|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the most significant part of the students' shared reading?
(a) The discussions.
(b) The practice in reading aloud.
(c) The teaching of grammar.
(d) The teaching of spelling.
2. What interesting word did Brian use to describe a bus in his story?
3. What was the most powerful word under the "sex" category?
4. To what ancient writing system did Ashton-Warner refer at the beginning of the book?
(d) Phoenecian alphabet.
5. What composer was NOT mentioned among the list Ashton-Warner used in her classroom?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ashton-Warner call the most "comely word" in the language?
2. What emotion/activity was NOT listed under the "Daily Rhythm" section of Ashton-Warner's daily schedule?
3. To what animal was Ashton-Warner handed over in a Maori child's made-up story?
4. What color crayon did Ashton-Warner use for the key vocabulary?
5. How long did Ashton-Warner give the students each day to write their stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does nature provide lessons that books or indoor plantings cannot?
2. Why did Ashton-Warner say that the discussions of the children's stories were the "most significant" feature of the class?
3. How did the children's writings differ from the standard readers offered in most schools?
4. How can a teacher tell when a book is valuable to her students, according to Ashton-Warner?
5. What was the importance of the "inner illustration" in the children's self-written stories?
6. Why did Ashton-Warner believe that standardized reading texts were damaging to children?
7. Why did Ashton-Warner find the European and American early readers two-dimensional?
8. What did Ashton-Warner mean when she wrote that "we don't waste enough in school?"
9. What was the role of handwriting in the Maori students' stories?
10. Why did Ashton-Warner throw out words that students did not recognize the second time?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)