|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the condition of the student-made books after several reading sessions?
(a) They were in tatters.
(b) They were in pristine condition.
(c) They were in fair condition.
(d) They were lost.
2. How did Ashton-Warner "grade" the stories?
(a) She corrected the spelling and grammar.
(b) She corrected the spelling only.
(c) She never put any marks on the students' writings.
(d) She made suggestions for changes in the stories.
3. What did Ashton-Warner call the most "comely word" in the language?
4. Which student stumbled on the words "Come," "look," and "and"?
5. In the illustrations accompanying "Organic Writing," what fatal accident did one child claim had happened to him?
(a) He died in a car accident.
(b) He died of cancer.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) He drowned.
6. What interesting word did Brian use to describe a bus in his story?
7. Which student picked the word bomb as a first key word?
8. How long were most of the "stories" written by the students at the beginning of school?
(a) Two or three words.
(b) One sentence.
(c) Two sentences.
(d) One paragraph.
9. From where, according to Ashton-Warner, did most New Zealand children develop a "mass mind"?
(c) White New Zealanders.
10. What word did Mohi pick as his first key word?
11. How long did Ashton-Warner give the students each day to write their stories?
(a) A half-hour.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) An hour.
(d) 15 minutes.
12. What is a "pa"?
(a) A Maori dance.
(b) A Maori hat.
(c) A Maori warclub.
(d) A Maori village.
13. Where did the smaller children sometimes go during the shared reading period?
(a) Outside for games.
(b) To another room for science.
(c) To another room for history.
(d) To the math room.
14. What teacher did Ashton-Warner describe as being on the "high mountain" at the beginning of "Workbook"?
(b) Lo Tung.
15. For how long did Ashton-Warner experiment in developing the Maori transitional readers?
(a) Four years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did many of the students' stories become by the time they were six?
2. What size were the cards Ashton-Warner used for the key vocabulary words?
3. What word did Ashton-Warner say few boys did not know how to spell?
4. How did Ashton-Warner describe the energy released during the spelling period in "The Mechanics of Teaching Organic Spelling"?
5. What color ears did Ashton-Warner say she sometimes saw in children's illustrations?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)