|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do weaver ants live, exclusively?
(a) In trees.
(b) In vegetation.
(c) Near water.
2. In Gray's report regarding worker ants of the Myrmecia variant, how long would the workers crouch close to a branch, mandibles open, waiting to spring at prey?
(a) 3 hours.
(b) 30 minutes.
(c) 5 hours.
(d) 2 hours.
3. In what part of the ant's anatomy are the unicellular glands?
(a) The abdomen.
(b) The head.
(c) The thorax.
(d) The antennae.
4. According to Wilson, which of the following ants is best to study and preserve?
(b) Virgin queens.
(d) Reproductive queens.
5. Where was Wilson heading when he was desperately trying to get a hold of Le Pouce to perform a specialized predator field study?
(d) Phnom Penh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following scientists solely studied the way harvester ants affected cross-pollination in 1986?
2. How do major workers in a weaver ant nest treat minor workers?
3. In what country did scientists Vepsalainen and Pisarski devise a three-tiered classification for hierarchical competition?
4. What is the main component of a weaver ant's nest?
5. Which of the following words is used to describe an ant swarm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do harvester ants affect vegetation in an ecosystem?
2. In his study of army ants published in 1948, what does Schnerila claim happens to the queen as her brood reaches maturity?
3. What interesting collecting method did Harlow Shapely use when preserving ants?
4. What is acacia?
5. What modifications must a parasite's body undergo in order to live successfully off a host's body?
6. What are the dangers of using an aspirator when collecting ant samples for study?
7. How do Solenopsis flies affect the productivity of Apocephalus ants in Texas?
8. Why are Proceratium ants considered the most specialized of all egg predators?
9. How did Moser discover ventilation systems in ant nests in Louisiana?
10. How do weaver ants build their nests?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)