|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the reading period last?
(a) 30 minutes.
(b) 45 minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 25 minutes.
2. What did Brian mean by the term he used to describe the bus in his story?
(a) Falling apart.
3. What superhero was included in the list of student words in "Organic Reading"?
4. In the illustrations accompanying "Organic Writing," what fatal accident did one child claim had happened to him?
(a) He died in a car accident.
(b) He drowned.
(c) He died of cancer.
(d) He was murdered.
5. Who is the true school master, according to the quote from Caldwell Cook?
(a) The student.
(b) The parent.
(c) The artist.
(d) The professor.
6. What is a "tangi"?
(a) A traditional Maori home.
(b) A traditional Maori tunic.
(c) A Maori dance.
(d) A Maori funeral.
7. Where did Ashton-Warner say many classrooms grow seeds for indoor study?
(a) In jars.
(b) In tins.
(c) In eggshells.
(d) In pots.
8. By what title was Tolstoy known to his students?
9. What color ears did Ashton-Warner say she sometimes saw in children's illustrations?
10. To what natural phenomenon did Ashton-Warner describe the mind of a young child?
(a) A volcano.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A tornado.
(d) A tsunami.
11. How many other books preceded the development of the Maori transitional readers?
12. At what time of day did Ashton-Warner "teach" the Golden Section?
(a) Between 1 and 2.
(b) Between 12 and 1.
(c) Between 2 and 3.
(d) Between 9 and 10.
13. Which of the following did NOT affect classroom tone, according to Ashton-Warner?
(a) The tone of the surrounding community.
(b) The personality of the teacher.
(c) The personality of the children.
(d) The method used.
14. What was the snail nicknamed?
15. According to Ashton-Warner, what is the only answer to destructiveness?
(a) Peaceful readings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ashton-Warner sometimes use to break up the difficult work of writing?
2. What short word did Ashton-Warner say (in "Maori Transitional Readers") was used by Maori at the end or beginning of most spoken sentences?
3. To what animal was Ashton-Warner handed over in a Maori child's made-up story?
4. How did Ashton-Warner "grade" the stories?
5. At what time of the day was "paste paint" listed in Ashton-Warner's daily schedule?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)