|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the establishment from which the Schwa's mother disappeared?
2. Where does Antsy take the spiritual man he asks for help from in Chapter 15?
3. What does Antsy tell his mother while helping her cook in Chapter 15?
4. Whom does the Schwa find waiting up for him in Chapter 20?
5. How do Antsy and the Schwa travel to an abandoned part of the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Old Man Crawley offer Antsy to stay with him in the hospital?
2. What does Antsy discover upon returning home in Chapter 20?
3. What do Antsy and Lexie set to find out in Chapter 15?
4. How is Manny Bullpucky's head recovered in Chapter 13? What are the boys' plans for it?
5. What does Antsy realize about his mother in Chapter 15?
6. What excitement does Antsy face when he goes to Crawley's in Chapter 11?
7. What does Lexie inform Antsy when she calls in Chapter 17? Whom does she suggest for him to call?
8. What is the significance of "Radiation Therapy" in the title of Chapter 19?
9. What does Lexie demand at the restaurant in Chapter 12? What organization does she tell Antsy about?
10. In what ways does the Schwa appear to fade from Antsy's life in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the relationship between Lexie's blindness and the Schwa's invisibility. In what ways does Lexie treat the Schwa differently than the other characters? Why? What does Lexie represent symbolically to the Schwa? What does she represent to Antsy?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Schwa effect in the novel. How literal is the invisibility of the Schwa? Who is able to overcome the Schwa effect? How does the Schwa feel about his effect on those around him?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Antsy and the Schwa in the narrative. In what ways does Antsy feel similar to the Schwa? What characteristics define and separate him from the Schwa? How are these similarities and differences represented symbolically in the novel?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)