|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the spelling period last?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
2. To what Dickens novel character did Ashton-Warner refer in "Maori Transitional Readers?"
(a) David Copperfield.
(b) Oliver Twist.
(c) Tiny Tim.
(d) Jean Valjean.
3. How did Ashton-Warner "grade" the stories?
(a) She corrected the spelling and grammar.
(b) She corrected the spelling only.
(c) She never put any marks on the students' writings.
(d) She made suggestions for changes in the stories.
4. Where did Ashton-Warner say many classrooms grow seeds for indoor study?
(a) In tins.
(b) In jars.
(c) In eggshells.
(d) In pots.
5. For how long did Ashton-Warner experiment in developing the Maori transitional readers?
(a) Two years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Six years.
6. What did the junior assistant or a senior pupil sometimes do with the younger students during shared reading?
(c) Do a science experiment.
(d) Read a story.
7. What poet is quoted at the beginning of "Tone"?
(a) e.e. cummings.
(b) W.B. Yeats.
(c) T.S. Eliot.
8. What was one bird NOT mentioned as being seen outside the school?
9. According to Erich Fromm, what is the outcome of the unlived life?
(a) Substance abuse.
10. What "univited insect" was NOT seen in the classroom?
11. From where, according to Ashton-Warner, did most New Zealand children develop a "mass mind"?
(d) White New Zealanders.
12. According to Ashton-Warner, what is the only answer to destructiveness?
(a) Peaceful readings.
13. What educational thinker was quoted at the beginning of "Organic Writing"?
(a) Horace Mann.
(b) C.E. Beebe.
(c) John Dewey.
14. What composer was Ashton-Warner playing when her students began doing expressive dancing?
15. What is a "pa"?
(a) A Maori dance.
(b) A Maori village.
(c) A Maori hat.
(d) A Maori warclub.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Helen Keller's first word?
2. What was the most significant part of the students' shared reading?
3. How long were most of the "stories" written by the students at the beginning of school?
4. In what country did the volunteer describe teaching villagers how to read and write their own names?
5. What composer was NOT mentioned among the list Ashton-Warner used in her classroom?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)