|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many "halves" did the girls' basketball team play?
2. What did Mere and June rub on their faces?
(a) Blue powder.
(b) Red paint.
(c) Red chalk.
(d) Yellow crayon.
3. What is a "marae?"
(a) A wooden spear.
(b) A ceremonial mask.
(c) A temple enclosure.
(d) A totem pole.
4. What was Amira's supposed score in basketball practice?
5. How long ago had the Maoris ancestors arrived in New Zealand from Polynesia?
(a) 800 years.
(b) 1,000 years.
(c) 600 years.
(d) 500 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mark claim had been stolen from him in "Life in a Maori School, 1"?
2. What did Ashton-Warner call the "weakest" words in the language?
3. What is a "waiata"?
4. What instrument did Waiwini play?
5. What event was being celebrated for Kahu at the Assembly Hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Ashton-Warner upset about the way she handled Mark Cutter when his mother insisted that her son was advancing too quickly in class?
2. What did Ashton-Warner think about as she gazed at the empty site where her old classroom had once stood?
3. How did Ashton-Warner describe the moments in her life when she knew the meaning of what was happening to her?
4. What revelation did Ashton-Warner have in "Post-Holiday Notes" about using Maori readers with both Maori and white students?
5. What did the students' compositions reveal about their family lives?
6. What role did discipline play in Ashton-Warner's classroom?
7. To what did Ashton-Warner attribute the lack of cohesiveness in some of her later students' stories?
8. What are the two worst enemies of teaching?
9. Why did Ashton-Warner say that when giving first words to her students, she avoided showing them any illustrations of those words?
10. How did Ashton-Warner view the importance of handwriting?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)