|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ashton-Warner react after the "June incident"?
(a) She quickly forgot about it.
(b) She could not sleep at night.
(c) She became sick.
(d) She considered quitting.
2. How many Maori readers did Aston-Warner hand-print?
3. Which student's mother turned away from Ashton-Warner while walking through town?
4. Which basketball-playing student claimed she would not return to school after being punished for bad behavior?
5. What is a "roro"?
(a) A verandah.
(b) A gazebo.
(c) A roof.
(d) A plaza.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the visitors who came to look at the Maori primers visiting from?
2. What part of speech did Ashton-Warner first teach her Maori students to read?
3. How many words had Tame learned, according to the chart in "Post Holiday Notes"?
4. What fictional character did Ashton-Warner reference in her section on education on marriage?
5. On what day did it become clear that the inspectors would not be coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the students' compositions reveal about their family lives?
2. Why was Ashton-Warner surprised at the appearance of the new classrooms when she visited?
3. In her discussion of pedagogy as marriage, what did Ashton-Warner mean when she said that "love interferes with fidelity"?
4. What happened when Ashton-Warner attempted to secure school uniforms for her students from a nearby shop?
5. Why was Ashton-Warner disappointed with the pictures the new teacher had chosen to personalize the children's coat hooks?
6. What was Ashton-Warner's reaction to the traditional Maori music performed by the children under the direction of Kahu?
7. What role did discipline play in Ashton-Warner's classroom?
8. What was the reaction of strangers to Ashton-Warner's multi-colored Maori belt?
9. How did Ashton-Warner describe the moments in her life when she knew the meaning of what was happening to her?
10. Why did Ashton-Warner write at the end of "Holidays" that she was no longer lonely?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)