|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Paul Kattenburg's view of the war, in early 1964?
(a) He thought it was a waste of political and economic capital.
(b) He saw it as an experiment in nation-building.
(c) He doubted its correctness.
(d) He described it as a crusade.
2. When did McNamara say the U.S. would be out of Vietnam, when he visited the country?
(a) By 1970.
(b) By the end of 1968.
(c) By the beginning of 1966.
(d) By the end of 1965.
3. What happened in the Gulf of Tonkin as a part of 34A?
(a) An American plane was shot down by Russian Migs.
(b) The VIetcong launched missiles at an American plane.
(c) An American ship was torpedoed.
(d) An American ship sunk a North Vietnamese PT boat.
4. What event does Halberstam say triggered bombing operations against the North?
(a) A North Vietnamese success in the Mekong Delta.
(b) The Bay of Pigs invasion.
(c) The Gulf of Tonkin Incident.
(d) A North Vietnamese attack on American B-57 bombers.
5. What does Halberstam say was the military's opinion after the start of Rolling Thunder?
(a) The military thought the war would last six months.
(b) The military wanted to keep experimenting with saturation bombing techniques.
(c) The military predicted a war of attrition.
(d) The military expected the campaign to bring victory in 3-5 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pressure does Halberstam say the events of September and October of 1963 relieved for Kennedy?
2. What evidence does Halberstam say the President was presented with to make the case for bombing?
3. What does Halberstam say was decided at the April 20, 1965 meeting in Honolulu?
4. What did the fact-finding trip to Vietnam in early 1965 coincide with?
5. The war continued until which President took office?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)