|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence does Halberstam give for the deterioration of the mood in America?
2. In what way does Halberstam say that Lyndon Johnson resembled Kennedy in his management style?
3. Who traveled to Vietnam after the 1965 inauguration?
4. What event does Halberstam say triggered bombing operations against the North?
5. What was Paul Kattenburg's view of the war, in early 1964?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was President Johnson's position regarding Vietnam in the early days of his presidency?
2. What happened during the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
3. What was the military's position on bombing North Vietnam?
4. What was the result of the first direct confrontation with Vietcong and American troops?
5. What happened during the second Gulf of Tonkin incident?
6. What does Halberstam say happened when Westmoreland assumed control?
7. What was the result of the Spring Offensive?
8. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
9. What was President Johnson's position with regard to bombing?
10. What was Dean Rusk's role in Vietnam after Kennedy's assassination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the containment of the 1960s differ from the preemptive foreign policy of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. How has American foreign policy changed since the 1960s?
Essay Topic 2
Did the Vietnam War mark a change in American ideology? Was the concept of natural rights changed or abandoned? Was Vietnam a war like other wars America had fought, or was it unprecedented? How did the U.S. government's response to the opposition to the war change the nature of citizenship and political activity in America?
Essay Topic 3
Argue for the appropriateness or the inappropriateness of executive secrecy as it was used during the Johnson administration. What factors and evidence mitigates the need for executive transparency? What factors and evidence makes transparency an absolute requirement?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)