|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much ice cream did the boys steal from the shop in "Post Holiday Notes"?
(a) 15 pounds.
(b) 200 pounds.
(c) 20 pounds.
(d) 10 pounds.
2. What instrument did the seven-year-old twins play after the event for Kahu?
3. How much did Peter weigh?
(a) 15 stone.
(b) 16 stone.
(c) 18 stone.
(d) 14 stone.
4. What did one section of wallpaper depict?
(a) Mickey Mouse.
(b) Cowboys and Indians.
(c) Hansel and Gretel.
(d) Cops and robbers.
5. When was the last time someone bought new things for Helen?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Four years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fictional character did Ashton-Warner reference in her section on education on marriage?
2. What was one of the items "missing" from the new classroom?
3. In what tense should verbs be when taught to beginning readers, according to Ashton-Warern?
4. Which student's mother turned away from Ashton-Warner while walking through town?
5. What were Ashton-Warner and Mr. Tremaine drinking while talking on the porch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ashton-Warner write at the end of "Holidays" that she was no longer lonely?
2. What revelation did Ashton-Warner have in "Post-Holiday Notes" about using Maori readers with both Maori and white students?
3. How did Ashton-Warner describe the moments in her life when she knew the meaning of what was happening to her?
4. What was Ashton-Warner's attitude toward the white students who accused Maori students of theft?
5. What did Ashton-Warner think about as she gazed at the empty site where her old classroom had once stood?
6. How did sentence length differ between whites and Maoris?
7. Why did Ashton-Warner criticize herself for the way she handled Matawhero's defiance after he hit Gordon?
8. How did Maoris and whites differ in terms of communal gatherings?
9. Why did Ashton-Warner focus on teaching her Maori students nouns at first?
10. How did Ashton-Warner view the importance of handwriting?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)