|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which basketball player had a leg injury and could not play in the competition?
2. Which student's mother turned away from Ashton-Warner while walking through town?
3. How much money had been lost in poker and beer by the parent of one student, in the section "Composition"?
(a) 100 pounds.
(b) 67 pounds.
(c) 84 pounds.
(d) 95 pounds.
4. What were Ashton-Warner and Mr. Tremaine drinking while talking on the porch?
5. What is the Maori nickname for New Zealand?
(a) Land of the High Valleys.
(b) Land of the Beautiful Mountains.
(c) Land of the Long White Cloud.
(d) Land of the Green Mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "pakeha"?
2. What did Mrs. Cutter send to Ashton-Warner in "Life in a Maori School, 1"?
3. What was the new teacher doing when Ashton-Warner left the classroom?
4. How many "halves" did the girls' basketball team play?
5. According to Ashton-Warner, who provided the beer for the three-day party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ashton-Warner describe the moments in her life when she knew the meaning of what was happening to her?
2. Why was Ashton-Warner surprised at the appearance of the new classrooms when she visited?
3. To what did Ashton-Warner attribute the lack of cohesiveness in some of her later students' stories?
4. Why was Ashton-Warner upset about the way she handled Mark Cutter when his mother insisted that her son was advancing too quickly in class?
5. In "Post Holiday Notes," what word did Ashton-Warner use to represent the key instinct of fear to her students?
6. Why did Ashton-Warner write at the end of "Holidays" that she was no longer lonely?
7. How did the behavior of the children differ in the new classrooms compared to when Ashton-Warner taught at the school?
8. What were the vocabulary words like in the new classroom?
9. Why did Ashton-Warner focus on teaching her Maori students nouns at first?
10. What revelation did Ashton-Warner have in "Post-Holiday Notes" about using Maori readers with both Maori and white students?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)