|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time of the day was "paste paint" listed in Ashton-Warner's daily schedule?
(d) 1:00 to 2:00.
2. What word did Ashton-Warner say few boys did not know how to spell?
3. What was the ideal number of students to whom a teacher could give individual attention?
4. In what country did the volunteer describe teaching villagers how to read and write their own names?
5. What color crayon did Ashton-Warner use for the key vocabulary?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ashton-Warner describe the energy released during the spelling period in "The Mechanics of Teaching Organic Spelling"?
2. From where, according to Ashton-Warner, did most New Zealand children develop a "mass mind"?
3. How many students, according to the university professor quoted in "The Unlived Life," are capable of creative thought?
4. What did Brian mean by the term he used to describe the bus in his story?
5. In the illustrations accompanying "Organic Writing," what fatal accident did one child claim had happened to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did early exposure to white cultural norms adversely affect the Maori?
2. In "Workbook," what did Ashton-Warner mean when she said that one cannot plot life?
3. How did Russian peasant students react to Leo Tolstoy's experimental school?
4. Why did Ashton-Warner describe the language of published first readers as "dead"?
5. Why did Ashton-Warner say that the discussions of the children's stories were the "most significant" feature of the class?
6. How did the students perform when they did expressive dancing versus when they learned specific moves?
7. Why were "key words" so essential to learning to read?
8. What did Ashton-Warner mean when she referred to a workbook as a "middleman"?
9. Into what two main categories did Ashton-Warner place many of her students' first words?
10. What did Plato believe about dance?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)