|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many other books preceded the development of the Maori transitional readers?
2. Which student picked the word bomb as a first key word?
3. What activity was NOT included under the 2:10-3 p.m. time slot under "Daily Rhythm"?
(a) Supplementary Reading.
(b) Standard Vocabulary.
(c) Standard Reading.
(d) Creative Writing.
4. How long did many of the students' stories become by the time they were six?
(a) One page.
(b) Three sentences.
(c) Half a page.
(d) One whole paragraph.
5. What word did Ashton-Warner say few boys did not know how to spell?
6. How many students, according to the university professor quoted in "The Unlived Life," are capable of creative thought?
(a) One in ten thousand.
(b) One in a thousand.
(c) One in five hundred.
(d) One in a hundred.
7. Which student chose "King of the Rocket Men" as a key word?
(b) Joe Joe.
8. How did Ashton-Warner "grade" the stories?
(a) She never put any marks on the students' writings.
(b) She corrected the spelling only.
(c) She corrected the spelling and grammar.
(d) She made suggestions for changes in the stories.
9. Which student stumbled on the words "Come," "look," and "and"?
10. How long did the reading period last?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 45 minutes.
(c) 25 minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
11. How were the children's stories "produced"?
(a) In their own handwriting.
(b) In the teacher's handwriting.
(c) On a school typewriter.
(d) At a professional printers,
12. How did Ashton-Warner describe the vocabulary in most set early readers?
(a) Too happy.
13. What did Ashton-Warner call the most "comely word" in the language?
14. In what season was the story of the Little Red Hen told?
15. At what time did the students turn to the new words during the "intake period"?
(a) 10:30 a.m.
(b) 11:30 a.m.
(c) 10 a.m.
(d) 11 a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what season was the story of The Three Goats told?
2. What was one bird NOT mentioned as being seen outside the school?
3. What did the students do with the new words put up on the blackboard each morning?
4. How many fancy-dress costumes did Ashton-Warner own?
5. In what country did the volunteer describe teaching villagers how to read and write their own names?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)