|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money had been lost in poker and beer by the parent of one student, in the section "Composition"?
(a) 95 pounds.
(b) 67 pounds.
(c) 100 pounds.
(d) 84 pounds.
2. According to Ashton-Warner, who provided the beer for the three-day party?
(a) Maori leaders.
(b) The police.
(c) White neighbors.
(d) The school.
3. What color did Ashton-Warner say she liked after her basketball team won?
4. What pet did Matawhero bring to school in "Post Holiday Notes?"
(a) A lizard.
(b) A black kitten.
(c) A Siamese cat.
(d) A white dog.
5. What is a "marae?"
(a) A ceremonial mask.
(b) A temple enclosure.
(c) A totem pole.
(d) A wooden spear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of speech did Ashton-Warner first teach her Maori students to read?
2. Why could the children not yet go into the classrooms?
3. What event was being celebrated for Kahu at the Assembly Hall?
4. Although fear and sex were identified as two main instincts, what word did Ashton-Warner say was missing from the beginning Maori readers?
5. What did Mark claim had been stolen from him in "Life in a Maori School, 1"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Maoris and whites differ in terms of communal gatherings?
2. To what did Ashton-Warner attribute the lack of cohesiveness in some of her later students' stories?
3. In "Post Holiday Notes," what word did Ashton-Warner use to represent the key instinct of fear to her students?
4. What set the local Maori pa (village) where Ashton-Warner taught apart from other pas?
5. What are the two worst enemies of teaching?
6. Describe the new teacher encountered by Ashton-Warner as she explores the renovated school.
7. What role did discipline play in Ashton-Warner's classroom?
8. What did the students' compositions reveal about their family lives?
9. Why was Ashton-Warner disappointed with the pictures the new teacher had chosen to personalize the children's coat hooks?
10. Why did Ashton-Warner criticize herself for the way she handled Matawhero's defiance after he hit Gordon?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)