|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which author stated that "words have souls"?
(b) de Maurier.
(c) de Maupassant.
2. What student did Ashton-Warner think would have advanced farther had he been able to use "white" readers?
3. Which of her former students was NOT in the new classroom for the new readers?
4. Which wall in the new classroom was completely glassed?
5. How many children were in Puki's family?
6. What is a "waiata"?
(a) A Maori song.
(b) A Maori hut.
(c) A Maori weapon.
(d) A Maori shield.
7. Where did the visitors who came to look at the Maori primers visiting from?
(a) An Australian school.
(b) The school board.
(c) The university.
(d) An American school.
8. What did Ashton-Warner do as she turned and left the classroom?
(d) Say goodbye.
9. To what music did the children perform spontaneous, expressive dance?
10. In what tense should verbs be when taught to beginning readers, according to Ashton-Warern?
(a) Present subjunctive.
(b) Past perfect.
11. How did Ashton-Warner react after the "June incident"?
(a) She could not sleep at night.
(b) She quickly forgot about it.
(c) She considered quitting.
(d) She became sick.
12. What color were the new doors in the classrooms?
13. Whom did Matawhero hit in "Post Holiday Notes"?
14. What did Mark claim had been stolen from him in "Life in a Maori School, 1"?
(a) An apron.
(b) An easel.
(c) A backpack.
(d) A paintbrush.
15. In what town was the "most spectacular" Maori meeting house in New Zealand?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why could the children not yet go into the classrooms?
2. What sport did the Maoris allegedly play during the three-day party?
3. To what did Ashton-Warner compare her classroom of the previous year?
4. What position did Matawhero's grandfather hold?
5. Which family's dog sometimes visited the class when Ashton-Warner was teaching?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)