|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "pa"?
(a) A Maori dance.
(b) A Maori warclub.
(c) A Maori village.
(d) A Maori hat.
2. Where did the smaller children sometimes go during the shared reading period?
(a) Outside for games.
(b) To another room for history.
(c) To the math room.
(d) To another room for science.
3. In what season was the story of The Three Goats told?
4. What did Brian mean by the term he used to describe the bus in his story?
(a) Falling apart.
5. Why did Ashton-Warner object to the use of terms such as "do not" in early readers?
(a) They did not represent the way people spoke.
(b) They delayed the introduction of reading contractions.
(c) They were too long.
(d) They were not used among the Maori.
6. Who referred to dance as the "one complete expression" of a human's many faculties?
7. What did Ashton-Warner do with the key vocabulary words that were forgotten the next day?
(a) She put the cards away for another day.
(b) She tried the cards with other students.
(c) She destroyed those cards.
(d) She focused on teaching those words.
8. To what world-wide agency did Ashton-Warner refer to in describing teaching methods in underdeveloped nations?
(a) Red Cross.
(c) Feed the Children.
(d) Save the Children.
9. How did Ashton-Warner "grade" the stories?
(a) She never put any marks on the students' writings.
(b) She corrected the spelling and grammar.
(c) She corrected the spelling only.
(d) She made suggestions for changes in the stories.
10. According to Erich Fromm, what is the outcome of the unlived life?
(d) Substance abuse.
11. What was the most significant part of the students' shared reading?
(a) The teaching of spelling.
(b) The practice in reading aloud.
(c) The teaching of grammar.
(d) The discussions.
12. Who is the true school master, according to the quote from Caldwell Cook?
(a) The student.
(b) The parent.
(c) The professor.
(d) The artist.
13. How were the chairs arranged for the reading and exchange period?
(a) There were no chairs used.
(b) In three rows.
(c) In a ring.
(d) In straight lines.
14. How did Ashton-Warner describe the vocabulary in most set early readers?
(d) Too happy.
15. How were the children's stories "produced"?
(a) At a professional printers,
(b) In their own handwriting.
(c) On a school typewriter.
(d) In the teacher's handwriting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which student stumbled on the words "Come," "look," and "and"?
2. What was Helen Keller's first word?
3. What educational thinker was quoted at the beginning of "Organic Writing"?
4. What superhero was included in the list of student words in "Organic Reading"?
5. What teacher did Ashton-Warner describe as being on the "high mountain" at the beginning of "Workbook"?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)