|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many students, according to the university professor quoted in "The Unlived Life," are capable of creative thought?
(a) One in five hundred.
(b) One in a hundred.
(c) One in a thousand.
(d) One in ten thousand.
2. Between what hours did Ashton-Warner focus on creativity through work on the key vocabulary?
(a) 8:00 and 9:30.
(b) 9:00 and 10:30.
(c) 10:00 and 11:30.
(d) 12:30 and 2:00.
3. To what animal was Ashton-Warner handed over in a Maori child's made-up story?
(a) A gorilla.
(b) A lion.
(c) An orangutan.
(d) An alligator.
4. How many fancy-dress costumes did Ashton-Warner own?
(b) One hundred.
5. To what natural phenomenon did Ashton-Warner describe the mind of a young child?
(a) A tsunami.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A volcano.
(d) A tornado.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Erich Fromm, what is the outcome of the unlived life?
2. What interesting word did Brian use to describe a bus in his story?
3. Who is the true school master, according to the quote from Caldwell Cook?
4. In what year did Leo Tolstoy begin his peasant school?
5. To what world-wide agency did Ashton-Warner refer to in describing teaching methods in underdeveloped nations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ashton-Warner throw out words that students did not recognize the second time?
2. Why was it important for the teacher to be a good conversationalist in the classroom?
3. What did Ashton-Warner mean when she referred to a workbook as a "middleman"?
4. Why did Ashton-Warner say that the discussions of the children's stories were the "most significant" feature of the class?
5. What revelation did Ashton-Warner have in "Post-Holiday Notes" about using Maori readers with both Maori and white students?
6. What did Plato believe about dance?
7. How did early exposure to white cultural norms adversely affect the Maori?
8. What did Ashton-Warner mean by "tone" in the classroom?
9. What was the role of handwriting in the Maori students' stories?
10. What was the connection Ashton-Warner drew between the infant room and war and peace?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)