|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is just below Old Man Crawley's apartment?
2. Where do Antsy and Lexie go on their first date in the novel?
3. Whom does Antsy confide in about his worries of the Schwa in Chapter 15?
4. What does Lexie ask for at the restaurant in Chapter 12?
5. Why is there no traffic on the expressway in Chapter 18, "Larger Than Life, in Your Face, Undeniable Schwa"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Antsy believe Crawley wants him to stay with him?
2. Why does Antsy realize there is no traffic on the expressway? What does this mean about the billboard?
3. How are Crawley's fears relative to the Schwa?
4. What does Antsy's father announce at a family meeting in Chapter 13?
5. How does the Schwa discover Lexie and Antsy's relationship in Chapter 13?
6. What does Lexie demand at the restaurant in Chapter 12? What organization does she tell Antsy about?
7. How does the Schwa react to the Night Butcher's story in Chapter 19?
8. What does the Night Butcher reveal about the Schwa's mother in Chapter 19?
9. Whom does Antsy go to talk to at the supermarket in Chapter 16?
10. What does Lexie inform Antsy when she calls in Chapter 17? Whom does she suggest for him to call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss the narrative voice of the novel. In what person is the narrative related? In what tense? From whose perspective does the reader learn the events which take place? Who is the protagonist and is the protagonist the same person as the narrator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Calvin Schwa in the novel. How is the Schwa's character related to the phonetic symbol? What was the Schwa's family name upon arriving in America? What stories and rumors have been circulated in the novel regarding the Schwa's history? Are these rumors true or false?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Schwa effect in the novel. How literal is the invisibility of the Schwa? Who is able to overcome the Schwa effect? How does the Schwa feel about his effect on those around him?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)