|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Welsh Societies were created to promote all things Welsh and were first set up by _______ Welshman.
2. The Highland garb adopted by the regiments would be used to invent the tradition of ______ dress.
3. In 1773, _______ of Balenau published a book of medieval Welsh poetry that revived interest in the Welsh language.
4. The author also believes that new invented traditions have practices that are _______, like saying the American pledge of allegiance.
5. After the victory at ______ , the English made several moves to destroy the Highland way of life.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three different types of invented traditions, according to the book?
2. What specific group of leaders began to struggle to maintain Welsh culture, according to the book?
3. What are two of the general values that new invented traditions tend to inculcate, according to the book?
4. What did Welsh scholars and patriots rediscover about their past as they began to notice interest declining?
5. What was abandoned during the time of the Welsh cultural decay, causing more troubles?
6. What happened as a result of a loss of cultural self confidence, according to the book?
7. How does the author use the term 'invented tradition' in this manuscript?
8. What are the three stages of the Highland tradition's creation?
9. Where were the Highland regiments fighting when they took on the wearing of the kilt?
10. What is the difference between traditions, customs, and routines, according to the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many books were published that sought to reinforce the false traditions, and few questioned the books' content.
Part 1: Why do you think no one thought to check the facts of these books on tradition?
Part 2: Do you accept that certain traditions in your family are valid? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the society might have responded if it was found out early that The Costume of the Clans was not accurate?
Essay Topic 2
Nostalgia seems to be interwoven with the idea of tradition. That is, people who long for the past will honor traditions more readily.
Part 1: How might you define the idea of nostalgia today?
Part 2: Why do you think many people long to be a part of the past instead of looking toward the future?
Part 3: Are there some people who are more likely to be nostalgic than others? Who might these people include?
Essay Topic 3
The preservation of Welsh traditions caused many groups to fight actively for the cause.
Part 1: What happens to a culture that is preserved by modern day citizens?
Part 2: What happens to a culture whose traditions simply die out and fade away?
Part 3: Do you think it's important to preserve all traditions in a society?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)