|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Halberstam say remained loyal to Diem when the coup began?
(a) The southern part of the country.
(b) The merchants.
(c) The Palace Guard.
(d) The people.
2. Who did President Johnson send to Vietnam to investigate the situation there?
(a) Maxwell Taylor.
(b) General Johnson.
(c) General Harkin.
(d) General Westmoreland.
3. When did the Spring offensive start in Vietnam?
(a) March 1963.
(b) April 1964.
(c) June 1966.
(d) May 1965.
4. What kind of problem does Halberstam say the cost of the war caused for the Johnson administration?
(a) Disclosure problems.
(b) Budget problems.
(c) Moral problems.
(d) Public relations problems.
5. Who traveled to Vietnam after the 1965 inauguration?
(a) Taylor, Ball and Bundy.
(b) McNamara, Ball and Harriman.
(c) Bundy, McNamara and Rusk.
(d) Westmoreland, Harriman and Rusk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say was the effect of the Gulf of Tonkin incident on the U.S. government?
2. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor discovered was true about Khanh?
3. What does Halberstam say was the result of Johnson's method of planning for the war?
4. What did the U.S. embassy offer to Diem and Nhu when the coup began?
5. What does Halberstam say the Kennedy administration found out after the coup?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Johnson administration tell America as it committed more troops to Vietnam?
2. What does Halberstam say happened when Westmoreland assumed control?
3. What was the result of the first direct confrontation with Vietcong and American troops?
4. How did the reality of the war become public information?
5. What was President Johnson's position with regard to bombing?
6. Describe what Halberstam calls 'the Bundy trip' to Vietnam.
7. Who was interested in overthrowing Diem?
8. What was the public story of the Gulf of Tonkin incident, and what was the truth?
9. What was the result of the Spring Offensive?
10. What does Halberstam say became clear to the American government after Diem's death?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)