|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What colors were on the Maori belt worn by Ashton-Warner?
(a) Black and red.
(b) Cream, red, and blue.
(c) Black, red, and blue.
(d) Black, cream, and red.
2. How many children can work at the art easel in the new classroom?
3. Where did the visitors who came to look at the Maori primers visiting from?
(a) An Australian school.
(b) The university.
(c) The school board.
(d) An American school.
4. What did one section of wallpaper depict?
(a) Cops and robbers.
(b) Cowboys and Indians.
(c) Mickey Mouse.
(d) Hansel and Gretel.
5. What sport did the Maoris allegedly play during the three-day party?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the weather like the day Ashton-Warner met with Tremaine?
2. What position did Matawhero's grandfather hold?
3. How many Maori readers did Aston-Warner hand-print?
4. What did a "little one" say somebody had broken in Ashton-Warner's reminiscences?
5. What fictional character did Matawhero remind Ashton-Warner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ashton-Warner's white student, Dennis, have a nervous breakdown?
2. Why was Ashton-Warner so worried about the prospect of being visited by the inspector?
3. Why did Ashton-Warner say that when giving first words to her students, she avoided showing them any illustrations of those words?
4. To what did Ashton-Warner attribute the lack of cohesiveness in some of her later students' stories?
5. Why was Ashton-Warner upset about the way she handled Mark Cutter when his mother insisted that her son was advancing too quickly in class?
6. Why was Ashton-Warner surprised at the appearance of the new classrooms when she visited?
7. Why did Ashton-Warner focus on teaching her Maori students nouns at first?
8. Why did Ashton-Warner write at the end of "Holidays" that she was no longer lonely?
9. In her discussion of pedagogy as marriage, what did Ashton-Warner mean when she said that "love interferes with fidelity"?
10. How did sentence length differ between whites and Maoris?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)