|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antsy take to Old Man Crawley's that was cooked by his father?
2. Antsy tries to persuade the Schwa that he will not ___________ someday, but the Schwa does not believe him.
3. What does Old Man Crawley say his son wants to do in Chapter 11, "The Youngest Doctor in Sheepshead Bay Gets Held Hostage When He Least Expects It"?
4. What do Antsy and his friends decide to do with the plastic dummy in order to test it?
5. In what section of a work of literature is basic internal conflict complicated by the introduction of related secondary conflicts and obstacles that frustrate the protagonist's attempt to reach his goal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Old Man Crawley offer Antsy to stay with him in the hospital?
2. How does the Schwa describe his mother's disappearance in Chapter 14?
3. What is the significance of "Radiation Therapy" in the title of Chapter 19?
4. Why does Antsy believe Crawley wants him to stay with him?
5. What does Antsy realize about his mother in Chapter 15?
6. What does Antsy discover upon returning home in Chapter 20?
7. What does Antsy's father announce at a family meeting in Chapter 13?
8. What conversation takes place between Antsy and Lexie when he walks her home in Chapter 13?
9. What do Lexie and Antsy do in their second attempt to obtain information at the supermarket in Chapter 15?
10. How do Antsy and Lexie relate to one another as characters? How is this evidenced in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the first date between Antsy and the Schwa. In what ways are they compatible as a couple? How does their relationship develop in the course of the novel? How are the characteristics of both Lexie and Antsy contrasted to those of the Schwa?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the experiments conducted by Antsy and his friends on the Schwa effect. What is the first experiment they conduct and what results do they find? What is found in the second and third experiments? What are the attributes of invisibility discovered by the boys?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the plot structure of The Schwa Was Here. Where does the exposition take place and what is revealed? When does the rising action transition into the climax? What is the outcome in the denouement? How traditional is this plot structure?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)