|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The actor's work is never for _______, yet always is for one."
2. Within a constrained time allotted for rehearsal, what cannot occur, according to the author?
3. The author claims that a "true symbol" is what?
4. According to the author, "to imitate the externals of acting only perpetuates" what?
5. What is the Haitian voodoo priest called?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does boringness contribute to people attending Deadly Theatre?
2. What does the author say about New York theatre and its economic focus?
3. How is "The Happening" similar to the Haitian voodoo ritual?
4. What metaphor does the author use for the theatre in the first section of the book, and what is his meaning?
5. What does the author say in regard to replication and manner in the Deadly Theatre?
6. What is "The Happening," and what difficulty does it pose?
7. What are the director's principle responsibilities in the process of creating/producing theatre?
8. What has happened to "ritual" in today's culture, as described by the author?
9. What does the author say in discussing the removal of the symbolic curtain in the theatre?
10. Describe the qualities which contribute to Deadly Theatre.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the playwright's role in the theatre? How is his/her role considered one of the most difficult within the creative process?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the playwright/theorist/director, Bertolt Brecht. What innovations to the theatre did this figure create? How is he the most influential writer of the contemporary stage?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the playwright Samuel Beckett. What styles do his works embody? How is he a contributor to Holy Theatre?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)