Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did McNamara say the U.S. would be out of Vietnam, when he visited the country?
(a) By the end of 1965.
(b) By the beginning of 1966.
(c) By 1970.
(d) By the end of 1968.
2. What evidence does Halberstam give for the deterioration of the mood in America?
(a) Confrontational anti-war protests.
(b) Seats being lost in mid-term elections.
(c) Civil rights protests.
(d) Budget fights in the Senate.
3. What plan was the U.S. government following by the end of 1964?
(a) Expand the pacification program.
(b) Restrict operations to bombing missions.
(c) Limit bombing but increase troops on the ground.
(d) Pour as many resources as necessary into Vietnam.
4. What does Halberstam say was the conclusion of the study that analyzed the results of a bombing attack against the north?
(a) The report concluded that bombing would deter any further guerilla-style attacks against the South.
(b) The report concluded that bombing would break the Vietcong's supply routes, and end resistance.
(c) The report concluded that bombing would strengthen the North by building opposition to the Americans.
(d) The report concluded that bombing would overwhelm the people, and drain support for further attacks.
5. Who was the only administration insider arguing against escalation?
(a) Averell Harriman.
(b) Maxwell Taylor.
(c) George Ball.
(d) McGeorge Bundy.
6. What was McNamara beginning to suspect in Vietnam?
(a) The patience of the American electorate.
(b) Diem's trustworthiness.
(c) The accuracy of bleak military reports.
(d) The capacity for victory in a guerilla war.
7. Who was in charge of the operation code named 34A?
(a) McGeorge Bundy.
(b) General Harkins.
(c) Averell Harriman.
(d) General Westmoreland.
8. What did Hanoi do in response to U.S. war games in the South?
(a) Launch the Gulf of Tonkin attacks.
(b) Withdraw troops from the South.
(c) Seek peace talks.
(d) Send more Vietcong down the trails.
9. What happened in the Gulf of Tonkin as a part of 34A?
(a) An American plane was shot down by Russian Migs.
(b) An American ship sunk a North Vietnamese PT boat.
(c) An American ship was torpedoed.
(d) The VIetcong launched missiles at an American plane.
10. What did the fact-finding trip to Vietnam in early 1965 coincide with?
(a) The creation of Social Security in America.
(b) The assassination of Martin Luther King. Jr.
(c) Civil rights demonstrations in Alabama.
(d) Premiere Kosygin's visit to Hanoi.
11. When did Khanh overthrow the generals in Vietnam?
(a) December, 1964.
(b) December, 1963.
(c) February, 1964.
(d) April, 1965.
12. What was the outcome of the first confrontation between Vietcong and U.S. troops?
(a) 600 Vietcong casualties and no American casualties.
(b) 1,200 Vietcong casualties and 200 American casualties.
(c) 2,000 Vietcong casualties and 60 American casualties.
(d) 900 Vietcong casualties and 450 American casualties.
13. Whose staff does Halberstam say outlined three responses to the American bombing campaign?
(a) General Harkin.
(b) General Westmoreland.
(c) McGeorge Bundy.
(d) Maxwell Taylor.
14. Who does Halberstam say was making the case for bombing after the 1964 election?
15. What plan was the U.S. government preparing for by the end of 1964?
(a) Bring in a coalition of forces against the Vietcong.
(b) Strike directly against China.
(c) Have the South take military action against the North.
(d) Have Cambodia and Laos intervene.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say was the result of Johnson's method of planning for the war?
2. What does Halberstam say happened to Diem and Nhu after they fled?
3. What does Halberstam say was the result of the Spring Offensive?
4. What feeling does Halberstam say Americans were feeling as the war went on and on?
5. What problem does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor had in Vietnam?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)