|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Invention of Tradition, The Highland Tradition of Scotland.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author also believes that new invented traditions have practices that are _______, like saying the American pledge of allegiance.
2. The people of the Highlands are known as a _______ society.
3. According to the book, the minister of ______ wrote a Critical Dissertation, in which he provided the context for Macpherson's transposed locations.
4. The author claims that the Scots were merely ______ invaders from the fifth century and the Scottish culture was a crude imitation of the invaders.
5. In the early nineteenth century the Celtic Society of ______ was founded and pushed the Highland cause.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hobsbawm believes that many institutions had to reinvent themselves including all of the following except ________.
2. Hobsbawm claims that Sir Walter Scott and _______ promoted the Highland takeover.
3. The author claims that the Highland regiments fighting in _______ and the U.S. adopted the Highland garb.
4. The author asserts that one of the factors that made the book so powerful was(were) the _______.
5. According to the book, the notion of a distinct Highland culture is a myth that did not exist prior to the _______ century.
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)