|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say the administration had led the American people to believe about the war?
2. What was Paul Kattenburg's view of the war, in early 1964?
3. What position did Maxwell Taylor begin to support as a result of his late 1964 trip to Vietnam?
4. Whose staff does Halberstam say outlined three responses to the American bombing campaign?
5. What does Halberstam say affected the American attitude toward the war?
Essay Topic 1
How does the containment of the 1960s differ from the preemptive foreign policy of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. How has American foreign policy changed since the 1960s?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the conditions that led to the coup against Diem and the credibility gap in America. Was the U.S. ripe for a coup the same way that the Diem regime was considered ripe for a coup? What forces were arguing for regime change in America? Why were they ultimately unsuccessful? (Was regime change ultimately what protesters in the U.S. wanted?)
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson's strategies for handling the war in Vietnam. How did they negotiate the complex mixture of voices within the U.S. government in similar ways? How were they different? How did the changes in conditions in the U.S. and in Vietnam account for Johnson's different strategies?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)