|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Halberstam say that September and October of 1963 were good for the Kennedy administration?
2. What happened in the Gulf of Tonkin as a part of 34A?
3. What problem does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor had in Vietnam?
4. What was the outcome of the first confrontation between Vietcong and U.S. troops?
5. What did Johnson say he needed before they could move against the North?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
2. What was President Johnson's position with regard to bombing?
3. What was the result of the first direct confrontation with Vietcong and American troops?
4. What does Halberstam say McNamara found in Vietnam when the Johnson administration took over?
5. What was the public story of the Gulf of Tonkin incident, and what was the truth?
6. What was the result of the Spring Offensive?
7. What did the Johnson administration tell America as it committed more troops to Vietnam?
8. What program did Maxwell Taylor call for in the paper he wrote on his way back from Vietnam?
9. What does Halberstam say happened when Westmoreland assumed control?
10. Who expressed doubt about the Vietnam war, and what happened to their opposition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the strategies of Robert McNamara and General Westmoreland for bombing and search-and-destroy missions. What were the costs and benefits of either approach to the war against the Vietcong? Were they complementary, or did they work at cross-purposes?
Essay Topic 2
Did the Vietnam War mark a change in American ideology? Was the concept of natural rights changed or abandoned? Was Vietnam a war like other wars America had fought, or was it unprecedented? How did the U.S. government's response to the opposition to the war change the nature of citizenship and political activity in America?
Essay Topic 3
What must McGeorge Bundy or Robert McNamara or President Johnson have thought about the Vietnam war? Write a journal entry as if you were them.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)