|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ashton-Warner describe the porch where she met with Tremaine?
(c) Falling apart.
2. What did a "little one" say somebody had broken in Ashton-Warner's reminiscences?
(a) His toy jet.
(b) His toy car.
(c) His hut.
(d) His castle.
3. Which basketball-playing student claimed she would not return to school after being punished for bad behavior?
4. Although fear and sex were identified as two main instincts, what word did Ashton-Warner say was missing from the beginning Maori readers?
5. How did Ashton-Warner react to Matawhero's attack on the other student?
(a) She made Matawhero apologize to the other student.
(b) She made him sit in front of the class all day.
(c) She sent him home.
(d) She put him in timeout.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of speech did Ashton-Warner first teach her Maori students to read?
2. How many "halves" did the girls' basketball team play?
3. What was one of the items "missing" from the new classroom?
4. What did one section of wallpaper depict?
5. On what day did it become clear that the inspectors would not be coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the students' compositions reveal about their family lives?
2. Why was Ashton-Warner upset about the way she handled Mark Cutter when his mother insisted that her son was advancing too quickly in class?
3. Why did Ashton-Warner's white student, Dennis, have a nervous breakdown?
4. How did Maoris and whites differ in terms of communal gatherings?
5. How did Ashton-Warner view the importance of handwriting?
6. What happened when Ashton-Warner attempted to secure school uniforms for her students from a nearby shop?
7. How did Ashton-Warner describe the moments in her life when she knew the meaning of what was happening to her?
8. Why did Ashton-Warner say that when giving first words to her students, she avoided showing them any illustrations of those words?
9. What role did discipline play in Ashton-Warner's classroom?
10. Why did Ashton-Warner write at the end of "Holidays" that she was no longer lonely?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)