|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Halberstam say was the outcome of the report on the bombing attacks?
(a) The report resulted in the withdrawal of American combat troops.
(b) The report resulted justifiying sending more troops and bombers to Vietnam.
(c) The report was ignored, although it delayed the bombings.
(d) The report led to sanctions against the American military.
2. How was the situation changing in South Vietnam in early 1965?
(a) The Buddhists were becoming more restive.
(b) The Communists were winning more territory.
(c) The government was losing credibility.
(d) The civilians were becoming more passive.
3. What kind of problem does Halberstam say the cost of the war caused for the Johnson administration?
(a) Moral problems.
(b) Budget problems.
(c) Disclosure problems.
(d) Public relations problems.
4. When did the Spring offensive start in Vietnam?
(a) May 1965.
(b) March 1963.
(c) June 1966.
(d) April 1964.
5. What does Halberstam say was the result of the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
(a) Bombing of North Vietnam.
(b) A Northern offensive.
(c) An end of diplomacy.
(d) The use of napalm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say became clear by the time Rolling Thunder had been in effect for six weeks?
2. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor discovered was true about Khanh?
3. When does Halberstam say the Johnson administration realized that Bundy was necessary to their planning?
4. What feeling does Halberstam say Americans were feeling as the war went on and on?
5. What does Halberstam say was going to cause the realities of the war to be made public?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the result of the Spring Offensive?
2. What does Halberstam say the effect of the Vietnam war on the American people was?
3. What were the questions people were asking on the issue of bombing the North?
4. How did the reality of the war become public information?
5. What does Halberstam say was Johnson's approach to paying for the war?
6. What was Rolling Thunder and what was its purpose?
7. What was President Johnson's position with regard to bombing?
8. What was the intelligence community's assessment of Rolling Thunder?
9. What happened to Diem and Nhu during the coup?
10. What were the alternatives the staff in Vietnam laid out for Maxwell Taylor when he visited Vietnam in the fall of 1964?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)