|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Ashton-Warner give the students each day to write their stories?
(a) A half-hour.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) An hour.
2. What did Ashton-Warner call the most "comely word" in the language?
3. At what time of day did Ashton-Warner "teach" the Golden Section?
(a) Between 1 and 2.
(b) Between 12 and 1.
(c) Between 9 and 10.
(d) Between 2 and 3.
4. How did Ashton-Warner describe the energy released during the spelling period in "The Mechanics of Teaching Organic Spelling"?
5. What was the snail nicknamed?
6. Which student stumbled on the words "Come," "look," and "and"?
7. In what season was the story of The Three Goats told?
8. How did Ashton-Warner describe the vocabulary in most set early readers?
(d) Too happy.
9. What superhero was included in the list of student words in "Organic Reading"?
10. What color crayon did Ashton-Warner use for the key vocabulary?
11. What word did Mohi pick as his first key word?
12. In what year did Leo Tolstoy begin his peasant school?
13. What figure signified divinity in the Chaldean writing system?
(a) A dart.
(b) A tree.
(c) A triangle.
(d) An eye.
14. How did Ashton-Warner approach spelling after the students wrote new words on the blackboard?
(a) She asked all of the students to spell all of the words.
(b) She had the students spell the words from other students.
(c) She allowed students to pick a word to spell if they wanted to.
(d) She had each student write the spellings down for a test.
15. To what children's classic did Ashton-Warner refer when writing about books not read in her classroom?
(a) Peter Pan.
(b) Alice in Wonderland.
(c) Treasure Island.
(d) Winnie the Pooh.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what title was Tolstoy known to his students?
2. To what world-wide agency did Ashton-Warner refer to in describing teaching methods in underdeveloped nations?
3. What was the maximum number of children Ashton-Warner felt a teacher could give individual attention to?
4. According to Erich Fromm, what is the outcome of the unlived life?
5. What composer was NOT mentioned among the list Ashton-Warner used in her classroom?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)