|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Halberstam say McNamara learned about the affairs in Vietnam?
(a) By talking to people.
(b) By reading reports.
(c) By seeing for himself.
(d) By conducting academic studies.
2. Which problem did NOT arise for the Kennedy administration during 1961?
(a) Bay of Pigs invasion.
(b) Arms race.
(c) Financial crisis.
(d) Escalation of problems in Laos.
3. Where does Halberstam say McNamara found people to work under him as Secretary of Defense?
(c) The auto industry.
4. How did Kennedy see Adlai Stevenson?
(a) He saw Adlai Stevenson as principled.
(b) He saw Adlai Stevenson as lazy.
(c) He saw Adlai Stevenson as an ideologue.
(d) He saw Adlai Stevenson as indecisive.
5. Why didn't Kennedy offer the position of Secretary of State to McGeorge Bundy?
(a) Bundy did not have the support of the Jews.
(b) Bundy had a reputation for saying damaging things off the cuff.
(c) Bundy was too old and conservative.
(d) Bundy was a Republican and too young.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the first confrontation take place in Indochina?
2. What policy did Rostow support in Vietnam?
3. What did Robert Lovett remember about Kennedy after the assassination?
4. Why didn't Kennedy offer the position of Secretary of State to J. William Fulbright?
5. What does Halberstam say was the state of tensions within the White House as involvement in Vietnam escalated?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the meeting between Lovett and Kennedy play in the press?
2. Describe the confrontation in Laos.
3. What does Halberstam say became clear to the American government after Diem's death?
4. How did the fall of China and the Cold War affect the Kennedy administration?
5. What three plans does Halberstam say the U.S. was considering in Vietnam in 1961?
6. What did Kennedy's representatives report back after their 1961 fact-finding mission?
7. Why did Diem and the U.S. end up working together?
8. What crises confronted the Kennedy administration in 1961?
9. What happened to Diem and Nhu during the coup?
10. What does Halberstam say was Johnson's approach to paying for the war?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)