|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hanoi do in response to U.S. war games in the South?
2. When did the Spring offensive start in Vietnam?
3. What plan was the U.S. government following by the end of 1964?
4. What does Halberstam say was the conclusion of the study that analyzed the results of a bombing attack against the north?
5. What stance does Halberstam say the administration took as the public sentiment deteriorated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was interested in overthrowing Diem?
2. What was the intelligence community's assessment of Rolling Thunder?
3. What happened during the second Gulf of Tonkin incident?
4. What was the result of the first direct confrontation with Vietcong and American troops?
5. What happened during the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
6. What happened to Diem and Nhu during the coup?
7. What does Halberstam say began to change in early 1964?
8. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
9. What issues were discussed as there started to be struggles over Vietnam strategy in mid-1965?
10. What does Halberstam say was Johnson's approach to paying for the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What must McGeorge Bundy or Robert McNamara or President Johnson have thought about the Vietnam war? Write a journal entry as if you were them.
Essay Topic 2
Did the Vietnam War mark a change in American ideology? Was the concept of natural rights changed or abandoned? Was Vietnam a war like other wars America had fought, or was it unprecedented? How did the U.S. government's response to the opposition to the war change the nature of citizenship and political activity in America?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the strategies of Robert McNamara and General Westmoreland for bombing and search-and-destroy missions. What were the costs and benefits of either approach to the war against the Vietcong? Were they complementary, or did they work at cross-purposes?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)