|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Erich Fromm, what is the outcome of the unlived life?
(b) Substance abuse.
2. What word did Ashton-Warner say few boys did not know how to spell?
3. What was the most powerful word under the "sex" category?
4. What did the students do with the new words put up on the blackboard each morning?
(a) They practiced spelling them.
(b) They added them to their stories.
(c) They read them together out loud.
(d) They made sentences together with them.
5. What did Ashton-Warner sometimes use to break up the difficult work of writing?
(b) Listening to piano music.
(c) Expressive dancing.
(d) Playing outside.
6. In what season was the story of the Little Red Hen told?
7. What did the junior assistant or a senior pupil sometimes do with the younger students during shared reading?
(c) Read a story.
(d) Do a science experiment.
8. What did Ashton-Warner keep on hand to repair the student books?
(a) Paper clips.
9. What did the students do with their cards after they were handed out?
(a) They read the words silently to themselves.
(b) They paired up with other students and taught each other the words.
(c) They wrote stories using the words.
(d) They read the words to the teacher.
10. What was the most significant part of the students' shared reading?
(a) The discussions.
(b) The teaching of grammar.
(c) The teaching of spelling.
(d) The practice in reading aloud.
11. Which student chose "King of the Rocket Men" as a key word?
(a) Joe Joe.
12. Why did Ashton-Warner object to the use of terms such as "do not" in early readers?
(a) They did not represent the way people spoke.
(b) They were not used among the Maori.
(c) They delayed the introduction of reading contractions.
(d) They were too long.
13. For how long did Ashton-Warner experiment in developing the Maori transitional readers?
(a) Six years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two years.
14. What is a "pa"?
(a) A Maori hat.
(b) A Maori warclub.
(c) A Maori village.
(d) A Maori dance.
15. What short word did Ashton-Warner say (in "Maori Transitional Readers") was used by Maori at the end or beginning of most spoken sentences?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ashton-Warner say many classrooms grow seeds for indoor study?
2. How many students, according to the university professor quoted in "The Unlived Life," are capable of creative thought?
3. How many Maori transitional readers did Ashton-Warner end up with?
4. What was the condition of the student-made books after several reading sessions?
5. Which student picked the word bomb as a first key word?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)