|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of problem does Halberstam say the cost of the war caused for the Johnson administration?
(a) Public relations problems.
(b) Budget problems.
(c) Disclosure problems.
(d) Moral problems.
2. What happened in the Gulf of Tonkin as a part of 34A?
(a) An American plane was shot down by Russian Migs.
(b) An American ship sunk a North Vietnamese PT boat.
(c) An American ship was torpedoed.
(d) The VIetcong launched missiles at an American plane.
3. What does Halberstam say happened when control shifted out of Taylor's hands in March and April 1965?
(a) Reports began to be issued with greater frequency.
(b) Reports began to describe American troops' atrocities.
(c) Reports began to be closer to actual realities.
(d) Reports began to reduce estimations of Vietcong troop strength.
4. What did Johnson say he needed before they could move against the North?
(a) Bipartisan support.
(b) Success in the Mekong delta.
(c) Success around Saigon.
(d) A stable government in the South.
5. What problem does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor had in Vietnam?
(a) Taylor could not get honest reporting.
(b) Taylor could not understand how the Vietcong withstood the bombings.
(c) Taylor could not control things like he had elsewhere.
(d) Taylor could not convince his superiors that conditions were bad.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Halberstam say that Lyndon Johnson resembled Kennedy in his management style?
2. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor discovered was true about Khanh?
3. What does Halberstam say was the purpose of operation Rolling Thunder?
4. What position did Maxwell Taylor begin to support as a result of his late 1964 trip to Vietnam?
5. What does Halberstam say was the Joint Chiefs of Staff's perception of the problem in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Rolling Thunder and what was its purpose?
2. What was the result of the first direct confrontation with Vietcong and American troops?
3. What was the intelligence community's assessment of Rolling Thunder?
4. What was Dean Rusk's role in Vietnam after Kennedy's assassination?
5. What happened during the second Gulf of Tonkin incident?
6. What happened to Diem and Nhu during the coup?
7. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
8. What was the public story of the Gulf of Tonkin incident, and what was the truth?
9. Who expressed doubt about the Vietnam war, and what happened to their opposition?
10. What does Halberstam say McNamara found in Vietnam when the Johnson administration took over?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)