|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of the items "missing" from the new classroom?
(a) The murals.
(b) The coat hooks.
(c) The wallpaper.
(d) The water trough.
2. What did Ashton-Warner call the "weakest" words in the language?
(a) Look, see, and.
(b) Come, see, but.
(c) She, he, it.
(d) Come, look, and.
3. What pet did Matawhero bring to school in "Post Holiday Notes?"
(a) A white dog.
(b) A Siamese cat.
(c) A lizard.
(d) A black kitten.
4. What word was outlawed at the school?
5. What were Ashton-Warner and Mr. Tremaine drinking while talking on the porch?
6. How did Ashton-Warner describe the porch where she met with Tremaine?
(d) Falling apart.
7. What did a "little one" say somebody had broken in Ashton-Warner's reminiscences?
(a) His toy car.
(b) His toy jet.
(c) His hut.
(d) His castle.
8. How many children can work at the art easel in the new classroom?
9. What word was NOT included on the list of words for struggling readers in February?
10. What is a "marae?"
(a) A temple enclosure.
(b) A wooden spear.
(c) A ceremonial mask.
(d) A totem pole.
11. What is a "waiata"?
(a) A Maori hut.
(b) A Maori weapon.
(c) A Maori shield.
(d) A Maori song.
12. What did Ashton-Warner do as she turned and left the classroom?
(b) Say goodbye.
13. Whom did Matawhero hit in "Post Holiday Notes"?
14. What did one section of wallpaper depict?
(a) Cops and robbers.
(b) Mickey Mouse.
(c) Cowboys and Indians.
(d) Hansel and Gretel.
15. Which student's mother turned away from Ashton-Warner while walking through town?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago had the Maoris ancestors arrived in New Zealand from Polynesia?
2. How old was Peter, the chairman of the school board?
3. Which student did Ashton-Warner say had to talk to the teacher every time she read a story?
4. Which student wrote about his father hitting his mother in her face in "Compositions"?
5. In what tense should verbs be when taught to beginning readers, according to Ashton-Warern?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)