|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is there no traffic on the expressway in Chapter 18, "Larger Than Life, in Your Face, Undeniable Schwa"?
2. In Chapter 20, what do Antsy's parents ask when he arrives home?
3. Whom does Antsy confide in about his worries of the Schwa in Chapter 15?
4. In Chapter 17, Lexie calls Antsy early in the morning to tell him that she has __________ planned for her grandfather.
5. What is the name of Lexie's guide dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the root of the Schwa's trauma in Chapter 18?
2. What does Antsy discover upon returning home in Chapter 20?
3. Why does Antsy realize there is no traffic on the expressway? What does this mean about the billboard?
4. Whom does Antsy go to talk to at the supermarket in Chapter 16?
5. What does Antsy realize about his mother in Chapter 15?
6. What does Lexie demand at the restaurant in Chapter 12? What organization does she tell Antsy about?
7. Why does Antsy believe Crawley wants him to stay with him?
8. How are Crawley's fears relative to the Schwa?
9. How does the Schwa react to the Night Butcher's story in Chapter 19?
10. How does the Schwa discover Lexie and Antsy's relationship in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the symbolism and meaning of the Schwa's paperclip collection. From where are the paperclips gathered? When did the Schwa begin collecting paperclips? What do the paperclips represent to Antsy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the development of Old Man Crawley's character and his relationship with Antsy in the novel. How does Crawley's character evolve from the beginning of the novel to the end? What precipitates this change in him? In what ways does Crawley express admiration for Antsy?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the first date between Antsy and the Schwa. In what ways are they compatible as a couple? How does their relationship develop in the course of the novel? How are the characteristics of both Lexie and Antsy contrasted to those of the Schwa?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)