|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "waiata"?
(a) A Maori song.
(b) A Maori hut.
(c) A Maori shield.
(d) A Maori weapon.
2. Which family's dog sometimes visited the class when Ashton-Warner was teaching?
3. What position did Matawhero's grandfather hold?
(a) Chairman of the Board of Supervisors.
(b) Chairman of the School Advisory Committee.
(c) Chairman of the School Committee.
(d) Chariman of the Board of Selectmen.
4. How did Ashton-Warner react after the "June incident"?
(a) She could not sleep at night.
(b) She considered quitting.
(c) She quickly forgot about it.
(d) She became sick.
5. What fictional character did Matawhero remind Ashton-Warner?
(a) Christopher Robin.
(c) Peter Pan.
(d) Winnie the Pooh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of speech did Ashton-Warner first teach her Maori students to read?
2. What story was Ashton-Warner asked to read while trying to get the child to nap?
3. How much ice cream did the boys steal from the shop in "Post Holiday Notes"?
4. How many children can work at the art easel in the new classroom?
5. How many new stoves did the school have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Ashton-Warner so worried about the prospect of being visited by the inspector?
2. What did the students' compositions reveal about their family lives?
3. How did sentence length differ between whites and Maoris?
4. What were the vocabulary words like in the new classroom?
5. Why did Ashton-Warner say that when giving first words to her students, she avoided showing them any illustrations of those words?
6. To what did Ashton-Warner attribute the lack of cohesiveness in some of her later students' stories?
7. Describe the new teacher encountered by Ashton-Warner as she explores the renovated school.
8. How did Ashton-Warner describe the moments in her life when she knew the meaning of what was happening to her?
9. What are the two worst enemies of teaching?
10. What role did discipline play in Ashton-Warner's classroom?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)