|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what artist did Ashton-Warner refer to in "Workbook"?
(d) Da Vinci.
2. What did the students do with the new words put up on the blackboard each morning?
(a) They practiced spelling them.
(b) They made sentences together with them.
(c) They read them together out loud.
(d) They added them to their stories.
3. What was the most significant part of the students' shared reading?
(a) The teaching of grammar.
(b) The teaching of spelling.
(c) The discussions.
(d) The practice in reading aloud.
4. What was the maximum number of children Ashton-Warner felt a teacher could give individual attention to?
5. How were the children's stories "produced"?
(a) In the teacher's handwriting.
(b) In their own handwriting.
(c) On a school typewriter.
(d) At a professional printers,
6. Which student chose "King of the Rocket Men" as a key word?
(a) Joe Joe.
7. What color ears did Ashton-Warner say she sometimes saw in children's illustrations?
8. What size were the cards Ashton-Warner used for the key vocabulary words?
9. How long did the reading period last?
(a) 25 minutes.
(b) 45 minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
10. At what time of the day was "paste paint" listed in Ashton-Warner's daily schedule?
(b) 1:00 to 2:00.
11. What poet is quoted at the beginning of "Tone"?
(b) T.S. Eliot.
(c) W.B. Yeats.
(d) e.e. cummings.
12. What did Ashton-Warner call the most "comely word" in the language?
13. Where did Ashton-Warner say many classrooms grow seeds for indoor study?
(a) In jars.
(b) In tins.
(c) In pots.
(d) In eggshells.
14. What emotion/activity was NOT listed under the "Daily Rhythm" section of Ashton-Warner's daily schedule?
15. By what title was Tolstoy known to his students?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what children's classic did Ashton-Warner refer when writing about books not read in her classroom?
2. In the illustrations accompanying "Organic Writing," what fatal accident did one child claim had happened to him?
3. What did Ashton-Warner sometimes use to break up the difficult work of writing?
4. What word did Ashton-Warner say few boys did not know how to spell?
5. Which student picked the word bomb as a first key word?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)