|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long can ants be stored in alcohol?
(a) Two days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two weeks.
2. On which part of the host ant's body do Coxequesomidae mites live?
3. What does the term "army ant" relate to?
(a) Food location.
(d) Defensive movement.
4. Where do weaver ants live, exclusively?
(b) Near water.
(c) In vegetation.
(d) In trees.
5. How old must an Eciton army ant be to reach sexual maturity?
(a) At least one week old.
(b) At least one day old.
(c) At least one month old.
(d) At least one year old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following scientists solely studied the way harvester ants affected cross-pollination in 1986?
2. What part of their body do army ants link to create a chain, or barrier?
3. What does a "true ectoparasite" feed off?
4. During his studies in Louisiana, what system did Moser find ant fungus growing ant nests?
5. Which of the following scientists was NOT involved in the study of hierarchical competition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is dulosis? How is it a form of symbiosis?
2. Why are Proceratium ants considered the most specialized of all egg predators?
3. How does density specialization affect competition with ant species?
4. How do weaver ants build their nests?
5. What type of ant predator did Levieux discover by digging under the soil on the Ivory Coast in 1983?
6. How do harvester ants affect vegetation in an ecosystem?
7. What modifications must a parasite's body undergo in order to live successfully off a host's body?
8. What is the first phase of nest building in a weaver ant colony? Why does this phase require teamwork?
9. What are trophobiants? Why are they compared to cattlers?
10. How did Moser discover ventilation systems in ant nests in Louisiana?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)