|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old must an Eciton army ant be to reach sexual maturity?
2. Which of the following scientists told the amusing anecdote about ants that stripped a garden overnight?
3. During what season of the year are Solenopsis flies absent from most ecosystems?
4. Which of the following body parts are NOT affected by formicosis?
5. Which of the following is NOT part of mutualism within ant-plant symbiosis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Teleutomyrmex schneideri ants survive?
2. What is an ant garden?
3. Why are Proceratium ants considered the most specialized of all egg predators?
4. In his study of army ants published in 1948, what does Schnerila claim happens to the queen as her brood reaches maturity?
5. What are trophobiants? Why are they compared to cattlers?
6. How do harvester ants affect vegetation in an ecosystem?
7. What is acacia?
8. What are the dangers of using an aspirator when collecting ant samples for study?
9. How did Moser discover ventilation systems in ant nests in Louisiana?
10. How is an army ant defined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kin selection is an important part of ant colony success. Describe the two main arguments to kin selection as given by Darwin and Hamilton. How did their opinions of kin selection differ? Finally, explain the two main hypotheses surrounding kin selection - Mutualism, and Parental Manipulation. How have these hypothesis affected understanding of kin selection as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Ants communicate with one another in a variety of ways, and for a variety of purposes. List at least eight of the twelve categories of ant communication and explain which of these is the most common in ant colonies. Explain the four different ways through which ants communicate using their bodies, and describe each method of communication.
Essay Topic 3
All ant colonies function with an intricate caste system for labor. Explain the various castes that each colony needs to survive. Explain the role of major and minor players within these castes. How do their roles vary? Finally, explain how an individual ant can move up in the hierarchy of this caste system.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)