|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which student wrote about his father hitting his mother in her face in "Compositions"?
2. What part of speech did Ashton-Warner first teach her Maori students to read?
3. Why could the children not yet go into the classrooms?
(a) The chalkboards had not been installed.
(b) The floors were not yet dry.
(c) The roof was not finished.
(d) The stoves were not yet working.
4. In what tense should verbs be when taught to beginning readers, according to Ashton-Warern?
(a) Present subjunctive.
(c) Past perfect.
5. Which student's mother turned away from Ashton-Warner while walking through town?
6. Which student did Ashton-Warner say was one of her brightest and most sensitive, despite the poor handwriting?
7. What color did Ashton-Warner say she liked after her basketball team won?
8. Which student had a father who worked at the carnival?
9. On what day did it become clear that the inspectors would not be coming?
(d) The following Monday.
10. What fictional character did Ashton-Warner reference in her section on education on marriage?
(a) Anna Karenina.
(b) Madame Bovary.
11. What did Mere and June rub on their faces?
(a) Blue powder.
(b) Red chalk.
(c) Red paint.
(d) Yellow crayon.
12. How long ago had the Maoris ancestors arrived in New Zealand from Polynesia?
(a) 1,000 years.
(b) 600 years.
(c) 500 years.
(d) 800 years.
13. How many children were in Puki's family?
14. What instrument did the seven-year-old twins play after the event for Kahu?
15. How did Ashton-Warner react after the "June incident"?
(a) She could not sleep at night.
(b) She became sick.
(c) She quickly forgot about it.
(d) She considered quitting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "pakeha"?
2. What sport did the Maoris allegedly play during the three-day party?
3. How many new stoves did the school have?
4. How many children can work at the art easel in the new classroom?
5. What is the Maori nickname for New Zealand?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)