|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What superhero was included in the list of student words in "Organic Reading"?
2. To what natural phenomenon does the term "Golden Section" refer?
(a) Leaf patterns.
(b) Wave patterns.
(c) Plant growth.
(d) Animal growth.
3. What did Brian mean by the term he used to describe the bus in his story?
(d) Falling apart.
4. What figure signified divinity in the Chaldean writing system?
(a) A triangle.
(b) A tree.
(c) An eye.
(d) A dart.
5. What composer was Ashton-Warner playing when her students began doing expressive dancing?
6. What color ears did Ashton-Warner say she sometimes saw in children's illustrations?
7. At what time of the day was "paste paint" listed in Ashton-Warner's daily schedule?
(d) 1:00 to 2:00.
8. What did Ashton-Warner keep on hand to repair the student books?
(b) Paper clips.
9. How long did the spelling period last?
(a) 20 minutes.
(b) 30 minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 10 minutes.
10. What is a "pa"?
(a) A Maori hat.
(b) A Maori warclub.
(c) A Maori dance.
(d) A Maori village.
11. What was the most powerful word under the "sex" category?
12. How did Ashton-Warner "grade" the stories?
(a) She made suggestions for changes in the stories.
(b) She corrected the spelling and grammar.
(c) She never put any marks on the students' writings.
(d) She corrected the spelling only.
13. From where, according to Ashton-Warner, did most New Zealand children develop a "mass mind"?
(b) White New Zealanders.
14. Under what category was the Maori word, "haka," placed?
15. What did the junior assistant or a senior pupil sometimes do with the younger students during shared reading?
(a) Do a science experiment.
(d) Read a story.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what ancient writing system did Ashton-Warner refer at the beginning of the book?
2. What were the two main instincts around which the key vocabulary was built?
3. To what animal was Ashton-Warner handed over in a Maori child's made-up story?
4. What interesting word did Brian use to describe a bus in his story?
5. Which student chose "King of the Rocket Men" as a key word?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)