|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Wilson heading when he was desperately trying to get a hold of Le Pouce to perform a specialized predator field study?
2. What does a "true ectoparasite" feed off?
3. Which of the following types of symbiosis does NOT deal with nest sharing?
4. What is the most effective way for ants to subdue their prey?
5. What is the main component of a weaver ant's nest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an ant garden?
2. What is the typical foraging pattern for harvester ants?
3. How do weaver ants build their nests?
4. What interesting collecting method did Harlow Shapely use when preserving ants?
5. How is an army ant defined?
6. What are the dangers of using an aspirator when collecting ant samples for study?
7. What is the first phase of nest building in a weaver ant colony? Why does this phase require teamwork?
8. What is dulosis? How is it a form of symbiosis?
9. What amusing anecdote does V. Wolfgang von Hagen give about leafcutter ants?
10. How do harvester ants affect vegetation in an ecosystem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pheromones are considered the most important asset to ant communication. Describe two different ways in which ants communicate using their pheromones. Explain how pheromones are emitted from the ant's body in both liquid and gas forms.
Essay Topic 2
Harvester ants have been widely studied, even back in Biblical times. Describe the characteristics of a harvester ant. Summarize at least one study about harvester ants presented in the text. Finally, explain the effects harvester and have on vegetation throughout the world.
Essay Topic 3
The final chapter of the text is extremely informative in the process of collecting, preserving, and studying ant species. Describe the proper process for collecting ant species from the wild and transporting them back to the study lab. Explain the proper process for preserving ants for museum work. Finally, explain the proper process for transporting entire colonies from one nest to another.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)