|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say was going to cause the realities of the war to be made public?
2. What was the outcome of the first confrontation between Vietcong and U.S. troops?
3. What does Halberstam say General Westmoreland was asking President Johnson for, now that he was in control of Vietnam?
4. What does Halberstam say was decided at the April 20, 1965 meeting in Honolulu?
5. What does Halberstam say conditions were like in South Vietnam by the end of 1964?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the questions people were asking on the issue of bombing the North?
2. What was the intelligence community's assessment of Rolling Thunder?
3. What happened during the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
4. What does Halberstam say was Johnson's approach to paying for the war?
5. What does Halberstam say happened when Westmoreland assumed control?
6. What does Halberstam say began to change in early 1964?
7. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
8. What was President Johnson's position regarding Vietnam in the early days of his presidency?
9. What happened during the second Gulf of Tonkin incident?
10. How did the reality of the war become public information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyzing the evidence from Halberstam's text, describe the change that took place in American minds as a result of the Vietnam War. Put another way: Compare and contrast the administrations that preceded Kennedy's administration, and the Nixon administration, which followed the Johnson administration. How does Halberstam describe the different cultures that existed before and after the Vietnam war?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Vietnam war affect the U.S. government's bureaucratic organization? Analyze Halberstam's history and describe the changes that were made in the roles and structure of the government as a result of or in reaction to the situation in Vietnam. How did Kennedy and Johnson create special positions or grant special powers to individuals around them? How did the system of checks and balances work in relationship to the privacy and secrecy of the war planners?
Essay Topic 3
Using evidence from Halberstam's text, describe how the Vietnam War affected America's relationship with the community of nations--particularly China and Russia, its Communist foes. What did the Vietnam war do for American interests abroad? How did it affect America's reputation and image?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)