|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the most powerful word under the "fear" category?
2. According to Ashton-Warner, what is the only answer to destructiveness?
(d) Peaceful readings.
3. What was Helen Keller's first word?
4. What was the most powerful word under the "sex" category?
5. What emotion/activity was NOT listed under the "Daily Rhythm" section of Ashton-Warner's daily schedule?
Short Answer Questions
1. What interesting word did Brian use to describe a bus in his story?
2. What word did Mohi pick as his first key word?
3. To what ancient writing system did Ashton-Warner refer at the beginning of the book?
4. What "univited insect" was NOT seen in the classroom?
5. Under what category was the Maori word, "haka," placed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ashton-Warner describe the language of published first readers as "dead"?
2. How can a teacher tell when a book is valuable to her students, according to Ashton-Warner?
3. What is wrong with the cadence in many published first readers?
4. Why was teaching the class so back-breaking, according to Ashton-Warner?
5. How did the Maori early readers provide a bridge to eventual reading of European material?
6. How did Russian peasant students react to Leo Tolstoy's experimental school?
7. Why was the class so noisy while the children studied their individual key words and what did that noise signify?
8. In "Workbook," what did Ashton-Warner mean when she said that one cannot plot life?
9. How did modern life in New Zealand make it difficult for people to use their inner resources?
10. How did the students perform when they did expressive dancing versus when they learned specific moves?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)