|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poet is quoted at the beginning of "Tone"?
(a) W.B. Yeats.
(c) T.S. Eliot.
(d) e.e. cummings.
2. What activity was NOT included under the 2:10-3 p.m. time slot under "Daily Rhythm"?
(a) Standard Vocabulary.
(b) Standard Reading.
(c) Creative Writing.
(d) Supplementary Reading.
3. What superhero was included in the list of student words in "Organic Reading"?
4. For how long did Ashton-Warner experiment in developing the Maori transitional readers?
(a) Four years.
(b) Six years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
5. In what season was the story of the Little Red Hen told?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ashton-Warner describe the vocabulary in most set early readers?
2. What was Ashton-Warner's response to the problems with the set early readers?
3. What teacher did Ashton-Warner describe as being on the "high mountain" at the beginning of "Workbook"?
4. What figure signified divinity in the Chaldean writing system?
5. What short word did Ashton-Warner say (in "Maori Transitional Readers") was used by Maori at the end or beginning of most spoken sentences?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ashton-Warner mean when she wrote that "we don't waste enough in school?"
2. Why was teaching the class so back-breaking, according to Ashton-Warner?
3. What was the role of handwriting in the Maori students' stories?
4. What did Ashton-Warner mean by "tone" in the classroom?
5. Why did Ashton-Warner describe children's minds as volcanoes and how did that affect her teaching?
6. Into what two main categories did Ashton-Warner place many of her students' first words?
7. In what way does nature provide lessons that books or indoor plantings cannot?
8. How did the Maori early readers provide a bridge to eventual reading of European material?
9. Why did Ashton-Warner say that the discussions of the children's stories were the "most significant" feature of the class?
10. How did modern life in New Zealand make it difficult for people to use their inner resources?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)