|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author asserts that one of the factors that made the book so powerful was(were) the _______.
2. The Highland garb adopted by the regiments would be used to invent the tradition of ______ dress.
3. The druids were a major part of the Welsh culture and were rediscovered during the time of the _________.
4. The old Welsh histories followed the lives of each of the Welsh _______ and their lineage and descendants.
5. The Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge collected Welsh ______ in order to preserve the culture.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Welsh scholars and patriots rediscover about their past as they began to notice interest declining?
2. What does the author mean in this manuscript when he says that traditions have tacit rules?
3. What was the basic type of invented tradition, according to the writer in the book?
4. What did the oldest part of the history say about the Welsh and the people of Wales?
5. What was the story that was told about the Welsh in relation to Christianity and to the pagans?
6. What are the invented concepts of which more sense can be made by the study of invented traditions?
7. What is the name of the well-written and powerful work about the Scotsmen that contains many colorful illustrations?
8. What are the three aspects of invented tradition that serve to keep it in place, according to this manuscript?
9. Where can exceptions to traditions be found, though some traditions have filled in the space abandoned by secular decline?
10. What specific group of leaders began to struggle to maintain Welsh culture, according to the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many cases, the invented traditions were proliferated by societies in order to increase their validity.
Part 1: Do you think that invented traditions are being spread today?
Part 2: Why do you think it was important for certain groups to push for certain traditions?
Part 3: How might you push your own agenda if you wanted a certain tradition to become the normal way of life?
Essay Topic 2
Many books were published that sought to reinforce the false traditions, and few questioned the books' content.
Part 1: Why do you think no one thought to check the facts of these books on tradition?
Part 2: Do you accept that certain traditions in your family are valid? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the society might have responded if it was found out early that The Costume of the Clans was not accurate?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of an invented tradition might be new to you, since this is something which is rarely discussed.
Part 1: Do you agree that some traditions are invented?
Part 2: How do you feel about the idea that some traditions that are held sacred were invented for less than positive reasons?
Part 3: Why do you think invented traditions continue to be born today?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)