|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Halberstam say happened to Diem and Nhu after they fled?
(a) They were granted haven in Japan.
(b) They reached America and settled there.
(c) They were captured and killed.
(d) They returned to power.
2. Who does Halberstam say remained loyal to Diem when the coup began?
(a) The people.
(b) The merchants.
(c) The southern part of the country.
(d) The Palace Guard.
3. How does Halberstam define the flash point?
(a) The location at which forces could engage face to face.
(b) The point at which he would convince the American people to support the war.
(c) The point at which the American people were no longer going to support the war.
(d) The point to which the U.S. could escalate without going to war.
4. What feeling does Halberstam say Americans were feeling as the war went on and on?
5. What does Halberstam say General Westmoreland was asking President Johnson for, now that he was in control of Vietnam?
(a) More combat troops.
(b) More time.
(c) More fighter jets.
(d) More bombers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the fact-finding trip to Vietnam in early 1965 coincide with?
2. When does Halberstam say the Johnson administration realized that Bundy was necessary to their planning?
3. How did McNamara's position on bombing change over time?
4. What did the code 34A stand for in the White House?
5. Who does Halberstam say eventually took on the role of setting the tone for Vietnam policy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issues were discussed as there started to be struggles over Vietnam strategy in mid-1965?
2. What was Rolling Thunder and what was its purpose?
3. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
4. What were the alternatives the staff in Vietnam laid out for Maxwell Taylor when he visited Vietnam in the fall of 1964?
5. What does Halberstam say began to change in early 1964?
6. What was the military's position on bombing North Vietnam?
7. What does Halberstam say was Johnson's approach to paying for the war?
8. What was the result of the first direct confrontation with Vietcong and American troops?
9. What does Halberstam say McNamara found in Vietnam when the Johnson administration took over?
10. What was the intelligence community's assessment of Rolling Thunder?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)