|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word did Mohi pick as his first key word?
2. Which of the following did NOT affect classroom tone, according to Ashton-Warner?
(a) The tone of the surrounding community.
(b) The method used.
(c) The personality of the children.
(d) The personality of the teacher.
3. How long did the spelling period last?
(a) 30 minutes.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) 10 minutes.
4. What was the ideal number of students to whom a teacher could give individual attention?
5. What "univited insect" was NOT seen in the classroom?
6. What were the two main instincts around which the key vocabulary was built?
(a) Fear and sex.
(b) Fear and love.
(c) Love and sex.
(d) Fear and hate.
7. What superhero was included in the list of student words in "Organic Reading"?
8. Which student stumbled on the words "Come," "look," and "and"?
9. According to Erich Fromm, what is the outcome of the unlived life?
(c) Substance abuse.
10. What did the students do with the new words put up on the blackboard each morning?
(a) They added them to their stories.
(b) They read them together out loud.
(c) They made sentences together with them.
(d) They practiced spelling them.
11. To what artist did Ashton-Warner refer to in "Workbook"?
(b) Da Vinci.
12. How long did the reading period last?
(a) 45 minutes.
(b) 30 minutes.
(c) 25 minutes.
(d) 15 minutes.
13. Who is the true school master, according to the quote from Caldwell Cook?
(a) The professor.
(b) The parent.
(c) The artist.
(d) The student.
14. What did the students do with their cards after they were handed out?
(a) They paired up with other students and taught each other the words.
(b) They read the words silently to themselves.
(c) They wrote stories using the words.
(d) They read the words to the teacher.
15. What did Ashton-Warner keep on hand to repair the student books?
(d) Paper clips.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many other books preceded the development of the Maori transitional readers?
2. What word did Ashton-Warner say few boys did not know how to spell?
3. To what Dickens novel character did Ashton-Warner refer in "Maori Transitional Readers?"
4. At what time did the students turn to the new words during the "intake period"?
5. What was the maximum number of children Ashton-Warner felt a teacher could give individual attention to?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)