|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long ago had the Maoris ancestors arrived in New Zealand from Polynesia?
(a) 1,000 years.
(b) 800 years.
(c) 600 years.
(d) 500 years.
2. Which family's dog sometimes visited the class when Ashton-Warner was teaching?
3. Which student wrote about a father drinking all the beer at the party?
4. What color were the sports pullovers the basketball players were knitting for themselves?
5. What was the name of the man doing the floors in the new classroom?
6. What instrument did Waiwini play?
7. Which student's mother turned away from Ashton-Warner while walking through town?
8. How old was Peter, the chairman of the school board?
9. What were Ashton-Warner and Mr. Tremaine drinking while talking on the porch?
10. What did Ashton-Warner do as she turned and left the classroom?
(d) Say goodbye.
11. To what institution did Ashton-Warner compare teaching?
(b) First Communion.
12. What did Mrs. Cutter send to Ashton-Warner in "Life in a Maori School, 1"?
(b) A book.
(d) A necklace.
13. What is a "taiaha"?
(a) A totem pole.
(b) A protective shield.
(c) A flint knife.
(d) A wooden spear.
14. To what did Ashton-Warner compare her classroom of the previous year?
(a) A fortress.
(b) A Maori village.
(c) A cathedral.
(d) A castle.
15. What was the weather like the day Ashton-Warner met with Tremaine?
Short Answer Questions
1. What fictional character did Matawhero remind Ashton-Warner?
2. What event was being celebrated for Kahu at the Assembly Hall?
3. What did a "little one" say somebody had broken in Ashton-Warner's reminiscences?
4. What did Professor Baillie say killed education?
5. What is a "waiata"?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)