|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______ decided that Welsh culture should be preserved and helped develop the invention of a tradition.
2. The Highland Society had many aims including the repeal of laws forbidding _______ in Scotland.
3. One of the societies dedicated to preserving Welsh culture was known as the Society of Sea ________.
4. The invented traditions referred to in question 17 include all of the following types except _______.
5. In the middle of the nineteenth century a book called the _______ of the Clans was written that reinforced the myth.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the invented concepts of which more sense can be made by the study of invented traditions?
2. What did the Highland Society of London have the power to repeal, according to the book?
3. What happened as a result of a loss of cultural self confidence, according to the book?
4. What are two of the most common symbols that are associated with the Scotsmen society?
5. What was the basic type of invented tradition, according to the writer in the book?
6. What are the three stages of the Highland tradition's creation?
7. What did James Macpherson do in order to help invent the history of the Scottish people?
8. What helps to produce the invented tradition of the kilt within the Scottish mythology?
9. What did the oldest part of the history say about the Welsh and the people of Wales?
10. What are the three different types of invented traditions, according to the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Welsh decided to invent their own history in order to redeem themselves in the eyes of the world.
Part 1: Why do you think the Welsh needed to redeem themselves? Is this the truth?
Part 2: How do you think the Welsh could have revived their own culture without dipping into anyone else's for ideas?
Part 3: Do you think any less of the Welsh, now that you know the source of some of their history?
Essay Topic 2
Nostalgia seems to be interwoven with the idea of tradition. That is, people who long for the past will honor traditions more readily.
Part 1: How might you define the idea of nostalgia today?
Part 2: Why do you think many people long to be a part of the past instead of looking toward the future?
Part 3: Are there some people who are more likely to be nostalgic than others? Who might these people include?
Essay Topic 3
Over time, the ritual that is a part of the monarchy began to seem splendid to the modern day person.
Part 1: What are some of the benefits of monarchy rituals?
Part 2: Do you think that rituals are a part of every form of government?
Part 3: Why do you think linking the past leaders to the present leaders helps to create a sense of community?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)