|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a result of Frankie's actions, his driver's license is revoked for how long?
2. What has Frankie gotten in trouble for in Chapter 20?
3. Antsy tries to persuade the Schwa that he will not ___________ someday, but the Schwa does not believe him.
4. What name is given to a spiritual man who uses metal rods to find the presence of water and spirits?
5. What do Lexie and Antsy tell the manager of the supermarket they are doing a report on in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lexie demand at the restaurant in Chapter 12? What organization does she tell Antsy about?
2. What is the significance of "Radiation Therapy" in the title of Chapter 19?
3. Whom does Antsy go to talk to at the supermarket in Chapter 16?
4. Why does Antsy realize there is no traffic on the expressway? What does this mean about the billboard?
5. How do Antsy and Lexie relate to one another as characters? How is this evidenced in Chapter 12?
6. What conversation takes place between Antsy and Lexie when he walks her home in Chapter 13?
7. What does Lexie inform Antsy when she calls in Chapter 17? Whom does she suggest for him to call?
8. How does the Schwa describe his mother's disappearance in Chapter 14?
9. What excitement does Antsy face when he goes to Crawley's in Chapter 11?
10. What do Lexie and Antsy do in their second attempt to obtain information at the supermarket in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss "trauma therapy" in the novel. What does Antsy relate trauma therapy to in the medical world? What experiments do Antsy and his friends conduct to test trauma therapy? What results do they find?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss the narrative voice of the novel. In what person is the narrative related? In what tense? From whose perspective does the reader learn the events which take place? Who is the protagonist and is the protagonist the same person as the narrator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Calvin Schwa in the novel. How is the Schwa's character related to the phonetic symbol? What was the Schwa's family name upon arriving in America? What stories and rumors have been circulated in the novel regarding the Schwa's history? Are these rumors true or false?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)