|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which issue does Halberstam say the military lost its battle with the White House?
2. How did Kennedy see Adlai Stevenson?
3. What does Halberstam say McNamara had done while he was at Ford?
4. What did the Kennedy administration represent to America?
5. Which cabinet member was opposed to the Bay of Pigs invasion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crises confronted the Kennedy administration in 1961?
2. How did the situation in Vietnam unfold?
3. What was the American government's relationship with Diem in 1961?
4. Describe U.S. engagements in Vietnam in the 1950s.
5. How did the meeting between Lovett and Kennedy play in the press?
6. What did Kennedy's representatives report back after their 1961 fact-finding mission?
7. What were Americans beginning to say with regard to Diem after the Buddhist monk problems began?
8. What was the Kennedy administration's image with the American people?
9. Who was Robert A. Lovett, and what does Halberstam say he signified for Kennedy?
10. Who was Dean Rusk, and what was his role and place in the Kennedy administration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Vietnam war affect the U.S. government's bureaucratic organization? Analyze Halberstam's history and describe the changes that were made in the roles and structure of the government as a result of or in reaction to the situation in Vietnam. How did Kennedy and Johnson create special positions or grant special powers to individuals around them? How did the system of checks and balances work in relationship to the privacy and secrecy of the war planners?
Essay Topic 2
What must McGeorge Bundy or Robert McNamara or President Johnson have thought about the Vietnam war? Write a journal entry as if you were them.
Essay Topic 3
How does the containment of the 1960s differ from the preemptive foreign policy of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. How has American foreign policy changed since the 1960s?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)