|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the scene in which Ashton-Warner laments the family using school supply money for poker, how much did she say a pencil cost?
(a) One shilling.
(b) Ten pence.
(c) Seven pence.
(d) Four pence.
2. Which basketball-playing student claimed she would not return to school after being punished for bad behavior?
3. What position did Matawhero's grandfather hold?
(a) Chairman of the School Advisory Committee.
(b) Chairman of the Board of Supervisors.
(c) Chairman of the School Committee.
(d) Chariman of the Board of Selectmen.
4. What is a "roro"?
(a) A plaza.
(b) A gazebo.
(c) A roof.
(d) A verandah.
5. What author, quoted by Ashton-Warner, advocated hitting children as punishment?
(a) E.M. Forster.
(b) D.H. Lawrence.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) T.S. Eliot.
6. In the "game" in which children said what frightened them, what was Seven afraid of?
7. How many children were on Ashton-Warner's school basketball team?
8. What event was being celebrated for Kahu at the Assembly Hall?
(a) His coming-of-age.
(b) His anniversary.
(c) His baptism.
(d) His graduation.
9. What did her former students do when Ashton-Warner arrived to visit their new classroom?
(a) They ran helter-skelter toward her.
(b) They gathered in a circle around her.
(c) They sat still in their chairs.
(d) They rose together to greet her.
10. What is the Maori nickname for New Zealand?
(a) Land of the Green Mountains.
(b) Land of the High Valleys.
(c) Land of the Beautiful Mountains.
(d) Land of the Long White Cloud.
11. On what evening did Mr. Tremaine visit the school?
12. Which basketball player had a leg injury and could not play in the competition?
13. What did Ashton-Warner do as she turned and left the classroom?
(a) Say goodbye.
14. To what institution did Ashton-Warner compare teaching?
(c) First Communion.
15. In what tense should verbs be when taught to beginning readers, according to Ashton-Warern?
(a) Present subjunctive.
(d) Past perfect.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what music did the children perform spontaneous, expressive dance?
2. Why could the children not yet go into the classrooms?
3. Which author stated that "words have souls"?
4. What did a "little one" say somebody had broken in Ashton-Warner's reminiscences?
5. Although fear and sex were identified as two main instincts, what word did Ashton-Warner say was missing from the beginning Maori readers?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)