|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the outcome of the first confrontation between Vietcong and U.S. troops?
(a) 900 Vietcong casualties and 450 American casualties.
(b) 1,200 Vietcong casualties and 200 American casualties.
(c) 600 Vietcong casualties and no American casualties.
(d) 2,000 Vietcong casualties and 60 American casualties.
2. What does Halberstam say became clear by the time Rolling Thunder had been in effect for six weeks?
(a) That Rolling Thunder was breaking the Vietcong supply routes.
(b) That Rolling Thunder was not breaking the North's resistance.
(c) That it was only a matter of time until Hanoi capitulated.
(d) That Rolling Thunder was not going to make Hanoi capitulate.
3. How does Halberstam say the U.S. spun the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
(a) They said that the U.S. ship had been attacked.
(b) They said that the offensive was completely unexpected.
(c) They said that the U.S. plane was in international airspace.
(d) They said that the use of napalm was necessary now.
4. Who does Halberstam say was making the case for bombing after the 1964 election?
5. What happened in the Gulf of Tonkin as a part of 34A?
(a) An American plane was shot down by Russian Migs.
(b) The VIetcong launched missiles at an American plane.
(c) An American ship sunk a North Vietnamese PT boat.
(d) An American ship was torpedoed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was it who authorized a paper that would rationalize an exit from Vietnam?
2. Who was in charge of the operation code named 34A?
3. Who does Halberstam say set the tone for Vietnam policy for the beginning of the Johnson administration?
4. What does Halberstam say affected the American attitude toward the war?
5. What pressure does Halberstam say the events of September and October of 1963 relieved for Kennedy?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)