|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which family's dog sometimes visited the class when Ashton-Warner was teaching?
2. Which basketball player had a leg injury and could not play in the competition?
3. Although fear and sex were identified as two main instincts, what word did Ashton-Warner say was missing from the beginning Maori readers?
4. At what age did students enter Std., Form II in New Zealand?
(a) 16 or 17.
(b) 13 or 14.
(c) 12 or 13.
(d) 14 or 15.
5. How long ago had the Maoris ancestors arrived in New Zealand from Polynesia?
(a) 500 years.
(b) 1,000 years.
(c) 600 years.
(d) 800 years.
6. Which author stated that "words have souls"?
(b) de Maurier.
(d) de Maupassant.
7. What did a "little one" say somebody had broken in Ashton-Warner's reminiscences?
(a) His hut.
(b) His castle.
(c) His toy jet.
(d) His toy car.
8. What kind of tree could be seen through the glass wall?
9. How many children were in Puki's family?
10. What student did Ashton-Warner think would have advanced farther had he been able to use "white" readers?
11. On what evening did Mr. Tremaine visit the school?
12. Why could the children not yet go into the classrooms?
(a) The stoves were not yet working.
(b) The roof was not finished.
(c) The floors were not yet dry.
(d) The chalkboards had not been installed.
13. What was the name of the man doing the floors in the new classroom?
14. What position did Matawhero's grandfather hold?
(a) Chairman of the School Advisory Committee.
(b) Chairman of the Board of Supervisors.
(c) Chariman of the Board of Selectmen.
(d) Chairman of the School Committee.
15. In the "game" in which children said what frightened them, what was Seven afraid of?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the scene in which Ashton-Warner laments the family using school supply money for poker, how much did she say a pencil cost?
2. What story was Ashton-Warner asked to read while trying to get the child to nap?
3. What did Ashton-Warner do as she turned and left the classroom?
4. How many "halves" did the girls' basketball team play?
5. How many Maori readers did Aston-Warner hand-print?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)