|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
2. What was the next thing the Schwa remembered after being abandoned by his mother?
3. What does Antsy's dad tell his family that Antsy's mother is going to start taking?
4. Where does the Schwa take Antsy in the abandoned part of the city?
5. Who answers the door anxiously when Antsy goes to Crawley's apartment to walk the dogs in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Antsy and Lexie relate to one another as characters? How is this evidenced in Chapter 12?
2. What conversation takes place between Antsy and Lexie when he walks her home in Chapter 13?
3. What does Lexie demand at the restaurant in Chapter 12? What organization does she tell Antsy about?
4. What does Old Man Crawley offer Antsy to stay with him in the hospital?
5. What does the Night Butcher reveal about the Schwa's mother in Chapter 19?
6. Where is Old Man Crawley taken in Chapter 17?
7. What does Antsy realize about his mother in Chapter 15?
8. How does the Schwa discover Lexie and Antsy's relationship in Chapter 13?
9. Why does Antsy believe Crawley wants him to stay with him?
10. Why does Antsy realize there is no traffic on the expressway? What does this mean about the billboard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters Howie and Ira in the narrative. How long have Howie and Ira been friends with Antsy? What is the response of each to the arrival of the Schwa in their group? How does the relationship between these characters evolve from the beginning of the novel to the end?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Schwa effect in the novel. How literal is the invisibility of the Schwa? Who is able to overcome the Schwa effect? How does the Schwa feel about his effect on those around him?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the plot structure of The Schwa Was Here. Where does the exposition take place and what is revealed? When does the rising action transition into the climax? What is the outcome in the denouement? How traditional is this plot structure?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)