|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day did it become clear that the inspectors would not be coming?
(d) The following Monday.
2. What instrument did the seven-year-old twins play after the event for Kahu?
3. What did one section of wallpaper depict?
(a) Hansel and Gretel.
(b) Cops and robbers.
(c) Mickey Mouse.
(d) Cowboys and Indians.
4. How many new stoves did the school have?
5. When did "Remembering" take place?
(a) Five years later.
(b) Two years later.
(c) A year after the events in the book.
(d) Six months later.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did her former students do when Ashton-Warner arrived to visit their new classroom?
2. What is a "roro"?
3. How long ago had the Maoris ancestors arrived in New Zealand from Polynesia?
4. According to Ashton-Warner, who provided the beer for the three-day party?
5. What part of speech did Ashton-Warner first teach her Maori students to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ashton-Warner view the importance of handwriting?
2. What was the reaction of strangers to Ashton-Warner's multi-colored Maori belt?
3. Why did Ashton-Warner say that when giving first words to her students, she avoided showing them any illustrations of those words?
4. How did Maoris and whites differ in terms of communal gatherings?
5. In her discussion of pedagogy as marriage, what did Ashton-Warner mean when she said that "love interferes with fidelity"?
6. What role did discipline play in Ashton-Warner's classroom?
7. Why was Ashton-Warner disappointed with the pictures the new teacher had chosen to personalize the children's coat hooks?
8. Why did Ashton-Warner write at the end of "Holidays" that she was no longer lonely?
9. In "Post Holiday Notes," what word did Ashton-Warner use to represent the key instinct of fear to her students?
10. How did Ashton-Warner describe the moments in her life when she knew the meaning of what was happening to her?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)