|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Halberstam say remained loyal to Diem when the coup began?
(a) The merchants.
(b) The Palace Guard.
(c) The southern part of the country.
(d) The people.
2. What does Halberstam say became clear by the time Rolling Thunder had been in effect for six weeks?
(a) That Rolling Thunder was breaking the Vietcong supply routes.
(b) That Rolling Thunder was not breaking the North's resistance.
(c) That it was only a matter of time until Hanoi capitulated.
(d) That Rolling Thunder was not going to make Hanoi capitulate.
3. How does Halberstam say Kennedy was feeling about the war at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. What was McNamara beginning to suspect in Vietnam?
(a) The patience of the American electorate.
(b) The capacity for victory in a guerilla war.
(c) Diem's trustworthiness.
(d) The accuracy of bleak military reports.
5. When does Halberstam say that McNamara realized he had been misled about the conditions in Vietnam?
(a) When he received envoys from Vietnam in March of 1964.
(b) In his December 1963 trip to Vietnam.
(c) In his March 1964 trip to Vietnam.
(d) When he read the military reports in December 1963.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence does Halberstam give for the deterioration of the mood in America?
2. What does Halberstam say was the result of the Spring Offensive?
3. What does Halberstam say was the military's opinion after the start of Rolling Thunder?
4. What does Halberstam say was the result of Johnson's method of planning for the war?
5. Who opposed the fact-finding trip to Vietnam in early 1965?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the public story of the Gulf of Tonkin incident, and what was the truth?
2. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
3. What was Dean Rusk's role in Vietnam after Kennedy's assassination?
4. How did the reality of the war become public information?
5. What were the questions people were asking on the issue of bombing the North?
6. What does Halberstam say the effect of the Vietnam war on the American people was?
7. What happened to Diem and Nhu during the coup?
8. What was the intelligence community's assessment of Rolling Thunder?
9. What does Halberstam say was Johnson's approach to paying for the war?
10. What happened during the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)