Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the problem with the Buddhist monks begin?
2. What rule does Halberstam say Kennedy was following in trying to appoint a Secretary of State?
3. How long had Ho Chi Minh's communism associations been known to the U.S., in Halberstam's account?
4. When Kennedy did not authorize more troops, what does Halberstam say he told the Pentagon?
5. How does Halberstam say McNamara learned about the affairs in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issues were discussed as there started to be struggles over Vietnam strategy in mid-1965?
2. Describe the confrontation in Laos.
3. What does Halberstam say happened when Westmoreland assumed control?
4. How did the meeting between Lovett and Kennedy play in the press?
5. What did the Johnson administration tell America as it committed more troops to Vietnam?
6. Describe Vietnam's problems with the Buddhist monks.
7. What happened during the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
8. How did the fall of China and the Cold War affect the Kennedy administration?
9. Why didn't the U.S. gain the loyalty of the Vietnamese peasants?
10. What does Halberstam say became clear to the American government after Diem's death?
Essay Topic 1
Using evidence from Halberstam's text, describe how the Vietnam War affected America's relationship with the community of nations--particularly China and Russia, its Communist foes. What did the Vietnam war do for American interests abroad? How did it affect America's reputation and image?
Essay Topic 2
Analyzing the evidence from Halberstam's text, describe the change that took place in American minds as a result of the Vietnam War. Put another way: Compare and contrast the administrations that preceded Kennedy's administration, and the Nixon administration, which followed the Johnson administration. How does Halberstam describe the different cultures that existed before and after the Vietnam war?
Essay Topic 3
Kennedy was a young president, and he was thought to be inexperienced. What was Kennedy's relationship with the past, and with politicians who went before him? What did he take from them, and which of their policies was he intent on changing?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)