|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What educational thinker was quoted at the beginning of "Organic Writing"?
(a) C.E. Beebe.
(b) John Dewey.
(c) Horace Mann.
2. What did the students do with their cards after they were handed out?
(a) They read the words to the teacher.
(b) They read the words silently to themselves.
(c) They paired up with other students and taught each other the words.
(d) They wrote stories using the words.
3. How did Ashton-Warner describe the energy released during the spelling period in "The Mechanics of Teaching Organic Spelling"?
4. What word did Mohi pick as his first key word?
5. How long did Ashton-Warner give the students each day to write their stories?
(a) 20 minutes.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) An hour.
(d) A half-hour.
6. What was the most significant part of the students' shared reading?
(a) The discussions.
(b) The teaching of grammar.
(c) The practice in reading aloud.
(d) The teaching of spelling.
7. In what year did Leo Tolstoy begin his peasant school?
8. Which student stumbled on the words "Come," "look," and "and"?
9. What did Brian mean by the term he used to describe the bus in his story?
(d) Falling apart.
10. How long did the reading period last?
(a) 25 minutes.
(b) 45 minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
11. What did Ashton-Warner call the most "comely word" in the language?
12. Who referred to dance as the "one complete expression" of a human's many faculties?
13. What was the most powerful word under the "fear" category?
14. By what title was Tolstoy known to his students?
15. What did the students do if they ran out of time to write their stories in the allotted time?
(a) They extended the writing period.
(b) They finished them the next day.
(c) They finished them in the afternoon.
(d) They finished them at home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Helen Keller's first word?
2. What superhero was included in the list of student words in "Organic Reading"?
3. What was the maximum number of children Ashton-Warner felt a teacher could give individual attention to?
4. To what ancient writing system did Ashton-Warner refer at the beginning of the book?
5. What size were the cards Ashton-Warner used for the key vocabulary words?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)