|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many other books preceded the development of the Maori transitional readers?
2. What were the two main instincts around which the key vocabulary was built?
(a) Love and sex.
(b) Fear and love.
(c) Fear and hate.
(d) Fear and sex.
3. What activity was NOT included under the 2:10-3 p.m. time slot under "Daily Rhythm"?
(a) Standard Vocabulary.
(b) Creative Writing.
(c) Standard Reading.
(d) Supplementary Reading.
4. What poet is quoted at the beginning of "Tone"?
(a) W.B. Yeats.
(b) e.e. cummings.
(c) T.S. Eliot.
5. Which student picked the word bomb as a first key word?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ashton-Warner keep on hand to repair the student books?
2. What is a "tangi"?
3. How did Ashton-Warner describe the vocabulary in most set early readers?
4. Which of the following did NOT affect classroom tone, according to Ashton-Warner?
5. In what country did the volunteer describe teaching villagers how to read and write their own names?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did early exposure to white cultural norms adversely affect the Maori?
2. Why did Ashton-Warner describe children's minds as volcanoes and how did that affect her teaching?
3. Why did Ashton-Warner throw out words that students did not recognize the second time?
4. How did sentence length differ between whites and Maoris?
5. In what way does nature provide lessons that books or indoor plantings cannot?
6. Describe the new teacher encountered by Ashton-Warner as she explores the renovated school.
7. Why was Ashton-Warner disappointed with the pictures the new teacher had chosen to personalize the children's coat hooks?
8. How did the behavior of the children differ in the new classrooms compared to when Ashton-Warner taught at the school?
9. Why did Ashton-Warner find the European and American early readers two-dimensional?
10. Why did Ashton-Warner believe that standardized reading texts were damaging to children?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)