|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the drawings depict in the Infant Reading Scheme that Ashton-Warner showed to Tremaine?
2. To what did Ashton-Warner compare her classroom of the previous year?
(a) A castle.
(b) A fortress.
(c) A cathedral.
(d) A Maori village.
3. How old was Peter, the chairman of the school board?
4. Which student's mother turned away from Ashton-Warner while walking through town?
5. When was the last time someone bought new things for Helen?
(a) Three years.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Four years.
6. Which of her former students was NOT in the new classroom for the new readers?
7. How did Ashton-Warner react after the "June incident"?
(a) She considered quitting.
(b) She quickly forgot about it.
(c) She became sick.
(d) She could not sleep at night.
8. When did "Remembering" take place?
(a) Six months later.
(b) Two years later.
(c) Five years later.
(d) A year after the events in the book.
9. What part of speech did Ashton-Warner first teach her Maori students to read?
10. In the "game" in which children said what frightened them, what was Seven afraid of?
11. To what institution did Ashton-Warner compare teaching?
(a) First Communion.
12. What did Mark claim had been stolen from him in "Life in a Maori School, 1"?
(a) An apron.
(b) An easel.
(c) A paintbrush.
(d) A backpack.
13. What did her former students do when Ashton-Warner arrived to visit their new classroom?
(a) They rose together to greet her.
(b) They ran helter-skelter toward her.
(c) They sat still in their chairs.
(d) They gathered in a circle around her.
14. What did Seven allegedly use to attack Wi?
(a) A knife.
(b) A gun.
(c) An axe.
(d) A mallet.
15. What fictional character did Matawhero remind Ashton-Warner?
(a) Peter Pan.
(c) Christopher Robin.
(d) Winnie the Pooh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which student wrote about a father drinking all the beer at the party?
2. What was the new teacher doing when Ashton-Warner left the classroom?
3. What word was NOT included on the list of words for struggling readers in February?
4. In the scene in which Ashton-Warner laments the family using school supply money for poker, how much did she say a pencil cost?
5. What did a "little one" say somebody had broken in Ashton-Warner's reminiscences?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)