|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the late _______ the Almanack Eisteddfodau was associated with Welsh societies and had greater public impact than before.
2. According to the book, the Highland culture was created in _______ distinct stages, the first occurring in the eighteenth century.
3. Both books were written by the same authors, known as the _____ Stuarts.
4. A number of _______ including Iolo Morganwg became interested in the old Druid practices.
5. The druids were a major part of the Welsh culture and were rediscovered during the time of the _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the basic type of invented tradition, according to the writer in the book?
2. What was the story that was told about the Welsh in relation to Christianity and to the pagans?
3. When and why did the most common symbols of the Scotsmen develop, according to the book?
4. What are the three different types of invented traditions, according to the book?
5. Why should historians be more aware of the tradition phenomena that occurs in modern society?
6. Who does the book uncover the Scots to be, unlike what many people today think of the Scottish people?
7. What specific group of leaders began to struggle to maintain Welsh culture, according to the book?
8. What are two of the general values that new invented traditions tend to inculcate, according to the book?
9. How does the author use the term 'invented tradition' in this manuscript?
10. What did the Highland Society of London have the power to repeal, according to the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the book, the Scotsmen of today use symbols that were invented and created into traditions much earlier than is thought by most people.
Part 1: Why do you think the Scot society needed to create invented traditions?
Part 2: Does the idea of invented traditions make them any less powerful?
Part 3: Do you think these traditions should be removed from the society?
Essay Topic 2
The Welsh decided to invent their own history in order to redeem themselves in the eyes of the world.
Part 1: Why do you think the Welsh needed to redeem themselves? Is this the truth?
Part 2: How do you think the Welsh could have revived their own culture without dipping into anyone else's for ideas?
Part 3: Do you think any less of the Welsh, now that you know the source of some of their history?
Essay Topic 3
Many tourists to Wales began to notice that the Welsh didn't have a particular style of dress they would wear.
Part 1: Why do you think the Welsh didn't have a particular style of dress?
Part 2: Do you feel you have a particular style of dress that is in line with the cultural traditions?
Part 3: How do you think a country or city might become defined by the way they dress?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)