Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the problem with the Buddhist monks begin?
2. What rule does Halberstam say Kennedy was following in trying to appoint a Secretary of State?
3. How long had Ho Chi Minh's communism associations been known to the U.S., in Halberstam's account?
4. When Kennedy did not authorize more troops, what does Halberstam say he told the Pentagon?
5. How does Halberstam say McNamara learned about the affairs in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issues were discussed as there started to be struggles over Vietnam strategy in mid-1965?
2. Describe the confrontation in Laos.
3. What does Halberstam say happened when Westmoreland assumed control?
4. How did the meeting between Lovett and Kennedy play in the press?
5. What did the Johnson administration tell America as it committed more troops to Vietnam?
6. Describe Vietnam's problems with the Buddhist monks.
7. What happened during the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
8. How did the fall of China and the Cold War affect the Kennedy administration?
9. Why didn't the U.S. gain the loyalty of the Vietnamese peasants?
10. What does Halberstam say became clear to the American government after Diem's death?
How did American support influence Diem and Khanh? Did it make them more or less legitimate in the eyes of the Vietnamese? If there were problems caused by overt American support, say also what roles were played by Vietnamese society and by the personalities of Diem and Khanh.
Argue for the appropriateness or the inappropriateness of executive secrecy as it was used during the Johnson administration. What factors and evidence mitigates the need for executive transparency? What factors and evidence makes transparency an absolute requirement?
Judging by what you know of contemporary culture, what lessons has America learned about domestic policies and politics after the Vietnam era? What has changed in how the government works, in how it funds wars, and in how it relates to internal opposition?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)