|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illustration was NOT included in the pictures on the new coat hooks for the students?
(b) White children.
(c) The pa.
2. Which family's dog sometimes visited the class when Ashton-Warner was teaching?
3. Although fear and sex were identified as two main instincts, what word did Ashton-Warner say was missing from the beginning Maori readers?
4. Why could the children not yet go into the classrooms?
(a) The stoves were not yet working.
(b) The chalkboards had not been installed.
(c) The roof was not finished.
(d) The floors were not yet dry.
5. When did "Remembering" take place?
(a) A year after the events in the book.
(b) Six months later.
(c) Five years later.
(d) Two years later.
6. On what evening did Mr. Tremaine visit the school?
7. How many children were in Puki's family?
8. What sport did the Maoris allegedly play during the three-day party?
9. What did Ashton-Warner do as she turned and left the classroom?
(b) Say goodbye.
10. What instrument did the seven-year-old twins play after the event for Kahu?
11. Which student's mother turned away from Ashton-Warner while walking through town?
12. What position did Matawhero's grandfather hold?
(a) Chairman of the Board of Supervisors.
(b) Chairman of the School Advisory Committee.
(c) Chairman of the School Committee.
(d) Chariman of the Board of Selectmen.
13. What did her former students do when Ashton-Warner arrived to visit their new classroom?
(a) They gathered in a circle around her.
(b) They ran helter-skelter toward her.
(c) They rose together to greet her.
(d) They sat still in their chairs.
14. In what tense should verbs be when taught to beginning readers, according to Ashton-Warern?
(b) Past perfect.
(c) Present subjunctive.
15. What color were the new doors in the classrooms?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "marae?"
2. What author, quoted by Ashton-Warner, advocated hitting children as punishment?
3. Which student did Ashton-Warner say had to talk to the teacher every time she read a story?
4. What color did Ashton-Warner say she liked after her basketball team won?
5. Which student had a father who worked at the carnival?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)