|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What events does Halberstam say affected American perceptions of its global priorities?
(a) The agitation of labor unions in America and Europe.
(b) The escalation of the Cold War and the fall of China.
(c) The revolution in Cuba.
(d) The tension over civil rights in America.
2. What kind of reports does Halberstam say would come from the head of the U.S. command after his 1962 appointment?
(a) Pragmatic and diplomatic reports.
(b) Reports that were imperial propaganda.
(c) Unrealistic reports.
(d) Highly detailed reports.
3. What does Halberstam say was the sense in the Kennedy administration as they came into office?
(a) They were going to conquer the Russians.
(b) They were going to continue the country's prosperity.
(c) They were going to institute a new era of peace.
(d) They were going to get the country moving again.
4. What policy did Rostow support in Vietnam?
(a) Battleship diplomacy.
(b) An aggressive anti-Communist policy.
(c) A policy of rapprochement.
(d) An appeasement policy.
5. How did McNamara achieve his goals while he was at Ford?
(a) He intimidated his inferiors.
(b) He inspired his underlings with rhetoric.
(c) He got his people to compete against each other.
(d) He used a bonus system.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why hadn't Roosevelt stopped the French from returning to Indochina after the war, in Halberstam's account?
2. How many soldiers had the U.S. sent to Vietnam in its first commitment of troops?
3. Where does Halberstam say McNamara found people to work under him as Secretary of Defense?
4. On which issue does Halberstam say Kennedy compromised with the military?
5. Whom did Kennedy ask to be Secretary of State instead of Adlai Stevenson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crises confronted the Kennedy administration in 1961?
2. What did Lovett and Kennedy discuss during their meeting?
3. What does Halberstam say was Robert McNamara's background before becoming Secretary of Defense?
4. What was the Kennedy administration's stance with regard to Russia?
5. Describe the confrontation in Laos.
6. What was the Kennedy administration's image with the American people?
7. Who was Kennedy, and how did he become well known?
8. What was McNamara's stance with regard to nuclear weapons?
9. Describe the atmosphere in America when Kennedy took office.
10. How did the meeting between Lovett and Kennedy play in the press?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)