|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tipped off Senator Wayne Morse about the real situation of the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
2. Who was the only administration insider arguing against escalation?
3. Whose staff does Halberstam say outlined three responses to the American bombing campaign?
4. What does Halberstam say was the conclusion of the study that analyzed the results of a bombing attack against the north?
5. What does Halberstam say General Westmoreland was asking President Johnson for, now that he was in control of Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Rolling Thunder and what was its purpose?
2. What does Halberstam say McNamara found in Vietnam when the Johnson administration took over?
3. What issues were discussed as there started to be struggles over Vietnam strategy in mid-1965?
4. What was Dean Rusk's role in Vietnam after Kennedy's assassination?
5. What was the result of the first direct confrontation with Vietcong and American troops?
6. What was the result of the Spring Offensive?
7. What was the intelligence community's assessment of Rolling Thunder?
8. What happened during the second Gulf of Tonkin incident?
9. Who expressed doubt about the Vietnam war, and what happened to their opposition?
10. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was it necessary for opponents of the war to be marginalized within the American government? Describe the organizational and bureaucratic rules and pressures that were used to effectively silence or transfer officials who spoke out against the war. Was this required, for efficient planning, or did the transfers constitute repression?
Essay Topic 2
Analyzing the evidence from Halberstam's text, describe the change that took place in American minds as a result of the Vietnam War. Put another way: Compare and contrast the administrations that preceded Kennedy's administration, and the Nixon administration, which followed the Johnson administration. How does Halberstam describe the different cultures that existed before and after the Vietnam war?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of administrative or bureaucratic changes could have helped the war effort in Vietnam? Specifically, how could U.S. commanders have ensured that accurate information flowed unimpeded from troops and analysts in Vietnam to military planners in the U.S.? What factors in the military or political establishment created this problem?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)