|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
2. In Chapter 17, Lexie calls Antsy early in the morning to tell him that she has __________ planned for her grandfather.
3. Who does Old Man Crawley say is upset with Antsy in Chapter 11?
4. In what section of a work of literature is basic internal conflict complicated by the introduction of related secondary conflicts and obstacles that frustrate the protagonist's attempt to reach his goal?
5. The manager of the supermarket tells Lexie and Antsy that he remembers a child being abandoned but not ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antsy's father announce at a family meeting in Chapter 13?
2. How does the Schwa describe his mother's disappearance in Chapter 14?
3. What does Antsy discover upon returning home in Chapter 20?
4. Whom does Antsy go to talk to at the supermarket in Chapter 16?
5. What conversation takes place between Antsy and Lexie when he walks her home in Chapter 13?
6. Why does Antsy realize there is no traffic on the expressway? What does this mean about the billboard?
7. What is the root of the Schwa's trauma in Chapter 18?
8. How does the Schwa discover Lexie and Antsy's relationship in Chapter 13?
9. How are Crawley's fears relative to the Schwa?
10. How does the Schwa react to the Night Butcher's story in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Antsy and the Schwa in the narrative. In what ways does Antsy feel similar to the Schwa? What characteristics define and separate him from the Schwa? How are these similarities and differences represented symbolically in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characters of Antsy's parents. What is at the root of their constant bickering? What causes their climactic argument in Chapter 10? How does Antsy feel about each of his parents?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the plot structure of The Schwa Was Here. Where does the exposition take place and what is revealed? When does the rising action transition into the climax? What is the outcome in the denouement? How traditional is this plot structure?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)