|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Halberstam say McNamara had done while he was at Ford?
(a) Busted a unionization attempt.
(b) Created a fiscal crisis.
(c) Innovated in the design of the production process.
(d) Raised the quality of the product without raising the cost.
2. What was Kennedy's relationship with the press during his presidential campaign?
(a) He had the support of most of the press.
(b) He had a number of hostile enemies in the press.
(c) He had to quash a few stories that were critical to his campaign.
(d) He had a contentious relationship with the press.
3. Whom had Eleanor Roosevelt wanted Kennedy to appoint as Secretary of State?
(a) Dean Rusk.
(b) Chester Bowles.
(c) Adlai Stevenson.
(d) Robert McNamara.
4. Why did Robert Lovett demur about being appointed in the Kennedy administration?
(a) He did not like Kennedy.
(b) He had health problems.
(c) He was newly a father.
(d) He was in financial trouble.
5. Where does the book open?
(a) Kennedy's Georgetown townhouse.
(b) Kennedy's family home in Massachusetts.
(d) Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. What issue did Joseph McCarthy use to energize voters?
2. How did the Kennedy administration see the war in Vietnam?
3. Which problem did NOT arise for the Kennedy administration during 1961?
4. Whom did Kennedy want to act as Secretary of State?
5. Why did the Americans back down on demands for reform in Vietnam in 1962, in Halberstam's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the American government's relationship with Diem in 1961?
2. Who was Dean Rusk, and what was his role and place in the Kennedy administration?
3. How did the White House eventually try to limit the military?
4. Who was Robert A. Lovett, and what does Halberstam say he signified for Kennedy?
5. Describe the confrontation in Laos.
6. Whom did Kennedy consider for the position of Secretary of State?
7. Why didn't the U.S. gain the loyalty of the Vietnamese peasants?
8. What were Americans beginning to say with regard to Diem after the Buddhist monk problems began?
9. Describe the atmosphere in America when Kennedy took office.
10. What crises confronted the Kennedy administration in 1961?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)