|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position did Matawhero's grandfather hold?
(a) Chairman of the School Committee.
(b) Chariman of the Board of Selectmen.
(c) Chairman of the School Advisory Committee.
(d) Chairman of the Board of Supervisors.
2. On what evening did Mr. Tremaine visit the school?
3. What did Ashton-Warner do as she turned and left the classroom?
(d) Say goodbye.
4. What was the name of the man doing the floors in the new classroom?
5. Which basketball-playing student claimed she would not return to school after being punished for bad behavior?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a "little one" say somebody had broken in Ashton-Warner's reminiscences?
2. When was the last time someone bought new things for Helen?
3. What kind of tree could be seen through the glass wall?
4. Which author stated that "words have souls"?
5. Which student's mother turned away from Ashton-Warner while walking through town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ashton-Warner focus on teaching her Maori students nouns at first?
2. To what did Ashton-Warner attribute the lack of cohesiveness in some of her later students' stories?
3. What set the local Maori pa (village) where Ashton-Warner taught apart from other pas?
4. Why was Ashton-Warner disappointed with the pictures the new teacher had chosen to personalize the children's coat hooks?
5. What was the reaction of strangers to Ashton-Warner's multi-colored Maori belt?
6. What were the vocabulary words like in the new classroom?
7. Why was Ashton-Warner so worried about the prospect of being visited by the inspector?
8. Why was Ashton-Warner surprised at the appearance of the new classrooms when she visited?
9. How did sentence length differ between whites and Maoris?
10. What revelation did Ashton-Warner have in "Post-Holiday Notes" about using Maori readers with both Maori and white students?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)