|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the man doing the floors in the new classroom?
2. Which student suffered a nervous breakdown?
3. What is a "marae?"
(a) A ceremonial mask.
(b) A totem pole.
(c) A wooden spear.
(d) A temple enclosure.
4. What color were the sports pullovers the basketball players were knitting for themselves?
5. Which student wrote about a father drinking all the beer at the party?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many words had Tame learned, according to the chart in "Post Holiday Notes"?
2. What color did Ashton-Warner say she liked after her basketball team won?
3. How did Ashton-Warner describe the porch where she met with Tremaine?
4. How many children can work at the art easel in the new classroom?
5. How much did Peter weigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ashton-Warner's attitude toward the white students who accused Maori students of theft?
2. What set the local Maori pa (village) where Ashton-Warner taught apart from other pas?
3. Why was it important to offer only present tense verbs to new readers?
4. Why did Ashton-Warner write at the end of "Holidays" that she was no longer lonely?
5. How did the behavior of the children differ in the new classrooms compared to when Ashton-Warner taught at the school?
6. Why was Ashton-Warner surprised at the appearance of the new classrooms when she visited?
7. Why did Ashton-Warner focus on teaching her Maori students nouns at first?
8. What did Ashton-Warner think about as she gazed at the empty site where her old classroom had once stood?
9. Why did Ashton-Warner criticize herself for the way she handled Matawhero's defiance after he hit Gordon?
10. What was the reaction of strangers to Ashton-Warner's multi-colored Maori belt?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)