|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the club that Lexie tells Antsy she is a member of do in Chapter 12?
2. What does Antsy's dad tell his family that Antsy's mother is going to start taking?
3. Who does Antsy believe will be upset when Lexie kisses him?
4. In what section of a work of literature is basic internal conflict complicated by the introduction of related secondary conflicts and obstacles that frustrate the protagonist's attempt to reach his goal?
5. What is outside Antsy's house when he arrives in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Schwa react to the Night Butcher's story in Chapter 19?
2. What does Lexie demand at the restaurant in Chapter 12? What organization does she tell Antsy about?
3. What advice does Old Man Crawley give for the Schwa?
4. How does the Schwa describe his mother's disappearance in Chapter 14?
5. What does Old Man Crawley offer Antsy to stay with him in the hospital?
6. Why does Antsy realize there is no traffic on the expressway? What does this mean about the billboard?
7. What does Lexie inform Antsy when she calls in Chapter 17? Whom does she suggest for him to call?
8. What conversation takes place between Antsy and Lexie when he walks her home in Chapter 13?
9. What does Antsy's father announce at a family meeting in Chapter 13?
10. What is the root of the Schwa's trauma in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the plot structure of The Schwa Was Here. Where does the exposition take place and what is revealed? When does the rising action transition into the climax? What is the outcome in the denouement? How traditional is this plot structure?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the experiments conducted by Antsy and his friends on the Schwa effect. What is the first experiment they conduct and what results do they find? What is found in the second and third experiments? What are the attributes of invisibility discovered by the boys?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Antsy's parents. What is at the root of their constant bickering? What causes their climactic argument in Chapter 10? How does Antsy feel about each of his parents?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)