|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had Ho Chi Minh's communism associations been known to the U.S., in Halberstam's account?
(a) Since 1941.
(b) Since 1954.
(c) Since 1931.
(d) Since 1946.
2. What had McNamara done by the time he took over as Secretary of Defense?
(a) Instituted successful reforms at Ford.
(b) Consulted with Kennedy about his goals and methods.
(c) Studied and identified the problems at the Pentagon.
(d) Reviewed American foreign policy.
3. Who was named to head the U.S. command in Saigon in January 1962?
(a) Robert McNamara.
(b) Chester Bowles.
(c) Maxwell Taylor.
(d) Paul Harkins.
4. What family was McGeorge Bundy descended from?
(a) The New York Blisses.
(b) The Roosevelts.
(c) The New England Lowells.
(d) The Rockefellers.
5. What does Halberstam say happened that threatened the relationship between Diem and the Buddhists?
(a) The people backed the Buddhists against Diem.
(b) Diem and Nhu retreated into aristocratic aloofness.
(c) The Buddhists expanded their protests.
(d) Diem reneged on his promises.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Kennedy's followers feel about Chester Bowles' ideas?
2. What kind of reports does Halberstam say would come from the head of the U.S. command after his 1962 appointment?
3. What state does Halberstam say the Vietcong were in when Kennedy sent the fact-finding mission in 1961?
4. What had Robert Lovett been before entering government?
5. What committee had Kennedy served on in the Senate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the meeting between Lovett and Kennedy play in the press?
2. How did the White House eventually try to limit the military?
3. How did the situation in Vietnam unfold?
4. What three plans does Halberstam say the U.S. was considering in Vietnam in 1961?
5. What does Halberstam say became clear to the American government after Diem's death?
6. Who was Robert A. Lovett, and what does Halberstam say he signified for Kennedy?
7. Who was Kennedy, and how did he become well known?
8. What program did Maxwell Taylor call for in the paper he wrote on his way back from Vietnam?
9. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor said were the three issues confronting the U.S. in its Vietnam planning?
10. What were the alternatives the staff in Vietnam laid out for Maxwell Taylor when he visited Vietnam in the fall of 1964?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)