|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 21-22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position did Maxwell Taylor begin to support as a result of his late 1964 trip to Vietnam?
(a) International sanctions against North Vietnam.
(b) A bombing campaign against North Vietnam.
(c) Withdrawing troops from Vietnam.
(d) Renewing diplomatic efforts.
2. What did the fact-finding mission discover at about the time of the problem with the Buddhist monks?
(a) The North was expanding its recruitment.
(b) The U.S. was unprepared for guerilla warfare.
(c) Vast corruption.
(d) Diem was not on top of the situation.
3. Whose theories had been used as the basis for expanded militarization in the late 1940s?
(a) George Kennan's.
(b) Robert McNamara's.
(c) McGeorge Bundy's.
(d) Chester Bowles'.
4. What had McNamara done by the time he took over as Secretary of Defense?
(a) Instituted successful reforms at Ford.
(b) Studied and identified the problems at the Pentagon.
(c) Consulted with Kennedy about his goals and methods.
(d) Reviewed American foreign policy.
5. How many soldiers had the U.S. sent to Vietnam in its first commitment of troops?
(a) 8 military advisers.
(b) 400 Special forces and 3,000 troops.
(c) 20,000 troops.
(d) 100,000 troops.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the war going badly, at the time when the White House was losing faith in Diem?
2. How does Halberstam say McNamara learned about the affairs in Vietnam?
3. What did Johnson say he needed before they could move against the North?
4. What does Halberstam say was the result of the Chinese Revolution and the McCarthy period?
5. How did the Kennedy administration see the war in Vietnam?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)