|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lyndon Johnson want to be remembered, in Halberstam's account?
(a) As an expert.
(b) As a diplomat.
(c) As a force for peace.
(d) As an achiever.
2. What was McNamara beginning to suspect in Vietnam?
(a) The accuracy of bleak military reports.
(b) The patience of the American electorate.
(c) The capacity for victory in a guerilla war.
(d) Diem's trustworthiness.
3. What problem does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor had in Vietnam?
(a) Taylor could not control things like he had elsewhere.
(b) Taylor could not convince his superiors that conditions were bad.
(c) Taylor could not get honest reporting.
(d) Taylor could not understand how the Vietcong withstood the bombings.
4. What plan was the U.S. government preparing for by the end of 1964?
(a) Strike directly against China.
(b) Have Cambodia and Laos intervene.
(c) Have the South take military action against the North.
(d) Bring in a coalition of forces against the Vietcong.
5. What does Halberstam say the military had been telling President Johnson when he sent an investigative team to Vietnam?
(a) They had been telling him that conditions were improving.
(b) They had been telling him to send more troops.
(c) They had been telling him to bomb.
(d) They had been telling him to withdraw.
6. What does Halberstam say happened to Diem and Nhu after they fled?
(a) They were granted haven in Japan.
(b) They were captured and killed.
(c) They reached America and settled there.
(d) They returned to power.
7. How did McNamara's position on bombing change over time?
(a) Years later, he would say that he had doubts about how useful bombing would be.
(b) After the first weeks, he was sure that bombing would end the war.
(c) After a year, he reversed his position entirely.
(d) After a few months, he was convinced of bombing's effectiveness.
8. What did Hanoi do in response to U.S. war games in the South?
(a) Launch the Gulf of Tonkin attacks.
(b) Seek peace talks.
(c) Send more Vietcong down the trails.
(d) Withdraw troops from the South.
9. Whose staff does Halberstam say outlined three responses to the American bombing campaign?
(a) General Westmoreland.
(b) McGeorge Bundy.
(c) Maxwell Taylor.
(d) General Harkin.
10. What event does Halberstam say triggered bombing operations against the North?
(a) The Bay of Pigs invasion.
(b) A North Vietnamese success in the Mekong Delta.
(c) A North Vietnamese attack on American B-57 bombers.
(d) The Gulf of Tonkin Incident.
11. Who was the only administration insider arguing against escalation?
(a) Averell Harriman.
(b) George Ball.
(c) McGeorge Bundy.
(d) Maxwell Taylor.
12. Who was named commander of American forces in Vietnam in June 1964?
(a) Averell Harriman.
(b) General Harkins.
(c) Maxwell Taylor.
(d) General William C. Westmoreland.
13. What does Halberstam say was Lyndon Johnson's feeling about the coup?
(a) He opposed it.
(b) He endorsed it.
(c) He turned a blind eye to it.
(d) He proposed it.
14. When does Halberstam say the President's thinking about bombing began to change?
(a) After he realized that Khanh was not an effective leader.
(b) After the Vietcong attack on Qui Nhon.
(c) After the media began to carry explicit photos from the front.
(d) After the 1964 elections.
15. What was the outcome of the first confrontation between Vietcong and U.S. troops?
(a) 1,200 Vietcong casualties and 200 American casualties.
(b) 600 Vietcong casualties and no American casualties.
(c) 900 Vietcong casualties and 450 American casualties.
(d) 2,000 Vietcong casualties and 60 American casualties.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Halberstam say was especially vocal in calling for a change in U.S. Vietnam policy?
2. What does Halberstam say was the result of Johnson's method of planning for the war?
3. What did the fact-finding trip to Vietnam in early 1965 coincide with?
4. What had USAID done in Vietnam at the beginning of Chapter 15?
5. What strategy does Halberstam say evolved out of the struggle over troop strength?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)