|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say conditions were like in South Vietnam by the end of 1964?
2. What stance does Halberstam say the administration took as the public sentiment deteriorated?
3. Who was it who authorized a paper that would rationalize an exit from Vietnam?
4. What does Halberstam say was the purpose of operation Rolling Thunder?
5. What does Halberstam say the Kennedy administration found out after the coup?
Essay Topic 1
Kennedy was a young president, and he was thought to be inexperienced. What was Kennedy's relationship with the past, and with politicians who went before him? What did he take from them, and which of their policies was he intent on changing?
Essay Topic 2
How does the containment of the 1960s differ from the preemptive foreign policy of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. How has American foreign policy changed since the 1960s?
Essay Topic 3
Analyzing the evidence from Halberstam's text, describe the change that took place in American minds as a result of the Vietnam War. Put another way: Compare and contrast the administrations that preceded Kennedy's administration, and the Nixon administration, which followed the Johnson administration. How does Halberstam describe the different cultures that existed before and after the Vietnam war?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)