|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author claims that ______ was not well suited for royal ceremonies because many buildings were symbols of the wealth and power of the merchant class.
2. The author refers to all of the following grand ceremonies during the second period except _______.
3. The official sanction of the Empress of India was established by the _______ of 1876.
4. One process the Europeans used was to spread the norms of _______ and attach them to various occupations.
5. According to the book, royal ceremonials may have been an expression of national _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the cultural system spread in Africa, according to the book?
2. By looking at the ten aspects of rituals, what does David Cannadine believe can be uncovered?
3. From 1918 to the time of Queen Elizabeth's coronation, what did the British believe about themselves?
4. What were some of the functions the British East India Company was performing when they were first in India?
5. How could the whites who colonized parts of Africa be described, according to the book?
6. What was the first stage of the British monarchy that occurred between the 1820s and the 1870s, according to the book.?
7. How was the ceremony that incorporated India into Britain used?
8. How did the Europeans began to create the idea that gentility was respectable?
9. What does the book say is dynamic and can change meanings even if the words never change?
10. What happened as a result of the African empires coming so late, according to the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many tourists to Wales began to notice that the Welsh didn't have a particular style of dress they would wear.
Part 1: Why do you think the Welsh didn't have a particular style of dress?
Part 2: Do you feel you have a particular style of dress that is in line with the cultural traditions?
Part 3: How do you think a country or city might become defined by the way they dress?
Essay Topic 2
According to the book, the Scotsmen of today use symbols that were invented and created into traditions much earlier than is thought by most people.
Part 1: Why do you think the Scot society needed to create invented traditions?
Part 2: Does the idea of invented traditions make them any less powerful?
Part 3: Do you think these traditions should be removed from the society?
Essay Topic 3
In many cases, the invented traditions were proliferated by societies in order to increase their validity.
Part 1: Do you think that invented traditions are being spread today?
Part 2: Why do you think it was important for certain groups to push for certain traditions?
Part 3: How might you push your own agenda if you wanted a certain tradition to become the normal way of life?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)