|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the only administration insider arguing against escalation?
(a) Maxwell Taylor.
(b) McGeorge Bundy.
(c) George Ball.
(d) Averell Harriman.
2. What movement regarding the war does Halberstam say started at the University of California in Berkeley?
(a) The Free Speech Movement.
(b) The balanced budget movement.
(c) The Civil Rights movement.
(d) The peace movement.
3. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor discovered was true about Khanh?
(a) Khanh was an ineffectual leader.
(b) Khanh was an opportunist and a bad strategist.
(c) Khanh was self-serving and corrupt.
(d) Khanh was another Diem.
4. What does Halberstam say was the result of the Spring Offensive?
(a) General Westmoreland raised troop levels to 200,000.
(b) General Harkin withdrew from his post.
(c) The military employed more bombers.
(d) American troop levels were reduced to 20,000.
5. What did Johnson say he needed before they could move against the North?
(a) A stable government in the South.
(b) Success in the Mekong delta.
(c) Bipartisan support.
(d) Success around Saigon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say happened to Diem and Nhu after they fled?
2. Who oversaw domestic operations of the operation code named 34A?
3. Who traveled to Vietnam after the 1965 inauguration?
4. What does Halberstam say the U.S. assured its generals during their meeting in Vietnam?
5. What happened in the Gulf of Tonkin as a part of 34A?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the military's position on bombing North Vietnam?
2. What was the result of the first direct confrontation with Vietcong and American troops?
3. What was the result of the Spring Offensive?
4. What were the questions people were asking on the issue of bombing the North?
5. What happened during the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
6. What was Rolling Thunder and what was its purpose?
7. What was the intelligence community's assessment of Rolling Thunder?
8. What was the public story of the Gulf of Tonkin incident, and what was the truth?
9. What was President Johnson's position regarding Vietnam in the early days of his presidency?
10. What was President Johnson's position with regard to bombing?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)