|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one bird NOT mentioned as being seen outside the school?
2. What were the two main instincts around which the key vocabulary was built?
(a) Fear and love.
(b) Fear and hate.
(c) Fear and sex.
(d) Love and sex.
3. Which student chose "King of the Rocket Men" as a key word?
(d) Joe Joe.
4. How long were Ashton-Warner's seven-year-old students able to write?
(a) Three page stories.
(b) Full page stories.
(c) Two or three paragraphs.
(d) Ten sentences.
5. What color ears did Ashton-Warner say she sometimes saw in children's illustrations?
6. What did Ashton-Warner keep on hand to repair the student books?
(c) Paper clips.
7. To what children's classic did Ashton-Warner refer when writing about books not read in her classroom?
(a) Peter Pan.
(b) Treasure Island.
(c) Alice in Wonderland.
(d) Winnie the Pooh.
8. What was Helen Keller's first word?
9. According to Erich Fromm, what is the outcome of the unlived life?
(d) Substance abuse.
10. What philosopher said that language must precede a nation's formation?
11. How long were most of the "stories" written by the students at the beginning of school?
(a) One sentence.
(b) Two or three words.
(c) Two sentences.
(d) One paragraph.
12. Which student stumbled on the words "Come," "look," and "and"?
13. What size were the cards Ashton-Warner used for the key vocabulary words?
14. In what season was the story of the Little Red Hen told?
15. Between what hours did Ashton-Warner focus on creativity through work on the key vocabulary?
(a) 9:00 and 10:30.
(b) 10:00 and 11:30.
(c) 8:00 and 9:30.
(d) 12:30 and 2:00.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ashton-Warner sometimes use to break up the difficult work of writing?
2. How long did Ashton-Warner give the students each day to write their stories?
3. How were the children's stories "produced"?
4. What did Brian mean by the term he used to describe the bus in his story?
5. At what time of day did Ashton-Warner "teach" the Golden Section?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)