|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did President Johnson send to Vietnam to investigate the situation there?
(a) General Harkin.
(b) General Johnson.
(c) Maxwell Taylor.
(d) General Westmoreland.
2. What does Halberstam say became clear by the time Rolling Thunder had been in effect for six weeks?
(a) That Rolling Thunder was not going to make Hanoi capitulate.
(b) That it was only a matter of time until Hanoi capitulated.
(c) That Rolling Thunder was not breaking the North's resistance.
(d) That Rolling Thunder was breaking the Vietcong supply routes.
3. What problem does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor had in Vietnam?
(a) Taylor could not control things like he had elsewhere.
(b) Taylor could not understand how the Vietcong withstood the bombings.
(c) Taylor could not get honest reporting.
(d) Taylor could not convince his superiors that conditions were bad.
4. What does Halberstam say was the purpose of operation Rolling Thunder?
(a) To display American airpower.
(b) To demonstrate the benefits of democracy.
(c) To open North Vietnamese markets.
(d) To force Hanoi to capitulate.
5. Who does Halberstam say remained loyal to Diem when the coup began?
(a) The people.
(b) The Palace Guard.
(c) The merchants.
(d) The southern part of the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the only administration insider arguing against escalation?
2. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor discovered was true about Khanh?
3. Why does Halberstam say that September and October of 1963 were good for the Kennedy administration?
4. Who oversaw domestic operations of the operation code named 34A?
5. What does Halberstam say was Lyndon Johnson's feeling about the coup?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the alternatives the staff in Vietnam laid out for Maxwell Taylor when he visited Vietnam in the fall of 1964?
2. What was the intelligence community's assessment of Rolling Thunder?
3. What did the Johnson administration tell America as it committed more troops to Vietnam?
4. What was the result of the first direct confrontation with Vietcong and American troops?
5. What program did Maxwell Taylor call for in the paper he wrote on his way back from Vietnam?
6. Describe what Halberstam calls 'the Bundy trip' to Vietnam.
7. Who expressed doubt about the Vietnam war, and what happened to their opposition?
8. How did the reality of the war become public information?
9. What happened during the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
10. What does Halberstam say happened when Westmoreland assumed control?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)