|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
2. What is just below Old Man Crawley's apartment?
3. Who does Antsy believe will be upset when Lexie kisses him?
4. Whom does Old Man Crawley insist ride with him in the ambulance?
5. What does Lexie ask for at the restaurant in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Schwa discover Lexie and Antsy's relationship in Chapter 13?
2. What does Old Man Crawley offer Antsy to stay with him in the hospital?
3. In what ways does the Schwa appear to fade from Antsy's life in Chapter 15?
4. What does Antsy's father announce at a family meeting in Chapter 13?
5. What conversation takes place between Antsy and Lexie when he walks her home in Chapter 13?
6. What advice does Old Man Crawley give for the Schwa?
7. Whom does Antsy go to talk to at the supermarket in Chapter 16?
8. What does Antsy realize about his mother in Chapter 15?
9. What does Lexie inform Antsy when she calls in Chapter 17? Whom does she suggest for him to call?
10. How are Crawley's fears relative to the Schwa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the first date between Antsy and the Schwa. In what ways are they compatible as a couple? How does their relationship develop in the course of the novel? How are the characteristics of both Lexie and Antsy contrasted to those of the Schwa?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the plot structure of The Schwa Was Here. Where does the exposition take place and what is revealed? When does the rising action transition into the climax? What is the outcome in the denouement? How traditional is this plot structure?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the symbolism of Manny Bullpucky in the narrative. How destructible does Manny turn out to be? In what ways does Manny Bullpucky relate to the Schwa? How is this illustrated in Chapter 13?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)