|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did McNamara say the U.S. would be out of Vietnam, when he visited the country?
(a) By the end of 1968.
(b) By the end of 1965.
(c) By the beginning of 1966.
(d) By 1970.
2. What had USAID done in Vietnam at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(a) Cut off commodity aid.
(b) Removed its military advisers.
(c) Refused to work with the American military.
(d) Recalled its missionaries.
3. What event does Halberstam say triggered bombing operations against the North?
(a) A North Vietnamese attack on American B-57 bombers.
(b) A North Vietnamese success in the Mekong Delta.
(c) The Bay of Pigs invasion.
(d) The Gulf of Tonkin Incident.
4. What did the report that came out of the fact-finding trip to Vietnam in early 1965 ultimately advocate?
(b) Reprisals against the Vietcong.
(c) Troops on the ground.
(d) Diplomatic efforts.
5. What evidence does Halberstam say the President was presented with to make the case for bombing?
(a) Test results from the bomb manufacturers.
(b) Jobs reports in districts where bombs were manufactured.
(c) U.S. soldiers' atrocities.
(d) U.S. soldiers' casualty rates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plan was the U.S. government preparing for by the end of 1964?
2. What stance does Halberstam say the administration took as the public sentiment deteriorated?
3. Who was in charge of the operation code named 34A?
4. Who does Halberstam say was making the case for bombing after the 1964 election?
5. Who traveled to Vietnam after the 1965 inauguration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Halberstam say McNamara found in Vietnam when the Johnson administration took over?
2. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
3. What does Halberstam say became clear to the American government after Diem's death?
4. What does Halberstam say was Johnson's approach to paying for the war?
5. What happened during the second Gulf of Tonkin incident?
6. What was the military's position on bombing North Vietnam?
7. What happened during the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
8. What does Halberstam say the effect of the Vietnam war on the American people was?
9. What was the public story of the Gulf of Tonkin incident, and what was the truth?
10. What program did Maxwell Taylor call for in the paper he wrote on his way back from Vietnam?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)