|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the maximum number of children Ashton-Warner felt a teacher could give individual attention to?
2. What educational thinker was quoted at the beginning of "Organic Writing"?
(a) John Dewey.
(b) Horace Mann.
(d) C.E. Beebe.
3. How did Ashton-Warner approach spelling after the students wrote new words on the blackboard?
(a) She asked all of the students to spell all of the words.
(b) She had the students spell the words from other students.
(c) She had each student write the spellings down for a test.
(d) She allowed students to pick a word to spell if they wanted to.
4. How long did the reading period last?
(a) 30 minutes.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) 25 minutes.
(d) 45 minutes.
5. Who referred to dance as the "one complete expression" of a human's many faculties?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ashton-Warner keep on hand to repair the student books?
2. What is a "tangi"?
3. What poet is quoted at the beginning of "Tone"?
4. To what natural phenomenon did Ashton-Warner describe the mind of a young child?
5. What did Ashton-Warner call the most "comely word" in the language?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the importance of the "inner illustration" in the children's self-written stories?
2. What did Ashton-Warner think about as she gazed at the empty site where her old classroom had once stood?
3. Why was it important for the teacher to be a good conversationalist in the classroom?
4. Why was the class so noisy while the children studied their individual key words and what did that noise signify?
5. How did sentence length differ between whites and Maoris?
6. Why was Ashton-Warner disappointed with the pictures the new teacher had chosen to personalize the children's coat hooks?
7. What did Ashton-Warner mean by "tone" in the classroom?
8. Why did Ashton-Warner believe that standardized reading texts were damaging to children?
9. Why was Ashton-Warner so worried about the prospect of being visited by the inspector?
10. What was Ashton-Warner's reaction to the sometimes violent imagery used in the children's stories?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)