|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first official naming of cancer took place around 400 B.C. Hippocrates referred to it as "karkinos," the Greek word for _________.
2. The cancers being matched to the drugs included breast cancer, ovarian cancer, lung cancer and ________________.
(a) Lobular Carcinoma In Situ.
(c) Laryngeal Cancer.
3. William Stewart Halsted is known as the father of what?
(c) Radical surgery.
4. What was the argument regarding chemotherapy?
(a) It is painful.
(b) It is too dangerous.
(c) It cannot be the only way.
(d) It is the only way.
5. Farber knew that in order to launch a national attack on cancer he would have to form what?
(a) A society.
(b) A political party.
(c) A scientific organization.
(d) A government committee.
Short Answer Questions
1. _________________ began to resurrect the concept of counting.
2. Who was Henry Kaplan?
3. Hyperplasia was what?
4. One patient commented that she was tired of the ________________.
5. Albert Lasker was diagnosed with colon cancer and eventually died. Farber was also diagnosed with a type of colon cancer but survived. The more personal brushes with cancer did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the 21st anniversary of the Jimmy Fund significant?
2. How did Virchow stumble upon cancer?
3. How could this battle regarding surgery be ended?
4. What are the two schools of thought regarding surgery? Why was this such a problem?
5. What were the problems with VAMP? How might these be corrected?
6. What important drugs came out in the 1940s and 1950s? How are these important to us today?
7. How does chemotherapy reverse Paracelsus' belief about poison and drugs?
8. What did Moya Cole think of Halsted's theories? Why?
9. What did FDR do to fight cancer? What caused support of cancer research to wane? Why?
10. What symptoms led to Carla Reed learning she had leukemia?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)