|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Kennedy formulate a China policy, in Halberstam's account?
(a) His China advisor had not been confirmed.
(b) China was not a high priority.
(c) He didn't have time.
(d) China was experiencing a revolution.
2. What does Halberstam say happened that strained the relationship between Diem and the Buddhists?
(a) The government raided the pagodas and blamed it on the army.
(b) The Buddhists martyred themselves in opposition to the government.
(c) The government seized land and temples from the Buddhists.
(d) The Buddhists instigated confrontations with the army.
3. Who was named to head the U.S. command in Saigon in January 1962?
(a) Paul Harkins.
(b) Chester Bowles.
(c) Maxwell Taylor.
(d) Robert McNamara.
4. What policies had Robert Lovett been involved in crafting?
(a) Treaties with China and Russia.
(b) A reorganization of the military.
(c) Changes to Medicare.
(d) The Marshall plan.
5. What does Halberstam say marked the end of the generals' faith in Diem?
(a) The influence of American interests on Diem's government.
(b) The backlash against the army after the botched raids on the pagodas.
(c) The raid on the pagodas.
(d) The drought and subsequent humanitarian crisis.
6. What made McGeorge Bundy an effective administrator?
(a) He listened to others and used their ideas.
(b) He could sense what others were thinking and what they needed.
(c) He had a rigid sense of principle.
(d) He did not brook opposition.
7. How big a margin did Kennedy win the presidency by?
(a) 100,000 votes.
(b) 1,000,000 votes.
(c) 500,000 votes.
(d) 1.5 million votes.
8. What does Halberstam say was the result of the Thanksgiving Day Massacre?
(a) Troops were withdrawn from the Mekong Delta.
(b) Kennedy increased the number of troops in Vietnam.
(c) Averell Harriman was named Assistant Secretary of State for Far Eastern Affairs.
(d) Maxwell Taylor was removed from his position.
9. Which situation had the biggest effect on the Kennedy administration in 1961?
(a) The Bay of Pigs.
(b) The financial crisis.
(c) China policy.
(d) The Gulf of Tonkin incident.
10. Why didn't Kennedy offer the position of Secretary of State to McGeorge Bundy?
(a) Bundy was too old and conservative.
(b) Bundy was a Republican and too young.
(c) Bundy did not have the support of the Jews.
(d) Bundy had a reputation for saying damaging things off the cuff.
11. What position did the Kennedy administration take with regard to nuclear disarmament?
(a) Kennedy wanted to show Kruschev that he was tough.
(b) Kennedy wanted to eliminate nuclear weapons altogether.
(c) Kennedy wanted to make sure that the U.S. and Russia had comparable arsenals.
(d) Kennedy wanted to reduce the number of nuclear weapons to a reasonable number.
12. How did Kennedy see Adlai Stevenson?
(a) He saw Adlai Stevenson as lazy.
(b) He saw Adlai Stevenson as principled.
(c) He saw Adlai Stevenson as an ideologue.
(d) He saw Adlai Stevenson as indecisive.
13. What does Halberstam say McNamara tried to do with his fact-finding missions to Vietnam?
(a) Protect the President.
(b) Publish the truth.
(c) Conceal the deteriorating conditions.
(d) Provide a forum for dissenting soldiers.
14. Whom did Robert Lovett recommend to Kennedy for Secretary of State?
(a) Chester Bowles.
(b) McGeorge Bundy.
(c) Robert McNamara.
(d) Dean Rusk.
15. How does Halberstam say Lyndon Johnson felt in the Kennedy administration?
(a) He felt like a socialist among capitalists.
(b) He felt like a relic of previous administrations.
(c) He felt like a midwesterner among East-coast men.
(d) He felt like a teacher among his students.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which issue does Halberstam say the military lost its battle with the White House?
2. Which issue was NOT confronting the nation when the Kennedy administration took office?
3. Why did Robert Lovett demur about being appointed in the Kennedy administration?
4. Whom did Robert Lovett recommend to Kennedy for Secretary of Defense?
5. Why was Chester Bowles assigned to a different position?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)