Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say the administration had led the American people to believe about the war?
2. What was Paul Kattenburg's view of the war, in early 1964?
3. What position did Maxwell Taylor begin to support as a result of his late 1964 trip to Vietnam?
4. Whose staff does Halberstam say outlined three responses to the American bombing campaign?
5. What does Halberstam say affected the American attitude toward the war?
Essay Topic 1
Was it necessary for opponents of the war to be marginalized within the American government? Describe the organizational and bureaucratic rules and pressures that were used to effectively silence or transfer officials who spoke out against the war. Was this required, for efficient planning, or did the transfers constitute repression?
Essay Topic 2
Write a critical review of "The Best and the Brightest": what does Halberstam do well, and what parts of the book are not well-executed? Considering recent revelations regarding the war, how prescient was Halberstam in his history?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of administrative or bureaucratic changes could have helped the war effort in Vietnam? Specifically, how could U.S. commanders have ensured that accurate information flowed unimpeded from troops and analysts in Vietnam to military planners in the U.S.? What factors in the military or political establishment created this problem?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)