|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the body of weaver ants?
(a) Large bodied.
(b) Wide bodied.
(c) Narrow bodied..
(d) Small bodied.
2. How long can ants be stored in alcohol?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two weeks.
3. What is another word for myrmecophile?
4. What type of weather facilitates the introduction of parasitic queens?
(a) Cool weather.
(b) Sunny weather.
(c) Stormy weather.
(d) Humid weather.
5. How do major workers in a weaver ant nest treat minor workers?
(a) The major and minor workers work communally.
(b) The major workers ignore the minor workers.
(c) The major workers fear the minor worker.
(d) The major and minor workers are in constant competition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the red ant, Proceratium, forage for?
2. Which of the following insects are harvested in "ranches" by ants?
3. What is the most effective way for ants to subdue their prey?
4. What is the main component of a weaver ant's nest?
5. In Gray's report regarding worker ants of the Myrmecia variant, how long would the workers crouch close to a branch, mandibles open, waiting to spring at prey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the dangers of using an aspirator when collecting ant samples for study?
2. What is dulosis? How is it a form of symbiosis?
3. How does density specialization affect competition with ant species?
4. What modifications must a parasite's body undergo in order to live successfully off a host's body?
5. How is an army ant defined?
6. What amusing anecdote does V. Wolfgang von Hagen give about leafcutter ants?
7. What is the first phase of nest building in a weaver ant colony? Why does this phase require teamwork?
8. How did Moser discover ventilation systems in ant nests in Louisiana?
9. In his study of army ants published in 1948, what does Schnerila claim happens to the queen as her brood reaches maturity?
10. How do Solenopsis flies affect the productivity of Apocephalus ants in Texas?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)