|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What pet did Matawhero bring to school in "Post Holiday Notes?"
(a) A lizard.
(b) A black kitten.
(c) A Siamese cat.
(d) A white dog.
2. What did Mark claim had been stolen from him in "Life in a Maori School, 1"?
(a) An easel.
(b) A backpack.
(c) A paintbrush.
(d) An apron.
3. How many words had Tame learned, according to the chart in "Post Holiday Notes"?
4. What was one of the items "missing" from the new classroom?
(a) The water trough.
(b) The murals.
(c) The wallpaper.
(d) The coat hooks.
5. What writer referred to "pedagogical intercourse"?
6. How old was Peter, the chairman of the school board?
7. How much money had been lost in poker and beer by the parent of one student, in the section "Composition"?
(a) 84 pounds.
(b) 95 pounds.
(c) 67 pounds.
(d) 100 pounds.
8. Which student suffered a nervous breakdown?
9. In the scene in which Ashton-Warner laments the family using school supply money for poker, how much did she say a pencil cost?
(a) Seven pence.
(b) Ten pence.
(c) One shilling.
(d) Four pence.
10. What did a "little one" say somebody had broken in Ashton-Warner's reminiscences?
(a) His hut.
(b) His toy jet.
(c) His castle.
(d) His toy car.
11. What did Mrs. Cutter send to Ashton-Warner in "Life in a Maori School, 1"?
(a) A book.
(d) A necklace.
12. How much did Peter weigh?
(a) 15 stone.
(b) 18 stone.
(c) 14 stone.
(d) 16 stone.
13. How did Ashton-Warner describe the porch where she met with Tremaine?
(d) Falling apart.
14. Which student had a father who worked at the carnival?
15. What did one section of wallpaper depict?
(a) Hansel and Gretel.
(b) Cowboys and Indians.
(c) Cops and robbers.
(d) Mickey Mouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which student wrote about his father hitting his mother in her face in "Compositions"?
2. What were Ashton-Warner and Mr. Tremaine drinking while talking on the porch?
3. What color did Ashton-Warner say she liked after her basketball team won?
4. What was the name of the man doing the floors in the new classroom?
5. Which basketball-playing student claimed she would not return to school after being punished for bad behavior?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)