|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was it who authorized a paper that would rationalize an exit from Vietnam?
(a) John McNaughton.
(b) McGeorge Bundy.
(c) Robert McNamara.
(d) Averell Harriman.
2. When did McNamara say the U.S. would be out of Vietnam, when he visited the country?
(a) By the end of 1968.
(b) By the end of 1965.
(c) By 1970.
(d) By the beginning of 1966.
3. What movement regarding the war does Halberstam say started at the University of California in Berkeley?
(a) The balanced budget movement.
(b) The Civil Rights movement.
(c) The peace movement.
(d) The Free Speech Movement.
4. Who does Halberstam say set the tone for Vietnam policy for the beginning of the Johnson administration?
5. What does Halberstam say General Westmoreland was asking President Johnson for, now that he was in control of Vietnam?
(a) More combat troops.
(b) More bombers.
(c) More fighter jets.
(d) More time.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Khanh overthrow the generals in Vietnam?
2. Who was the only administration insider arguing against escalation?
3. When did the Spring offensive start in Vietnam?
4. What does Halberstam say conditions were like in South Vietnam by the end of 1964?
5. Who oversaw domestic operations of the operation code named 34A?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the questions people were asking on the issue of bombing the North?
2. What was the public story of the Gulf of Tonkin incident, and what was the truth?
3. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
4. What was the military's position on bombing North Vietnam?
5. What was President Johnson's position with regard to bombing?
6. How did the reality of the war become public information?
7. What happened during the second Gulf of Tonkin incident?
8. What program did Maxwell Taylor call for in the paper he wrote on his way back from Vietnam?
9. What was Rolling Thunder and what was its purpose?
10. What does Halberstam say the effect of the Vietnam war on the American people was?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)