|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Wilson, which of the following ants is best to study and preserve?
2. What part of their body do army ants link to create a chain, or barrier?
3. Which of the following countries is the Eciton Burchelli army ant NOT found?
4. Where does "the ultimate parasite" Teleutomyrmex schneideri live?
5. In a weaver ant community, which of the following is the only group of ants exempt from nest building duties?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Moser discover ventilation systems in ant nests in Louisiana?
2. What is an ant garden?
3. What is the first phase of nest building in a weaver ant colony? Why does this phase require teamwork?
4. How does density specialization affect competition with ant species?
5. How do Solenopsis flies affect the productivity of Apocephalus ants in Texas?
6. In his study of army ants published in 1948, what does Schnerila claim happens to the queen as her brood reaches maturity?
7. What modifications must a parasite's body undergo in order to live successfully off a host's body?
8. What are trophobiants? Why are they compared to cattlers?
9. How do harvester ants affect vegetation in an ecosystem?
10. What is dulosis? How is it a form of symbiosis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pheromones are considered the most important asset to ant communication. Describe two different ways in which ants communicate using their pheromones. Explain how pheromones are emitted from the ant's body in both liquid and gas forms.
Essay Topic 2
Ants are considered a highly altruistic species of animals. Define altruism. Give two examples of ways in which ants are considered altruistic creatures. Finally, explain how the altruism found within ant societies benefits the colony as a whole. Do you think ants would survive were it not for their altruistic nature?
Essay Topic 3
The final chapter of the text is extremely informative in the process of collecting, preserving, and studying ant species. Describe the proper process for collecting ant species from the wild and transporting them back to the study lab. Explain the proper process for preserving ants for museum work. Finally, explain the proper process for transporting entire colonies from one nest to another.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)