|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Eleanor Roosevelt's feelings about Kennedy?
2. Whose theories had been used as the basis for expanded militarization in the late 1940s?
3. What does Halberstam say happened that threatened the relationship between Diem and the Buddhists?
4. What did Robert Lovett represent for Kennedy?
5. What policy did Rostow support in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the meeting between Lovett and Kennedy play in the press?
2. How did the situation in Vietnam unfold?
3. What did Lovett and Kennedy discuss during their meeting?
4. Describe the atmosphere in America when Kennedy took office.
5. What does Halberstam say was McNamara's relationship with Kennedy?
6. Describe the confrontation in Laos.
7. Why did Diem and the U.S. end up working together?
8. What was the Kennedy administration's stance with regard to Russia?
9. Who was Frederick Nolting, and what was his role in Vietnam?
10. Describe Vietnam's problems with the Buddhist monks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue for the appropriateness or the inappropriateness of executive secrecy as it was used during the Johnson administration. What factors and evidence mitigates the need for executive transparency? What factors and evidence makes transparency an absolute requirement?
Essay Topic 2
Judging by what you know of contemporary culture, what lessons has America learned about domestic policies and politics after the Vietnam era? What has changed in how the government works, in how it funds wars, and in how it relates to internal opposition?
Essay Topic 3
Was it necessary for opponents of the war to be marginalized within the American government? Describe the organizational and bureaucratic rules and pressures that were used to effectively silence or transfer officials who spoke out against the war. Was this required, for efficient planning, or did the transfers constitute repression?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)