|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Halberstam say the military had been telling President Johnson when he sent an investigative team to Vietnam?
(a) They had been telling him to send more troops.
(b) They had been telling him that conditions were improving.
(c) They had been telling him to bomb.
(d) They had been telling him to withdraw.
2. What does Halberstam say was the military's opinion after the start of Rolling Thunder?
(a) The military wanted to keep experimenting with saturation bombing techniques.
(b) The military thought the war would last six months.
(c) The military predicted a war of attrition.
(d) The military expected the campaign to bring victory in 3-5 years.
3. Who does Halberstam say eventually took on the role of setting the tone for Vietnam policy?
4. Who was in charge of the operation code named 34A?
(a) General Westmoreland.
(b) General Harkins.
(c) Averell Harriman.
(d) McGeorge Bundy.
5. What does Halberstam say the administration had led the American people to believe about the war?
(a) That American air power would win the war quickly.
(b) That the war would pay for itself.
(c) That it would not be a large war.
(d) That international consensus would build in support of America's actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plan was the U.S. government following by the end of 1964?
2. What did Johnson say he needed before they could move against the North?
3. What does Halberstam say was the purpose of operation Rolling Thunder?
4. How does Halberstam say the Americans responded when the Vietcong attacked Pleiku?
5. What had USAID done in Vietnam at the beginning of Chapter 15?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)