|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the spelling period last?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 30 minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 20 minutes.
2. How did Ashton-Warner describe the vocabulary in most set early readers?
(d) Too happy.
3. What did the students do if they ran out of time to write their stories in the allotted time?
(a) They extended the writing period.
(b) They finished them the next day.
(c) They finished them at home.
(d) They finished them in the afternoon.
4. At what time of day did Ashton-Warner "teach" the Golden Section?
(a) Between 9 and 10.
(b) Between 12 and 1.
(c) Between 2 and 3.
(d) Between 1 and 2.
5. How long were Ashton-Warner's seven-year-old students able to write?
(a) Ten sentences.
(b) Three page stories.
(c) Full page stories.
(d) Two or three paragraphs.
6. Which student's parents fought frequently and violently at night?
7. To what Dickens novel character did Ashton-Warner refer in "Maori Transitional Readers?"
(a) Tiny Tim.
(b) Oliver Twist.
(c) Jean Valjean.
(d) David Copperfield.
8. What size were the cards Ashton-Warner used for the key vocabulary words?
9. What was the maximum number of children Ashton-Warner felt a teacher could give individual attention to?
10. How were the chairs arranged for the reading and exchange period?
(a) There were no chairs used.
(b) In straight lines.
(c) In three rows.
(d) In a ring.
11. By what title was Tolstoy known to his students?
12. What is a "pa"?
(a) A Maori village.
(b) A Maori dance.
(c) A Maori warclub.
(d) A Maori hat.
13. Under what category was the Maori word, "haka," placed?
14. How did Ashton-Warner approach spelling after the students wrote new words on the blackboard?
(a) She had the students spell the words from other students.
(b) She had each student write the spellings down for a test.
(c) She asked all of the students to spell all of the words.
(d) She allowed students to pick a word to spell if they wanted to.
15. What was the most powerful word under the "fear" category?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the students do with their cards after they were handed out?
2. For how long did Ashton-Warner experiment in developing the Maori transitional readers?
3. What composer was Ashton-Warner playing when her students began doing expressive dancing?
4. How did Ashton-Warner describe the worst assistant she ever had in the classroom?
5. To what world-wide agency did Ashton-Warner refer to in describing teaching methods in underdeveloped nations?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)