|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did a "little one" say somebody had broken in Ashton-Warner's reminiscences?
(a) His toy jet.
(b) His castle.
(c) His hut.
(d) His toy car.
2. Why could the children not yet go into the classrooms?
(a) The floors were not yet dry.
(b) The roof was not finished.
(c) The stoves were not yet working.
(d) The chalkboards had not been installed.
3. Which of her former students was NOT in the new classroom for the new readers?
4. What was the new teacher doing when Ashton-Warner left the classroom?
(a) Collecting homework assignments.
(b) Showing the children where to hang their coats.
(c) Reading a story to the children.
(d) Asking each child to read a word.
5. Although fear and sex were identified as two main instincts, what word did Ashton-Warner say was missing from the beginning Maori readers?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Amira's supposed score in basketball practice?
2. What part of speech did Ashton-Warner first teach her Maori students to read?
3. What color shirt did Ashton-Warner wear while facing bad situations?
4. What is the Maori nickname for New Zealand?
5. How did Ashton-Warner react after the "June incident"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ashton-Warner criticize herself for the way she handled Matawhero's defiance after he hit Gordon?
2. Why was Ashton-Warner upset about the way she handled Mark Cutter when his mother insisted that her son was advancing too quickly in class?
3. Why did Ashton-Warner say that when giving first words to her students, she avoided showing them any illustrations of those words?
4. Why was Ashton-Warner so worried about the prospect of being visited by the inspector?
5. In "Post Holiday Notes," what word did Ashton-Warner use to represent the key instinct of fear to her students?
6. What did Ashton-Warner think about as she gazed at the empty site where her old classroom had once stood?
7. What was the reaction of strangers to Ashton-Warner's multi-colored Maori belt?
8. Why was it important to offer only present tense verbs to new readers?
9. In her discussion of pedagogy as marriage, what did Ashton-Warner mean when she said that "love interferes with fidelity"?
10. What are the two worst enemies of teaching?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)