|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What educational thinker was quoted at the beginning of "Organic Writing"?
(b) Horace Mann.
(c) John Dewey.
(d) C.E. Beebe.
2. What was one bird NOT mentioned as being seen outside the school?
3. By what title was Tolstoy known to his students?
4. What teacher did Ashton-Warner describe as being on the "high mountain" at the beginning of "Workbook"?
(b) Lo Tung.
5. How did Ashton-Warner describe the energy released during the spelling period in "The Mechanics of Teaching Organic Spelling"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ashton-Warner say many classrooms grow seeds for indoor study?
2. What composer was Ashton-Warner playing when her students began doing expressive dancing?
3. How many fancy-dress costumes did Ashton-Warner own?
4. Which student stumbled on the words "Come," "look," and "and"?
5. At what time did the students turn to the new words during the "intake period"?
Short Essay Questions
1. By what process was spelling taught in Ashton-Warner's classroom?
2. How did the children's writings differ from the standard readers offered in most schools?
3. What did Ashton-Warner mean by "tone" in the classroom?
4. In "Workbook," what did Ashton-Warner mean when she said that one cannot plot life?
5. Why did Ashton-Warner say that the discussions of the children's stories were the "most significant" feature of the class?
6. What was the importance of the "inner illustration" in the children's self-written stories?
7. Why did Ashton-Warner throw out words that students did not recognize the second time?
8. Why were "key words" so essential to learning to read?
9. How did modern life in New Zealand make it difficult for people to use their inner resources?
10. How did Russian peasant students react to Leo Tolstoy's experimental school?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)