|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did many of the students' stories become by the time they were six?
(a) One whole paragraph.
(b) One page.
(c) Half a page.
(d) Three sentences.
2. By what title was Tolstoy known to his students?
3. To what world-wide agency did Ashton-Warner refer to in describing teaching methods in underdeveloped nations?
(a) Red Cross.
(b) Save the Children.
(c) Feed the Children.
4. What did Ashton-Warner do with the key vocabulary words that were forgotten the next day?
(a) She destroyed those cards.
(b) She tried the cards with other students.
(c) She put the cards away for another day.
(d) She focused on teaching those words.
5. What size were the cards Ashton-Warner used for the key vocabulary words?
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long did Ashton-Warner experiment in developing the Maori transitional readers?
2. Under what category was the Maori word, "haka," placed?
3. Which student picked the word bomb as a first key word?
4. To what natural phenomenon did Ashton-Warner describe the mind of a young child?
5. Which of the following did NOT affect classroom tone, according to Ashton-Warner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can a teacher tell when a book is valuable to her students, according to Ashton-Warner?
2. What is wrong with the cadence in many published first readers?
3. Why did Ashton-Warner describe children's minds as volcanoes and how did that affect her teaching?
4. Why were "key words" so essential to learning to read?
5. How did the Maori early readers provide a bridge to eventual reading of European material?
6. Why did Ashton-Warner say that the discussions of the children's stories were the "most significant" feature of the class?
7. What did Plato believe about dance?
8. Why was the class so noisy while the children studied their individual key words and what did that noise signify?
9. What was the connection Ashton-Warner drew between the infant room and war and peace?
10. What did Ashton-Warner mean when she wrote that "we don't waste enough in school?"
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)