|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor had in Vietnam?
(a) Taylor could not get honest reporting.
(b) Taylor could not convince his superiors that conditions were bad.
(c) Taylor could not control things like he had elsewhere.
(d) Taylor could not understand how the Vietcong withstood the bombings.
2. Why does Halberstam say that September and October of 1963 were good for the Kennedy administration?
(a) There was accord on civil rights issues.
(b) The administration was prepared to pick up seats in special elections.
(c) The military made progress in the Mekong Delta.
(d) Averell Harriman made progress on the test ban treaty.
3. What does Halberstam say happened when control shifted out of Taylor's hands in March and April 1965?
(a) Reports began to be issued with greater frequency.
(b) Reports began to reduce estimations of Vietcong troop strength.
(c) Reports began to be closer to actual realities.
(d) Reports began to describe American troops' atrocities.
4. Who was named commander of American forces in Vietnam in June 1964?
(a) Averell Harriman.
(b) Maxwell Taylor.
(c) General William C. Westmoreland.
(d) General Harkins.
5. What event does Halberstam say triggered bombing operations against the North?
(a) A North Vietnamese attack on American B-57 bombers.
(b) The Gulf of Tonkin Incident.
(c) A North Vietnamese success in the Mekong Delta.
(d) The Bay of Pigs invasion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say was the beginning of the 'credibility gap'?
2. What was the outcome of the first confrontation between Vietcong and U.S. troops?
3. How does Halberstam say Kennedy was feeling about the war at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. What did Johnson say he needed before they could move against the North?
5. What does Halberstam say was the result of the Spring Offensive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Halberstam say began to change in early 1964?
2. What were the alternatives the staff in Vietnam laid out for Maxwell Taylor when he visited Vietnam in the fall of 1964?
3. Who expressed doubt about the Vietnam war, and what happened to their opposition?
4. What was Dean Rusk's role in Vietnam after Kennedy's assassination?
5. Describe what Halberstam calls 'the Bundy trip' to Vietnam.
6. What was President Johnson's position with regard to bombing?
7. What happened during the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
8. What does Halberstam say happened when Westmoreland assumed control?
9. What does Halberstam say became clear to the American government after Diem's death?
10. How did the reality of the war become public information?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)