|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which student wrote about a father drinking all the beer at the party?
2. Which student suffered a nervous breakdown?
3. Whom did Matawhero hit in "Post Holiday Notes"?
4. What was the new teacher doing when Ashton-Warner left the classroom?
(a) Collecting homework assignments.
(b) Asking each child to read a word.
(c) Showing the children where to hang their coats.
(d) Reading a story to the children.
5. Which student's mother turned away from Ashton-Warner while walking through town?
Short Answer Questions
1. What illustration was NOT included in the pictures on the new coat hooks for the students?
2. To what music did the children perform spontaneous, expressive dance?
3. Which wall in the new classroom was completely glassed?
4. What did one section of wallpaper depict?
5. Which of her former students was NOT in the new classroom for the new readers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ashton-Warner focus on teaching her Maori students nouns at first?
2. Why did Ashton-Warner say that when giving first words to her students, she avoided showing them any illustrations of those words?
3. Why did Ashton-Warner criticize herself for the way she handled Matawhero's defiance after he hit Gordon?
4. What happened when Ashton-Warner attempted to secure school uniforms for her students from a nearby shop?
5. Why did Ashton-Warner's white student, Dennis, have a nervous breakdown?
6. In her discussion of pedagogy as marriage, what did Ashton-Warner mean when she said that "love interferes with fidelity"?
7. Why was Ashton-Warner surprised at the appearance of the new classrooms when she visited?
8. What are the two worst enemies of teaching?
9. In "Post Holiday Notes," what word did Ashton-Warner use to represent the key instinct of fear to her students?
10. What set the local Maori pa (village) where Ashton-Warner taught apart from other pas?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)