|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Robert Lovett recommend to Kennedy for Secretary of Defense?
(a) Robert McNamara.
(b) Dean Rusk.
(c) McGeorge Bundy.
(d) Chester Bowles.
2. What does Halberstam say the U.S. government had to rely on once it had advisers in Vietnam?
(a) Reporters and aid workers.
(b) Reports from the military.
(c) Diplomatic accounts from Vietnam.
(d) Strategists in the Pentagon.
3. What were Eleanor Roosevelt's feelings about Kennedy?
(a) She admired his leadership.
(b) She resented his inexperience.
(c) She did not entirely trust him.
(d) She distrusted his Catholicism.
4. Which issue was NOT confronting the nation when the Kennedy administration took office?
(a) China policy.
(c) Civil rights.
5. How did the Kennedy administration see the war in Vietnam?
(a) As a boon to the military contractors.
(b) As a diversion from domestic problems.
(c) As a war against Communism.
(d) As a gift to Asian allies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Kennedy administration represent to America?
2. What issue did Joseph McCarthy use to energize voters?
3. When Kennedy did not authorize more troops, what does Halberstam say he told the Pentagon?
4. Where does the book open?
5. When did the problem with the Buddhist monks begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the confrontation in Laos.
2. What was the Kennedy administration's image with the American people?
3. What did Kennedy's representatives report back after their 1961 fact-finding mission?
4. Who was Kennedy, and how did he become well known?
5. How did the situation in Vietnam unfold?
6. What three plans does Halberstam say the U.S. was considering in Vietnam in 1961?
7. What were Americans beginning to say with regard to Diem after the Buddhist monk problems began?
8. Who was Robert A. Lovett, and what does Halberstam say he signified for Kennedy?
9. What kind of reports does Halberstam say the U.S. got from Vietnam?
10. What was the American government's relationship with Diem in 1961?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)