|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor discovered was true about Khanh?
(a) Khanh was self-serving and corrupt.
(b) Khanh was another Diem.
(c) Khanh was an ineffectual leader.
(d) Khanh was an opportunist and a bad strategist.
2. Who was named commander of American forces in Vietnam in June 1964?
(a) General Harkins.
(b) Maxwell Taylor.
(c) Averell Harriman.
(d) General William C. Westmoreland.
3. What did the report that came out of the fact-finding trip to Vietnam in early 1965 ultimately advocate?
(a) Troops on the ground.
(b) Reprisals against the Vietcong.
(c) Diplomatic efforts.
4. What evidence does Halberstam say the President was presented with to make the case for bombing?
(a) Jobs reports in districts where bombs were manufactured.
(b) U.S. soldiers' atrocities.
(c) U.S. soldiers' casualty rates.
(d) Test results from the bomb manufacturers.
5. What does Halberstam say was Lyndon Johnson's feeling about the coup?
(a) He opposed it.
(b) He endorsed it.
(c) He turned a blind eye to it.
(d) He proposed it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was it who authorized a paper that would rationalize an exit from Vietnam?
2. In what way does Halberstam say that Lyndon Johnson resembled Kennedy in his management style?
3. What does Halberstam say the military had been telling President Johnson when he sent an investigative team to Vietnam?
4. What does Halberstam say was the military's opinion after the start of Rolling Thunder?
5. What problem does Halberstam say McNamara discovered in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Halberstam say became clear to the American government after Diem's death?
2. What happened during the second Gulf of Tonkin incident?
3. What were the alternatives the staff in Vietnam laid out for Maxwell Taylor when he visited Vietnam in the fall of 1964?
4. How did the reality of the war become public information?
5. What does Halberstam say the effect of the Vietnam war on the American people was?
6. What does Halberstam say McNamara found in Vietnam when the Johnson administration took over?
7. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
8. What does Halberstam say was Johnson's approach to paying for the war?
9. What did the Johnson administration tell America as it committed more troops to Vietnam?
10. What was President Johnson's position regarding Vietnam in the early days of his presidency?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)