|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Occasion, Event, Happening--the words are..." what?
2. In regard to music, the author says we may make a personality cult of whom?
3. Which production does the author refer to in Paris which was a flop, so they offered three free performances?
4. Whose "theatre is as close as anyone has got to Artaud's ideal"?
5. In France, there are how many deadly ways of playing classical tragedy, according to the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "The Living Theatre"?
2. What is the theory and concept behind "Theatre of Cruelty?"
3. How is "The Happening" similar to the Haitian voodoo ritual?
4. What does the author say in regard to replication and manner in the Deadly Theatre?
5. What American dancer does the author discuss, and what does his work entail?
6. How does the author define "The Holy Theatre"?
7. What does the author say in discussing the removal of the symbolic curtain in the theatre?
8. What does the author say of Artaud's contribution to "The Holy Theatre"?
9. What has happened to "ritual" in today's culture, as described by the author?
10. What are the four forms of theatre the author discusses, and where can they be found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the director of the theatre. How does this person create an open environment? How does he/she best work with the designer? The actor?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the playwright/theorist/director, Bertolt Brecht. What innovations to the theatre did this figure create? How is he the most influential writer of the contemporary stage?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the term "A Happening." What does this mean? How do we achieve it in the theatre? How do "Happenings" relate to "Alienation"?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)