|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 21-22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the problem with the Buddhist monks begin?
(a) November 1962.
(b) April 1962.
(c) March 1961.
(d) May 1963.
2. What does Halberstam say marked the end of the generals' faith in Diem?
(a) The influence of American interests on Diem's government.
(b) The drought and subsequent humanitarian crisis.
(c) The raid on the pagodas.
(d) The backlash against the army after the botched raids on the pagodas.
3. What did Hanoi do in response to U.S. war games in the South?
(a) Seek peace talks.
(b) Send more Vietcong down the trails.
(c) Withdraw troops from the South.
(d) Launch the Gulf of Tonkin attacks.
4. What does Halberstam say conditions were like in South Vietnam by the end of 1964?
(b) Settling into a war of attrition.
5. Who does Halberstam say was especially vocal in calling for a change in U.S. Vietnam policy?
(a) Maxwell Taylor.
(b) General Westmoreland.
(c) Averell Harriman.
(d) McGeorge Bundy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plan was the U.S. government preparing for by the end of 1964?
2. What had McNamara done by the time he took over as Secretary of Defense?
3. What does Halberstam say McNamara learned that he had to do in order to argue against nuclear weapons?
4. Who was the only administration insider arguing against escalation?
5. How long had Ho Chi Minh's communism associations been known to the U.S., in Halberstam's account?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)