|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Kennedy want to act as Secretary of State?
(a) He was going to act as his own Secretary of State.
(b) He was going to abolish the position of Secretary of State.
(c) Chester Bowles.
(d) Adlai Stevenson.
2. Why didn't Kennedy offer the position of Secretary of State to David Bruce?
(a) Bruce was felt to be too old.
(b) Bruce was felt to be too conservative.
(c) Bruce was felt to be too academic.
(d) Bruce was felt to be too young.
3. Whose input did the French and Americans ignore about Vietnam, in Halberstam's account?
(a) Military advisers.
(c) Lower-level officers.
4. What did Chester Bowles think was the most important issue to confront?
(a) Race issues.
(b) Budget cuts.
(c) Military expansion.
5. Where does the book open?
(a) Kennedy's Georgetown townhouse.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(d) Kennedy's family home in Massachusetts.
6. How does Halberstam say Lyndon Johnson felt in the Kennedy administration?
(a) He felt like a teacher among his students.
(b) He felt like a midwesterner among East-coast men.
(c) He felt like a relic of previous administrations.
(d) He felt like a socialist among capitalists.
7. What issue had Kennedy and Dean Rusk had to discuss when Dean Rusk was offered the Secretary of State job?
(a) Family values.
(c) Personal morality.
(d) Rusk's Judaism.
8. What was the recommendation that came out of the fact-finding mission of 1961?
(a) That the U.S. send 8,000 troops.
(b) That the U.S. send 100,000 troops.
(c) That the U.S. commit military advisers.
(d) That the U.S. commit 20,000 troops.
9. When did Kennedy first send advisers to Vietnam?
(a) June 1963.
(b) February 1962.
(c) May 1962.
(d) October 1961.
10. What does Halberstam say was the result of the Chinese Revolution and the McCarthy period?
(a) The U.S. took pre-emptive action against Communism.
(b) The U.S. strengthened trade ties in Europe.
(c) The U.S. sought out diplomatic solutions.
(d) The U.S. took an aggressive stance toward Communism.
11. Why didn't Kennedy formulate a China policy, in Halberstam's account?
(a) His China advisor had not been confirmed.
(b) China was experiencing a revolution.
(c) China was not a high priority.
(d) He didn't have time.
12. What does Halberstam say was the result of the Thanksgiving Day Massacre?
(a) Maxwell Taylor was removed from his position.
(b) Averell Harriman was named Assistant Secretary of State for Far Eastern Affairs.
(c) Troops were withdrawn from the Mekong Delta.
(d) Kennedy increased the number of troops in Vietnam.
13. What does Halberstam say Kennedy had done in response to the meeting with Russians in Vienna?
(a) He increased troop strength in Berlin.
(b) He reduced America's nuclear arsenal.
(c) He removed troops from Poland.
(d) He sent an advisory committee to Vietnam.
14. What position had Robert Lovett been appointed to in 1947?
(a) Secretary of the Interior.
(b) Undersecretary of State.
(c) Secretary of Defense.
(d) Secretary of State.
15. Whom did Kennedy ask to be Secretary of State instead of Adlai Stevenson?
(a) Chester Bowles.
(b) Dean Rusk.
(c) Robert McNamara.
(d) McGeorge Bundy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Kennedy's position on the Cold War policies of his predecessors?
2. What does Halberstam say was Robert McNamara's role in the White House policy discussions?
3. When did the problem with the Buddhist monks begin?
4. Where was the war going badly, at the time when the White House was losing faith in Diem?
5. How big a margin did Kennedy win the presidency by?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)