|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What pet did Matawhero bring to school in "Post Holiday Notes?"
(a) A Siamese cat.
(b) A lizard.
(c) A white dog.
(d) A black kitten.
2. On what day did it become clear that the inspectors would not be coming?
(d) The following Monday.
3. What is a "pakeha"?
(a) A child.
(b) A chief.
(c) A warrior.
(d) A white person.
4. Which student wrote about his father hitting his mother in her face in "Compositions"?
5. On what evening did Mr. Tremaine visit the school?
6. Although fear and sex were identified as two main instincts, what word did Ashton-Warner say was missing from the beginning Maori readers?
7. What instrument did the seven-year-old twins play after the event for Kahu?
8. What color were the sports pullovers the basketball players were knitting for themselves?
9. What was one of the items "missing" from the new classroom?
(a) The water trough.
(b) The murals.
(c) The coat hooks.
(d) The wallpaper.
10. To what did Ashton-Warner compare her classroom of the previous year?
(a) A fortress.
(b) A Maori village.
(c) A cathedral.
(d) A castle.
11. According to Ashton-Warner, who provided the beer for the three-day party?
(a) Maori leaders.
(b) The school.
(c) White neighbors.
(d) The police.
12. How long ago had the Maoris ancestors arrived in New Zealand from Polynesia?
(a) 1,000 years.
(b) 800 years.
(c) 600 years.
(d) 500 years.
13. What is a "waiata"?
(a) A Maori shield.
(b) A Maori song.
(c) A Maori weapon.
(d) A Maori hut.
14. What did Ashton-Warner call the "weakest" words in the language?
(a) Come, see, but.
(b) Look, see, and.
(c) Come, look, and.
(d) She, he, it.
15. Where did the visitors who came to look at the Maori primers visiting from?
(a) An Australian school.
(b) An American school.
(c) The university.
(d) The school board.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Maori nickname for New Zealand?
2. What did the drawings depict in the Infant Reading Scheme that Ashton-Warner showed to Tremaine?
3. Why could the children not yet go into the classrooms?
4. What was the name of the man doing the floors in the new classroom?
5. What event was being celebrated for Kahu at the Assembly Hall?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)