|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was it who authorized a paper that would rationalize an exit from Vietnam?
(a) Averell Harriman.
(b) John McNaughton.
(c) Robert McNamara.
(d) McGeorge Bundy.
2. What did Johnson say he needed before they could move against the North?
(a) A stable government in the South.
(b) Bipartisan support.
(c) Success around Saigon.
(d) Success in the Mekong delta.
3. What does Halberstam say was decided at the April 20, 1965 meeting in Honolulu?
(a) The military shifted to search-and-destroy missions exclusively.
(b) The military reduced troop levels.
(c) The military agreed to increased troop usage.
(d) The military refused to provide reports from field commanders.
4. What was Paul Kattenburg's view of the war, in early 1964?
(a) He saw it as an experiment in nation-building.
(b) He described it as a crusade.
(c) He thought it was a waste of political and economic capital.
(d) He doubted its correctness.
5. The war continued until which President took office?
Short Answer Questions
1. What movement regarding the war does Halberstam say started at the University of California in Berkeley?
2. What happened in the Gulf of Tonkin as a part of 34A?
3. When did the Spring offensive start in Vietnam?
4. When does Halberstam say the Johnson administration realized that Bundy was necessary to their planning?
5. Who was in charge of the operation code named 34A?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the public story of the Gulf of Tonkin incident, and what was the truth?
2. What was the military's position on bombing North Vietnam?
3. What program did Maxwell Taylor call for in the paper he wrote on his way back from Vietnam?
4. How did the reality of the war become public information?
5. What does Halberstam say began to change in early 1964?
6. Who was interested in overthrowing Diem?
7. Describe what Halberstam calls 'the Bundy trip' to Vietnam.
8. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
9. What does Halberstam say was Johnson's approach to paying for the war?
10. What happened during the second Gulf of Tonkin incident?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)