|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In theory, India was supposed to be maintained as a ______ order, and many saw the integration as a cultural statement.
2. Europeans responded to the changes by ______ some of the practices and leaving others alone.
3. The book states that blacks were taught ______ through monarchical traditions.
4. There were several ideas for merging the two cultures ritually. One of the experiments had to do with using the anthem "God Save the _____".
5. According to the author, the British ruled through the ______ emperor, but due to differences in culture, British prestige was difficult to maintain.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Indian Mutiny and what it meant for the British as well as for the Indians in that time period.
2. Who were the groups of people that mainly imported ideologies that would be used in Africa?
3. How did the Europeans began to create the idea that gentility was respectable?
4. What happened as a result of the African empires coming so late, according to the book?
5. What were some of the functions the British East India Company was performing when they were first in India?
6. What does the book say is dynamic and can change meanings even if the words never change?
7. By looking at the ten aspects of rituals, what does David Cannadine believe can be uncovered?
8. How could the whites who colonized parts of Africa be described, according to the book?
9. From 1918 to the time of Queen Elizabeth's coronation, what did the British believe about themselves?
10. What did the nineteenth century English elites begin to think of the monarchy during that time period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tradition is an idea that is brought into all aspects of life, not just family life.
Part 1: How is tradition an important part of business?
Part 2: Why does tradition matter within the family setting and experience?
Part 3: Do you think that tradition has a place in all areas of life? If not, where does tradition not assist or support in some way?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of the patriarchy began as a tradition as well, inventing the idea that men were somehow superior to women.
Part 1: Do you think that any gender is more powerful than another?
Part 2: How do you think men and women should coexist in society?
Part 3: Why do you think men were considered to be the more powerful of the two genders?
Essay Topic 3
Many in England began to frown upon the idea of the pomp and circumstance that surrounds the monarchy.
Part 1: Do you think that pomp and circumstance have their place in society?
Part 2: Why do you think some people feel that higher positions should not be as formal?
Part 3: How do you feel about the idea of the monarchy being above other classes and citizens?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)