|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the problem with the Buddhist monks begin?
(a) April 1962.
(b) November 1962.
(c) March 1961.
(d) May 1963.
2. What does Halberstam say was the state of tensions within the White House as involvement in Vietnam escalated?
(a) Long and open debates brought new ideas to the policies.
(b) Aides gathered around Kennedy's will.
(c) Anyone who disagreed with Kennedy was removed.
(d) There were many disagreements.
3. What had happened to reduce the Communism threat by the time McNamara took over as Secretary of Defense?
(a) McCarthy had purged Communists from American politics.
(b) Cuba had instituted its own version of Communism.
(c) Russia and China had split.
(d) Communism had failed in North Korea.
4. What did Robert Lovett remember about Kennedy after the assassination?
(a) Kennedy's youth and inexperience.
(b) Kennedy's weakness in the face of challenges.
(c) Kennedy's kindness and consideration.
(d) Kennedy's romantic ideology.
5. What does Halberstam say was the result of the Thanksgiving Day Massacre?
(a) Troops were withdrawn from the Mekong Delta.
(b) Kennedy increased the number of troops in Vietnam.
(c) Averell Harriman was named Assistant Secretary of State for Far Eastern Affairs.
(d) Maxwell Taylor was removed from his position.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did the Kennedy administration take with regard to nuclear disarmament?
2. What policies had Robert Lovett been involved in crafting?
3. What does Halberstam say was the sense in the Kennedy administration as they came into office?
4. When did Kennedy first send advisers to Vietnam?
5. How many soldiers had the U.S. sent to Vietnam in its first commitment of troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Diem and the U.S. end up working together?
2. Who was Dean Rusk, and what was his role and place in the Kennedy administration?
3. How did the meeting between Lovett and Kennedy play in the press?
4. Describe the atmosphere in America when Kennedy took office.
5. How did the fall of China and the Cold War affect the Kennedy administration?
6. What does Halberstam say was McNamara's relationship with Kennedy?
7. Who was Chester Bowles, and what did Kennedy get by tapping Bowles to be an adviser?
8. What three plans does Halberstam say the U.S. was considering in Vietnam in 1961?
9. How did the White House eventually try to limit the military?
10. Who was Robert McNamara and what was his role in the formation of Vietnam policy?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)