|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what season was the story of The Three Goats told?
2. Under what category was the Maori word, "haka," placed?
3. What was the ideal number of students to whom a teacher could give individual attention?
4. What was the maximum number of children Ashton-Warner felt a teacher could give individual attention to?
5. How long were Ashton-Warner's seven-year-old students able to write?
(a) Full page stories.
(b) Ten sentences.
(c) Two or three paragraphs.
(d) Three page stories.
6. According to Ashton-Warner, what is the only answer to destructiveness?
(b) Peaceful readings.
7. How many students, according to the university professor quoted in "The Unlived Life," are capable of creative thought?
(a) One in a hundred.
(b) One in five hundred.
(c) One in ten thousand.
(d) One in a thousand.
8. What was Helen Keller's first word?
9. How long were most of the "stories" written by the students at the beginning of school?
(a) One paragraph.
(b) Two or three words.
(c) Two sentences.
(d) One sentence.
10. To what Dickens novel character did Ashton-Warner refer in "Maori Transitional Readers?"
(a) Tiny Tim.
(b) Oliver Twist.
(c) David Copperfield.
(d) Jean Valjean.
11. In the illustrations accompanying "Organic Writing," what fatal accident did one child claim had happened to him?
(a) He died of cancer.
(b) He died in a car accident.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) He drowned.
12. How many Maori transitional readers did Ashton-Warner end up with?
13. To what animal was Ashton-Warner handed over in a Maori child's made-up story?
(a) A lion.
(b) An alligator.
(c) An orangutan.
(d) A gorilla.
14. What word did Mohi pick as his first key word?
15. What is a "pa"?
(a) A Maori dance.
(b) A Maori village.
(c) A Maori warclub.
(d) A Maori hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most powerful word under the "fear" category?
2. What size were the cards Ashton-Warner used for the key vocabulary words?
3. What color ears did Ashton-Warner say she sometimes saw in children's illustrations?
4. What did Ashton-Warner keep on hand to repair the student books?
5. What composer was NOT mentioned among the list Ashton-Warner used in her classroom?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)