|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Grotowski's theory, "the act of performance is an act of" what?
2. Who told the author, "My search is based on the director and the actor. You base yours on the director, actor, audience. I accept that this is possible, but for me it is too indirect"?
3. The author points out that the best dramatists explain themselves how (regarding stage direction)?
4. The author writes that "the theatre of the Absurd did not seek the ____ for its own sake."
5. What does the author refer to Meyerhold's experiments as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the theory and concept behind "Theatre of Cruelty?"
2. What is a "deadly" actor, and what contributes to this?
3. What has happened to "ritual" in today's culture, as described by the author?
4. What does the author say about New York theatre and its economic focus?
5. What role does the critic play in the world of theatre?
6. How does "change" relate to the theatre and its success?
7. What does the author say in regard to replication and manner in the Deadly Theatre?
8. What does the author say of Artaud's contribution to "The Holy Theatre"?
9. How does boringness contribute to people attending Deadly Theatre?
10. How is "The Happening" similar to the Haitian voodoo ritual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Polish director, Jerzy Grotowski's contribution to theatre practice, technique and philosophy? What are the practical elements of his craft?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "The Deadly Theatre." What does this term mean? How can we learn something from Deadly Theatre? What are the components of Deadly Theatre?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "The Holy Theatre." What does this term mean? How is Holy Theatre achieved? What are its principle elements and concerns?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)