|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long were Ashton-Warner's seven-year-old students able to write?
(a) Full page stories.
(b) Ten sentences.
(c) Three page stories.
(d) Two or three paragraphs.
2. To what world-wide agency did Ashton-Warner refer to in describing teaching methods in underdeveloped nations?
(a) Save the Children.
(c) Feed the Children.
(d) Red Cross.
3. What was the most significant part of the students' shared reading?
(a) The teaching of grammar.
(b) The practice in reading aloud.
(c) The teaching of spelling.
(d) The discussions.
4. What was the ideal number of students to whom a teacher could give individual attention?
5. To what natural phenomenon does the term "Golden Section" refer?
(a) Wave patterns.
(b) Plant growth.
(c) Leaf patterns.
(d) Animal growth.
6. How long did the reading period last?
(a) 45 minutes.
(b) 30 minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 25 minutes.
7. What did Brian mean by the term he used to describe the bus in his story?
(d) Falling apart.
8. What color ears did Ashton-Warner say she sometimes saw in children's illustrations?
9. In what season was the story of The Three Goats told?
10. How many students, according to the university professor quoted in "The Unlived Life," are capable of creative thought?
(a) One in five hundred.
(b) One in a thousand.
(c) One in ten thousand.
(d) One in a hundred.
11. Why did Ashton-Warner object to the use of terms such as "do not" in early readers?
(a) They delayed the introduction of reading contractions.
(b) They were too long.
(c) They did not represent the way people spoke.
(d) They were not used among the Maori.
12. What figure signified divinity in the Chaldean writing system?
(a) An eye.
(b) A triangle.
(c) A dart.
(d) A tree.
13. What word did Ashton-Warner say few boys did not know how to spell?
14. What did the junior assistant or a senior pupil sometimes do with the younger students during shared reading?
(a) Read a story.
(b) Do a science experiment.
15. What did Ashton-Warner do with the key vocabulary words that were forgotten the next day?
(a) She put the cards away for another day.
(b) She focused on teaching those words.
(c) She tried the cards with other students.
(d) She destroyed those cards.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many fancy-dress costumes did Ashton-Warner own?
2. What teacher did Ashton-Warner describe as being on the "high mountain" at the beginning of "Workbook"?
3. From where, according to Ashton-Warner, did most New Zealand children develop a "mass mind"?
4. What did Ashton-Warner keep on hand to repair the student books?
5. What short word did Ashton-Warner say (in "Maori Transitional Readers") was used by Maori at the end or beginning of most spoken sentences?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)