|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time of the day was "paste paint" listed in Ashton-Warner's daily schedule?
(c) 1:00 to 2:00.
2. What word did Ashton-Warner say few boys did not know how to spell?
3. To what world-wide agency did Ashton-Warner refer to in describing teaching methods in underdeveloped nations?
(a) Red Cross.
(b) Save the Children.
(c) Feed the Children.
4. What interesting word did Brian use to describe a bus in his story?
5. How many students, according to the university professor quoted in "The Unlived Life," are capable of creative thought?
(a) One in a thousand.
(b) One in a hundred.
(c) One in ten thousand.
(d) One in five hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What composer was Ashton-Warner playing when her students began doing expressive dancing?
2. Why did Ashton-Warner object to the use of terms such as "do not" in early readers?
3. At what time did the students turn to the new words during the "intake period"?
4. What figure signified divinity in the Chaldean writing system?
5. What size were the cards Ashton-Warner used for the key vocabulary words?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can a teacher tell when a book is valuable to her students, according to Ashton-Warner?
2. Why was Ashton-Warner disappointed with the pictures the new teacher had chosen to personalize the children's coat hooks?
3. What did Ashton-Warner mean when she referred to a workbook as a "middleman"?
4. Why was teaching the class so back-breaking, according to Ashton-Warner?
5. How did modern life in New Zealand make it difficult for people to use their inner resources?
6. Why was it important for the teacher to be a good conversationalist in the classroom?
7. What is wrong with the cadence in many published first readers?
8. Why did Ashton-Warner describe children's minds as volcanoes and how did that affect her teaching?
9. Why did Ashton-Warner focus on teaching her Maori students nouns at first?
10. How did Russian peasant students react to Leo Tolstoy's experimental school?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)