|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the offspring of a queen when she is forced into a polygyny society?
2. Which of the following is NOT a method of foraging discussed in this novel?
3. Which of the following is NOT a concern for major workers?
4. Who removes a newly fertilized queen ant's wings?
5. Which part of an ant's body is used most during kin recognition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What study was performed on fire ants leading to the understanding the foragers will respond to the nutritional needs of their colony?
2. How do ant colonies treat foreign ants that wander in the nest?
3. Why are caste systems often used within ant colonies?
4. How do ant colonies succeed in securing true slavery?
5. How is the workload divided between major and minor workers?
6. Why are extra queens often considered an unnecessary burden within a colony?
7. What realization did scientists make about the Myrmica ants ability to differentiate larvae from eggs?
8. What is the most common form of communication between ants, and how is it expressed?
9. What happens during the ergonomic stage of an ant colony?
10. What defense mechanism is unique to the Asian ant species known as Camponotus Saundersi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a long process involved with identifying ant species throughout the world. Explain the steps to proper identification of a new ant species. Explain why it is so difficult for scientists to identify new ant species. How many ant species are believed to be unidentified throughout the scientific world?
Essay Topic 2
Many field studies have been done in regards to the symbiotic relationships ants have with their own, and alien species in the wild. Explain how a symbiotic relationship is defined. Give one example of a symbiotic relationship between differing ant species. Finally, give at least one example of a symbiotic relationship between and ant and alien species in the wild.
Essay Topic 3
Ants are considered a highly altruistic species of animals. Define altruism. Give two examples of ways in which ants are considered altruistic creatures. Finally, explain how the altruism found within ant societies benefits the colony as a whole. Do you think ants would survive were it not for their altruistic nature?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)