|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mrs. Cutter send to Ashton-Warner in "Life in a Maori School, 1"?
(a) A book.
(c) A necklace.
2. To what institution did Ashton-Warner compare teaching?
(b) First Communion.
3. What instrument did Waiwini play?
4. What color did Ashton-Warner say she liked after her basketball team won?
5. How many words had Tame learned, according to the chart in "Post Holiday Notes"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many new stoves did the school have?
2. How much ice cream did the boys steal from the shop in "Post Holiday Notes"?
3. What did Ashton-Warner call the "weakest" words in the language?
4. In what town was the "most spectacular" Maori meeting house in New Zealand?
5. In the scene in which Ashton-Warner laments the family using school supply money for poker, how much did she say a pencil cost?
Short Essay Questions
1. In her discussion of pedagogy as marriage, what did Ashton-Warner mean when she said that "love interferes with fidelity"?
2. How did Ashton-Warner describe the moments in her life when she knew the meaning of what was happening to her?
3. Why was Ashton-Warner disappointed with the pictures the new teacher had chosen to personalize the children's coat hooks?
4. To what did Ashton-Warner attribute the lack of cohesiveness in some of her later students' stories?
5. What did the students' compositions reveal about their family lives?
6. Why did Ashton-Warner say that when giving first words to her students, she avoided showing them any illustrations of those words?
7. Why did Ashton-Warner criticize herself for the way she handled Matawhero's defiance after he hit Gordon?
8. Why did Ashton-Warner write at the end of "Holidays" that she was no longer lonely?
9. Why was it important to offer only present tense verbs to new readers?
10. What set the local Maori pa (village) where Ashton-Warner taught apart from other pas?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)