|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Schwa take Antsy in the abandoned part of the city?
2. The Schwa tells Antsy that he stopped working for ___________.
3. In Chapter 17, Lexie calls Antsy early in the morning to tell him that she has __________ planned for her grandfather.
4. What do Lexie and Antsy tell the manager of the supermarket they are doing a report on in Chapter 15?
5. Whom does Lexie tell Antsy to call and invite along in the morning in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antsy's father announce at a family meeting in Chapter 13?
2. What does Lexie demand at the restaurant in Chapter 12? What organization does she tell Antsy about?
3. Whom does Antsy go to talk to at the supermarket in Chapter 16?
4. What does Lexie inform Antsy when she calls in Chapter 17? Whom does she suggest for him to call?
5. What advice does Old Man Crawley give for the Schwa?
6. What do Lexie and Antsy do in their second attempt to obtain information at the supermarket in Chapter 15?
7. What is the root of the Schwa's trauma in Chapter 18?
8. Why does Antsy believe Crawley wants him to stay with him?
9. How are Crawley's fears relative to the Schwa?
10. What does Antsy realize about his mother in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss "trauma therapy" in the novel. What does Antsy relate trauma therapy to in the medical world? What experiments do Antsy and his friends conduct to test trauma therapy? What results do they find?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the plot structure of The Schwa Was Here. Where does the exposition take place and what is revealed? When does the rising action transition into the climax? What is the outcome in the denouement? How traditional is this plot structure?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the theme of abandonment in the novel. What has been the impact of the Schwa's mother's abandonment on the Schwa? How has it affected the Schwa's father? How does childhood abandonment affect a person psychologically?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)