|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Halberstam say McNamara found people to work under him as Secretary of Defense?
(c) The auto industry.
2. When did the problem with the Buddhist monks begin?
(a) November 1962.
(b) March 1961.
(c) April 1962.
(d) May 1963.
3. How does Halberstam say Dean Rusk felt in the Kennedy administration?
(a) He felt like a new kid without enough respect.
(b) He always felt like an outsider.
(c) He felt like the smartest of the bunch.
(d) He felt like the spokesman of the party.
4. What does Halberstam say McNamara tried to do with his fact-finding missions to Vietnam?
(a) Publish the truth.
(b) Protect the President.
(c) Conceal the deteriorating conditions.
(d) Provide a forum for dissenting soldiers.
5. What was Kennedy's position on the Cold War policies of his predecessors?
(a) He was going to continue them.
(b) He was going to end them.
(c) He was going to improve on them.
(d) He did not want to follow them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say was the state of tensions within the White House as involvement in Vietnam escalated?
2. What does Halberstam say was the sense in the Kennedy administration as they came into office?
3. What does Halberstam say happened that strained the relationship between Diem and the Buddhists?
4. What kind of reports does Halberstam say would come from the head of the U.S. command after his 1962 appointment?
5. Whom had Eleanor Roosevelt wanted Kennedy to appoint as Secretary of State?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Chester Bowles, and what did Kennedy get by tapping Bowles to be an adviser?
2. Describe the confrontation in Laos.
3. What crises confronted the Kennedy administration in 1961?
4. Who was Kennedy, and how did he become well known?
5. How did the White House eventually try to limit the military?
6. What kind of reports does Halberstam say the U.S. got from Vietnam?
7. Who was Robert McNamara and what was his role in the formation of Vietnam policy?
8. Why does Halberstam say Chester Bowles' popularity faded?
9. What was the Kennedy administration's stance with regard to Russia?
10. What was the Kennedy administration's image with the American people?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)