|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long ago had the Maoris ancestors arrived in New Zealand from Polynesia?
(a) 500 years.
(b) 1,000 years.
(c) 800 years.
(d) 600 years.
2. What fictional character did Ashton-Warner reference in her section on education on marriage?
(b) Anna Karenina.
(c) Madame Bovary.
3. What color were the new doors in the classrooms?
4. What color were the sports pullovers the basketball players were knitting for themselves?
5. How many words had Tame learned, according to the chart in "Post Holiday Notes"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "waiata"?
2. How did Ashton-Warner describe the porch where she met with Tremaine?
3. When did "Remembering" take place?
4. Which author stated that "words have souls"?
5. What was the new teacher doing when Ashton-Warner left the classroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did sentence length differ between whites and Maoris?
2. Why did Ashton-Warner focus on teaching her Maori students nouns at first?
3. What did the students' compositions reveal about their family lives?
4. What role did discipline play in Ashton-Warner's classroom?
5. Why was Ashton-Warner surprised at the appearance of the new classrooms when she visited?
6. How did the behavior of the children differ in the new classrooms compared to when Ashton-Warner taught at the school?
7. What was Ashton-Warner's attitude toward the white students who accused Maori students of theft?
8. Why did Ashton-Warner's white student, Dennis, have a nervous breakdown?
9. What set the local Maori pa (village) where Ashton-Warner taught apart from other pas?
10. What did Ashton-Warner think about as she gazed at the empty site where her old classroom had once stood?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)