|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the true school master, according to the quote from Caldwell Cook?
(a) The parent.
(b) The student.
(c) The professor.
(d) The artist.
2. How long did the spelling period last?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 10 minutes.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
3. What interesting word did Brian use to describe a bus in his story?
4. To what world-wide agency did Ashton-Warner refer to in describing teaching methods in underdeveloped nations?
(a) Feed the Children.
(b) Red Cross.
(d) Save the Children.
5. To what children's classic did Ashton-Warner refer when writing about books not read in her classroom?
(a) Treasure Island.
(b) Winnie the Pooh.
(c) Alice in Wonderland.
(d) Peter Pan.
6. Which student stumbled on the words "Come," "look," and "and"?
7. To what natural phenomenon did Ashton-Warner describe the mind of a young child?
(a) A tornado.
(b) A tsunami.
(c) A volcano.
(d) An earthquake.
8. To what natural phenomenon does the term "Golden Section" refer?
(a) Animal growth.
(b) Plant growth.
(c) Wave patterns.
(d) Leaf patterns.
9. What composer was NOT mentioned among the list Ashton-Warner used in her classroom?
10. What color ears did Ashton-Warner say she sometimes saw in children's illustrations?
11. How long did the reading period last?
(a) 45 minutes.
(b) 30 minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 25 minutes.
12. What was the most powerful word under the "fear" category?
13. What was the maximum number of children Ashton-Warner felt a teacher could give individual attention to?
14. What figure signified divinity in the Chaldean writing system?
(a) A tree.
(b) A triangle.
(c) An eye.
(d) A dart.
15. In what year did Leo Tolstoy begin his peasant school?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which student chose "King of the Rocket Men" as a key word?
2. What did Ashton-Warner call the most "comely word" in the language?
3. At what time of day did Ashton-Warner "teach" the Golden Section?
4. What superhero was included in the list of student words in "Organic Reading"?
5. At what time of the day was "paste paint" listed in Ashton-Warner's daily schedule?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)