|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Secretly, Mukherjee believed that the book would end with Carla's death. Was he right?
(d) Somewhat, because she was on life support.
2. "Part 4: Prevention Is the Cure" begins with a quote from who?
(a) David Cantor.
(b) Sidney Farber.
(c) Percival Pott.
(d) Siddhartha Mukherjee.
3. What question arose from the study of these two genes?
(a) What other types of genes can cause cancer?
(b) Why do people still get cancer?
(c) What are other causes of cancer?
(d) If two of these types of genes were not sufficient to create cancer, how many would it take?
4. Kennedy assigned the job to whom?
(a) The Vice President.
(b) The Secretary of the Interior.
(c) The Surgeon General.
(d) The GOP.
5. Geneticists needed to learn what?
(a) To "hunt" the virus' gene.
(b) To "track" the gene in a new way.
(c) To "find" the gene.
(d) To "see" the gene in a new way.
Short Answer Questions
1. The third camp, of ________________ successors, stood at the farthest periphery.
2. By 1953, the average annual consumption of cigarettes had reached ________________ per person.
3. In 1870, the per capita consumption in America was ________________ per year.
4. On the last day of their time as a solid unit, the group began to do what?
5. In 1963, three men visited Oscar Auerbach. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did doctors dismiss the cancer found in chimney sweeps? How did cancer continue to be dismissed by others throughout time?
2. What is the role of a laboratory scientist? What type of people are suited for this work?
3. What is meant by a "Risky Prediction?"
4. Why was Phyllis Clauson at first not believed? Is this surprising? Why or why not?
5. What was the oncomouse? Was this successful? Why or why not?
6. What are two reasons why studies into the connection between lung cancer and tobacco were inconclusive?
7. Who was George Papanicolaou? How was his work important?
8. What is the role of a clinician? What type of people are suited for this work?
9. Who were the successors of Theodor Boveri?
10. What is Genentech? How is this company important?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)