|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Halberstam say the military had been telling President Johnson when he sent an investigative team to Vietnam?
(a) They had been telling him to send more troops.
(b) They had been telling him to bomb.
(c) They had been telling him to withdraw.
(d) They had been telling him that conditions were improving.
2. Why did President Johnson authorize bombing attacks on North Vietnam, in Halberstam's account?
(a) He thought that breaking Vietcong resistance would create trade opportunities for American companies.
(b) He thought that bombing was a final resort, and after it failed, he could strategically withdraw.
(c) He believed that if Vietnam went Communist, the rest of the region would turn Communist as well.
(d) He thought that an overwhelming display of force would convince other nations in the region to accept American influence.
3. What does Halberstam say the Kennedy administration found out after the coup?
(a) The government did not know what was going on in the war.
(b) The Vietnamese government did not have control of the Delta.
(c) The Vietnamese government did not have its people's support.
(d) The Buddhists were attracting dissidents in opposition to the government.
4. What does Halberstam say was the result of the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
(a) The use of napalm.
(b) A Northern offensive.
(c) An end of diplomacy.
(d) Bombing of North Vietnam.
5. What evidence does Halberstam say the President was presented with to make the case for bombing?
(a) Jobs reports in districts where bombs were manufactured.
(b) Test results from the bomb manufacturers.
(c) U.S. soldiers' atrocities.
(d) U.S. soldiers' casualty rates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say became clear by the time Rolling Thunder had been in effect for six weeks?
2. What does Halberstam say was going to cause the realities of the war to be made public?
3. Who oversaw domestic operations of the operation code named 34A?
4. In what way does Halberstam say that Lyndon Johnson resembled Kennedy in his management style?
5. Who does Halberstam say set the tone for Vietnam policy for the beginning of the Johnson administration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Diem and Nhu during the coup?
2. Describe what Halberstam calls 'the Bundy trip' to Vietnam.
3. What did the Johnson administration tell America as it committed more troops to Vietnam?
4. Who expressed doubt about the Vietnam war, and what happened to their opposition?
5. What does Halberstam say McNamara found in Vietnam when the Johnson administration took over?
6. What was the military's position on bombing North Vietnam?
7. What were the questions people were asking on the issue of bombing the North?
8. What does Halberstam say was Johnson's approach to paying for the war?
9. What program did Maxwell Taylor call for in the paper he wrote on his way back from Vietnam?
10. What was President Johnson's position regarding Vietnam in the early days of his presidency?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)