|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did McNamara say the U.S. would be out of Vietnam, when he visited the country?
(a) By the end of 1965.
(b) By 1970.
(c) By the beginning of 1966.
(d) By the end of 1968.
2. What position did Maxwell Taylor begin to support as a result of his late 1964 trip to Vietnam?
(a) A bombing campaign against North Vietnam.
(b) Withdrawing troops from Vietnam.
(c) Renewing diplomatic efforts.
(d) International sanctions against North Vietnam.
3. What does Halberstam say happened to Diem and Nhu after they fled?
(a) They were captured and killed.
(b) They returned to power.
(c) They were granted haven in Japan.
(d) They reached America and settled there.
4. Who tipped off Senator Wayne Morse about the real situation of the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
(a) General Westmoreland.
(b) President Johnson.
(c) An anonymous caller.
(d) McGeorge Bundy.
5. When does Halberstam say that McNamara realized he had been misled about the conditions in Vietnam?
(a) In his December 1963 trip to Vietnam.
(b) In his March 1964 trip to Vietnam.
(c) When he read the military reports in December 1963.
(d) When he received envoys from Vietnam in March of 1964.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plan was the U.S. government preparing for by the end of 1964?
2. What does Halberstam say was the effect of the Gulf of Tonkin incident on the U.S. government?
3. When does Halberstam say the Johnson administration realized that Bundy was necessary to their planning?
4. What does Halberstam say was the result of Johnson's method of planning for the war?
5. What does Halberstam say the U.S. assured its generals during their meeting in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the result of the Spring Offensive?
2. What does Halberstam say began to change in early 1964?
3. What was President Johnson's position regarding Vietnam in the early days of his presidency?
4. What happened to Diem and Nhu during the coup?
5. What were the alternatives the staff in Vietnam laid out for Maxwell Taylor when he visited Vietnam in the fall of 1964?
6. What does Halberstam say the effect of the Vietnam war on the American people was?
7. What happened during the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
8. What was the military's position on bombing North Vietnam?
9. What program did Maxwell Taylor call for in the paper he wrote on his way back from Vietnam?
10. What happened during the second Gulf of Tonkin incident?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)