|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How big a margin did Kennedy win the presidency by?
(a) 1,000,000 votes.
(b) 1.5 million votes.
(c) 500,000 votes.
(d) 100,000 votes.
2. Why was Chester Bowles assigned to a different position?
(a) He had disgraced himself by having an affair with one of his pages.
(b) He had leaked confidential information to the press.
(c) He had quarreled with Bobby Kennedy over who was in charge in Kennedy's absence.
(d) He had been caught saying embarrassing things on an open mic.
3. What does Halberstam say happened that strained the relationship between Diem and the Buddhists?
(a) The government raided the pagodas and blamed it on the army.
(b) The Buddhists martyred themselves in opposition to the government.
(c) The government seized land and temples from the Buddhists.
(d) The Buddhists instigated confrontations with the army.
4. What did Chester Bowles think was the most important issue to confront?
(a) Budget cuts.
(c) Race issues.
(d) Military expansion.
5. What kind of reports does Halberstam say would come from the head of the U.S. command after his 1962 appointment?
(a) Unrealistic reports.
(b) Pragmatic and diplomatic reports.
(c) Highly detailed reports.
(d) Reports that were imperial propaganda.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Robert Lovett represent for Kennedy?
2. What does Halberstam say marked the end of the generals' faith in Diem?
3. What issue did Joseph McCarthy use to energize voters?
4. What had happened to reduce the Communism threat by the time McNamara took over as Secretary of Defense?
5. What had McNamara done by the time he took over as Secretary of Defense?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crises confronted the Kennedy administration in 1961?
2. Whom did Kennedy consider for the position of Secretary of State?
3. How did the fall of China and the Cold War affect the Kennedy administration?
4. Describe the atmosphere in America when Kennedy took office.
5. Describe the confrontation in Laos.
6. Who was Dean Rusk, and what was his role and place in the Kennedy administration?
7. Describe Vietnam's problems with the Buddhist monks.
8. Who was Kennedy, and how did he become well known?
9. Who was Robert A. Lovett, and what does Halberstam say he signified for Kennedy?
10. Describe U.S. engagements in Vietnam in the 1950s.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)