|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antsy tell his mother while helping her cook in Chapter 15?
2. When the Schwa returns home, whom does he ask about?
3. What had the Schwa's mother gone to get when she disappeared and never returned?
4. What does the Night Butcher tell Antsy when he speaks to him?
5. What is the name of the establishment from which the Schwa's mother disappeared?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Antsy and the Schwa in the narrative. In what ways does Antsy feel similar to the Schwa? What characteristics define and separate him from the Schwa? How are these similarities and differences represented symbolically in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the relationship between Lexie's blindness and the Schwa's invisibility. In what ways does Lexie treat the Schwa differently than the other characters? Why? What does Lexie represent symbolically to the Schwa? What does she represent to Antsy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the theme of abandonment in the novel. What has been the impact of the Schwa's mother's abandonment on the Schwa? How has it affected the Schwa's father? How does childhood abandonment affect a person psychologically?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)