|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the war going well, at the time when the White House was losing faith in Diem, according to Halberstam?
(a) In Quang Nam.
(b) In Pleiku.
(c) In the Mekong Delta.
(d) Around Saigon.
2. What issue did Joseph McCarthy use to energize voters?
(a) Civil rights.
(b) Arms reduction.
(c) Tax cuts.
(d) Communism conspiracies.
3. Whom did Robert Lovett recommend to Kennedy for Secretary of Defense?
(a) McGeorge Bundy.
(b) Chester Bowles.
(c) Dean Rusk.
(d) Robert McNamara.
4. How many troops were in Vietnam when Kennedy was assassinated?
5. What does Halberstam say was Robert McNamara's role in the White House policy discussions?
(a) McNamara enforced Kennedy's will.
(b) McNamara filled in the details of others' plans.
(c) McNamara dominated discussions.
(d) McNamara followed the will of the other advisers.
6. What did Kennedy represent to Eleanor Roosevelt's followers?
(a) Old guard.
(b) The new breed.
7. Whom did Kennedy want to act as Secretary of State?
(a) Adlai Stevenson.
(b) He was going to act as his own Secretary of State.
(c) Chester Bowles.
(d) He was going to abolish the position of Secretary of State.
8. What had McNamara done by the time he took over as Secretary of Defense?
(a) Reviewed American foreign policy.
(b) Instituted successful reforms at Ford.
(c) Studied and identified the problems at the Pentagon.
(d) Consulted with Kennedy about his goals and methods.
9. What was Kennedy's relationship with the press during his presidential campaign?
(a) He had the support of most of the press.
(b) He had to quash a few stories that were critical to his campaign.
(c) He had a contentious relationship with the press.
(d) He had a number of hostile enemies in the press.
10. How did Kennedy see Adlai Stevenson?
(a) He saw Adlai Stevenson as indecisive.
(b) He saw Adlai Stevenson as an ideologue.
(c) He saw Adlai Stevenson as lazy.
(d) He saw Adlai Stevenson as principled.
11. When Kennedy did not authorize more troops, what does Halberstam say he told the Pentagon?
(a) To prepare a larger engagement.
(b) To develop an exit strategy.
(c) To plan to redeploy combat troops.
(d) To develop plans to expand the war to Cambodia.
12. How many soldiers had the U.S. sent to Vietnam in its first commitment of troops?
(a) 20,000 troops.
(b) 100,000 troops.
(c) 400 Special forces and 3,000 troops.
(d) 8 military advisers.
13. What did Kennedy ask Chester Bowles for advice on?
(a) Foreign policy.
(b) Budget cuts.
(d) Military analysis.
14. What policy did Rostow support in Vietnam?
(a) An aggressive anti-Communist policy.
(b) A policy of rapprochement.
(c) An appeasement policy.
(d) Battleship diplomacy.
15. Where did the first confrontation take place in Indochina?
Short Answer Questions
1. What made McGeorge Bundy an effective administrator?
2. Which of these was NOT a point of disagreement between the White House and the military, in Halberstam's account?
3. What did Robert Lovett represent for Kennedy?
4. What policies had Robert Lovett been involved in crafting?
5. Whom had Eleanor Roosevelt wanted Kennedy to appoint as Secretary of State?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)