbolically to the Schwa? What does she represent to Antsy?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)