|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor discovered was true about Khanh?
2. What was McNamara beginning to suspect in Vietnam?
3. What had USAID done in Vietnam at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. Who does Halberstam say remained loyal to Diem when the coup began?
5. What did Johnson say he needed before they could move against the North?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the questions people were asking on the issue of bombing the North?
2. What issues were discussed as there started to be struggles over Vietnam strategy in mid-1965?
3. What does Halberstam say the effect of the Vietnam war on the American people was?
4. What program did Maxwell Taylor call for in the paper he wrote on his way back from Vietnam?
5. What was President Johnson's position regarding Vietnam in the early days of his presidency?
6. What was President Johnson's position with regard to bombing?
7. What happened to Diem and Nhu during the coup?
8. What does Halberstam say began to change in early 1964?
9. How did the reality of the war become public information?
10. What does Halberstam say became clear to the American government after Diem's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did American support influence Diem and Khanh? Did it make them more or less legitimate in the eyes of the Vietnamese? If there were problems caused by overt American support, say also what roles were played by Vietnamese society and by the personalities of Diem and Khanh.
Essay Topic 2
Did the Vietnam War mark a change in American ideology? Was the concept of natural rights changed or abandoned? Was Vietnam a war like other wars America had fought, or was it unprecedented? How did the U.S. government's response to the opposition to the war change the nature of citizenship and political activity in America?
Essay Topic 3
Using evidence from Halberstam's text, describe how the Vietnam War affected America's relationship with the community of nations--particularly China and Russia, its Communist foes. What did the Vietnam war do for American interests abroad? How did it affect America's reputation and image?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)