|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the spelling period last?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 10 minutes.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
2. What poet is quoted at the beginning of "Tone"?
(b) T.S. Eliot.
(c) W.B. Yeats.
(d) e.e. cummings.
3. What figure signified divinity in the Chaldean writing system?
(a) A triangle.
(b) A tree.
(c) An eye.
(d) A dart.
4. How did Ashton-Warner approach spelling after the students wrote new words on the blackboard?
(a) She allowed students to pick a word to spell if they wanted to.
(b) She had each student write the spellings down for a test.
(c) She had the students spell the words from other students.
(d) She asked all of the students to spell all of the words.
5. What short word did Ashton-Warner say (in "Maori Transitional Readers") was used by Maori at the end or beginning of most spoken sentences?
Short Answer Questions
1. By what title was Tolstoy known to his students?
2. What color crayon did Ashton-Warner use for the key vocabulary?
3. To what artist did Ashton-Warner refer to in "Workbook"?
4. What superhero was included in the list of student words in "Organic Reading"?
5. What did Ashton-Warner sometimes use to break up the difficult work of writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did modern life in New Zealand make it difficult for people to use their inner resources?
2. What did Ashton-Warner mean by "tone" in the classroom?
3. Why did Ashton-Warner describe the language of published first readers as "dead"?
4. What is wrong with the cadence in many published first readers?
5. What was the connection Ashton-Warner drew between the infant room and war and peace?
6. Why did Ashton-Warner throw out words that students did not recognize the second time?
7. In what way does nature provide lessons that books or indoor plantings cannot?
8. Why was the class so noisy while the children studied their individual key words and what did that noise signify?
9. In "Workbook," what did Ashton-Warner mean when she said that one cannot plot life?
10. What was the importance of the "inner illustration" in the children's self-written stories?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)