|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Halberstam say was the conclusion of the study that analyzed the results of a bombing attack against the north?
(a) The report concluded that bombing would deter any further guerilla-style attacks against the South.
(b) The report concluded that bombing would overwhelm the people, and drain support for further attacks.
(c) The report concluded that bombing would strengthen the North by building opposition to the Americans.
(d) The report concluded that bombing would break the Vietcong's supply routes, and end resistance.
2. When does Halberstam say the Johnson administration realized that Bundy was necessary to their planning?
(a) When Taylor's theories were proven wrong.
(b) When McNamara's plans were ineffectual.
(c) When Diem was overthrown, as Bundy had predicted he would be.
(d) When they had a hard time while he was on vacation.
3. What was Paul Kattenburg's view of the war, in early 1964?
(a) He doubted its correctness.
(b) He saw it as an experiment in nation-building.
(c) He described it as a crusade.
(d) He thought it was a waste of political and economic capital.
4. What pressure does Halberstam say the events of September and October of 1963 relieved for Kennedy?
(a) He felt like he was finally hitting his stride in the presidency.
(b) He no longer felt the political pressure to deliver a victory.
(c) He was relieved of budgetary pressure.
(d) He no longer felt the need to prove himself to Kruschev.
5. What does Halberstam say was the effect of the Gulf of Tonkin incident on the U.S. government?
(a) It led some to question the legality of the war.
(b) It strengthened U.S. resolve to win in Vietnam.
(c) It demonstrated that American strategy was working.
(d) It convinced Americans that the war was senseless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say was the Joint Chiefs of Staff's perception of the problem in Vietnam?
2. What did the code 34A stand for in the White House?
3. What did Hanoi do in response to U.S. war games in the South?
4. How does Halberstam say Kennedy was feeling about the war at the beginning of Chapter 15?
5. What does Halberstam say was the beginning of the 'credibility gap'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Diem and Nhu during the coup?
2. What happened during the second Gulf of Tonkin incident?
3. What was the result of the Spring Offensive?
4. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
5. What was President Johnson's position regarding Vietnam in the early days of his presidency?
6. What was Rolling Thunder and what was its purpose?
7. What happened during the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
8. What does Halberstam say happened when Westmoreland assumed control?
9. What was Dean Rusk's role in Vietnam after Kennedy's assassination?
10. What does Halberstam say McNamara found in Vietnam when the Johnson administration took over?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)