|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lexie and Antsy tell the manager of the supermarket they are doing a report on in Chapter 15?
2. What had the Schwa's mother gone to get when she disappeared and never returned?
3. What does the Schwa show Antsy from the day his mother disappeared?
4. What words are on the billboard that the Schwa shows Antsy in Chapter 18?
5. Why is there no traffic on the expressway in Chapter 18, "Larger Than Life, in Your Face, Undeniable Schwa"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antsy discover upon returning home in Chapter 20?
2. What do Lexie and Antsy do in their second attempt to obtain information at the supermarket in Chapter 15?
3. What does the Night Butcher reveal about the Schwa's mother in Chapter 19?
4. In what ways does the Schwa appear to fade from Antsy's life in Chapter 15?
5. Whom does Antsy go to talk to at the supermarket in Chapter 16?
6. How are Crawley's fears relative to the Schwa?
7. Why does Antsy believe Crawley wants him to stay with him?
8. What does Lexie demand at the restaurant in Chapter 12? What organization does she tell Antsy about?
9. What does Lexie inform Antsy when she calls in Chapter 17? Whom does she suggest for him to call?
10. How is Manny Bullpucky a metaphorical representation of the Schwa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the symbolism of Manny Bullpucky in the narrative. How destructible does Manny turn out to be? In what ways does Manny Bullpucky relate to the Schwa? How is this illustrated in Chapter 13?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the theme of abandonment in the novel. What has been the impact of the Schwa's mother's abandonment on the Schwa? How has it affected the Schwa's father? How does childhood abandonment affect a person psychologically?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Antsy and the Schwa in the narrative. In what ways does Antsy feel similar to the Schwa? What characteristics define and separate him from the Schwa? How are these similarities and differences represented symbolically in the novel?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)