Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say the administration had led the American people to believe about the war?
2. What was Paul Kattenburg's view of the war, in early 1964?
3. What position did Maxwell Taylor begin to support as a result of his late 1964 trip to Vietnam?
4. Whose staff does Halberstam say outlined three responses to the American bombing campaign?
5. What does Halberstam say affected the American attitude toward the war?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Halberstam as a biographer and historian. What are his preoccupations? What does he not consider? What are his narrative techniques, and what literary techniques does he use to describe the people and actions that comprise "The Best and the Brightest"?
Essay Topic 2
Argue for the appropriateness or the inappropriateness of executive secrecy as it was used during the Johnson administration. What factors and evidence mitigates the need for executive transparency? What factors and evidence makes transparency an absolute requirement?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson's strategies for handling the war in Vietnam. How did they negotiate the complex mixture of voices within the U.S. government in similar ways? How were they different? How did the changes in conditions in the U.S. and in Vietnam account for Johnson's different strategies?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)