|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 11-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Kennedy administration see the war in Vietnam?
(a) As a war against Communism.
(b) As a diversion from domestic problems.
(c) As a gift to Asian allies.
(d) As a boon to the military contractors.
2. Why hadn't Roosevelt stopped the French from returning to Indochina after the war, in Halberstam's account?
(a) He could not get a censure from the United Nations.
(b) He did not have the authority to.
(c) He needed France for its support of American monetary policy.
(d) There was no post-war plan to prevent them.
3. How does Halberstam say Lyndon Johnson felt in the Kennedy administration?
(a) He felt like a midwesterner among East-coast men.
(b) He felt like a socialist among capitalists.
(c) He felt like a relic of previous administrations.
(d) He felt like a teacher among his students.
4. Why didn't Kennedy formulate a China policy, in Halberstam's account?
(a) China was not a high priority.
(b) His China advisor had not been confirmed.
(c) He didn't have time.
(d) China was experiencing a revolution.
5. Why didn't Kennedy offer the position of Secretary of State to David Bruce?
(a) Bruce was felt to be too old.
(b) Bruce was felt to be too young.
(c) Bruce was felt to be too academic.
(d) Bruce was felt to be too conservative.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the first confrontation take place in Indochina?
2. Why did Robert Lovett demur about being appointed in the Kennedy administration?
3. Why was Chester Bowles assigned to a different position?
4. Whom did Robert Lovett recommend to Kennedy for Secretary of State?
5. What did the Kennedy administration represent to America?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)