|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hanoi do in response to U.S. war games in the South?
2. What feeling does Halberstam say Americans were feeling as the war went on and on?
3. The war continued until which President took office?
4. Who does Halberstam say was especially vocal in calling for a change in U.S. Vietnam policy?
5. What does Halberstam say the U.S. assured its generals during their meeting in Vietnam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critical review of "The Best and the Brightest": what does Halberstam do well, and what parts of the book are not well-executed? Considering recent revelations regarding the war, how prescient was Halberstam in his history?
Essay Topic 2
What must McGeorge Bundy or Robert McNamara or President Johnson have thought about the Vietnam war? Write a journal entry as if you were them.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Halberstam as a biographer and historian. What are his preoccupations? What does he not consider? What are his narrative techniques, and what literary techniques does he use to describe the people and actions that comprise "The Best and the Brightest"?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)