|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the scene in which Ashton-Warner laments the family using school supply money for poker, how much did she say a pencil cost?
(a) Four pence.
(b) Seven pence.
(c) One shilling.
(d) Ten pence.
2. What color were the new doors in the classrooms?
3. What is a "marae?"
(a) A temple enclosure.
(b) A totem pole.
(c) A wooden spear.
(d) A ceremonial mask.
4. What sport did the Maoris allegedly play during the three-day party?
5. In what town was the "most spectacular" Maori meeting house in New Zealand?
6. To what did Ashton-Warner compare her classroom of the previous year?
(a) A fortress.
(b) A Maori village.
(c) A cathedral.
(d) A castle.
7. What story was Ashton-Warner asked to read while trying to get the child to nap?
(a) Red Riding Hood.
(c) The Blue Jug.
(d) Hansel and Gretel.
8. What was the new teacher doing when Ashton-Warner left the classroom?
(a) Reading a story to the children.
(b) Asking each child to read a word.
(c) Showing the children where to hang their coats.
(d) Collecting homework assignments.
9. How many "halves" did the girls' basketball team play?
10. What did her former students do when Ashton-Warner arrived to visit their new classroom?
(a) They sat still in their chairs.
(b) They gathered in a circle around her.
(c) They ran helter-skelter toward her.
(d) They rose together to greet her.
11. Which family's dog sometimes visited the class when Ashton-Warner was teaching?
12. What did Ashton-Warner do as she turned and left the classroom?
(b) Say goodbye.
13. What part of speech did Ashton-Warner first teach her Maori students to read?
14. What did one section of wallpaper depict?
(a) Cops and robbers.
(b) Cowboys and Indians.
(c) Hansel and Gretel.
(d) Mickey Mouse.
15. What did the drawings depict in the Infant Reading Scheme that Ashton-Warner showed to Tremaine?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which student wrote about a father drinking all the beer at the party?
2. What word was outlawed at the school?
3. According to Ashton-Warner, who provided the beer for the three-day party?
4. When was the last time someone bought new things for Helen?
5. Which student suffered a nervous breakdown?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)