|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mere and June rub on their faces?
(a) Red chalk.
(b) Yellow crayon.
(c) Blue powder.
(d) Red paint.
2. When was the last time someone bought new things for Helen?
(a) Three years.
(b) Four years.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
3. What did a "little one" say somebody had broken in Ashton-Warner's reminiscences?
(a) His castle.
(b) His hut.
(c) His toy car.
(d) His toy jet.
4. How long ago had the Maoris ancestors arrived in New Zealand from Polynesia?
(a) 600 years.
(b) 1,000 years.
(c) 500 years.
(d) 800 years.
5. Which student's mother turned away from Ashton-Warner while walking through town?
6. How did Ashton-Warner react to Matawhero's attack on the other student?
(a) She made Matawhero apologize to the other student.
(b) She put him in timeout.
(c) She sent him home.
(d) She made him sit in front of the class all day.
7. In what town was the "most spectacular" Maori meeting house in New Zealand?
8. How much money had been lost in poker and beer by the parent of one student, in the section "Composition"?
(a) 84 pounds.
(b) 95 pounds.
(c) 100 pounds.
(d) 67 pounds.
9. When did "Remembering" take place?
(a) Two years later.
(b) A year after the events in the book.
(c) Six months later.
(d) Five years later.
10. Although fear and sex were identified as two main instincts, what word did Ashton-Warner say was missing from the beginning Maori readers?
11. What position did Matawhero's grandfather hold?
(a) Chariman of the Board of Selectmen.
(b) Chairman of the School Advisory Committee.
(c) Chairman of the Board of Supervisors.
(d) Chairman of the School Committee.
12. What was the new teacher doing when Ashton-Warner left the classroom?
(a) Showing the children where to hang their coats.
(b) Asking each child to read a word.
(c) Reading a story to the children.
(d) Collecting homework assignments.
13. What color were the new doors in the classrooms?
14. In what tense should verbs be when taught to beginning readers, according to Ashton-Warern?
(b) Present subjunctive.
(d) Past perfect.
15. How many words had Tame learned, according to the chart in "Post Holiday Notes"?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ashton-Warner, who provided the beer for the three-day party?
2. Why could the children not yet go into the classrooms?
3. How many Maori readers did Aston-Warner hand-print?
4. What sport did the Maoris allegedly play during the three-day party?
5. How did Ashton-Warner describe the porch where she met with Tremaine?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)