|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main component of a weaver ant's nest?
2. How do major workers in a weaver ant nest treat minor workers?
3. What is the most effective way for ants to subdue their prey?
4. How old must an Eciton army ant be to reach sexual maturity?
5. In the prey chart listed on pages 559-561, where are all species of thief ants found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is acacia?
2. How is an army ant defined?
3. What are trophobiants? Why are they compared to cattlers?
4. What type of ant predator did Levieux discover by digging under the soil on the Ivory Coast in 1983?
5. What is the typical foraging pattern for harvester ants?
6. What interesting collecting method did Harlow Shapely use when preserving ants?
7. What are the dangers of using an aspirator when collecting ant samples for study?
8. What is an ant garden?
9. How do harvester ants affect vegetation in an ecosystem?
10. Why are Proceratium ants considered the most specialized of all egg predators?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pheromones are considered the most important asset to ant communication. Describe two different ways in which ants communicate using their pheromones. Explain how pheromones are emitted from the ant's body in both liquid and gas forms.
Essay Topic 2
The final chapter of the text is extremely informative in the process of collecting, preserving, and studying ant species. Describe the proper process for collecting ant species from the wild and transporting them back to the study lab. Explain the proper process for preserving ants for museum work. Finally, explain the proper process for transporting entire colonies from one nest to another.
Essay Topic 3
Ants in the text have various types of nests they live in and build. Create a list of nest making strategies discussed in the text. Choose the nest making strategy you find most interesting, and describe it in as much detail as possible. Finally, explain the motivations behind this nest making strategy. Why does this particular ant species build this particular type of nest?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)