|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children were on Ashton-Warner's school basketball team?
2. In what town was the "most spectacular" Maori meeting house in New Zealand?
3. What were Ashton-Warner and Mr. Tremaine drinking while talking on the porch?
4. What did Mrs. Cutter send to Ashton-Warner in "Life in a Maori School, 1"?
(a) A book.
(d) A necklace.
5. Why could the children not yet go into the classrooms?
(a) The floors were not yet dry.
(b) The stoves were not yet working.
(c) The chalkboards had not been installed.
(d) The roof was not finished.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which wall in the new classroom was completely glassed?
2. What did Ashton-Warner call the "weakest" words in the language?
3. What was one of the items "missing" from the new classroom?
4. What did the drawings depict in the Infant Reading Scheme that Ashton-Warner showed to Tremaine?
5. What was Amira's supposed score in basketball practice?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what did Ashton-Warner attribute the lack of cohesiveness in some of her later students' stories?
2. How did the behavior of the children differ in the new classrooms compared to when Ashton-Warner taught at the school?
3. Why did Ashton-Warner say that when giving first words to her students, she avoided showing them any illustrations of those words?
4. What was the reaction of strangers to Ashton-Warner's multi-colored Maori belt?
5. In "Post Holiday Notes," what word did Ashton-Warner use to represent the key instinct of fear to her students?
6. What role did discipline play in Ashton-Warner's classroom?
7. How did Ashton-Warner describe the moments in her life when she knew the meaning of what was happening to her?
8. What was Ashton-Warner's reaction to the traditional Maori music performed by the children under the direction of Kahu?
9. Why did Ashton-Warner write at the end of "Holidays" that she was no longer lonely?
10. Why was Ashton-Warner upset about the way she handled Mark Cutter when his mother insisted that her son was advancing too quickly in class?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)