|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Halberstam say happened that threatened the relationship between Diem and the Buddhists?
(a) The Buddhists expanded their protests.
(b) Diem reneged on his promises.
(c) Diem and Nhu retreated into aristocratic aloofness.
(d) The people backed the Buddhists against Diem.
2. Where did the first confrontation take place in Indochina?
3. Why did Robert Lovett demur about being appointed in the Kennedy administration?
(a) He did not like Kennedy.
(b) He was in financial trouble.
(c) He had health problems.
(d) He was newly a father.
4. What state does Halberstam say the Vietcong were in when Kennedy sent the fact-finding mission in 1961?
(a) They had opposition in the civilian populace.
(b) They were using guerilla tactics ineffectively.
(c) They were fragmented and plagued with in-fighting.
(d) They were committed and had good leadership.
5. What does Halberstam say was the sense in the Kennedy administration as they came into office?
(a) They were going to get the country moving again.
(b) They were going to continue the country's prosperity.
(c) They were going to institute a new era of peace.
(d) They were going to conquer the Russians.
6. What had Robert Lovett been before entering government?
(a) An automobile executive.
(b) A career military officer.
(c) An insurance salesman.
(d) An investment banker.
7. What family was McGeorge Bundy descended from?
(a) The Rockefellers.
(b) The New England Lowells.
(c) The New York Blisses.
(d) The Roosevelts.
8. Where was the war going well, at the time when the White House was losing faith in Diem, according to Halberstam?
(a) In Quang Nam.
(b) In Pleiku.
(c) In the Mekong Delta.
(d) Around Saigon.
9. Why was Chester Bowles assigned to a different position?
(a) He had quarreled with Bobby Kennedy over who was in charge in Kennedy's absence.
(b) He had disgraced himself by having an affair with one of his pages.
(c) He had leaked confidential information to the press.
(d) He had been caught saying embarrassing things on an open mic.
10. What did the Geneva Convention decide in Vietnam?
(a) It determined how prisoners of war would be exchanged.
(b) It sanctioned the north for its attacks on the south.
(c) It established a procedure for holding elections.
(d) It divided the country in two, a north and a south.
11. What had happened to reduce the Communism threat by the time McNamara took over as Secretary of Defense?
(a) Communism had failed in North Korea.
(b) Russia and China had split.
(c) Cuba had instituted its own version of Communism.
(d) McCarthy had purged Communists from American politics.
12. How did the Kennedy administration see the war in Vietnam?
(a) As a boon to the military contractors.
(b) As a diversion from domestic problems.
(c) As a war against Communism.
(d) As a gift to Asian allies.
13. What does Halberstam say was the state of tensions within the White House as involvement in Vietnam escalated?
(a) Aides gathered around Kennedy's will.
(b) Long and open debates brought new ideas to the policies.
(c) There were many disagreements.
(d) Anyone who disagreed with Kennedy was removed.
14. How does Halberstam say Lyndon Johnson felt in the Kennedy administration?
(a) He felt like a midwesterner among East-coast men.
(b) He felt like a socialist among capitalists.
(c) He felt like a teacher among his students.
(d) He felt like a relic of previous administrations.
15. What position had Robert Lovett been appointed to in 1947?
(a) Secretary of the Interior.
(b) Secretary of State.
(c) Secretary of Defense.
(d) Undersecretary of State.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made McGeorge Bundy an effective administrator?
2. What kind of reports does Halberstam say would come from the head of the U.S. command after his 1962 appointment?
3. What did the fact-finding mission discover at about the time of the problem with the Buddhist monks?
4. What does Halberstam say marked the end of the generals' faith in Diem?
5. Whom did Robert Lovett recommend to Kennedy for Secretary of Defense?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)