|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the scene in which Ashton-Warner laments the family using school supply money for poker, how much did she say a pencil cost?
(a) One shilling.
(b) Ten pence.
(c) Seven pence.
(d) Four pence.
2. To what music did the children perform spontaneous, expressive dance?
3. To what institution did Ashton-Warner compare teaching?
(d) First Communion.
4. In what town was the "most spectacular" Maori meeting house in New Zealand?
5. What is a "waiata"?
(a) A Maori weapon.
(b) A Maori hut.
(c) A Maori shield.
(d) A Maori song.
6. Whom did Matawhero hit in "Post Holiday Notes"?
7. What did Ashton-Warner do as she turned and left the classroom?
(a) Say goodbye.
8. What was the name of the man doing the floors in the new classroom?
9. How many children were in Puki's family?
10. How did Ashton-Warner react to Matawhero's attack on the other student?
(a) She made Matawhero apologize to the other student.
(b) She sent him home.
(c) She put him in timeout.
(d) She made him sit in front of the class all day.
11. What did Mere and June rub on their faces?
(a) Red paint.
(b) Yellow crayon.
(c) Blue powder.
(d) Red chalk.
12. According to Ashton-Warner, who provided the beer for the three-day party?
(a) The police.
(b) The school.
(c) Maori leaders.
(d) White neighbors.
13. How long ago had the Maoris ancestors arrived in New Zealand from Polynesia?
(a) 600 years.
(b) 800 years.
(c) 500 years.
(d) 1,000 years.
14. Why could the children not yet go into the classrooms?
(a) The stoves were not yet working.
(b) The chalkboards had not been installed.
(c) The roof was not finished.
(d) The floors were not yet dry.
15. What is a "pakeha"?
(a) A warrior.
(b) A chief.
(c) A white person.
(d) A child.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what evening did Mr. Tremaine visit the school?
2. What did a "little one" say somebody had broken in Ashton-Warner's reminiscences?
3. Which basketball player had a leg injury and could not play in the competition?
4. What word was outlawed at the school?
5. What is a "taiaha"?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)