|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what ancient writing system did Ashton-Warner refer at the beginning of the book?
(c) Phoenecian alphabet.
2. To what animal was Ashton-Warner handed over in a Maori child's made-up story?
(a) A lion.
(b) An alligator.
(c) A gorilla.
(d) An orangutan.
3. What superhero was included in the list of student words in "Organic Reading"?
4. What "univited insect" was NOT seen in the classroom?
5. What was the ideal number of students to whom a teacher could give individual attention?
6. How were the children's stories "produced"?
(a) On a school typewriter.
(b) In the teacher's handwriting.
(c) At a professional printers,
(d) In their own handwriting.
7. How long were Ashton-Warner's seven-year-old students able to write?
(a) Three page stories.
(b) Two or three paragraphs.
(c) Full page stories.
(d) Ten sentences.
8. What did the students do if they ran out of time to write their stories in the allotted time?
(a) They finished them at home.
(b) They finished them the next day.
(c) They finished them in the afternoon.
(d) They extended the writing period.
9. How did Ashton-Warner describe the vocabulary in most set early readers?
(a) Too happy.
10. How long were most of the "stories" written by the students at the beginning of school?
(a) One sentence.
(b) Two sentences.
(c) One paragraph.
(d) Two or three words.
11. Which student stumbled on the words "Come," "look," and "and"?
12. How were the chairs arranged for the reading and exchange period?
(a) There were no chairs used.
(b) In three rows.
(c) In straight lines.
(d) In a ring.
13. What interesting word did Brian use to describe a bus in his story?
14. How many fancy-dress costumes did Ashton-Warner own?
(a) One hundred.
15. What color ears did Ashton-Warner say she sometimes saw in children's illustrations?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the two main instincts around which the key vocabulary was built?
2. What educational thinker was quoted at the beginning of "Organic Writing"?
3. What activity was NOT included under the 2:10-3 p.m. time slot under "Daily Rhythm"?
4. What figure signified divinity in the Chaldean writing system?
5. Under what category was the Maori word, "haka," placed?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)