|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Halberstam say Lyndon Johnson felt in the Kennedy administration?
(a) He felt like a relic of previous administrations.
(b) He felt like a midwesterner among East-coast men.
(c) He felt like a teacher among his students.
(d) He felt like a socialist among capitalists.
2. What does Halberstam say McNamara learned that he had to do in order to argue against nuclear weapons?
(a) Discredit military analysts in favor of nuclear weapons.
(b) Make a good argument for conventional weapons.
(c) Make emotional appeals to the electorate.
(d) Demonize his opponents.
3. Which situation had the biggest effect on the Kennedy administration in 1961?
(a) The Bay of Pigs.
(b) China policy.
(c) The Gulf of Tonkin incident.
(d) The financial crisis.
4. Whose theories had been used as the basis for expanded militarization in the late 1940s?
(a) George Kennan's.
(b) Chester Bowles'.
(c) Robert McNamara's.
(d) McGeorge Bundy's.
5. What did the Geneva Convention decide in Vietnam?
(a) It sanctioned the north for its attacks on the south.
(b) It determined how prisoners of war would be exchanged.
(c) It established a procedure for holding elections.
(d) It divided the country in two, a north and a south.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Halberstam say McNamara learned about the affairs in Vietnam?
2. What mistake had the Kennedy administration made in the Bay of Pigs invasion?
3. Where was the war going badly, at the time when the White House was losing faith in Diem?
4. How did Kennedy see Adlai Stevenson?
5. Why didn't Kennedy formulate a China policy, in Halberstam's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the meeting between Lovett and Kennedy play in the press?
2. What was the Kennedy administration's image with the American people?
3. What was the Kennedy administration's stance with regard to Russia?
4. What crises confronted the Kennedy administration in 1961?
5. How did the fall of China and the Cold War affect the Kennedy administration?
6. Why didn't the U.S. gain the loyalty of the Vietnamese peasants?
7. Describe the confrontation in Laos.
8. What did Lovett and Kennedy discuss during their meeting?
9. Who was Robert A. Lovett, and what does Halberstam say he signified for Kennedy?
10. Who was Dean Rusk, and what was his role and place in the Kennedy administration?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)