|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Kennedy want to act as Secretary of State?
2. How long had Ho Chi Minh's communism associations been known to the U.S., in Halberstam's account?
3. How did the Kennedy administration see the war in Vietnam?
4. What was the recommendation that came out of the fact-finding mission of 1961?
5. What was Kennedy's relationship with the press during his presidential campaign?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three plans does Halberstam say the U.S. was considering in Vietnam in 1961?
2. What was the Kennedy administration's stance with regard to Russia?
3. What kind of reports does Halberstam say the U.S. got from Vietnam?
4. Who was Frederick Nolting, and what was his role in Vietnam?
5. What did Lovett and Kennedy discuss during their meeting?
6. What does Halberstam say Kennedy was confronted with at the beginning of "The Best and the Brightest"?
7. Describe the atmosphere in America when Kennedy took office.
8. Who was Dean Rusk, and what was his role and place in the Kennedy administration?
9. Who was Robert McNamara and what was his role in the formation of Vietnam policy?
10. Who was Kennedy, and how did he become well known?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson's strategies for handling the war in Vietnam. How did they negotiate the complex mixture of voices within the U.S. government in similar ways? How were they different? How did the changes in conditions in the U.S. and in Vietnam account for Johnson's different strategies?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Vietnam war affect the U.S. government's bureaucratic organization? Analyze Halberstam's history and describe the changes that were made in the roles and structure of the government as a result of or in reaction to the situation in Vietnam. How did Kennedy and Johnson create special positions or grant special powers to individuals around them? How did the system of checks and balances work in relationship to the privacy and secrecy of the war planners?
Essay Topic 3
Analyzing the evidence from Halberstam's text, describe the change that took place in American minds as a result of the Vietnam War. Put another way: Compare and contrast the administrations that preceded Kennedy's administration, and the Nixon administration, which followed the Johnson administration. How does Halberstam describe the different cultures that existed before and after the Vietnam war?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)