|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 Colony Odor and Kin Recognition.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times their own body weight do Idaho harvester ants retrieve during their lifetime?
(a) 200 times their body weight.
(b) 2000 times their body weight.
(c) 20 times their body weight.
(d) Twice their body weight.
2. Which of the following species of ants is known to cover their queen during immigration from one nest to another?
(a) Haploid number ants.
(b) Leaf cutter ants.
(c) African weaver ants.
(d) Driver ants.
3. Which of the following acts is NOT part of the Founding Stage in an ant colony?
(a) Foraging for food.
(b) Rearing young.
(d) Constructing a nest.
4. Which of the following is NOT an insect phenomenon documented in the opening of this novel?
(a) The hierarchy in control processes.
(b) The shaping of castes through natural selection.
(c) The social effects of monarchical rule.
(d) The effects of competition on community structure.
5. Which of the following is NOT a ways Wilson describes foreign ants being treated?
(a) They are forced to lock mandibles in a dual.
(b) They are pestered with constant nipping and leg pulling.
(c) They are accepted, but withheld food.
(d) They are killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take a foreign ant to produce a new colony odor?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the ways biomass is measured?
3. What is the focus of the Ergonomic Stage of an ant colony?
4. Which of the following is NOT a system of kin recognition listed in the novel?
5. Who removes a newly fertilized queen ant's wings?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)