|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what ancient writing system did Ashton-Warner refer at the beginning of the book?
(b) Phoenecian alphabet.
2. To what natural phenomenon did Ashton-Warner describe the mind of a young child?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A tornado.
(c) A volcano.
(d) A tsunami.
3. What composer was NOT mentioned among the list Ashton-Warner used in her classroom?
4. What poet is quoted at the beginning of "Tone"?
(a) W.B. Yeats.
(c) e.e. cummings.
(d) T.S. Eliot.
5. What was the condition of the student-made books after several reading sessions?
(a) They were in fair condition.
(b) They were in pristine condition.
(c) They were lost.
(d) They were in tatters.
6. What was one bird NOT mentioned as being seen outside the school?
7. At what time of day did Ashton-Warner "teach" the Golden Section?
(a) Between 1 and 2.
(b) Between 2 and 3.
(c) Between 9 and 10.
(d) Between 12 and 1.
8. Where did Ashton-Warner say many classrooms grow seeds for indoor study?
(a) In tins.
(b) In pots.
(c) In jars.
(d) In eggshells.
9. How many students, according to the university professor quoted in "The Unlived Life," are capable of creative thought?
(a) One in ten thousand.
(b) One in a thousand.
(c) One in five hundred.
(d) One in a hundred.
10. What was Ashton-Warner's response to the problems with the set early readers?
(a) She asked the families to provide better books.
(b) She used existing Maori texts.
(c) The students wrote their own books.
(d) She wrote the books for her students.
11. How were the children's stories "produced"?
(a) At a professional printers,
(b) On a school typewriter.
(c) In their own handwriting.
(d) In the teacher's handwriting.
12. To what artist did Ashton-Warner refer to in "Workbook"?
(a) Da Vinci.
13. What is a "tangi"?
(a) A traditional Maori home.
(b) A Maori funeral.
(c) A traditional Maori tunic.
(d) A Maori dance.
14. What did Ashton-Warner keep on hand to repair the student books?
(d) Paper clips.
15. How long were Ashton-Warner's seven-year-old students able to write?
(a) Full page stories.
(b) Ten sentences.
(c) Two or three paragraphs.
(d) Three page stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Helen Keller's first word?
2. How did Ashton-Warner describe the vocabulary in most set early readers?
3. What was the most significant part of the students' shared reading?
4. By what title was Tolstoy known to his students?
5. What philosopher said that language must precede a nation's formation?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)