|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What pet did Matawhero bring to school in "Post Holiday Notes?"
(a) A lizard.
(b) A white dog.
(c) A Siamese cat.
(d) A black kitten.
2. How did Ashton-Warner react after the "June incident"?
(a) She became sick.
(b) She considered quitting.
(c) She quickly forgot about it.
(d) She could not sleep at night.
3. What is a "marae?"
(a) A totem pole.
(b) A temple enclosure.
(c) A wooden spear.
(d) A ceremonial mask.
4. Where did the visitors who came to look at the Maori primers visiting from?
(a) An American school.
(b) The school board.
(c) The university.
(d) An Australian school.
5. What did Mrs. Cutter send to Ashton-Warner in "Life in a Maori School, 1"?
(b) A necklace.
(d) A book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "taiaha"?
2. Which basketball player had a leg injury and could not play in the competition?
3. What color were the sports pullovers the basketball players were knitting for themselves?
4. At what age did students enter Std., Form II in New Zealand?
5. What instrument did the seven-year-old twins play after the event for Kahu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ashton-Warner focus on teaching her Maori students nouns at first?
2. What revelation did Ashton-Warner have in "Post-Holiday Notes" about using Maori readers with both Maori and white students?
3. Why was Ashton-Warner surprised at the appearance of the new classrooms when she visited?
4. To what did Ashton-Warner attribute the lack of cohesiveness in some of her later students' stories?
5. What did Ashton-Warner think about as she gazed at the empty site where her old classroom had once stood?
6. What role did discipline play in Ashton-Warner's classroom?
7. Why did Ashton-Warner's white student, Dennis, have a nervous breakdown?
8. What are the two worst enemies of teaching?
9. What happened when Ashton-Warner attempted to secure school uniforms for her students from a nearby shop?
10. How did sentence length differ between whites and Maoris?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)