|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Halberstam say the U.S. spun the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
(a) They said that the use of napalm was necessary now.
(b) They said that the U.S. plane was in international airspace.
(c) They said that the offensive was completely unexpected.
(d) They said that the U.S. ship had been attacked.
2. Why did President Johnson authorize bombing attacks on North Vietnam, in Halberstam's account?
(a) He thought that an overwhelming display of force would convince other nations in the region to accept American influence.
(b) He thought that bombing was a final resort, and after it failed, he could strategically withdraw.
(c) He thought that breaking Vietcong resistance would create trade opportunities for American companies.
(d) He believed that if Vietnam went Communist, the rest of the region would turn Communist as well.
3. Who was in charge of the operation code named 34A?
(a) General Harkins.
(b) Averell Harriman.
(c) McGeorge Bundy.
(d) General Westmoreland.
4. What does Halberstam say was the military's opinion after the start of Rolling Thunder?
(a) The military wanted to keep experimenting with saturation bombing techniques.
(b) The military predicted a war of attrition.
(c) The military thought the war would last six months.
(d) The military expected the campaign to bring victory in 3-5 years.
5. When did the Spring offensive start in Vietnam?
(a) June 1966.
(b) May 1965.
(c) March 1963.
(d) April 1964.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say the military had been telling President Johnson when he sent an investigative team to Vietnam?
2. What does Halberstam say was the outcome of the report on the bombing attacks?
3. What does Halberstam say was the beginning of the 'credibility gap'?
4. What stance does Halberstam say the administration took as the public sentiment deteriorated?
5. Who was the only administration insider arguing against escalation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Halberstam say began to change in early 1964?
2. How did the reality of the war become public information?
3. What was President Johnson's position with regard to bombing?
4. What does Halberstam say happened when Westmoreland assumed control?
5. What happened during the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
6. What was Rolling Thunder and what was its purpose?
7. What was President Johnson's position regarding Vietnam in the early days of his presidency?
8. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
9. What does Halberstam say was Johnson's approach to paying for the war?
10. What were the questions people were asking on the issue of bombing the North?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)