|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had the Schwa's mother gone to get when she disappeared and never returned?
2. What does the Schwa's father show him at the end of Chapter 20?
3. Where was the Schwa when his mother went missing?
4. Who yells that an express train is coming?
5. The Schwa tells Antsy that he stopped working for ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Old Man Crawley give for the Schwa?
2. What does Antsy's father announce at a family meeting in Chapter 13?
3. What do Lexie and Antsy do in their second attempt to obtain information at the supermarket in Chapter 15?
4. Why does Antsy believe Crawley wants him to stay with him?
5. How is Manny Bullpucky a metaphorical representation of the Schwa?
6. Where is Old Man Crawley taken in Chapter 17?
7. What excitement does Antsy face when he goes to Crawley's in Chapter 11?
8. How does the Schwa react to the Night Butcher's story in Chapter 19?
9. How does the Schwa discover Lexie and Antsy's relationship in Chapter 13?
10. How is Manny Bullpucky's head recovered in Chapter 13? What are the boys' plans for it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the relationship between Lexie's blindness and the Schwa's invisibility. In what ways does Lexie treat the Schwa differently than the other characters? Why? What does Lexie represent symbolically to the Schwa? What does she represent to Antsy?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the first date between Antsy and the Schwa. In what ways are they compatible as a couple? How does their relationship develop in the course of the novel? How are the characteristics of both Lexie and Antsy contrasted to those of the Schwa?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Antsy and the Schwa in the narrative. In what ways does Antsy feel similar to the Schwa? What characteristics define and separate him from the Schwa? How are these similarities and differences represented symbolically in the novel?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)