|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the Schwa find waiting up for him in Chapter 20?
2. When the Schwa hears the Night Butcher's story in Chapter 19, he is first shocked and then __________.
3. What name is given to a spiritual man who uses metal rods to find the presence of water and spirits?
4. Whom does Old Man Crawley insist ride with him in the ambulance?
5. Whom does Antsy call from the hospital in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of "Radiation Therapy" in the title of Chapter 19?
2. How are Crawley's fears relative to the Schwa?
3. How do Antsy and Lexie relate to one another as characters? How is this evidenced in Chapter 12?
4. What does Antsy realize about his mother in Chapter 15?
5. Whom does Antsy go to talk to at the supermarket in Chapter 16?
6. How is Manny Bullpucky's head recovered in Chapter 13? What are the boys' plans for it?
7. What conversation takes place between Antsy and Lexie when he walks her home in Chapter 13?
8. How does the Schwa discover Lexie and Antsy's relationship in Chapter 13?
9. What does Lexie inform Antsy when she calls in Chapter 17? Whom does she suggest for him to call?
10. Why does Antsy believe Crawley wants him to stay with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters Howie and Ira in the narrative. How long have Howie and Ira been friends with Antsy? What is the response of each to the arrival of the Schwa in their group? How does the relationship between these characters evolve from the beginning of the novel to the end?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characters of Antsy's parents. What is at the root of their constant bickering? What causes their climactic argument in Chapter 10? How does Antsy feel about each of his parents?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the relationship between Lexie's blindness and the Schwa's invisibility. In what ways does Lexie treat the Schwa differently than the other characters? Why? What does Lexie represent symbolically to the Schwa? What does she represent to Antsy?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)