|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the only administration insider arguing against escalation?
(a) George Ball.
(b) Averell Harriman.
(c) McGeorge Bundy.
(d) Maxwell Taylor.
2. What does Halberstam say was going to cause the realities of the war to be made public?
(a) Leaks from inside the government.
(b) The media.
(c) Passage of the Freedom of Information Act.
(d) The process of paying for the war.
3. How does Halberstam say Johnson conducted planning for the Vietnam war?
(a) Johnson kept planning secret.
(b) Johnson governed by consensus among his advisers.
(c) Johnson consulted with a wide range of experts.
(d) Johnson made every decision himself.
4. What plan was the U.S. government following by the end of 1964?
(a) Limit bombing but increase troops on the ground.
(b) Restrict operations to bombing missions.
(c) Pour as many resources as necessary into Vietnam.
(d) Expand the pacification program.
5. When did Khanh overthrow the generals in Vietnam?
(a) December, 1963.
(b) February, 1964.
(c) December, 1964.
(d) April, 1965.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Halberstam say triggered bombing operations against the North?
2. How was the situation changing in South Vietnam in early 1965?
3. Who did President Johnson send to Vietnam to investigate the situation there?
4. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor discovered was true about Khanh?
5. What does Halberstam say the military had been telling President Johnson when he sent an investigative team to Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issues were discussed as there started to be struggles over Vietnam strategy in mid-1965?
2. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
3. What was President Johnson's position regarding Vietnam in the early days of his presidency?
4. What does Halberstam say began to change in early 1964?
5. What was the result of the first direct confrontation with Vietcong and American troops?
6. What was the result of the Spring Offensive?
7. What does Halberstam say the effect of the Vietnam war on the American people was?
8. Who was interested in overthrowing Diem?
9. What was the public story of the Gulf of Tonkin incident, and what was the truth?
10. How did the reality of the war become public information?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)