|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a "true ectoparasite" feed off?
2. What is another word for myrmecophile?
3. What part of their body do army ants link to create a chain, or barrier?
4. In what part of the ant's anatomy are the unicellular glands?
5. During what decade did scientists begin to focus on competition within community organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Teleutomyrmex schneideri ants survive?
2. How do weaver ants build their nests?
3. What interesting collecting method did Harlow Shapely use when preserving ants?
4. In his study of army ants published in 1948, what does Schnerila claim happens to the queen as her brood reaches maturity?
5. Why are Proceratium ants considered the most specialized of all egg predators?
6. What amusing anecdote does V. Wolfgang von Hagen give about leafcutter ants?
7. What type of ant predator did Levieux discover by digging under the soil on the Ivory Coast in 1983?
8. How do harvester ants affect vegetation in an ecosystem?
9. What is dulosis? How is it a form of symbiosis?
10. How does density specialization affect competition with ant species?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ants are considered a highly altruistic species of animals. Define altruism. Give two examples of ways in which ants are considered altruistic creatures. Finally, explain how the altruism found within ant societies benefits the colony as a whole. Do you think ants would survive were it not for their altruistic nature?
Essay Topic 2
Kin selection is an important part of ant colony success. Describe the two main arguments to kin selection as given by Darwin and Hamilton. How did their opinions of kin selection differ? Finally, explain the two main hypotheses surrounding kin selection - Mutualism, and Parental Manipulation. How have these hypothesis affected understanding of kin selection as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
The process of brooding young larvae is one of the most important processes in an ant colony. Explain the role the queen ant has in breeding her young. Explain the role worker ants have in the brooding. Finally, explain how chemical alteration of the larvae affects their brooding process.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)