|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many fancy-dress costumes did Ashton-Warner own?
(d) One hundred.
2. How were the chairs arranged for the reading and exchange period?
(a) In a ring.
(b) In three rows.
(c) There were no chairs used.
(d) In straight lines.
3. Where did the smaller children sometimes go during the shared reading period?
(a) To the math room.
(b) Outside for games.
(c) To another room for science.
(d) To another room for history.
4. What was the snail nicknamed?
5. What composer was Ashton-Warner playing when her students began doing expressive dancing?
6. At what time of day did Ashton-Warner "teach" the Golden Section?
(a) Between 12 and 1.
(b) Between 9 and 10.
(c) Between 2 and 3.
(d) Between 1 and 2.
7. What word did Mohi pick as his first key word?
8. What was the maximum number of children Ashton-Warner felt a teacher could give individual attention to?
9. To what natural phenomenon did Ashton-Warner describe the mind of a young child?
(a) A tsunami.
(b) A tornado.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A volcano.
10. What did the junior assistant or a senior pupil sometimes do with the younger students during shared reading?
(a) Read a story.
(c) Do a science experiment.
11. How many other books preceded the development of the Maori transitional readers?
12. What were the two main instincts around which the key vocabulary was built?
(a) Fear and hate.
(b) Fear and love.
(c) Love and sex.
(d) Fear and sex.
13. Which student's parents fought frequently and violently at night?
14. What did the students do with the new words put up on the blackboard each morning?
(a) They added them to their stories.
(b) They made sentences together with them.
(c) They practiced spelling them.
(d) They read them together out loud.
15. According to Ashton-Warner, what is the only answer to destructiveness?
(a) Peaceful readings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "pa"?
2. What composer was NOT mentioned among the list Ashton-Warner used in her classroom?
3. To what world-wide agency did Ashton-Warner refer to in describing teaching methods in underdeveloped nations?
4. How many Maori transitional readers did Ashton-Warner end up with?
5. How long did the reading period last?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)